Ebay Result! And For The Seller This Time

I mentioned in a now locked thread, that I had had a bad experience with an eBay buyer, in as much as I sold the a printer, and when they recieved it they said it didn't work (it was perfect when sent). I asked them to return the printer and it was a different machine to what I had sole, same model but different printer.

To save getting negative feedback I told the buyer that I thought it was a different printer but I would refund them, which I did. About 3 weeks later the buyer said that I had not refunded them and gave me negative feedback anyway.

So to the crux of the story! Yesterday I rang Ebay and told them the situation and that I don't think I deserved negative feedback. They put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back and said that after looking at the case and the emails that had been passed between myself and the buyer, they agreed, and that they would remove the feedback putting me back to 100%, and they have :thumbsup:

So if you think you have been badly treated by a buyer and you think you have a good case, it's worth ringing them.

Here is the before and after result.

ebay1.jpg

ebay2.jpg

post-9727-0-75477600-1353518720_thumb.jp

post-9727-0-48928200-1353518731_thumb.jp

Edited by Steve Luigi
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I mentioned in a now locked thread, that I had had a bad experience with an eBay buyer, in as much as I sold the a printer, and when they recieved it they said it didn't work (it was perfect when sent). I asked them to return the printer and it was a different machine to what I had sole, same model but different printer.

What kind of people are we dealing with here? Who does this? I mean, sending back a different printer? It beggars belief!!! :dash2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

plenty of people, ive had it with records' it was cracked when i opened it', comes back not the same record...

But don't you only give them a refund after they've sent the record back?

And if the wrong record arrives back, then you report it to ebay and withold the refund?

I don't know, I'm just asking the question.

Social source share

But don't you only give them a refund after they've sent the record back?

And if the wrong record arrives back, then you report it to ebay and withold the refund?

I don't know, I'm just asking the question.

no, never, as long as the seller receives a parcel back from the buyer it doesn't matter what it is even, once there is proof you've got it or it's been sent back to you or even without proof, as a seller you are not safe from the dreaded paypal chargeback :(

just heard a story regarding discogs where a seller sent a unplayed copy with slight storage warp to germany, buyer got the record then said was not happy with the condition, sent the record back, got the money back from paypal & when the seller received the record back it had miraculously transformed into a well worn VG- copy of the same title :(

selling sucks :(

Social source share

no, never, as long as the seller receives a parcel back from the buyer it doesn't matter what it is even, once there is proof you've got it or it's been sent back to you or even without proof, as a seller you are not safe from the dreaded paypal chargeback :(

just heard a story regarding discogs where a seller sent a unplayed copy with slight storage warp to germany, buyer got the record then said was not happy with the condition, sent the record back, got the money back from paypal & when the seller received the record back it had miraculously transformed into a well worn VG- copy of the same title :(

selling sucks :(

But let's say you've got a photo of the one you sent, you could then show ebay / paypal the difference with a photo taken of the one that was returned, thus proving your point. Surely ebay / paypal would then come down in your favour?

Social source share

What kind of people are we dealing with here? Who does this? I mean, sending back a different printer? It beggars belief!!! :dash2:

I still don't believe this is a regular occurrence and that many sellers use this as an excuse to not accept returns. Of course I mainly buy records so this may happen more than I expect but I still don't believe it's "regular".

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

There's at least two people on here who do that, and they've been reported, and they're still here...

it shocks and appalls me that people are scummy enough to do this, its plain stealing

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I still don't believe this is a regular occurrence and that many sellers use this as an excuse to not accept returns. Of course I mainly buy records so this may happen more than I expect but I still don't believe it's "regular".

Bob

I work as a buyer in the IT spares industry and trust me it is rife, there are many many chancers out there and with the advent of ebay it is all too easy to rip people off on a daily basis and get away with it

Social source share

Had it happen to me quite a few times, either saying things are broken, or not recieved (that's another biggie).

My advice with records is to put a tiny security mark on with one of the invisible marker pens that you can get, and to prevent it happening, mention it in the description that it has been security marked to avoid wrongly returned items. It only has to be a tiny dot in a place where only you know where it is. Also recorded signed for delivery to avoid them saying that they haven't recieved an item, then you have proof that they have.

Edited by Steve Luigi
Social source share

Bob

I work as a buyer in the IT spares industry and trust me it is rife, there are many many chancers out there and with the advent of ebay it is all too easy to rip people off on a daily basis and get away with it

i'm not sure how well that compares to rare collectibles though. spare IT parts are available and not unique and you're usually dealing with larger entities.

i'm on a mostly record dealer forum and people almost never mention this issue with buyers. the most common issue people complain about involves scammer boogie buyers in certain countries who do chargebacks on everything.

Social source share

Had it happen to me quite a few times, either saying things are broken, or not recieved (that's another biggie).

My advice with records is to put a tiny security mark on with one of the invisible marker pens that you can get, and to prevent it happening, mention it in the description that it has been security marked to avoid wrongly returned items. It only has to be a tiny dot in a place where only you know where it is. Also recorded signed for delivery to avoid them saying that they haven't recieved an item, then you have proof that they have.

I've had lots of things broken that were poorly packaged by dealers and have (rarely) had stuff not received. I always send photos when communicating with the dealer. They always think that their crappy packaging is great and that you're lying unless you provide evidence. Putting a not immediately visible mark on your record isn't a bad idea though as a dealer. I just don't think that this type of fraud happens enough to warrant it, and it won't really make a difference with paypal anyways. The only reason for the mark would be to discourage the buyer from trying to cheat you.

Social source share

Well done Steve - I like it when things like this happen.

You were in the right and could prove you were in the right and Ebay backed you.

But what happens to the buyer that tried to rip you off?

How does Ebay deal with him?

Does he get a strongly worded letter from Ebay telling him he's been a naughty boy and not to do it again 'cos they're watching him...(that'll have him shaking like a jelly no doubt)

You've no idea if he's pulled the same trick before (chances are that he will have) so the only people that know are Ebay and the rogue buyer himself.

Maybe this chaps name has been flagged up before as "suspect", so when you complained to Ebay and mentioned his name, that's why you got such a rapid response within 5 minutes and got a good result.

Nice one.

derek

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='denbo' timestamp='1353519073' post='1828842'

worse, i bought a very rare record described as new, when the auction ended it had changed to used. when the record arrived it was vg- at the least, with scratches all over the label, cracked halfway through and chipped at the edge, when i advised the seller he accused me of swapping the record!!!!!!!!!!!! he told me he would have solicitors onto me the lot. so i called his bluff. suffice to say it was all a load of WALLETS and i got my 2000 dollars back. .....now that beggars belief.

Social source share

Well done Steve - I like it when things like this happen.

You were in the right and could prove you were in the right and Ebay backed you.

But what happens to the buyer that tried to rip you off?

How does Ebay deal with him?

Does he get a strongly worded letter from Ebay telling him he's been a naughty boy and not to do it again 'cos they're watching him...(that'll have him shaking like a jelly no doubt)

You've no idea if he's pulled the same trick before (chances are that he will have) so the only people that know are Ebay and the rogue buyer himself.

Maybe this chaps name has been flagged up before as "suspect", so when you complained to Ebay and mentioned his name, that's why you got such a rapid response within 5 minutes and got a good result.

Nice one.

derek

Thanks Derek and I agree, but you can always look at their feedback to see if they had done this type of thing before, which I did and he hadn't. I am sure that if he had he would have had some bad feedback from the 'ripped' sellers, but he didn't. I reakon he was trying it on and got away with the money, but not giving me bad feedback thankfully, which to me is worth more than £80
Social source share

Thanks Derek and I agree, but you can always look at their feedback to see if they had done this type of thing before, which I did and he hadn't. I am sure that if he had he would have had some bad feedback from the 'ripped' sellers, but he didn't. I reakon he was trying it on and got away with the money, but not giving me bad feedback thankfully, which to me is worth more than £80

sellers can't say negative things in positive feedback. it's against ebay policy (really). the buyer can get the feedback removed AND the seller will get in trouble.

Social source share

Steve don't forget that you are not allowed to leave buyers any bad feedback, if you leave a 'negative positive' they will remove it, you are f*cked mate, so when you deal with idiots and thieves like we both have, we can't even warn other sellers about them.

What I strongly disagree with though, is the fact that two record swappers doing it on Soul Source have been reported but are still here, as are people who send registered packages with no actual record in, fooling the buyer into signing for nothing. Still allowed to trade on here.

Social source share

Steve don't forget that you are not allowed to leave buyers any bad feedback, if you leave a 'negative positive' they will remove it, you are f*cked mate, so when you deal with idiots and thieves like we both have, we can't even warn other sellers about them.

What I strongly disagree with though, is the fact that two record swappers doing it on Soul Source have been reported but are still here, as are people who send registered packages with no actual record in, fooling the buyer into signing for nothing. Still allowed to trade on here.

No, what I was meaning by look for negative feedback, is negative feedback from buyers, not sellers. If someone had experienced the same problems as a buyer, maybe bought something that was not as described, and complained to the seller with no result, they can leave negative feedback. Sorry if the post was confusing. It's age related :glare:
Social source share

Yesterday I rang Ebay....So if you think you have been badly treated by a buyer and you think you have a good case, it's worth ringing them.

I always thought that for a big massive multinational company like Ebay it used to have a terrible customer service record.

For years there was never a phone number advertised anywhere for customers to ring up for advice re complaints etc (that speaks for itself in my book - they don't want to get bogged down by phone complaints, after all it's much easier for them to fend you off online).

And then when you did found a number to ring it was in Luxemborg which sorta puts many people off I guess from ringing due to the percieved high cost.

Its only in recent years that they've added a phone number for customer enquiries.

Thanks Derek and I agree, but you can always look at their feedback to see if they had done this type of thing before, which I did and he hadn't.

Oops you're right steve - I overlooked this point in my giddiness to rant.

derek

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

This is just me thinking out loud but!!

If all British soul 45 record sellers stopped selling on Ebay & any other internet sites & went back to only selling by mail list & out of a 45 box’s at venues to known & trusted buyers it would save them all a bit of money & attendance may just improve at soul nights & Nighters!! :g:

Steve J

Social source share

If all British soul 45 record sellers stopped selling on Ebay & any other internet sites & went back to only selling by mail list & out of a 45 box’s at venues to known & trusted buyers it would save them all a bit of money & attendance may just improve at soul nights & Nighters!! :g:

Steve J

I have to agree. In the good old days before the internet, you had to rely on lists, sellers and going to events to find what you wanted. Now all you have to do is to surf the net. It has taken a lot of fun and excitement out of collecting. Good idea by the way, but it will never happen again, I think a lot of collectors have got lazy and would just prefer to sit at a computer looking for the tunes, me included I hate to admit. After all we are getting on a bit and it's the easier option, and to be perfectly honest, you didn't/don't get many sellers at events that don't know what they are selling and don't know how much they are worth, unlike many on eBay etc., so grabbing a bargain would be a harder task. Edited by Steve Luigi
Social source share

Steve J

If all british soul 45 sellers would stop selling on Ebay, the number of bootlegs, counterfeits, illegal 2nd issues and carvers would drop by 100%. The number of worthwhile US originals wouldn't drop significantly IMO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!