Poll - Your Black Music Preferences - New Questions Added

Barry

Preferences  

1. 1. As a lover of Black Music, what predominantly are your preferences?

• Sixties Soul
    • Sixties and Seventies Soul
    • Seventies and Eighties Soul
    • Seventies to present day but no House Beats
    • A bit of it all - Northern Soul, Modern, Soul, House, Jazz, Funk, Disco
  2. 2. What age group do you fall into:

• 20 - 25
    • 25 - 30
    • 30 - 35
    • 35 - 40
    • 40 - 45
    • 45 - 50
    • 50 - 55
    • 55 - 60
    • Brian Rae
  3. 3. Would you say this is a better site for allowing all kinds of Soul to be discussed?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 81
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Shame you didn't make it a bit wider - reggae, afrobeat, hip hop, and so on - but maybe I'm in a minority there! :huh:

Youre right mate - didn't think at the time - should have asked for an age split on each section too but hey ho.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

The third question is my last question by the way - Cheers now! :thumbsup:

Not sure if you are seeing what I am but it appears that I have to delete my original votes on the earlier questions, then vote on all three questions - is that right?

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Shame you didn't make it a bit wider - reggae, afrobeat, hip hop, and so on - but maybe I'm in a minority there! :huh:

Youre right mate - didn't think at the time - should have asked for an age split on each section too but hey ho.

i agree mate, I'd throw latin and ethnic rock in there too.

I'd be with you guys if it wasn't for that "predominantly" bit in the question. I listen to all sorts of quality music yet predominantly 60s and 70s soul.

Social source share

Ska, rocksteady and reggae from 1969 to the mid 80s and I'm,43.

Sorry Ska-lites but I may have underestimated the views of our members - it is expressed mainly as a Soul site, we I would hope that there are a group of viwers that are of the afore-mentioned musical group....please feel free to start your own poll.

Social source share

Thing I find interesting about this is the results of the age of the voters - the biggest percentage is from the 50+ section - which is exactly what we have been saying all along, we're the last of a dying breed and going by the rest of the figures, there's not going to be enough people to replace us when we've gone.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thing I find interesting about this is the results of the age of the voters - the biggest percentage is from the 50+ section - which is exactly what we have been saying all along, we're the last of a dying breed and going by the rest of the figures, there's not going to be enough people to replace us when we've gone.

Taking Brian into consideration Pete, I've got a good 20+ years left. :)

Social source share

Barry

I can't believe over 1400 views & only 80 odd votes :excl:

a lot of indecision me thinks :wink:

You need to be a member or logged in to vote I think mate - no better time to join Soul Source and fight your corner ay? :D

163 votes on the first q though - good turnout from the board that.

Edited by Barry
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Great thread & poll Barry.

Bit bemused that some folks have voted no to poll 3 though. Site is called Soul Source & not Soul Source as long as it fits into your little pigeonhole.

I gave the choice as I knew there would be some that would prefer it to be a more musically 'stream-lined' site shall we say haha - but I think half the fun of this site is the conflict....it can change your views on things somewhat after seeing a good argument- sorry - discussion :wink: can't it?.

Plus we all learn something along the way.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I gave the choice as I knew there would be some that would prefer it to be a more musically 'stream-lined' site shall we say haha - but I think half the fun of this site is the conflict....it can change your views on things somewhat after seeing a good argument- sorry - discussion :wink: can't it?.

Plus we all learn something along the way.

Thing that's always drawn me to this site is the overall Soul music appeal be it Northern, Modern & everything in between.

Plenty of other sites out there that cover specific genre's & most of them are very good at what they do.

Probably because 'Soul Source as long as it fits into your little pigeonhole' is a really stupid name for a forum?

:lol:
Social source share

Being a North American, and a general Soul fan, rather than a "Northern Soul" fan, my votes are probably of less interest. But, I posted them anyway. I'm over 60, so there was no age category for me. So, I chose Brian Rae. I take it that he's the oldest Soulie known to exist.

Also, the 3rd poll question is unanswerable (at least in The King's English (we had a King when I grew up). To wit:

Would you say this is a BETTER site for allowing all kinds of Soul to be discussed?

Better than what? Did you mean would we say this is a good sight or excellent site for discussing all kinds of Soul music? Or might you be more interested in knowing if we think there are better sites to discuss ALL types of Soul music (as this one concentrates on Northern Soul)?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

tough question to answer, with no R&B option I thought i'd have to plump for 60's soul but then i do like a little modern, soulful house etc so in the end I ended up taking the everything option

Social source share

Sorry Ska-lites but I may have underestimated the views of our members - it is expressed mainly as a Soul site, we I would hope that there are a group of viwers that are of the afore-mentioned musical group....please feel free to start your own poll.

Then why is ska and reggae starting to appear at some soul venues often in second rooms then? Or did I dream that up?

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Should have included a section or inclusion in a section for the classic blues artists such as the mighty voiced Howling Wolf and the king bb,Otis Smith etc with musicianshipship and voices to drip emotion at every note.

Social source share

Then why is ska and reggae starting to appear at some soul venues often in second rooms then? Or did I dream that up?

I'll tell you what mate - I put this poll together at the drop of a hat - I've not sat and spent weeks trying to put a question together trying to second guess everyone's slightest musical whim.

If you're not happy with it - as I said, start your own poll, instead of whingeing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Should have included a section or inclusion in a section for the classic blues artists such as the mighty voiced Howling Wolf and the king bb,Otis Smith etc with musicianshipship and voices to drip emotion at every note.

...and the same goes for you Manus. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Results showing so far:

Q.1

204 votes.

58.82% ( 2 in 3) of voters are made up of people who predominantly listen to 60's & 70's.

38.73% (1 in 3) are predominantly across the board with Soul/Black music.

2.45% may or may not listen to 60's.

This would show that the board is still predominantly a stalwart NS board.

Q.2

141 votes

90.07% of voters are made up of people ranging from 40 to 60.

6.39% of voters are under 40.

3.55% are over 60.

This would state that these voters were interested in Soul/All-Nighter active as early as 1968 and at the back end, voters started attending/following the scene around 1996 (taking that people generally started all nighters at 16).

Also, as Pete said - it's not looking good for new blood with only four voters being under 35 (...and even less good for the Brian Rae's haha...sorry lads :wink:) .

That's one youth to every thirty codgers - sounds about right. :lol:

Q.3

137 votes

One in seven would prefer this to be a traditional Northern Soul or Sixties and Seventies only site - or more to the point six in seven are happy with it as it stands.

The good thing about these votes is that although 58.82% are predominantly 60's and 70's lovers, 86.86% of voters are happy with all forms of Soul being discussed.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Should I try and shufty up a more detailed Poll then?

As I said earlier this just popped into my head and I banged it up.

I'm sure with a bit of thought and co-operation we can get something more interesting together.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

baz

there's been a reggae/ska section on here for years

maybe better if you leave the site related stuff out of these polls

as it may/can kick up too many issues

keep them to the music and the people etc, leave site stuff to the feedback forum ?

I am aware of that Mike - but as I've said above, I just thought of the poll and put it up, I didn't sit and think about it too much.

With the benefit of hindsight there are many of things that I could have put in, which I've attempted to address by asking should we tray to do a more in depth poll whereby I can address more widely peoples views.

I personally was more interested in the Soul side of things, which is why I construcetd it the way I did.

I didn't think for one minute that the poll would get the attention it has.

Social source share

Barry started a lighthearted poll on here which most people voted in the general term of his original post , then you get some people coming on asking why Ska and the like were not included , this is called Soul Source and mainly we discuss SOUL MUSIC as Barry said start another Poll about Ska if you feel the need.

Social source share

Barry started a lighthearted poll on here which most people voted in the general term of his original post , then you get some people coming on asking why Ska and the like were not included , this is called Soul Source and mainly we discuss SOUL MUSIC as Barry said start another Poll about Ska if you feel the need.

I am aware of that Mike - but as I've said above, I just thought of the poll and put it up, I didn't sit and think about it too much.

With the benefit of hindsight there are many of things that I could have put in, which I've attempted to address by asking should we tray to do a more in depth poll whereby I can address more widely peoples views.

I personally was more interested in the Soul side of things, which is why I construcetd it the way I did.

I didn't think for one minute that the poll would get the attention it has.

no probs Barry

understand that was a quick off the cuff affair

just commented on the site stuff as it can start getting a bit messy if not careful

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!