James Carr Losing Game Goldwax

IsmaelG

Hi ,

Could anybody tell if the picture record is the original one?

Acccording to Manship's guide there are 3 different pressings: Dj , blue and yellow.

Searching on the net I have seen two yellow issues , this one and the classic design yellow with a white strip.

Thanks in advance,

Ismael G

post-3371-0-78420100-1353855683_thumb.jp

Social source share

All

Quite a task there mate, as you've got the earlier releases when they were distributed by Vee-Jay etc. good luck with that! Sure theAmy-Mala- Bell link up didn't kick in til '66 think the Vel-Tones was the first on the yellow & white label, never seen a blue styrene on this title, previous to this release you have local release (gold) and and the usual Vee-Jay black east coast and yellow west coast varieties.... I'm sure Garethx can add to this!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Mike, Naoya Yamauchi used to have a few pages on his site regarding the different Goldwax label variants.

Unfortunately it's seems to be no longer available

Social source share

The design on this release, curved with the disc is from the 300 series and began in 1966.

The Veltones Tony mentions is 301, the Ovations was the first on this design according to R&B Indies, 300 "Don't Cry".

Initially distributed by London (1st release only 910 William Wigfall & The Lyrics)) but quickly moved to Tollie/Vee Jay for all the releases 101 - 120.

According to R&B Indies 4 designs before the 300 series, all variants of a block type font...clearly wrong though.

101 - 107

post-225-0-26316800-1353870126_thumb.jpg

108 - 112

113 -120

post-225-0-16026100-1353870108_thumb.jpg

post-225-0-51648600-1353869961_thumb.jpe

300 series blue styrene

post-225-0-84808100-1353869965_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Just found this site, shows the different designs and the distributors.....R&B Indies need to do a bit more homework.

https://45-sleeves.co...wax/gold-us.htm

Nice one Chalks, pretty much as I said :yes:

Still not seen Vel-Tones on styrene though, it exists on 300, so it must be out there! I've had Ivory Joe Hunter on both and thought they were pretty hard and good and very underated!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just found this site, shows the different designs and the distributors.....R&B Indies need to do a bit more homework.

https://45-sleeves.co...wax/gold-us.htm

Good as far as it goes but it misses the Tollie demos which had Goldwax written across the top (i.e not following round the record), the light blue (e.g. well's gone dry), and the larger yellow and red variant. Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We should all pile onto Cat 45 and stick them all up. They've got some brilliant guys on there that can date and locate a Columbia pressing just by the font size / format of font used and know all of the different litho / label printers on the East Coast. But on Goldwax they've a way to go yet.....Just as well we have em all :wicked:

Social source share

Mike, Naoya Yamauchi used to have a few pages on his site regarding the different Goldwax label variants.

Unfortunately it's seems to be no longer available

I have already closed the page of Goldwax labels and other pages due to my server capacity.

Regarding the original Goldwax label in #300 series, there are basically 4 types which are blue printed directly on the disk, yellow, yellow with white stripe and white DJ. But there are boot copies on the yellow and yellow with white stripe copies. The original copy of which has clear printing of Goldwax logo in the "O" of Goldwax. The boot copy has unclear printing of it like blurred.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!