Lee Rogers On Soul Wheel And Loadstone

Premium Stuff

Hi everyone

Lee Rogers recorded 'Love Bandit' on Soul Wheel and Loadstone.

I have both somewhere, but would have to dig them out and I wondered if anyone could confirm whether the two versions are different.

SoulfulKindaMusic says:

Soul Wheel 101 - Love Bandit (Vocal) / Love Bandit (Instrumental) — 1970

Loadstone 3952 - Love Bandit (Vocal) / Love Bandit (Instrumental) — 1973 (The same recording as Soul Wheel 101 but with added horns)

What is interesting here is the different versions and 3-year gap between the releases. Soul Wheel was a Detroit label but wasn't Loadstone West Coast?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest trickbag

22-LoveBand.jpg

With the chance of getting another Detroit recording deal drastically reduced, Lee decided that it was time to start his own label: Soul Wheel. The only release was his "Love Bandit," a bluesy number that Lee wrote, produced, and subsequently sold to Loadstone Records owner Charles Stone, who added horns and put it out on his own LA-based label. It sold reasonably well, but Marvin Gaye was basking in his gloriously rhetorical anthem, "What's Going On," to which Lee might have been tempted to reply, "You tell me."

Lee located to the West Coast to try his luck, but suffered a car accident that left him with one kidney and hospitalized for months at a time.

He signed a three year contract with Motown that ended in the late 70's without any success, after which he started his own California based D-Town label.

The sense of deja vu was compounded by the use of Mike's 60's logo but the venture never came close to catching the dynamism of those Detroit days.

A few 45's were released during the mid-80's including Lee's "Rocking Skates" 45, but that was his last recording.

Lee died in 1990.

Notes thanks to Graham Finch

heres some info that might help Richard.

ricky.

post-22229-0-20748900-1354469925_thumb.j

Social source share

I have both and I'm sure they are the same recording but both filed away somewhere!

I think I have all his US releases and an unreleased acitate on United Sound called Play a fair game.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul

I have that "Play A Fair Game" on an old tape somewhere.

Is that the only copy of the acetate do you know, or are there others knocking about?

Is it just the one track on it, or are there others? :g:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

I have that "Play A Fair Game" on an old tape somewhere.

Is that the only copy of the acetate do you know, or are there others knocking about?

Is it just the one track on it, or are there others? :g:

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

I don't know if it is a one off.

The other side is Sad Affair (DTown)

His 80's releases on Dtown and Platinum Sound are quite rare.

Regards

Paul

Social source share

22-LoveBand.jpg

With the chance of getting another Detroit recording deal drastically reduced, Lee decided that it was time to start his own label: Soul Wheel. The only release was his "Love Bandit," a bluesy number that Lee wrote, produced, and subsequently sold to Loadstone Records owner Charles Stone, who added horns and put it out on his own LA-based label. It sold reasonably well, but Marvin Gaye was basking in his gloriously rhetorical anthem, "What's Going On," to which Lee might have been tempted to reply, "You tell me."

Lee located to the West Coast to try his luck, but suffered a car accident that left him with one kidney and hospitalized for months at a time.

He signed a three year contract with Motown that ended in the late 70's without any success, after which he started his own California based D-Town label.

The sense of deja vu was compounded by the use of Mike's 60's logo but the venture never came close to catching the dynamism of those Detroit days.

A few 45's were released during the mid-80's including Lee's "Rocking Skates" 45, but that was his last recording.

Lee died in 1990.

Notes thanks to Graham Finch

heres some info that might help Richard.

ricky.

Hi Ricky the flip to Rockin' Skates is It must be love (coming down on me). is the better side (as good as his 60's sides) issued 1980 and was part of Platinum Sound, Lee had two releases on Platinum Sound and I have one other by Debbie Clinton (there is suposed to be a Lee Rogers Album on Platinum Sound but I have never seen it). I also have three other releases on the 80's DTown label Jena Johnson - Joe Rubins & Coy's Toyz

Regards

Paul

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ricky the flip to Rockin' Skates is It must be love (coming down on me). is the better side (as good as his 60's sides) issued 1980 and was part of Platinum Sound, Lee had two releases on Platinum Sound and I have one other by Debbie Clinton (there is suposed to be a Lee Rogers Album on Platinum Sound but I have never seen it). I also have three other releases on the 80's DTown label Jena Johnson - Joe Rubins & Coy's Toyz

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!