Baby Earl- Back Slop- Spqr

jimmysoulful

• 2 weeks later...
soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
Guest junior964

Hello,

I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA USA...I just wanted to inform you that while you are looking for this record. Be aware that the black and white labels are in fact boots. These records where released in Pittsburgh in the mid 70's. I see on eBay all the time paying large amounts of money for these boots. They never released this record with a white label. The released them with "promotional copy" on the colored label. Just giving you a heads up. :)

Regards

Junior

post-29149-0-76403700-1354810028_thumb.jpost-29149-0-14260000-1354810041_thumb.j

Social source share

White demos have a Delta number and are stamped on dead wax so they seem to be legit. On the other hand why would have they been bootleged in the mid 70s if there wasn't interest at all by then in this kind of music??

hi, it might have been bootlegged because of the demand from the local dance scene, which was quite big at the time. another record bootlegged especially for the pittsburgh scene is manny corchado - the fly

Social source share

thought delta numbers were west coast L.A......ain,t S.P.Q.R east coast????? odd!!

That orange SPQR looks like it was pressed by London at Monarch, I think most London & related's are styrene and would have been pressed there. Then again, without seeing the run off, could have been pressed at Columbia.

Actually just ignore this - it's definitely not a local issue though.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Although Pittsburgh didn't have the same live music scene to the same extent that Cities like Detroit, Philly, Chicago had, it had a MASSIVE record based dance scene, thanks to the likes of D.J.'s like Mad Mike, Porky Chadwick etc and tunes like Baby Earl were big local sounds along with Harvey, Manny Corchado, Leo Price, Tommy Neal, Delcos, Annabelle Caesar and many, many others.I've had quite a few copies of this tune out of the 'burgh, but it doesn't look and feel like a pressing, like the Harvey, Annabelle Caesar (Red vinyl) and Mosquitos (Manny Corchado). I do suspect however that the Tommy Neal on the Purple label is a Pittsburgh variant, as I 've had a few of those from the town. Pittsburgh is known as the "45 capital of the U.S.A."

Des Parker

• Helpful 1
Social source share