Rockittt

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Didn't get there till after 2 (Southside soul club's anniversary night beforehand) but must say I thoroughly enjoyed both the main room and the RnB room. Can't remember the name of dj in the RnB room who was from the North East, seemed drunk, was incoherent on the mike and played a blinder (some of the best new RnB I've heard in ages - fantastic).

Warren Boogaloo

Didn't get there till after 2 (Southside soul club's anniversary night beforehand) but must say I thoroughly enjoyed both the main room and the RnB room. Can't remember the name of dj in the RnB room who was from the North East, seemed drunk, was incoherent on the mike and played a blinder (some of the best new RnB I've heard in ages - fantastic).

Warren Boogaloo

That'll be Hoss, Warren. A quiet, laid back bloke who doesn't know how to have a good time and is tea total !! :D:yes::P

Thought the night was excellent. All the DJ's seemed to play an oldies (not same old same old but classy yet known tunes) spot and then some of the more current plays in their second stint.

Lovely to hear Ady C spin "A little bit hurt" - Julian Covey which really got the crowd buzzin'. Right time right place I thinks.

Atmosphere was brilliant and company splendid with travellers from afar afield as Derby (that I know of) and of course the South Coast. Looked pretty well attended but as from about 4 it started to thin out a bit. Ady C will probably confirm what the official attendance was but all in all a good turn out and great night.

Plus - its the first time I've ever seen someone drink a glass of water whilst asleep - or was he just resting his eyes???? Something else that Ady may want to elaborate on :P

Well done Ady and Rob. Look 4ward to the next one.

Edited by SteveC

That'll be Hoss, Warren. A quiet, laid back bloke who doesn't know how to have a good time and is tea total !! :P:P:D

that could almost be you steve :yes: I do try and contain myself Moldie but I lose control quite easily especially when you've got the likes of those Brighton belles with you - I dare anyone to not act like a 5 year old when they're in their company :P

Edited by SteveC

Pretty good as it go`s,left early tho` should have stoped but didnt.....shane you o me £3....... :angry: .... :yes:

i do ken. :D

will send you a whsmith book voucher in the post tomorrow :P

we left early too for the bus. good night tho. nice to meet up with the tufnell/chelmsford crew (gareth/lisa/trouble/jennifer). cheers :P

Shane

What a great night - well done to Ady & Rob .... and more importantly to ALL the dj's... top quality music in both the main Soul Room and the R&B room throughout - managed to keep me dancing for the vast majority of the night!

Looking forward to the next one!

Hadnt planned to go ... was at the south side anniversary do and at 1.30am was offered a lift there and back by the lovely carmel... just couldnt resist it, glad we did, had a brilliant time

Well just come in from a hard day graph surprising nothings been said about the rocket Saturday is there some sort of code of science going on or wot,if it was a shit venue Saturday night they soon be slagging it off one of the best night i've been to in a long time exellent line up full house lots of soul source members there and music across the board,i take my hat off to you Ady down stairs was a gamble(IMO)and it payed off whens the next one.Billy only live twice

What a great night - well done to Ady & Rob .... and more importantly to ALL the dj's... top quality music in both the main Soul Room and the R&B room throughout - managed to keep me dancing for the vast majority of the night!

Looking forward to the next one!

Thought it was a great night, had to leave early which was a shame.

Rowly was that you early on with the "allright simsy you old b@stard" comment? :P

Well just come in from a hard day graph surprising nothings been said about the rocket Saturday is there some sort of code of science going on or wot,if it was a shit venue Saturday night they soon be slagging it off one of the best night i've been to in a long time exellent line up full house lots of soul source members there and music across the board,i take my hat off to you Ady down stairs was a gamble(IMO)and it payed off whens the next one.Billy only live twice

Yeah a bloody cracking night, I even had that Keb Darge on the E-mail saying what a top time he had.

Next one is July 22nd when there will defo be an all night bar (not that many looked too sober at any stage on Saturday) and probably an extra soul room to make it even more essential for soul fans.

All the DJs got the oldies/raries balance right and the 400+ crowd danced their buttocks off. Thanks to all.

Some of my favourite tunes were played, great...except they sounded like a hoover attatched to a microphone put through an amp turned up past distortion level. No one expects DJs to worry about the desk, but if the promoters got an engineer in to set levels before the do to an average default and the DJs were encouraged to not push it to far out of a certain range then it might be better. Rant over

Lovely to see some top people, and to hang out with Trouble, Jen, Shane and Liz before. Relieved to see Innes wasn't too badly hurt after Friday's debacle, and Simon look recovered.

Evening's highlight: Seeing Marco, all loved up, stroking Keb's leg, who needs Broke Back Mountain?!

Some of my favourite tunes were played, great...except they sounded like a hoover attatched to a microphone put through an amp turned up past distortion level. No one expects DJs to worry about the desk, but if the promoters got an engineer in to set levels before the do to an average default and the DJs were encouraged to not push it to far out of a certain range then it might be better. Rant over

As it 'appens, there was an engineer there all night. I thought the sound was OK but it's an incredibly hard thing to ascertain after a drink or two and several hours in the same environment. Like most nights I do I asked several people if the sound was OK and they said it was. If anyone notices it being particularly bad please tell me and I'm sure there will be something I can do, but if I don't know it'll stay the same.

Guest in town Mikey

Is Dave Taylor 50s Dave? AKA nylons?

Gutted I am going to be away visiting my brother. Well not that gutted, quite excited, but you catch my drift.

As it 'appens, there was an engineer there all night. I thought the sound was OK but it's an incredibly hard thing to ascertain after a drink or two and several hours in the same environment. Like most nights I do I asked several people if the sound was OK and they said it was. If anyone notices it being particularly bad please tell me and I'm sure there will be something I can do, but if I don't know it'll stay the same.

It might be that it's my job to monitor sound quality but I wasn't the only person who said it. I think alot of people have battered their ears over the years (I'm a poet). I know that Alan H asked Gareth to identify a record which he couldn't, it turned out to be something they both knew well but couldn't identify!

WHAT YER NEED AT THE NEXT GIG IS THAT WELSH GEORDIEFEMALE LIKE ENGINEER DJ PERSON NOT TO FAR FROM NEWARK

thumbsup.gif:)

Guest Stuart T

Alan asked me to identify a record Mick H played. I couldn't make head nor tail of it and went up to ask Mick what it was. It turned out to be Damon Fox on Fairmount: a record we've both probably heard about four thousand times!

Maybe he was playing that recent low-fi pressing of it.... thumbsup.gif:)

try my luck again here instead. what was that track that is a version of Art Wheeler ?? Another one Keb played on Sunday was another better version of losing control (did he say Passionettes or something like that ). Forgot to ask about Sandy Golden though . Once again a brilliant night thumbsup.gif

try my luck again here instead. what was that track that is a version of Art Wheeler ?? Another one Keb played on Sunday was another better version of losing control (did he say Passionettes or something like that ). Forgot to ask about Sandy Golden though . Once again a brilliant night :unsure:

Thanks Soulof, the version of Losing Control is on Kent's Northern Sool's Classiest Rareties Vol 2 CDKEND 248 by the Fashionettes whose singer was 15 years old and sounds incredible.

It might be that it's my job to monitor sound quality but I wasn't the only person who said it. I think alot of people have battered their ears over the years (I'm a poet). I know that Alan H asked Gareth to identify a record which he couldn't, it turned out to be something they both knew well but couldn't identify!

As you're responsible for sound on GMTV, do you think that you could do something with the levels on Keith Chegwin. He appears to be shouting all the time. Frankly I'm not really a morning person & I find his behaviour a little bit distburbing.

Col.