• Replies 33
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

obscure maybe but is it any good :ohmy:

apart from i need you and tow away zone this is the only other uptempo release by diane, of course it isnt really northerrn [but i do think levine tried this once or twice art the mecca]its more funk i think this is a good record especially if you like the creative funk sound, its all about us recycling our minds :ohmy:

Social source share

• 11 months later...
Guest mel brat

apart from i need you and tow away zone this is the only other uptempo release by diane, of course it isnt really northerrn [but i do think levine tried this once or twice art the mecca]its more funk i think this is a good record especially if you like the creative funk sound, its all about us recycling our minds :thumbsup:

What about "Sweet Music, Wine And My Imagination" (or whatever it's called!) That was Northern wasn't it? Or is that on the other side? (My copy is currently packed away) It came through in bulk mid-1974 - a full year before "Tow-A-Way Zone" et. al. was played!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

obscure maybe but is it any good :thumbsup:

If this is the B-side to "Sweet Wine, Music And My Imagination" it isn't AT ALL obscure, as many of us bought it back in 1974, before the other two got spins a t'Mecca! If so, I like it! Mid-tempo dancer, rather like "Memories And Souvenirs" by Laura Greene.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

If this is the B-side to "Sweet Wine, Music And My Imagination" it isn't AT ALL obscure, as many of us bought it back in 1974, before the other two got spins a t'Mecca! If so, I like it! Mid-tempo dancer, rather like "Memories And Souvenirs" by Laura Greene.

mel not the b side of sweet wine, recycle was a year earlier 73

Social source share

Ref: Recycle.

I've never seen this record before?? Seems no reason for it to clash with release # 2002..strange.

Actually #2003 is a mystery to me it is the only Creative Funk 45 in the series we've not had in stock. Anyone know what it is???

#2002 "Recycle" is NOT in the funk & Groove or R&B Indies book listings.

Watch this space, maybe truly rare and authentic; but don't be surprised if it's been lifted from a studio tape and pressed as a 45, that has happened before a few times. I'm sure time will reveal all...

Social source share

I think this is the Creative Funk 45 that Jazzman Gerald sold last year for about £200 - not this exact copy - so not a one off. But obviously rare if JM hasn't seen a copy. I think I will ask Gerald what he knew about it, as he obviously knew enough to price it high.

Edited by Dean Rudland
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

This listing (4827177352) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.????????????????????????????????? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ref: Recycle.

Watch this space, maybe truly rare and authentic; but don't be surprised if it's been lifted from a studio tape and pressed as a 45, that has happened before a few times. I'm sure time will reveal all...

this record is real, ive had this since before tow away zone or i need you were played at the mecca before there was intrest in diane or creative funk, recycle did get one or two mecca plays in the time when there was so much new stuff every week

the item has dissapeared because this topic is a year old the price as i remember was £300, ive always known this was rare but that surprised me

Social source share

i missed the previous thread last year so all this as probably been covered diane jenkins was the lead vocalist on creative funks releases on the label im missing 12004 so would be obliged if someone could let me know what it is

1200 - creative funk - ready made family/ funk power

1201 - creative funk- the whole groove / the whole thing (INST)

12000 -creative funk - ready made family / funk power

12001 -creative funk - moving world /breezies

12002 - diane jenkins - towaway zone / anniversary

12003 - diane jenkins - gee baby / recycle

12004 - funk machine - soul santa

12005 -diane jenkins - sweet wine music / im a woman

12006 -diane jenkins - i need you( voc)/i need you inst

12007 -

12008 -the limelights - before the next teardrop falls /inst

these are the ones i knew of could it be that 12002 is a misprint and should be 12003

and am i right in thinking that when ian levine met diane jenkins in 1974 he had a hand either in writing or producing 12006 - i need you - almost as a taylor made for the highland room

Edited by Tony Parker
Social source share

i missed the previous thread last year so all this as probably been covered diane jenkins was the lead vocalist on creative funks releases on the label im missing 12004 so would be obliged if someone could let me know what it is

12004 -

and am i right in thinking that when ian levine met diane jenkins in 1974 he had a hand either in writing or producing 12006 - i need you - almost as a taylor made for the highland room

The Limelites - 'Before the Next Teardrop Falls ' vocal & inst was from the same period - I no longer have my copy, sold it some years ago so cannot confirm its no.

I have Levines story about 'I Need you' somewhere - I'll post it if I can find it.

Mike

Social source share

The Limelites - 'Before the Next Teardrop Falls ' vocal & inst was from the same period - I no longer have my copy, sold it some years ago so cannot confirm its no.

I have Levines story about 'I Need you' somewhere - I'll post it if I can find it.

Mike

thanks mike ive edited my label listing

Social source share

am i right in thinking that when ian levine met diane jenkins in 1974 he had a hand either in writing or producing 12006 - i need you - almost as a taylor made for the highland room

from the man himself....

Well as I couldn't find the earlier postoing, here goes.....

I tracked down Creative Funk label owner Deke DeBerry. He's now living

in Carolina.

His brother Gary DeBerry still lives in New York, and was the bass

player in Creative Funk.

Back in 1976, Sheila Hart and I went with them all to an open air

concert upstate New York for radio station WLIB. Diane Jenkins performed

with Creative Funk, and I got introduced to the audience. It was what

was called a "Picnic In The Park".

We'd made "Tow Away Zone" such an underground hit at Blackpool Mecca and

the Northern Soul scene, that they'd asked me to explain what sound we

were into, and so "I Need You" was born, as an attempt to create

something that the Northern Soul Scene would also like.

Anyway, forward to 1999. We were desperately trying to find Diane for

the "Strange World Of Northern Soul".

Gary DeBerry tracked her down to a block of flats in Brooklyn and got

her phone number. But she wouldn't return any messages. He said he'd

heard she was a bit of a junkie, but didn't know if this was true or

not. In the end, he went over to Brooklyn twice, but couldn't get her to

even answer the door. I left many pleading messages on her answer phone,

but to no avail. As I said...... The STRANGE world of Northern Soul.

Ian Levine

Moderator - Advanced Northern Soul List

Mike

Social source share

thanks again mike suprised levines saying 76 im gonna have to delve into my old copys of black music as theres a article and picture of him with diane jenkins i thought it was 74/5 but its a long time ago and i have trouble remembering what i did yesterday , so its up in the loft for me a searching

Edited by Tony Parker
Social source share

this record is real, ive had this since before tow away zone or i need you were played at the mecca before there was intrest in diane or creative funk, recycle did get one or two mecca plays in the time when there was so much new stuff every week

the item has dissapeared because this topic is a year old the price as i remember was £300, ive always known this was rare but that surprised me

So the release # is the 03 which I've never had in stock, not the 02 as previously quoted. Is this correct? The label listing seems to validate that. Has anyone a scan of it? That would be great if they have..

Social source share

So the release # is the 03 which I've never had in stock, not the 02 as previously quoted. Is this correct? The label listing seems to validate that. Has anyone a scan of it? That would be great if they have..

No. "Recycle" is 12002 as well.

"Gee Baby What About You" is on the flipside.

There was a scan posted above, but here it is again:

post-1392-1169210468_thumb.jpg

And here's another one:

190033121157.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Sebastian,

Any chance of asoundclip of BOTH sides..

So what is # 03 then ? anyone know?

12002A/12003A Diane Jenkins - Recycle / Gee baby, what about you (different label numbers on each side). Info supplied by Jens Chreisti.

https://www.raresoulforum.co.uk/index.php?s...l=creative+funk

But what about the mystery with the two possible three different versions of "I need you"?

Edited by KarlM
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!