Texas Louisianna

hope this is in the correct section if not, sorry please move.

Ok being a long time soul boy, ok maybe not that long as i only got into the scene in the early 80's back in cambridge. I now reside in Texas where i am trying to get a soul night going, as i have always been more into the toons than the history i never realised how much came from this area. The local people are unaware of it and as such the artists and labels have become forgotton.

If anyone would be kind enough to pass on some knowlege of labels, artists and studios from around this area that produced "northern Soul" i would be very grateful. At the time if an artist was black and did not play the blues or zydeco he was forgotten. In my opinion it is about time these guys got the local recognition that they deserved.

I bow to your superior knowlege on the scene and hope to learn and in turn pass it on.

many thanks

andrew

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

there's masses out there

big outfits like duke/peacock (houston i think???)

bands like the commands, tsu toronadoes, archie bell, soul bros inc, ray and the blue satins...could add hundreds probably to that list!

texas and louisiana were real hotbeds.

internet searches will help i'd think.

will add more as they occur to me, sure others will too.

there's masses out there

big outfits like duke/peacock (houston i think???)

bands like the commands, tsu toronadoes, archie bell, soul bros inc, ray and the blue satins...could add hundreds probably to that list!

texas and louisiana were real hotbeds.

internet searches will help i'd think.

will add more as they occur to me, sure others will too.

actually think duke are from memphis whistling.gif

but there are loads whistling.gif

Social source share

https://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/asp/produc...rchFor=&PT_ID=1

Above link takes you to the Texas Funk Cd put out from Jazzman. Rare funk - informative sleeve notes should help you on your way round some of the lesser known artists etc.

Duke / Peacock / Back Beat - Don Robeys group of labels - Awesome catalogue

https://www.iconnect.net/home/bsnpubs/robey.html - More info on the label...

Its a massive field of soul - so good luck!!!

ATB

Rich

Social source share

https://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/asp/produc...rchFor=&PT_ID=1

Above link takes you to the Texas Funk Cd put out from Jazzman. Rare funk - informative sleeve notes should help you on your way round some of the lesser known artists etc.

Duke / Peacock / Back Beat - Don Robeys group of labels - Awesome catalogue

https://www.iconnect.net/home/bsnpubs/robey.html - More info on the label...

Its a massive field of soul - so good luck!!!

ATB

Rich

Also: https://www.globaldogproductions.com/

Link was posted up on here ( sorry forgot who found it ) - Listings of labels you'll def. find of interest.

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Duke definitely a Houston, Texas label.

Been playing Paulette Parker 'Gimme Back My Love' lately.

What a bassline! yes.gif

you're right tony. i thought so as have been there (ie to houston) and met some of the people involved but just had a moment's doubt. it started out in memphis, but moved:

Duke Records was formed in 1952 by David J. Mattis and Bill Fitzgerald in Memphis, Tennessee. Duke and Peacock were combined in a partnership in August 1952. The most successful artists in the Duke lineup were Johnny Ace and Roscoe Gordon. In April 1953, Don Robey obtained full control of both labels and both were headquartered at the Bronze Peacock club at 2809 Erastus Street in Houston.

wub.gif

dan

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

i would love to see a definitive list of New Orleans soul & rnb labels. Booker comes to mind off the top of my head.

There are a few smaller soul nights in Texas worth checking out Andrew. ill look around and see what i can dig up.

kev

Social source share

Guest musicden786

hope this is in the correct section if not, sorry please move.

Ok being a long time soul boy, ok maybe not that long as i only got into the scene in the early 80's back in cambridge. I now reside in Texas where i am trying to get a soul night going, as i have always been more into the toons than the history i never realised how much came from this area. The local people are unaware of it and as such the artists and labels have become forgotton.

If anyone would be kind enough to pass on some knowlege of labels, artists and studios from around this area that produced "northern Soul" i would be very grateful. At the time if an artist was black and did not play the blues or zydeco he was forgotten. In my opinion it is about time these guys got the local recognition that they deserved.

I bow to your superior knowlege on the scene and hope to learn and in turn pass it on.

If you are looking for help to put a night on in Texas, contact Bob Davis at www.soul-patrol,com He will point you in the right direction and save you a lot of leg work.

They have a feature running at the moment which might be interesting www.soul-patrol.com/soul/south.htm

Best regards Denis.

many thanks

andrew

Social source share

Thanks for all your help guys, i knew i had come to the correct place to ask.

To my mind it is a sad reflection on the south that for such a strong force back in the day it takes a white english fellow to try to revive this vibe down here. Beaumont was one of the main stepping off points in the 60's and 70's for black musicians (ike and tina playing in a 100 cap club).

The reason behind me asking is not for a book or anything like that just a chance to remember these guys who contributed so much to the musical world who are all but forgotten except in groups like this. Going back to my Charles Sheffield contact, he claims that mr Sheffield was unaware of just how much his music was played in the UK.

Anyway i will look into what you all suggested and let you know if anything comes of it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!