What Happened Next

Guest Dan

I've managed to get hold of a book called 'What Happened Next: Northern Soul's Greatest Records, And How The Stories End'

For instance, in Dearly Beloved, Jack Montgomery famously sings: 'Dear beloved, I'm writing this letter...just to let you know, thing's ain't gettin' no better.'

What happened next, apparently, was that his girlfriend, Rita, wrote back saying: 'I've had enough of your whingeing you miserable bastard. The glass is always half-empty with you, isn't it? Oooh, 'things ain't gettin no better'? Where's my bleeding rope? You are the MOST depressing man I've ever met. You're right, things ain't gettin no better - FOR YOU! I've just started shagging your mate Tyrone, so there.'

A fascinating read.

-

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Aparently the yet to be found original version of - you shook me up, was an ode by Ella Fitzgerald to her vibrator. Apparently Victor Meldrew can be heard in the background saying 'I don't believe it'

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Apparently Howard Guyton was an accomplished mountaineer. "I Watched You Slowly Slip Away" was reference to a tragic mountaineering accident where the lead climber fell and despite Howard hanging on to the rope for some 8 and a half hours in arctic conditions, his frost bitten fingers eventually gave way and his fellow climber slipped away in all senses of the word(s). Tragic.

Rich

Social source share

Apparently Howard Guyton was an accomplished mountaineer. "I Watched You Slowly Slip Away" was reference to a tragic mountaineering accident where the lead climber fell and despite Howard hanging on to the rope for some 8 and a half hours in arctic conditions, his frost bitten fingers eventually gave way and his fellow climber slipped away in all senses of the word(s). Tragic.

Rich

:shades:wub.gifhuh.gif

There's a good bit about Ray Pollard, too. Shortly after releasing The Drifter, he was arrested and sentenced to 90 days in the county jail for vagrancy. Apparently, people had seem him going from place to place and assumed he was up to no good.

And after The Impressions released Gypsy Woman, they found 30 caravans parked on their lawns, with a load of untaxed 4x4s parked up nearby, with old fridges and sofas dumped everywhere and some bird with eyes like a cat in the dark trying to flog them pegs and heather. They refused, she cursed them and we all know what happened after that.

Social source share

There's a good bit about Ray Pollard, too. Shortly after releasing The Drifter, he was arrested and sentenced to 90 days in the county jail for vagrancy. Apparently, people had seem him going from place to place and assumed he was up to no good.

I actually heard that Ray Pollard was successfully sued by Ben E King and Johnny Moore for impersonating a member of a popular male vocal group.

Paul

Social source share

I actually heard that Ray Pollard was successfully sued by Ben E King and Johnny Moore for impersonating a member of a popular male vocal group.

Paul

After Bobby Freeman sang 'one day I'm a big man, the next day oh so small' (I'll never fall in love again), Pele sent him a leaflet on erectile problems.

Social source share

Ann Peebles - I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down. Due to a breach of planning laws said playhouse was actually removed by the council's contractors. An appeal has been launched.

Guitar Ray - You're gonna wreck my like. Rays predictions were correct, she did.

Walter Jackson - Where Have All The Flowers Gone? Nobodys too sure, but global warming is suspected.

Willie Tee - Walking Up A 1 Way Street. Willie was knocked over by a cyclist & is recouperating. He has vowed to be more careful in the future.

Col.

Social source share

Ann Peebles - I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down. Due to a breach of planning laws said playhouse was actually removed by the council's contractors. An appeal has been launched.

Guitar Ray - You're gonna wreck my like. Rays predictions were correct, she did.

Walter Jackson - Where Have All The Flowers Gone? Nobodys too sure, but global warming is suspected.

Willie Tee - Walking Up A 1 Way Street. Willie was knocked over by a cyclist & is recouperating. He has vowed to be more careful in the future.

Col.

:thumbsup: very good col

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!