Guest the soulster

• Replies 26
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

soap and water usually works,after that if still a noise, spray with pledge or Mr muscle then play record with foam on, then dry off, then wash with soap and water again to remove any lasting wax.if after 2 goes it still has a noise then thats as good as it will get.better on vinyl than styrene records !!careful not to put foam on label as sometimes the colour comes off ! been on here before a machine for cleaning from japan but its £600 or summat..........this works as well . other than that dont buy shit condition records yes.gif

Social source share

Guest the soulster

im unemployed,with a wife who could outshop Coleen Rooney and 2 kids and a vinyl habit! sometimes only way to get record i've wanted for years is to buy it as it is !!!

Edited by the soulster
Social source share

washing up liquid and water works pretty well, as headsy says. don't be afraid to get it really wet and frothy though obviously if it's a paper label be careful. dry afterwards with bog roll. i recently got a demo of george kirby - when it arrived it looked absolutely shocking and played worse. i was well pissed off. did the above, it came up not far off mint!

Social source share

soap and water usually works,after that if still a noise, spray with pledge or Mr muscle then play record with foam on, ...
having done itmyself, I agree with the former-another subatnce to try is Nail Varnish Remover (not too much!!) as that may get some of the more stubborn dirt out-have you got a record-cleaning brush? re the expensive Record Cleaner, there was a site called teresaudio.com (?), a few years ago, which had instructions for making your own record cleaner, using old Vacuum Cleaner parts, and an old turntable....good luck, anyway cool.gif
Social source share

I have just recently gone and bought a record cleaning machine and i have to say ... that although they seem expensive .... compared to the price of your collection ... they cost pennies!!

Amazed is not a big enough word to describe the difference before and after ..... can do nothing about scratches though i'm afraid .... only dirt!

Social source share

I have just recently gone and bought a record cleaning machine and i have to say ... that although they seem expensive .... compared to the price of your collection ... they cost pennies!!

Amazed is not a big enough word to describe the difference before and after ..... can do nothing about scratches though i'm afraid .... only dirt!

Right! Thats everyone round to Joan's place then...Get the kettle on girl! yes.gif

Edited by Jim.
Social source share

having done itmyself, I agree with the former-another subatnce to try is Nail Varnish Remover (not too much!!) as that may get some of the more stubborn dirt out-have you got a record-cleaning brush? re the expensive Record Cleaner, there was a site called teresaudio.com (?), a few years ago, which had instructions for making your own record cleaner, using old Vacuum Cleaner parts, and an old turntable....good luck, anyway cool.gif

Be VERY careful using nail polish remover as they're not all created equal - different brands have different chemical compositions. The ones that contain reasonable quantities of acetone will eat styrene. Ask me how I know! Probably best avoided as a cleaning medium.

Social source share

NAIL VARNISH REMOVER?? :yes::thumbsup::yes: .Brings to mind Roger Rabbit,Judge Doom,The "Dip"?..please...no...

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

I have used Isopropanol for years more effective and less messy than soap and water. You can buy it from a pharmacy. Depending on your appearance they will probably ask what you want it for, as it is an alcohol, I suggest "too drink" would be the wrong answer. It works a treat

Social source share

hi has anyone any tips for cleaning 45's that have seen better days so they sound better?

Always be careful of the label, Antibacterial all purpose wipes, soap & water.

Toothpaste, in extreme circumstances. Don,t forget it's a mild abrasive but be careful.

Use all options at your own risk, I have found the above method to work with the records, found at car boot without sleeve etc. It can restore and obtain quite a good result with playability.

At the end of the day, only so much can be done i'm afraid

Rinse well, find a nice clean towel. An unused small paint pad also useful if used carfully with record on an old turntable.

The main thing is to take care.

Rare items, any cleaning method is always tricky

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I have used Isopropanol for years more effective and less messy than soap and water. You can buy it from a pharmacy. Depending on your appearance they will probably ask what you want it for, as it is an alcohol, I suggest "too drink" would be the wrong answer. It works a treat

Isopropyl AlcohoI -I used to buy it from the chemist-£6 for a big bottle.I told them it`s for cleaning the heads on cassette tape decks. Used it on vinyl records.Safe-ish on most styrene.NOT to be used on shellac, AND especially not acetate (as I learned to my cost...) :thumbsup:

At the moment I`m using this stuff...AM Record Cleaner or you could....

P*SS ON IT (I kid you not-think about it..) both sides. Rinse with one drop of carwash detergent in a gallon of water.

Social source share

Surgical spirit from a chemists is as good as owt else & only costs a few pence. Also good for getting marker pen off labels if your'e careful.

Like Stuart say's though, don't go near an acetate with it. Only a downright idiot would do that. :thumbsup::yes:

Ay up Mart! Are you ready for them photo`s. I`ll send em to your blueyonder address.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Depending on your appearance they will probably ask what you want it for, as it is an alcohol, I suggest "too drink" would be the wrong answer. It works a treat

Yes, and it doesn't taste so bad diluted with coke.

Camera shops also sell some other good cleaning fluids, and you'll find lots of recipes for making your own on the Library of Congress archives preservation site. Record cleaning machine for me, best way.

Social source share

soap and water usually works,after that if still a noise, spray with pledge or Mr muscle then play record with foam on, then dry off, then wash with soap and water again to remove any lasting wax.if after 2 goes it still has a noise then thats as good as it will get.better on vinyl than styrene records !!careful not to put foam on label as sometimes the colour comes off ! been on here before a machine for cleaning from japan but its £600 or summat..........this works as well . other than that dont buy shit condition records ph34r.gif

I do not reccomend mr muscle, I once cleaned a nice 45 with soap and water and left it on a towel to dry, my daughter later made a drink, spilt some, sprayed some of the above mentioned stuff some of which landed on my rca demo. Result white label white brown spots, and vinyl with little burn marks unplayable :angry:

Social source share

Yes, and it doesn't taste so bad diluted with coke.

Camera shops also sell some other good cleaning fluids, and you'll find lots of recipes for making your own on the Library of Congress archives preservation site. Record cleaning machine for me, best way.

And remember...

"GRIME DOES NOT PLAY"* ph34r.gif

*according to GARAGE A RECORDS.COM

Social source share

If the scratches cause clicks get some snooker board felt from a local supplier and some wd40 from a garage. Gently rub the scratch with the cloth and wd40 and then clean with furniture polish and play a few times until the dirt is removed from the grooves. Finish off with proper vinyl cleaner and HEY PRESTO. You can use WD40 on either plastic or Styrene to good results.

Works everytime

Dunc ( a mind of useless information)

Social source share

Anyway,you`d need to get your records extra sunday best to play em on a pair of these

".....Vinyl isn't dead, it's alive and kicking through the most passionate audiophiles who know the little silver disc ain't got nothing on Ol' Waxy...." Must be talkin` about us, ladies and gentlemen....

Never a truer word spoken...........awesome..you can keep yer shavin` mirrors.. but good for storing computer data on... :yes::P

Social source share

".....Vinyl isn't dead, it's alive and kicking through the most passionate audiophiles who know the little silver disc ain't got nothing on Ol' Waxy...." Must be talkin` about us, ladies and gentlemen....

Never a truer word spoken...........awesome..you can keep yer shavin` mirrors.. but good for storing computer data on... :lol:shades.gif

"40 kilo platter" :lol:

Social source share

hi has anyone any tips for cleaning 45's that have seen better days so they sound better?

Don't bother cleaning them just buy a Laser turntable !! This is no joke, i have seen them on the web & there is a supplier in the Bromsgrove area in the West Midlands. They will play vinyl records in any condition perfectly, the only drawback is the fact that they cost around 8 or £9000 at the moment, but remember video recorders were over £2000 when they first appeared in the UK in the 70's

For now though i find the best home brew is Disttiled water with a tiny amount of UPVC cleaner mixed in a spray bottle, works a treat.

As a temporary measure, say if you needed to play a 45 which had some bad scratches at a gig, the old black wax crayon trick works to some extent, but it dosen't do a lot for the stylus.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!