Ns-nighters In Montreal?

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

paul, there is a guy on here from the UK who has been living in canada for many years.

his name is 'newer04' i think. do a search in the members list and get in touch with him. he does check in regular i think.

good luck

Shane

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

You might try Martin Koppel's shop in Toronto, Kop's Collectables, to see if there is anything on. Maybe they publicise anything local? Not sure how far it is from Montreal however... I know it's on the same side of the country, but canada is huge.

Having said that i met a collector in Hamilton and he said there were no events around there and he'd lived there for twenty years :lol: Ironically he was on the commitee of a social club with a huge function room and really nice brand new dancefloor.

Hope something comes up huh.gif

Matt

Social source share

Dear Paul,

funny, I will move to Montreal in a few weeks, too. Unfortunately I have not a job yet whistling.gif

I have done a bit of research myself and just found the following:

Clubs and events

PUB BALAFR° (Thursdays)

Every Thursday night at Pub Balafr (on Ontario St. just west of St-Denis) the DJ plays UK indie, Madchester and Britpop.

MOD NIGHT (first Saturday of every month)

DJ plays soul, Britpop and 60s tunes. Venue: Le Swimming (on St-Denis).

SKA NIGHT (Saturdays)

On Saturdays at Jupiter Room (St-Laurent St.) the DJ plays ska.

Shopping

BEATNICK, PRIMITIVE, LE PICK-UP

All these record shops can be found on Boul. St-Denis.

CHEAP THRILLS

One of the best record shops in Montreal. Located on Metcalfe

VINTAGE CLOTHING

Take a walk south along Saint Denis starting at Mont Royal and you will be able to find some great gear as there's quite a few shops there. Take the subway to Mont Royal and start walkin'

Hope this helps

Best regards

YouYou

Social source share

OK, heres the deal on the Soul scene in Canada - there isnt one. Secondly, Montreal is about a 6 hour drive from Toronto. Obviously I say sorry to anybody who runs any sort of Soul night in the GTA and if you do please let me know.

Kev Cox used to run The Soul Clan with Alun Bell, Mick? and Les?, I just caught the end of that and they seemed like good beery nights with a bit of Mod stuff thrown in.

Then Kev and Mick tried to get something going with the Mods in Toronto called The Empire Soul Club but unfortunately that didnt take off either.

I have been in communication with one of the Mods, Kyke Gedge and he had a Soul night planned for December but they got double booked - not having much luck am I? Plus 'er indoors keeps bending my ear about having a dance!!

Oh well, keep looking. By the way Matt, what was the name of the guy in Hamilton, I live about 5 mins outside the city.

Social source share

OK, heres the deal on the Soul scene in Canada - there isnt one.

Oh shit, I already see myself dancing in front of the living room's mirror :yes:

I am a bit amazed though as Detroit and Chicago is not tooooo far away.

Best regards

YouYou

Edited by YouYou
Social source share

Thanks for the link Kevin J.

I will contact them and see if I can make the next one. looks like I missed one last week.

Toronto isnt dead, I didnt want to paint a negative picture but I am surprised with all the Ex-Pats here that there isnt a more active soul scene.

Social source share

Welcome to the Frozen North hope you got a sense of humour!

Not much Happening at present hoping to get some soul nites happening in the spring so around July unsure.gif , in Toronto which is about 4 hour drive. Im up in Montreal every now and again for work drop me a line when are you coming over?

Couple shops worth checking out, Montreal was a great hub for Black artists in 60's I had some success up there about 5 years back a DJ dumped his collection at a store on rue St Dennis primitive something or other

3 copies van dykes on mala stock!! about 100 other bits and pieces mainly motown some nice canadian stuff though.

check out new web site ill post gigs up ther ewhen we get started again

best

Kevin

WWW.SOULSPINNER.COM

post-4486-1139202203_thumb.jpg

Social source share

OK, heres the deal on the Soul scene in Canada - there isnt one. Secondly, Montreal is about a 6 hour drive from Toronto. Obviously I say sorry to anybody who runs any sort of Soul night in the GTA and if you do please let me know.

Kev Cox used to run The Soul Clan with Alun Bell, Mick? and Les?, I just caught the end of that and they seemed like good beery nights with a bit of Mod stuff thrown in.

Then Kev and Mick tried to get something going with the Mods in Toronto called The Empire Soul Club but unfortunately that didnt take off either.

I have been in communication with one of the Mods, Kyke Gedge and he had a Soul night planned for December but they got double booked - not having much luck am I? Plus 'er indoors keeps bending my ear about having a dance!!

Oh well, keep looking. By the way Matt, what was the name of the guy in Hamilton, I live about 5 mins outside the city.

Alun Bell is now living between Tampa and Orlando and is a member of the Hitsville Crew now. If you're up for a weekend of raresoul. Keep checking out the website. Details will be published shortly about the next Hitsville weekender in Orlando.

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

I'd be up for getting something started in Toronto i know a couple affectionado's pining for a good night....also, i have a soundsystem (which is used at the Turning Point parties in town) and love to blast my 45's on it. Don't get a chance to play my soul records out much (other than at reggae nights which are rather plentiful here).

Kevin L. in Toronto.

Social source share

I'd be up for getting something started in Toronto i know a couple affectionado's pining for a good night....also, i have a soundsystem (which is used at the Turning Point parties in town) and love to blast my 45's on it. Don't get a chance to play my soul records out much (other than at reggae nights which are rather plentiful here).

Kevin L. in Toronto.

Mates, do not start anything in Toronto. Come over to Montreal ohmy.gif

Best regards

YouYou

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!