His Way With The Girls - Sparkly Dresses Time

I've always claimed to favour male records with a real soft spot for the vocal groups, Falcons, Volumes, Hesitations, Artistics,Dells etc. etc. but when looking through the collection recently i noticed i have rather a lot of female/girl group records and started to play a seesion back to back and what a buzz, great fun. Might make for an interesting thread, so get looking through those boxes.

Madeline Wilson - Dial "L" For Lonley - Samar - Fantastic record out of Rochester NY, has it all, mood, voice simply perfection.

The Darlings - Two Time Loser - Kay-Ko also Mercury - Awesome early production with that something just a little bit special.

The Valons - "You're Something Special - Mark III - As above a very early track out of Newark, New Jersey, possibly an old Stafford spin.

The Star Treks - Gonna Need Magic - Veep - Surperb Philly record that never really went as big as it should, needs playing more at the oldies venues.

The Mamselles - Open Up Your Heart (Let Love Out) ABC - Another record yet to have it's day at the venues, very hard ABC number to locate but well worth the hunt.

The Bobbettes - Having Fun - RCA - Crunching uptempo girl group proper Northern Soul from the 'Happy Go Lucky Me' girls, first class.

The Vashonettes - A Mighty Good Lover - Checker - Awesome Chicago again this one has it all. Quite hard to find being one of the lesser known Checker numbers.

Suger And The Spices - Have Faith In Me - Swan - Records as good as this take me to another place, i know this one is on many want's list and rightly so, hard to find now due to huge demand but well worth a couple of hundred quid of anyone's money....lol

The Atlantics - What So Good About Goodbye - Marquee - Written and also recorded by Smokey Robinson this is division one girls at their awesome very best, hard to find and a quality record.

The Sweet Three - That's The Way It Is (When A Girl's In Love) - Decca - A beautiful record that has had some turntable action but not enough IMO, written by Leon Huff producing the perfect song from the golden era of the mid 60's.

A perfect ten and most enjoyable also inspiration for a future Solar show..lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 101
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've always claimed to favour male records with a real soft spot for the vocal groups, Falcons, Volumes, Hesitations, Artistics,Dells etc. etc. but when looking through the collection recently i noticed i have rather a lot of female/girl group records and started to play a seesion back to back and what a buzz, great fun. Might make for an interesting thread, so get looking through those boxes.

Madeline Wilson - Dial "L" For Lonley - Samar - Fantastic record out of Rochester NY, has it all, mood, voice simply perfection.

The Darlings - Two Time Loser - Kay-Ko also Mercury - Awesome early production with that something just a little bit special.

The Valons - "You're Something Special - Mark III - As above a very early track out of Newark, New Jersey, possibly an old Stafford spin.

The Star Treks - Gonna Need Magic - Veep - Surperb Philly record that never really went as big as it should, needs playing more at the oldies venues.

The Mamselles - Open Up Your Heart (Let Love Out) ABC - Another record yet to have it's day at the venues, very hard ABC number to locate but well worth the hunt.

The Bobbettes - Having Fun - RCA - Crunching uptempo girl group proper Northern Soul from the 'Happy Go Lucky Me' girls, first class.

The Vashonettes - A Mighty Good Lover - Checker - Awesome Chicago again this one has it all. Quite hard to find being one of the lesser known Checker numbers.

Suger And The Spices - Have Faith In Me - Swan - Records as good as this take me to another place, i know this one is on many want's list and rightly so, hard to find now due to huge demand but well worth a couple of hundred quid of anyone's money....lol

The Atlantics - What So Good About Goodbye - Marquee - Written and also recorded by Smokey Robinson this is division one girls at their awesome very best, hard to find and a quality record.

The Sweet Three - That's The Way It Is (When A Girl's In Love) - Decca - A beautiful record that has had some turntable action but not enough IMO, written by Leon Huff producing the perfect song from the golden era of the mid 60's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

the tears- good luck my love :lol:

HB shades.gif

Social source share

The Fabulettes - Try The Worrying Way - SS7 Stupid words and a quirky tune.

The Dushons - You Better Think It Over - Golden Gate A great Motown sound-a-like

The Sparkels - Try Love - Old Town Terrible vocals and an inept Organist - Perfection!

Margo & The Marvettes - When Love Slips Away - PYE Irish? Fantastic version of the Dee Dee Warwick tune.

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Two more to be going on with..........

The Blossoms - That's When The Tears Start - Reprise - Written by the legend that is Van McCoy, Darleen Love on lead vocal......extra sparkly dresses here folks, classic thumping Northern Soul.

The Shirelles - Wait Till I Give The Signal - Scepter - Great record from a first class group, never really been played out that much and should be, if you have a spare £25.00 and you see this listed then pay the man, well worth a spin.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

give this a play out now and again. playing the LaVells - Share Him ot at the moment - brilliant record. Mamselles just doesnt do it for me Mark

Each to his or her own there Dave, Mamselles is one of those difficult records to switch on to, possibly will never be a big record but for me has that something a little special.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I Couldn't Care less - Carol Fredricks

Not that i am a cynic or anthing - honest :ohmy: Just love the track and think it is NS's own play on Gloria Gaynor but millions of miles better

QoFxx

Edited by chrissieo
Social source share

Rach, it doesn't matter how many times it gets played .. it's brilliant ... that means we can both dance to it whilst the other is Djing :ohmy:

:ohmy:

Social source share

I like too many girly tunes to list :ohmy:

Couple I dug out of the boxes again recently -

Cindy Malone - Is It Over Baby

Patti Labelle - All Or Nothing/ You Forgot How To Love

Social source share

Great topic Mark :ohmy:

I love girl group & female soul, heres a few of my current faves:

Secrets Here I am Omen

Joan Procter Just my Pride Scenic

Little Gigi I Volunteer Decca

Relatives Im just looking for love Almont

Mar Js Got to find a way out Magic Touch

Janeen Henry Love is what you make it Blue Rock

Tina Roberts One way or the other Security

Tiaras Loves made a Connection Seton

Sylvia Shemwell He'll come back Philips

Suzi Wallis Tell Him Rca

Lilly Fields I've been discovered Spectrum

Barbara Long We call it love Jetset

Claudette & Miracles Mr Misery Motown acetate

Gerri Diamond Only You Counterpoint

Martha Starr Im Lonely Thelma

Linda Jones You cant take it French Warner Bros

Oma Heard Mr Lonely heart VIP

I could have listed 100s!

cheersPaul

Edited by soul45s
Social source share

Each to his or her own there Dave, Mamselles is one of those difficult records to switch on to, possibly will never be a big record but for me has that something a little special.

Mark Bicknell.

Love the Mamselles... maybe not enough of them about to go 'big'? Only heard it out a couple of times :ohmy:

Social source share

Love the Mamselles... maybe not enough of them about to go 'big'? Only heard it out a couple of times :ohmy:

Seems to be a hard ABC number to find Rachel, had mine years but never really played it much, 'Back Door Kenny' will remember this one infact he had it way way back in the very early 80's, infact he played it to me first.........cheers Kenny :ohmy:

Mark Bicknell

Social source share

I love the girlie sounds and if you come to the next 44 Club in Feb you will get a free 30 track classic girlie sounds CD on the door which I have recorded straight from my own 45s at massive expense. Nothing too rare or expensive to get hold I dont think but full versions and superb listening.

1.Call on me - Barbara Mercer - Sidra.

2. Out on the streets again - Candy & The Kisses - Scepter.

3. Is it over baby - Cindy Malone - Capitol.

4. I just dont know what to do with myself - Cissie Houston - Pye Int.

5. I keep keeping on - The Contessas - George Clements.

6. House of gold - Dee Dee Warwick - Mercury.

7. The reason why - The Dolls - Loma.

8. Love - Gladys - O Gee.

9. Come go with me - Gloria Jones - Uptown.

10. The Jelly Beans - You dont mean me no good- Eskee.

11. You must be doing something right - Joan Moody - Sylvia.

12. I'm coming apart at the seams - The Kittens Three - Newark.

13. What can I do - Little Anne - Kent.

14. You cant dress up a broken heart - The Lovables - Toot.

15. Hey stoney face - Mary Love - Modern.

16. I'm learning - Mary Wells - 20th Century.

17. The secret of living - Maxine Brown - Wand.

18. Set my heart at ease - Mikki Farrow - Karate.

19. The Mirettes - He's allright with me - Mirwood.

20. Dont look over your shoulder - Nancy Wilson - Capitol.

21. Come back baby - Nella Dodds - Wand.

22. Never love nobody - Orthea Barnes - Coral.

23. Stop and listen - Patti Drew - Capitol.

24. Got to have your love - The Sapphires.

25. Goose pimples - Shirley J Scott - Stephanye.

26. Happiest girl in the world - The Supebs - Catamount.

27. Daddy O - Theresa Linsey - Golden World.

28. Back in my arms again - Val Palmer - Twin Hits.

29. Together till the end of time - Brenda Holloway - Tamla.

30. Tell me what to do - Connie Questrel _Decca.

Worth the price of admission alone. These will be available on the door every month until July at the earliest.

Social source share

I love the girlie sounds and if you come to the next 44 Club in Feb you will get a free 30 track classic girlie sounds CD on the door which I have recorded straight from my own 45s at massive expense. Nothing too rare or expensive to get hold I dont think but full versions and superb listening.

1.Call on me - Barbara Mercer - Sidra.

2. Out on the streets again - Candy & The Kisses - Scepter.

3. Is it over baby - Cindy Malone - Capitol.

4. I just dont know what to do with myself - Cissie Houston - Pye Int.

5. I keep keeping on - The Contessas - George Clements.

6. House of gold - Dee Dee Warwick - Mercury.

7. The reason why - The Dolls - Loma.

8. Love - Gladys - O Gee.

9. Come go with me - Gloria Jones - Uptown.

10. The Jelly Beans - You dont mean me no good- Eskee.

11. You must be doing something right - Joan Moody - Sylvia.

12. I'm coming apart at the seams - The Kittens Three - Newark.

13. What can I do - Little Anne - Kent.

14. You cant dress up a broken heart - The Lovables - Toot.

15. Hey stoney face - Mary Love - Modern.

16. I'm learning - Mary Wells - 20th Century.

17. The secret of living - Maxine Brown - Wand.

18. Set my heart at ease - Mikki Farrow - Karate.

19. The Mirettes - He's allright with me - Mirwood.

20. Dont look over your shoulder - Nancy Wilson - Capitol.

21. Come back baby - Nella Dodds - Wand.

22. Never love nobody - Orthea Barnes - Coral.

23. Stop and listen - Patti Drew - Capitol.

24. Got to have your love - The Sapphires.

25. Goose pimples - Shirley J Scott - Stephanye.

26. Happiest girl in the world - The Supebs - Catamount.

27. Daddy O - Theresa Linsey - Golden World.

28. Back in my arms again - Val Palmer - Twin Hits.

29. Together till the end of time - Brenda Holloway - Tamla.

30. Tell me what to do - Connie Questrel _Decca.

Worth the price of admission alone. These will be available on the door every month until July at the earliest.

Some nice selections there Craig....more from me throughout the day....it's my day off so nothing else to do...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Some nice selections there Craig....more from me throughout the day....it's my day off so nothing else to do...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Some one else got a day off :yes: car in garage more expence :yes:

Diane Cunningham-Certain Kind Of Lover :yes:

HB :yes:

Social source share

Had a few discussions with Joan recently about this one - reactivated a while back by Butch but needs little introduction - The Belles on Mirwood (they don't come much better Mark) as for the sparkly frocks ???

It's always on Joans playlist and sounds as good as ever today . I'ts just f****n brilliant !

Hey what about Devotions on Tri-Sound (proper female Detroit or what )

Kev J

Edited by ZTSC
Social source share

Do these count ?

Yvonne Vernee , Priscilla Paige , Sandra Richardson , Lorraine Chandler , Martha Star , Monique :yes:

Sorry, Martha Star already mentioned as were Little Ann :yes: , Barbera Mercer :yes: and Mikki Farrow :yes:

All class Detroit acts

Edited by ZTSC
Social source share

More Sparkle with another almost perfect ten...lol

Rose St. John And The Wonderettes - I Know The Meaning B/W Fool Don't Laugh - Veep - Two supeb sides.

Sandra Phillips - You Succeeded - Broadway - A Killer track from this lady leaves 'World Without Sunshine' way behind IMO.

Bee Gee Stans Of Detroit - Front Page Love - Tal Vert - Awesome record that needs playing out and about again.

Sharon McMahan - Love Is Wonderful - Karen - Ollie McLaughlin was a genius so is Miss McMahan on this slightly easier Karen 45 to find than the other belter from her which everyone wants and Miss Wallace and Miss Livesey already own...lol

Irma And The Facinators - Lost Love - Scepter - Ok so semi girlie here...lol what a tune though.

Irene And The Scotts - I'm Stuck On My Baby - Smash - Tunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne!

Tina Britt - You're Absoltley Right b/w "Look" - Eastern - I bet The Appolas were gutted when they heard this version awesome record and a superb flip too.

The Belles - Don't Pretend - Mirwood - Already mentioned above simply stunning record.

Marva Josie - Don't - United Artists - 100 Club ender so so good, makes me cry.

Darlene Love - Too Late To Say You're Sorry - Reprise - Superb record from one time Blossom and Crystal, hauting into, superb vocal performance.

I'll be back...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Quite like.............

The Contessass.....I keep on keepin' on.......George Clements

Barbara Brown....So in love.........Carnival

Ann Byers......Here I am............Academy

The Lazy Susans......I give in............Kapp

Jeanie Fortune......Once more with feeling..........Rca Victor

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Love the flip Baby I Need You as well :yes:

Other girlie greats

Patti Austin's Coral stuff

Clydie King's Imperial stuff

Barbara Banks - River Of Tears

Minzi Berry - Don't You Dare To Cry

Halos - Just Keep On Loving Me

:yes::yes:

Social source share

More Sparkle with another almost perfect ten...lol

Rose St. John And The Wonderettes - I Know The Meaning B/W Fool Don't Laugh - Veep - Two supeb sides.

Sandra Phillips - You Succeeded - Broadway - A Killer track from this lady leaves 'World Without Sunshine' way behind IMO.

Bee Gee Stans Of Detroit - Front Page Love - Tal Vert - Awesome record that needs playing out and about again.

Sharon McMahan - Love Is Wonderful - Karen - Ollie McLaughlin was a genius so is Miss McMahan on this slightly easier Karen 45 to find than the other belter from her which everyone wants and Miss Wallace and Miss Livesey already own...lol

Irma And The Facinators - Lost Love - Scepter - Ok so semi girlie here...lol what a tune though.

Irene And The Scotts - I'm Stuck On My Baby - Smash - Tunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne!

Tina Britt - You're Absoltley Right b/w "Look" - Eastern - I bet The Appolas were gutted when they heard this version awesome record and a superb flip too.

The Belles - Don't Pretend - Mirwood - Already mentioned above simply stunning record.

Marva Josie - Don't - United Artists - 100 Club ender so so good, makes me cry.

Darlene Love - Too Late To Say You're Sorry - Reprise - Superb record from one time Blossom and Crystal, hauting into, superb vocal performance.

I'll be back...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Just been playing Sandra Phillips and Marva Josie (How good?)

Irene &The Scotts (Theodore /Coffey / Monette/ Cambell - it's got the lot !!)

Sharon McMahan TOP DRAW !!

Mark i'm trying to do some work here you know and all this Motor City talk has sent me off on a tangent !

Kev J

Social source share

Always talked about by Dave Godin - Doris Willingham "You can't do that" Jay Boy

(listen to the strings at the end )

Peggy Gaines " Sweet Way of living" - all that soul for a tenner !

Social source share

Cleethorpes WG niters went through a phase in about 1976 where loads of these type of tunes ruled the roost.

Pick me up and put me in your pocket(JH). If he were mine, Your not my kind(PD). Little darling, Stronger than her love(F). Pain in my heart(P) etc etc.

My fave was always Donna King - Take me home.

Ed

Social source share

Mr Bicknell

The vashionettes is a great record. i've played this out a few times and is - like you say - tough to pick up.

Joyce Harris - baby Baby Baby on FUN is another favourite of mine.

Hammy

Social source share

Just been playing Sandra Phillips and Marva Josie (How good?)

Irene &The Scotts (Theodore /Coffey / Monette/ Cambell - it's got the lot !!)

Sharon McMahan TOP DRAW !!

Mark i'm trying to do some work here you know and all this Motor City talk has sent me off on a tangent !

Kev J

Sorry Kev...lol oh and i just been upstairs playing a few more girlie tunes.......i'll save the next ten until later so you can do a little work.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

The Star Treks I used to spin it a lot in the 80's. Rob Marriott offered me all sorts of records to part with it as hardly ever saw it back then. Great record. Old Yate spin I believe.

The Atlantics is awesome and as an added bonus it has a great dancer on the flip, Baby I Need You whistling.gif

Social source share

Bootleggers Featuring Cathy Carlson - Don't Count On Tomorrow - Discovery. How good is this, absolutely brilliant slab of soul whistling.gif

Marva Josie - Later For You Baby/You Lied - Time, again top notch two sider.

Bobbie Smith - You Know I'll Be Around - Bell. So rare but so good.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

The Star Treks I used to spin it a lot in the 80's. Rob Marriott offered me all sorts of records to part with it as hardly ever saw it back then. Great record. Old Yate spin I believe.

The Atlantics is awesome and as an added bonus it has a great dancer on the flip, Baby I Need You whistling.gif

Good luck with the 'Lifeline' weekender Chalky i hope it's a banging event, talk soon regarding doing another show together.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Some great records mentioned by everybody so far. Must give special mention to the Patti Austin Coral sides: so many stunning songs, performances and productions. To cap it all she was so young when she recorded these 45s. What makes them great is the fact that while she sounds so technically accomplished they still sound like records ripped from the heart of a young person. That's an incredibly tough balancing act to pull off.

I must aslo mention a couple of group records here: "I Don't Want You" by The Lovations on Cap City, a stunning midpacer with a wonderfully wistful quality; and The Rayons "Do You Love Me" on Decca: maybe the finest instance of sixties girl group deep soul (admittedly this field would only warrant a slender chapter in the encyclopedia of soul genres). Is it true that this particular 45 is thought to be a one-off?

While not being a particularly huge fan of non-soul Girl Groups, I must ask at this point: who could fail to love The Ronettes "Be My Baby"?

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Lornettes His way with the girls

Tony

Nice one Tony, brilliant - one that Randy gave me many years ago because I didn't know it!!!

Played it at SITC a couple of times in 2005 to minimal interest, no taste some people :)whistling.gif

I agree Dave - I think this is a terrific track; in fact I bought my copy from Mr Bicknell himself a few years ago. It's a real pity there's little dancefloor reaction - cloth ears some people!! sleep.gif

Brian

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

I agree Dave - I think this is a terrific track; in fact I bought my copy from Mr Bicknell himself a few years ago. It's a real pity there's little dancefloor reaction - cloth ears some people!! sleep.gif

Brian

Brian i was racking my brains trying to think where that record went, via ebay was it not? rasonable price i seem to remember...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!