English promoter looks for Edinburgh venue

YES I WAS TOLD YESTERDAY, THAT SOMEONE IN SCOTLAND RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM A PROMOTER IN ENGLAND.

WHO HAS ALLNIGTERS AND WEEKENDERS ALL OVER ENGLAND, AND NOW IS LOOKING FOR A VENUE UP HERE IN THE EDINBURGH AREA!

I THINK IT WOULD BE A BAD THING FOR ALL SCOTTISH CLUBS, THE SAID PROMOTER IS VERY WELL KNOW AND WELL I AINT GONNA NAME HIM, BUT NOT TO HARD TO WORK OUT.

ANYWAY IF YOU HAVE ANY VIEWS ON THE MATTER SAY WHAT YOU THINK, BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK IT HAS MESSED UP THE NORTHERN SOUL EVENTS SOUTH OF THE BORDER WITH LOTS OFF NIGHTS BEING PUT ON IN THE SAME AREA. AND HAS CAUSED A SPIT IN THE SCENE DOWN SOUTH.

OPEN TO YOU

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Keo, you might not run the biggest nighters but you use the biggest font!!

I know some of the fellow soul sourcers may be knocking on but I am sure they can read the smaller font!

Shane

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Out of interest why is it a bad thing? Surely not because he's English or is there a fear that it may affect locally run nights??

John

Social source share

You wannae leave off the IRN BRU Keo, it really doesn't do anything for your spellin'.

I could see the spit flyin' when you were shoutin' there fella!!!! LOL!

Social source share

along similer lines..

I know scooter clubs that have put do's on outside of there manor (so to speak) and they don't work as you can upset the local clubs and they don't turn up so numbers are down.. Maybe if a promoter was to contact local do's and have a couple of local dj's, things might help.

Social source share

Oh here we go again rumours rumours rumours....

We've been over this a 100 times on this forum - it's pointless having discussions when topics start with

THE SAID PROMOTER IS VERY WELL KNOW AND WELL I AINT GONNA NAME HIM, BUT NOT TO HARD TO WORK OUT
- sorry but NOT everyone can work it out...

I can say this though - if a new promoter on a local scene doesn't have the backing or support of the locals then he isnae gonna get very far now, is he.

So I really don't think it's worth worrying about... unless you think he/she can give local promoters a run for money ... if that's the case then it can't possibly be the ENGLISH promoter i'm thinking off wink.gif

Social source share

So I really don't think it's worth worrying about... unless you think he/she can give local promoters a run for money ... if that's the case then it can't possibly be the ENGLISH promoter i'm thinking off  wink.gif

It may well be Kolla - I think its part of a one-off night as part of a national roadshow, working alongside existing promoters. Its a promotion for a box set I think.

Social source share

It may well be Kolla - I think its part of a one-off night as part of a national roadshow, working alongside existing promoters. Its a promotion for a box set I think.

One cannot help feeling Ali-Bama is in the know on this one!

And if anyone is likely to know, considering who is 'rumoured' to be putting this on, then my money's on Ali.

What odds can we get down at William Hills???? LOL!

Social source share

I'll name him because I have seen the email!

If Kev Roberts wants to start putting on nights up here then it's a free country. Let the punters decide. I know I won't be going as he is, IMHO, not good enough to warrant my ear - I don't give a flying f**K what he did 30 years ago. It's like shelling out money to watch George Best dribble in and out of traffic cones instead of watching the Champions League !!! Thanks for the memories, but that's what they are!

I am happy with the small night I run and the small hardcore of punters we attract to the Taxi Club, the music policy we stick to and the feedback we receive. As far as I am concerned, I don't think the Scottish Scene will suffer if Kev Roberts comes on - it's divisive as it is and I don't think it can get worse !

If people want to dance round their handbags like it's 1976 again to CDs then let 'em. It's 2004 folks, you'll never be 16 again, the gear isn't as good as it used to be and you look ridiculous prancing about in your Spencers.... but, each to their own I spose ! I'd rather have 30 people in a venue committed to fresh upfront sounds than 300 returnees/tourists.

Hammy

Social source share

Guys PULEAZE!

Have spoken to Kev, who has no intention of running events anywhere apart from the one's he is already committed to. Hammy ya gotta lighten up dude.

First of all he may have single handedly revolutionised the Soul cd business but certainly does not play them at gigs. You are talking about a guy who has discovered many records(JD BRYANT, WILLIE HUTCH, 7 SOULS, DEAN COURTNEY, THE CASUALEERS ETCETC) plus has a pretty strong collection today.

Kev is compiling a cd box set titled The History of Northern Soul which encompasses a 6 disc set and booklet(out in 2005). In conjunction with all the majors BMG, UNIVERSAL, EMI, WARNER MUSIC, MOTOWN ETC, Kev is merely adding a few one night only events in a few areas he never appears . A sort of 'roadshow' scenario as the box set is a major item to promote.

As usual, he was approached by a local enthusiast who wants Kev in Edinburgh.

Personally he does not care less whether he appears in Edinburgh or Eastbourne. He is merely getting out among Northern Soul fans with a nice retail item. After all he is entitled considering he has a bunch of radio shows and been in the NS business 32 years.

THERE IS NO WAY HE IS MOVING INTO ANY TERRITORY HE'S NOT ALREADY IN(too busy)-Okeh!

Social source share

Blackwhite, I think she meant to say 'northern cd business' second guess meaning the big sellers in the mid 90's(Out on the floor, Wigan cd's , Torch etc etc)

I can understand a little annoyance at DJ's with business activity promoting their wares on sites like SS. But don't forget there are plenty of others making money too(Pontins, New Century) and a whole host of others who revel in 'letting guys like Kev Roberts' carry the can. I wonder how many of his 'proffessional' competitors are even VAT registered? Makes you wonder don't it?

Social source share

Can confirm this as being the case....

Had e-mails then fone call myself.... idea being to work with existing promoters up and down land to co-promote "one-offs" to coincide with CD release....

No date clashes, venue clashes, etc., just , as Ali says, "roadshow style".... working around existing established nites with other promoters....

Irrespective of others opinions on individuals I think this is a pretty decent approach IMO, instead of just "doing" them and upsetting "locals"....

Had this happen in past in Sheffield to us.... when peeps see a good night up and running with a consistantly high number of attendees and decide to run "specials", "extras", whatever they care to describe them as.... I call that "cashing in" (that's the soul content for you) on others hard work.... biggest slap in the face for me was actually turning up the once at "our" nite to fly "their" nite....

Social source share

First of all he may have single handedly revolutionised the Soul cd business but certainly does not play them at gigs.

Utter bollox.

I was at a do in Rotherham one night, a few years ago, when the venerable Mr Roberts turned up to DJ carrying a box of CDs....

Only thing was he didn't know that there weren't any Cd decks wired up.

Never mind, he just proceeded to play records out of another DJs box without even asking the DJs permission.... whats more they were a DJ who only did the warm up, and affectionately called his box of records "The Beercrate Bootlegs", cause thats what they were......

Not even sure if he thanked the lad afterwards as I'd already walked off in disgust.

Keep The Faith my arse.

WOOF!

Social source share

he just proceeded to play records out of another DJs box without even asking the DJs permission.... whats more they were a DJ who only did the warm up, and affectionately called his box of records "The Beercrate Bootlegs", cause thats what they were......

Getting away from politcs and every thing ... sorry but you can't do that, who ever you are.

Social source share

Its simple really you dont have to be mastermind to know that if you look at the venues round youre area see which ones are the most attended and least musicaly challenged playing same ole same ole etc having Dave Evison,Ginger Taylor etc,as guests then there the ones he will be gracing with his presence.Heres the rub, just dont go!.Let the people who want to attend go and get the freebees etc and enjoy the night.I used to get worked up about the monopolisation of the scene by this person but realise hes not alone,theres other people who are just as egotistical though obviously not as shrewed a business mind.

Social source share

Hammy - thank you for the name - that's all I wanted.

Adam - agree with you - different strokes for different folks - if people don't like "big" events that are put on by those making a commercial living out of Northern soul - you don't have to go. There are hundreds of events going on across the UK these days - we've never had so much choice. Vote with your dollar.

Social source share

complete and utter exploitation for money,always has been.

as Adam G says just dont go.....not much room left on the bandwagon anyway after all these years....better music at other dos,

The Wilton was STONKING GOOD on friday, anybody else agree ?

Great turnout for the Wilton and a good nigth with some class sets, especially from John Philips and Dean Anderson. Lifeline still way ahead of any other venue for the quality of the upfront sounds but Wilton must be second.

Social source share

Utter bollox.

I was at a do in Rotherham one night, a few years ago, when the venerable Mr Roberts turned up to DJ carrying a box of CDs....

Only thing was he didn't know that there weren't any Cd decks wired up.

Never mind, he just proceeded to play records out of another DJs box without even asking the DJs permission.... whats more they were a DJ who only did the warm up, and affectionately called his box of records "The Beercrate Bootlegs", cause thats what they were......

Not even sure if he thanked the lad afterwards as I'd already walked off in disgust.

Keep The Faith my arse.

WOOF!

No he didn't

Social source share

No he didn't

Didn't what?

Turn up with box of cds? If they werent cds he must have been expecting a large tea-party cos he was carrying a large number of shiny silver coasters

DJ from another DJs box? Yep, know the lad who owns them pretty well....

Play boots? Yep, as above

Ask for permisson? When I pointed out to the lad who's records they were he wasn't bothered that they were being played without him having the decency to ask permission

Post-humously ask permission and thank the lad whos records they were? Got me on that one, as I stated before, I'd walked off in disgust.... being young and impressionable at the time, when the 'top name DJ' turns up with no records it tends to influnece ones opinion.

Now, please qualify your statement as I'd love to hear the official line as I'm quite obviously either deranged, have it in for Mr Roberts, or a liar... ;-)

WOOF!

Social source share

Didn't what?

Turn up with box of cds? If they werent cds he must have been expecting a large tea-party cos he was carrying a large number of shiny silver coasters

DJ from another DJs box? Yep, know the lad who owns them pretty well....

Play boots? Yep, as above

Ask for permisson? When I pointed out to the lad who's records they were he wasn't bothered that they were being played without him having the decency to ask permission

Post-humously ask permission and thank the lad whos records they were? Got me on that one, as I stated before, I'd walked off in disgust.... being young and impressionable at the time, when the 'top name DJ' turns up with no records it tends to influnece ones opinion.

Now, please qualify your statement as I'd love to hear the official line as I'm quite obviously either deranged, have it in for Mr Roberts, or a liar... ;-)

WOOF!

Sorry!

Thank the Dj !

cos if you are on about the night at the Adam and Eve They were my records.

If not He's done it again

Social source share

In reply to some pretty astounding statements from Rotherham Soul, can I ask why an obviously successful guy(and thats the problem isnt it RS?) would want to turn up at someone's event playing cd's unless he was either doing someone a favour and didn't want to bring his records out.

I saw him recently with some pretty tasty 45's in the old DJ box. He's also incredibly expensive to book, hence he doesn't need to be at 3rd party gigs very often.

Seriously, check him out at any of his gigs HE DOESN'T PLAY CD's, even though he is tarnished with the little silver things due to the amount he's compiled over the years.

Before we wallop him any further, we are talking about someone who has BEEN THERE, DONE IT and STILL DOING IT more successfully than most.

Social source share

In reply to some pretty astounding statements from Rotherham Soul, can I ask why an obviously successful guy(and thats the problem isnt it RS?) would want to turn up at someone's event playing cd's unless he was either doing someone a favour and didn't want to bring his records out.

I saw him recently with some pretty tasty 45's in the old DJ box. He's also incredibly expensive to book, hence he doesn't need to be at 3rd party gigs very often.

Seriously, check him out at any of his gigs HE DOESN'T PLAY CD's, even though he is tarnished with the little silver things due to the amount he's compiled over the years.

Before we wallop him any further, we are talking about someone who has BEEN THERE, DONE IT and STILL DOING IT more successfully than most.

Not the point

Just because he is "successful" it doesn't give hinm the right to use other dj's records just because he can't be arsed to fetch his own when he has been booked to do a gig

Social source share

I don't beleive the DJ who's records were being used(and we still don't know the reason) would be annoyed by Kev asking to use them.

Again, why would someone with a pretty good collection anyway want to be impolite to a fellow DJ who was probably glad to be helping out!

The criticism against this guy over such a trivial matter knows no bounds!

Anyway I'm a fan, I went on his LA trip....F****** Unsurpassable.

Social source share

Sorry!

Thank the Dj !

cos if you are on about the night at the Adam and Eve They were my records.

If not He's done it again

So you must be Ian.... lol

In that case you can qualify all of what I said above.

As for Rollemcowboys comments....

There you go, from the horses mouth... he did turn up with cds....

WOOF!

Social source share

Pretty astounding comments I agree, but sadly all true.....

Granted hes being doing it for years... so you'd think he would have had the common decency to turn up with vinyl.....

The common decency to ask permission.....

The common decency to thank the DJ after the fact.....

Truth be told... Rotherham Soul (Ian)... didn't even bring up this topic... I did...

As an example to all of this gents actions and the fact that someone saying he never played cds was untrue.

At the end of the day this was during the time when Mr Roberts wasn't interested in the Northern Scene... pre his big comeback....and the various events that he runs.... so perhaps it was just a case of him not giving a toss and turning up with a box of cds to rattle out a oldies set to people who 'wouldn't know better'?

Cynical? Moi?

WOOF!

Social source share

I love all this bitching ...... fantastic entertainment.

Kev's played Hipshaker twice ...... in Portsmouth and at the IOW scooter rally. Both times he played off vinyl ......... and I don't recall him dipping his hand in my box ;-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!