Port Label

Guest Matt Male

Guest Matt Male

I've started collecting a few sounds on Port and realised i don't know anything about the label. I've tried googling it but no luck. Anyone point me in the direction of somewhere i can read up on the Port label?

Matt

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've started collecting a few sounds on Port and realised i don't know anything about the label. I've tried googling it but no luck. Anyone point me in the direction of somewhere i can read up on the Port label?

Matt

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/port.htm

Click above to Dave's excellent site . Discography should get you going. Cracking label IMHO ( Tho from the looks of it not allof it is soul - prob. vocal / teen maybe in the early stuff. Amazon sell spotlight series on Port - All doo wop tho. I think it was part of a group of labels (???)

Carol Fran ( Excellent 45s ) Kathy & The Calendars / Robert Neal / Intrigues / Gee's /Jets / Chris Towns / etc. See Manship for some audio clips / prices etc. Hope this gets you going.

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Matt

Matt

On the earlier series there's probably two of northern interest :

Soothers (also sought by the doowop crowd for Little White cloud) and Curtis Blandon

In addition to those quoted by Rich on the 3000 series the other ones of Northern interest are probably Daisy Burris, Big Maybelle and Johnny Newbag. Also there are a couple of collectable funk cuts eg. Jimmy Mayes.

Best of luck - its a good label with some nice releases !

John :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dear Matt,

a couple of days ago I have bought The Soothers "I Believe In You" (Port 70041). Nice track and to my ears rather a midtempo feel.

But to be honest I would not have paid the 75 pounds for what it is listed in the Manship price guide.

Best regards

YouYou

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Thanks all.

I've been working my way through Dave's list. Started with the brilliant Carol Fran - I'm gonna try.

You're right the 3000s are more soulful with some DooWop and even rock and roll in the 7000s, the Royalettes for example.

Other obviously northern are The Gees - It's all over/Love's a beautiful thing, and Daisy Burris - I've learned my lesson/Take the same thing, which is a cracking bit of R&B IMO.

Missed out on the Soothers the other night on ebay, forgot again... but you're right it's only worth £20 if that.

Matt

Social source share

Matt

I find the label on taylors port is quite a good one Matt port very nice with some blue cheese or a fruite stillton :lol::lol:

HB :huh:

Social source share

Thanks all.

I've been working my way through Dave's list. Started with the brilliant Carol Fran - I'm gonna try.

What a great voice she's got.. love 'Any Day Love Walks In' too :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!