Let's Hear It For The Guitarist

Simsy

And the award for outstanding guitar contributions in the field of soul records goes to ... in third place; Nolan Frederick Porter, for If I could only be sure .... Second place, Mr Freddie Chavez for They'll never know why ... And in first place ... (drumroll) ... Mr Willie Mitchell - The Champion. :huh:

Anymore for anymore? Top 10 / top 20 maybe ... ?

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

And the award for outstanding guitar contributions in the field of soul records goes to ... in third place; Nolan Frederick Porter, for If I could only be sure .... Second place, Mr Freddie Chavez for They'll never know why ... And in first place ... (drumroll) ... Mr Willie Mitchell - The Champion. :huh:

James Jameson for everything Motown did with a bass guitar in it.
Social source share

very underrated instrument soul wise, what with all the violins and brass going off everywhere.

i like this laid back mid-tempo number from brenton wood, two-time loser. just brenton, a rhythm section, a guitar and a doris in the background :huh::lol::lol:

Social source share

My fave guitar lick? The two guitars that make up the sublime intro to the Spinners, It's A Shame.

No idea who played, but would love to find out. It's one of my top ten records of all time.

Yes, it was a massive hit, yes you've heard it a zillion times, but try and hear it once with fresh ears; the whole thing is a masterpiece - and those jangly guitars playing that unforgettable riff set it up sooooo nicely :huh:

We don't associate lead or rhythm guitar with soul too much. Funny really, coz I'm hard pushed to think of a soul record without a guitar in there somewhere. The Impressions 60's stuff always had some very tasteful playing; possibly Curtis himself. Gypsey Woman springs to mind. So old, so charming, never get tired of it.

Colin

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Look ahead Gordon Kieth on Calumet.

More for the stamina of keeping up the raw lead guitar throughout, but also the way it fits with the horn section and Gordon's Vocal and - note for note when he sings "but it don't make sense to even hesitate"

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

My Northern Air Guitar Anthems:

Don't it make you feel funky - Joe Hicks

There was a Time - Gene Chandler

You just don't know - Chubby Checker

Social source share

Woss the story with this one Ken?

Take a look at "identify the stompa",in look at your box,its on about page 6 or 7,the one with 4,400 reads,and 1,100+ downloads for this,is that a lot?.

:sweatingbullets:

Social source share

And the award for outstanding guitar contributions in the field of soul records goes to ... in third place; Nolan Frederick Porter, for If I could only be sure .... Second place, Mr Freddie Chavez for They'll never know why ... And in first place ... (drumroll) ... Mr Willie Mitchell - The Champion. :ohmy:

In a similar vein, is it just me or has anyone noticed the ruining of records by a man with a twangy guitar?

You buy something blind; put it on the decks; great intro, fantastic vocal then in comes the man with the twangy guitar !

First example that comes to mind is "Two Sided Thing - Johnny Mae Mathews"

https://www.funk45.com/rm/mathews,_johnny_m...sided_thing.ram

Maybe it is just me? :wicked:

Are they all the same guy?

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

5. Ain't Nothin you can do - Joe Matthews

4. I'm So Glad - Joe Cato

3. This is the Thanks I get - Barbara Lynn (genius singer/writer/guitarist, any BL come to that)

2. You're gonna wreck my life - Guitar Ray

and by no means least...

1. The Boy needs a girl - Junior McCants - sublime

Social source share

Guitarplayer in William Cummings - Make my love a hurting thing is abs ace :yes:

some guitarperformings I like

Charles Mintz - Running back

Pearls - shooting high

Pat & the blenders- perfect solo ao

and one accoustic for Summer bbq´s Agents - Troubles

Social source share

Not necessarily an outstanding guitar contribution as such, but 'Your love make me lonely' - by the Chandlers, would be nothing without that distinctive guitar riff.

have to say the same about the exits, got to have money (if not already mentioned)

v distinctive riff

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!