FAVOURITE GROUP/SINGER NAME

Right, after all the heavy posts about low life thieving scum, thought i'd ask my fellow soul sources (this includes that strange collection of folks that lurk in Freebasing........."The Freebasers") what is the name given to a singer/group that makes you smile the most.

I'll throw a few of my favs in

JUDGE SUDS & THE SOUL DETERGENTS

ITALIAN ASHPHALT AND PAVEMENT COMPANY ( sorry johnny one trout, this is my gig , i beat you to it)

CASUALS ON THE SQUARE ( i say these from memory, and with an intake of imported beer and a mix of foul white wine from a country called Francais, so excuse any spelling mistakes)

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yep - good man that you sure are, Brett!! From the Freeloaders, back to the Freebasers!!!

Can't think of many that make me smile, but Custer's Last Band comes to mind!!

More when I think of them (may tickle my bum with a feather to make myself laugh, and then see what comes to mind!!).

Gene

Social source share

Hi Brett,

Likewise, hope to see you soon mate - don't let the low-lifes get you down.....

Here's a few more that make me laugh/smile:

WILLIE MASON & ALL THE KINGS MEN (must have taken a right "dumpty" to think of that one!!)

THE CONSTRUCTION

WORLD'S FUNKIEST BAND

LOU PRIDE (sounds like one-upmanship in state-of-the-art toilets)

THE EXPERIENCED HEARTMENDERS (one of Guy H's old cover-up names)

TRUE PATRON OF THE ARTS (UK title; actually Queen City Showband)

MAX BYGRAVES..............????????????????????????

Social source share

Elsie Tanners Knickers LOL that really made me laugh Gene, I wonder what sort of person thinks up such strange names

I think I know just what sort of person Karen - someone who wants us to remember the name, so we can forget just how crap they really are!!!

Now I remember why I never sent my mum out to buy my records for me when I was a teenager!!

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

the name given to a singer/group that makes you smile the most.

Tony Blackburn

Wayne Gibson

Wigan's Chosen Few

The Javells

Muriel Day

Frank Popp

To name but a few

Social source share

ahhhh on above.... just got it :)

Bang Gang used to bring a smile to me face along with the band logo

Joe King - always wanted to meet him just so can say "you must be joe king"(groan)

on a backward slant seeing the name below always brings up a smile and a surreal image of the ex-liverpool player moonlighting

sammy lee

Social source share

How about Greater Experience, there's bragging for ya.

The Futures, Gayle Adams, If they had made quality tracks instead of C***p ones,

I wonder if they would have used a different name ?

John... How many letters in crap?

(and I really hope you meant crap - if not I'll feel really stupid!)

On a note keeping with the topic; Bull & the Matadors - sounds like a star formation!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Mmm, I can think of a few non-soul ones, so here goes:

TONE DEAF & THE IDIOTS

ELSIE TANNER'S KNICKERS

DID LEE SQUAT

BARNEY RUBBLE & THE C*** STUBBLE

Wasn't Shane McGowan's first band called The Nipple Erectors, subsequently shortened to The Nips? I bet his mother was proud.

Worst name ever has to be a band a mate went to see who i swear were called Scraping Foetus off The Wheel. Bloody goths or something I think.

Social source share

Brett - i'm sure Jot and I had a discussion about the Italian Ashphalt & Pavement co - who they were, where from - he had a picture cover but I can't for the life of me find where it was. May have been on Soul Talk.

Check Yorself is a fantastic song - Incredibly uplifting wink.gif

Social source share

How About :  Southside Johnny & the Asbury Dukes smile.gif

(anyone remember the 70'strackplayed at wigan?)

Grant

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes - I played the fool on Epic

I used to have this. Bruce Springsteen connections with the sax player I seem to remember. I don't think I'd enjoy hearing it now!

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Brett - i'm sure Jot and I had a discussion about the Italian Ashphalt & Pavement co - who they were, where from - he had a picture cover but I can't for the life of me find where it was. May have been on Soul Talk.

Check Yorself is a fantastic song - Incredibly uplifting smile.gif

It was but it was on here as well in sales somewhere the were really the Duprees and the UK release of the CYS is credited to the Duprees the IAP Co is a joke thing, i guess you had to be there...............................

ooooops nearly forgot Mwahahoaaaar ;o))

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

How about Greater Experience, there's bragging for ya.

The Futures, Gayle Adams, If they had made quality tracks instead of C***p ones,

I wonder if they would have used a different name ?

The Futures were a great group!!!!!! Problem is that they made a bad record that for some strange reason caught the imagination of dancers pretty much everywhere Pooppytime Man is pants but "Ain't got time fa nuthin" is quality and it's off the same album as PTM ;o)))

JoT

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes - I played the fool on Epic

I used to have this. Bruce Springsteen connections with the sax player I seem to remember. I don't think I'd enjoy hearing it now!

Jordi

Jordi don't tell anyone i know this (shhh) but SSJaTAD were Bruce Springsteens backing band for years they are all from the same area Astbury Park New Joisey and Clem Clemmons was the sax player and a good mate of BS obviously i have no idea how i know that perhaps i read it in the Times or summat ;o))

John

BTW Clemm Clemmence(Clemmons?) was involved in a few Northern things as well so i guess it's on topic ish...

Social source share

The Futures were a great group!!!!!! Problem is that they made a bad record that for some strange reason caught the imagination of dancers pretty much everywhere Pooppytime Man is pants but "Ain't got time fa nuthin" is quality and it's off the same album as PTM ;o)))

JoT

'Silouhette' ain't bad by them either.

Not a real name but had a mate who covered up a record by 'The Chances' on Finch as 'Chance and the Tumbling Charlies'. Don't ask me why

hey ho

Scotty

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Personally i've always found Courtney Love's Hole particularly ammusing especially as they seem to accepted in the mainstream nowadays

Von Trout

Social source share

How about Mousie and the Traps!!

Here's another - The Chalfontes (any Viz reader will surely know that you rub Preparation H on chalfontes not put a needle on them and spin them round - OUCH!!).

And there's more:-

Ronnie Gaylord

Ozz and his Sperlings (what the hell is a sperling? - great record though)

and of course Phylis Hyman (what a funny name Phylis is!!)

There's loads more..... I laugh at at least one name per tape I get.

Prime example is a recent tape from Brett (cheers mate!), what kind of name is Ghetto Kitty (perhaps some kind of urban cat food!?!?). Great tune though so I suppose we can let them off!!

Social source share

Check Yorself is a fantastic song - Incredibly uplifting :rolleyes:

link

Yeah kolla i am sure i was a part of this thread to!

Social source share

One name that cracks me up is Marion Sodd. He did a song called "Permanent Vacation" What an unfortunate guy with a name like that. And I also wonder if the guys who put out "I'm Gettin' On Life" were proud to say "yeah-I'm in a band called Wombat..."

As for non-soul, I think "Blubbering Hellbellies" is pretty funny band name. The sickest most disgusting band names that I've ever heard have to be "Rectal Pizza" and "Fudge Tunnel". I can just see some mother saying "my son plays drums for Rectal Pizza and he makes pretty good money". Good lord, these are real bands we're talking about here.

BTW-Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes "I Played the Fool" was produced by none other than Steven Van Zandt aka "Little Steven" aka "Silvio" on the Sopranos. He was one of the Jukes himself and went on to play for Bruce Springsteen. After that, he went on to play the Bada Bing for Tony Soprano.

I've always dug the name "Abstract Reality". I've always been curious to hear the record because I liked their name so much. I believe they were on Sport or some other Detroit label. Anyone have that 45?

-Jas

Social source share

I've always dug the name "Abstract Reality". I've always been curious to hear the record because I liked their name so much. I believe they were on Sport or some other Detroit label. Anyone have that 45?

-Jas

"Love burns like a fire" came out on Sport and is a very nice recording. PM me your email address and I'll send you an mp3. I'm pretty sure they are also Micheal (Cambell) & Raymond (Monette) of 'Man without a woman' fame on RCA, the Pied Piper production being the Detroit link. They also sound very like the Sanpipers 'Lonley too long' as well!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!