Guest sigher the gutter snype

i managed to pick up vanessa kendrick 45 "90% of me" green glades label

recorded about 2 years before gwen mcrae think it's '72

other side is nice too

think last copy on ebay made £230 mark

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

post-2860-1138986949_thumb.jpg

60 releases on glades ( 1701 - 1761) 1972 - 1974. related labels: alston, cat , t.k. , glory , dade , chart , deluxe.

eerm i sold this and its a 1960's effort

Social source share

Thanks all . With the Betty Wright thread going on some praise indeed for soul from the sunshine state.Think also DRIVE / CAT part of this seemingly large soul family...

https://www.henrystonemusic.com/index.htm

Found that also.... now why didn't I think of that first...

Vanessa Kendrick track.. Lovely version - not surprised at the price. Any more faves on this group of labels ?

ATB

Rich

Social source share

I'm a massive fan of Gwen McCrae as an artist, but must admit I prefer Vanessa Kendrick's version of 90%. A pretty hard to get 45.

I love this version and was lucky enough to get mine cheap off ebay some years back. One of my Florida faves is on the Dash label: Leno Phillips - Confusion. Awesome mid tempo with that all important Florida guitar work grooving it along. Anybody anything about Leno?

Jordi

Social source share

I love this version and was lucky enough to get mine cheap off ebay some years back. One of my Florida faves is on the Dash label: Leno Phillips - Confusion. Awesome mid tempo with that all important Florida guitar work grooving it along. Anybody anything about Leno?

Jordi

Jordi, I've got the Leno Phillips, brilliant track and a rare one too.

Leno is actually Phillip Leno Wright, Betty Wrights brother. He has another using this name on Dash, think it was the blue Dash label not the yellow one. He also recorded as Phillip Wright on the same label.

"Confusion" for me is rarer and better than "Keep her happy" which has just been valued on a previous thread this week at $700. :thumbsup:

Tomo

Social source share

Jordi, I've got the Leno Phillips, brilliant track and a rare one too.

Leno is actually Phillip Leno Wright, Betty Wrights brother. He has another using this name on Dash, think it was the blue Dash label not the yellow one. He also recorded as Phillip Wright on the same label.

"Confusion" for me is rarer and better than "Keep her happy" which has just been valued on a previous thread this week at $700. :thumbsup:

Tomo

Cheers for the info tomo, it's funny how so much of the Florida stuff comes back round to Betty Wright and husband King Sporty. I love the whole feel of it, sunshine grooves with proper soul. You can hear the fusion of the Reggae from just over the water, and the soul in a lot of the music. King Sporty did a lot of reggae stuff and soul/disco stuff, Frankie Zhivago Young, Chosen Few etc, all helped to create a great Florida soul sound.

Jordi

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!