Whats Your Ns Claim To Fame ?

All of us must have a story to tell here, mine is back in about 1996 i sold my copy of Wade Flemmons Jeanette to Bob Hinsley for a fiver, he started playing it in his sets and the rest is history !

:wicked: Andy :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

• Replies 111
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

All of us must have a story to tell here, mine is back in about 1996 i sold my copy of Wade Flemmons Jeanette to Bob Hinsley for a fiver, he started playing it in his sets and the rest is history !

:sweatingbullets:

te] Hi Andy a good few years ago ,I found a tune in Philadelphia by Harvey and the Jokers for $10 :wicked: It made it and is fairly rare,whether you like it or not ,loads of people dance to it ,Still?Sold the dancer for £1200.A bit more than I paid ......! Owner of the label ,some time ago ,had no more copies! Ask Ian Cunliffe.ATB Stevie Z

Social source share

I played Pressure-Drizabone at Keele in 1997 in the main room.

I played the last ever record at the P'boro all nighters in 1976-Bobby Hutton-Lend a hand.

I played a c up at the 100 club which fortnum and spencer told me was massive, collected it en route played it and it was awful, it was in fact MATT MUNRO....strange thing is three punters actually danced to it before I tool it off.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

100 CLUB

Ady C with big promotion on his latest c/u he was about to spin, AC plays said record ten seconds later I was informing him it was on UK DECCA and I had been spinning it in North Wales for about 20 years, AC reaction, someone always does this to me.

PHOENIX ALL NITER - HOLYHEAD

3am I had just played the last record of my spot, having annonced the next DJ, when the police raided the place and shut us down, hence I played the very last record at our unlicenced allnighter by default, real shame as it was a cracker of a venue :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

100 CLUB

Ady C with big promotion on his latest c/u he was about to spin, AC plays said record ten seconds later I was informing him it was on UK DECCA and I had been spinning it in North Wales for about 20 years, AC reaction, someone always does this to me.

PHOENIX ALL NITER - HOLYHEAD

3am I had just played the last record of my spot, having annonced the next DJ, when the police raided the place and shut us down, hence I played the very last record at our unlicenced allnighter by default, real shame as it was a cracker of a venue :sweatingbullets:

What c/u on Decca then Speaky? :wicked:

Social source share

Once sang with McFadden and Whithead, will that do?

Not bad :yes: ,me i sung in front of Little Ann,at cleethorpe`s to thousand`s of me fans,L Ann try`d to join in,thank god you coudnt hear me,above the chant`s of kenni....kenni.....kenni.......anybody remember? :D

Edited by ken
Social source share

I played Pressure-Drizabone ateele n 1997 in the main room.I played the last ever record at the P'boro all nighters in 1976-Bobby Hutton-Lend a hand.I played a c up at the 100 club which fortnum and spencer told me was massive, collected it en route played it and it was awful, it was in fact MATT MUNRO....strange thing is three punters actually danced to it before I tool it off.

Had the pleasure of woking with Paul Donely !!!!...which was ok until him Gary Spencer started telling Me how to do things & How Much that the MUST Be Paid....Terms & Conditions Apply....Good Job Carl Fortnum is not like them 2....

Jon Buck

buy the way I Am Taking the Piss....

Social source share

Got a copy of a really dire 12" electro record from North Carolina. The company packed it with two mint copies of Glenda McCloud. Kept one swapped the other to Ian Clark and he broke it.

I appear in the inside cover of the CD "Reaching for the Best - the Northern Soul of Blackpool Mecca".I'm the one holding the 'Ronn' Demo. And sporting a bow tie becuse you had to have a tie to get past the bouncers at the Mecca.

:yes:

Social source share

Had the pleasure of woking with Paul Donely !!!!...which was ok until him Gary Spencer started telling Me how to do things & How Much that the MUST Be Paid....Terms & Conditions Apply....Good Job Carl Fortnum is not like them 2....

Jon Buck

buy the way I Am Taking the Piss....

LOL.

actaully a lot of difference betweenme and Spenna getting paid for a spot and fronting Loughboro Town hall for you with a wedge :yes: ...still haven't been paid. :D

Btw I'm also taking the piss...happy days,

Social source share

Put Carl Willingham onto Jimmy Thomas "Above a Whisper" .. if that's a claim :yes:

Nice record you cud of told me first Mandy my dear

Did share a bottle of vodka with Jackie Wilson & another dj at TOTW 1974 :D

Only wish id got him to sign it :D

HB :D

Social source share

:D Andy :yes:

Being in a position where i can give something back to this scene by co-promoting Winsford Allnighters. :D

Steve

Social source share

I used to do a novelty ventriloquy act but instead of a dummy I had the wife sit on my knee. Less lifelike than a dummy but cheaper. I was in the Holiday Inn, Lansing doing my act and I noticed one young lady glaring at me from the audience. After the performance she came up to me and told me that my act was demeaning to women, and despite trying to defuse the situation she became abusive and threatening, telling me that if I ever talked out of my wife....

Yes, that young lady was Dena Barnes!!!!

Social source share

I used to do a novelty ventriloquy act but instead of a dummy I had the wife sit on my knee. Less lifelike than a dummy but cheaper. I was in the Holiday Inn, Lansing doing my act and I noticed one young lady glaring at me from the audience. After the performance she came up to me and told me that my act was demeaning to women, and despite trying to defuse the situation she became abusive and threatening, telling me that if I ever talked out of my wife....

==========

very good :yes:

Social source share

:yes::D Top class Rod, Just wondering where you put your hand :D
Social source share

:yes::D Quality Rod ,Quality.....

Shared a couple of pints of Guinness with Martha Reeves, on a wet and windy Tuesday night in Chorlton-Cum-Hardy ,Manchester...many stories told, many tunes sung......surreal.....

Social source share

:yes::D Top class Rod, Just wondering where you put your hand :D

Cunnie, that is uncanny as I was going to relate the story of the time Candi Statton saw my act at the Holiday Inn,Macon. She too asked me:

"Now,what you got up her,a hand?"

My hand was of course holding the strings that opened and closed her mouth. Just wish I had those strings today.

ROD

Social source share

My dad is Kenny Lynch..He could be dad a few times me thinks..The story goes that he and Tony Blackburn have slept with 5,000 women... :thumbsup: ..Dirty buggers..

:):) Great

In my days living in the toon i had a good soulie mate called Paolo whose family owned Santinos pizzeria on the big market in Newcastle, one evening i was in there with friends when through the door came a guy called Howard, a big doorman from the town who also doubled as a bodyguard for big acts that went to the City hall, behind him came a short but large bottomed lady...who was in fact Chaka Khan..Poalo got her later that evening to sing along to a couple of her tracks...priceless... she talked to everyone in there she was great..mind you there was only 15 people in

Paolo if you get on here drop me a line

Geeoooordie

Social source share

As a young lad on his first visit to Yate i asked IAN CLARK if he would play "George Carrow - Angel Baby"

his reply was "HAVE YOU FUCKIN' GOT IT :thumbsup: " put me off DJ's for life !!!!

Now i'm older & ever so slightly wiser, i wonder if it was near the end of his spot ?? :)

Social source share

Snogged Betty Lavette with tongues at Gt Yarmouth weekender years ago.

:)

This kiss and tell is yuk!!,or is this tonge in cheek.... :thumbsup: Edited by ken
Social source share

Got stoned with Marv Johnson......

:thumbsup::)

Gerry Marshall spoke to me once, He said...........STOP PUSHING AT THE BACK!!!!!!

:)

Snogged Betty Lavette with tongues at Gt Yarmouth weekender years ago.

:) With the exception of Ken & Marv Johnson, this is the best NS claim to fame to date imo. :yes:

I do peoples heads in.

Cobblers! I think your'e great! :):D

Had cozy chats with Edwin Starr about the Ric-Tic days in the vip lounge at Highwire in Harlow. Gave wardrobe advice to Garland Green once.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!