The Hytones

Supercorsa

There's a copy of this on Ebay (here).

I saw this before any bids had been made, anyway I've never heard it, so I managed to find it on the Soul Club site. Listened to it, liked it and then bid on it. Unfortunately, I've been outbid (no surprise) and it still hasn't reached it's reserve.

So could anybody tell me how much I'd have to pay (or save up!) to get a copy?

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There's a copy of this on Ebay (here).

I saw this before any bids had been made, anyway I've never heard it, so I managed to find it on the Soul Club site.  Listened to it, liked it and then bid on it.  Unfortunately, I've been outbid (no surprise) and it still hasn't reached it's reserve.

So could anybody tell me how much I'd have to pay (or save up!) to get a copy?

don't know if you buy CD's mate but it was on an early Kent compilation of Abet and subsidiary stuff - Roger Hatcher, Bessie Banks et al - if you don't manage to track it down. Remember it being a huge record for Pat Brady early 90s at the Griffin in Leeds

Uptown Soul, Down South (or something like that - a long time ago and may even be deleted??)

cheers Scotty

Social source share

Hammy got mine for £35.00 at Plinston last year from a souly whos not been around for a long time,Bargain or what..Just goes to prove keep looking in the small boxes that come in of the street,you never know whats in 'em.

Social source share

Best we see what it ends up at, to be honest i paid about £8.00 for mine way back around Stafford time early 80's, seen a lot more common records sell for far more money than they shoul so who really knows.

Mark Bicknell.

I had one bit later, didn't pay much either.

Agree with your comments regarding more common records going for more, strange world of northern soul indeed. Still think a hike from £150 within the last 18/24 months to £600 now is abit much.

Social source share

I had one bit later, didn't pay much either.

Agree with your comments regarding more common records going for more, strange world of northern soul indeed. Still think a hike from £150 within the last 18/24 months to £600 now is abit much.

Hi Chalky

£600 is over the top but I have a funny feeling this could be a record that goes 'funny' price wise in the way countless others have over the last few years.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I'm sorry but £600 for a record that s always been about???  Admittedly not seen every week but it ain't £600 rare IMO!!!  Would have thought £250/£300 these days.  Agree though a great record.

AGREE WITH CHALKY-WORTH ABOUT £300. YOU'RE MAD IF YOU PAY £600.

SO WHAT'S THE RARE HYTONES WORTH?????????? £2000.

Social source share

You obviously don't pay much attention, since there has been a number of copies on ebay, and elsewhere, in the last year or so, and I don't think any of them reached £400, more like around £300. There are plenty of morons around with loads of money to spend so if this particular copy reaches £600, I'm not surprised. Crazier prices for inferior and more common records is an everyday occurance nowadays. £620 for Ujima, and the auction (JM) is not over yet, the crazy bastards should be locked up somewhere dark and silent, if I had my way.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

You obviously don't pay much attention, since there has been a number of copies on ebay, and elsewhere, in the last year or so, and I don't think any of them reached £400, more like around £300. There are plenty of morons around with loads of money to spend so if this particular copy reaches £600, I'm not surprised. Crazier prices for inferior and more common records is an everyday occurance nowadays. £620 for Ujima, and the auction (JM) is not over yet, the crazy bastards should be locked up somewhere dark and silent, if I had my way.

BUT NOBODY KNOWS WHO PAYS THESE STUPID PRICES. ON THE OTHER HAND WHO WOULD ADMIT IT.

Social source share

All a bit serious this me thinks.......to be honest i don't really care how much some of these so called rare records go for, also ain't it always the case when you sell something nice that some joker comes out with the old chestnut "I would have given you more than that for it" like they are trying to buy into something really.

Ebay has become a total minefield and no i have not been paying that much attention to it in recent times sorry.

Mark Bicknell.

P.S Let's hope who ever wins The Hytones wants it because they love the record rather than another status symbol....lol

Social source share

Just gone for £490.

Hope you're paying attention Christian LOL!!!!!!!

Jamie

I always try to keep up with things! New ebay record then. Have seen maybe half a dozen from various sources in the last year and like I said, none went for more than £400, most were in the £300 - £350 bracket. Let's just hope Mark is right and that the buyer really loves the record and therefore bought it. Unjustified record hype, obvious "status buying" and inflated prices is one of the worst down sides of the whole northern thing for me.

Social source share

Well, I've been interested in this topic.

I liked it so much I added it to my wants list, before I found out it's value. I'd love to have bought it, but unfortunately £490 is about £470 above what I normally pay for a single!

Toby (you jammy git), I'll go mad and give you £40 for it! ;-)

Finally, I just thought it was a great tune! Isn't that what makes certain records great and not their price?

Social source share

So it turned out i was only £110.00 out and those who said £300.00 were £190.00 out oh well we were all wrong, still crazy money, sure a quality tune but as with so many records it's getting out of reach for most people today, scares the shit out of me to think the market could crash at anytime then perhaps that will sought out the true collectors from the merchants buying it to what ever it is.....

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I'll echo points made by Mark Bicknell. I too had this many years ago and used to play it out - nobody gave a shit about the tune then. Funny how they all jump on the bandwagon when the price escalates. Like I've said before, lot of people on soul scene know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Excuse me, there's a herd of sheep passing my way...................baaaaaaahhhhhhh

Social source share

I remember george sharp doin' me a sales tape about 18 years hytones, attractions - why shouldn't a man cry.. to mention a few all were £5 @ all the titles were kicking around and never really made it ,but collecters like myself snapped em up and the truth is they never came along again in quantity ! this will happen in the future with these £20-£30 sounds of today for sure.

the ABET release is by no means rare a simple case of demand and more importantly quality - let's be honest these things are not on the shelves at asda.....

Social source share

Here,here Andy and Mark can't add anymore to your very valid and constructive comments on this topic, as i said i care very little of the true or inflated value of certain records, it's nice if you still have the odd one or two from way back, slighty more difficult to deal with when you had them and let them go for a few quid or worse pennies way back, still if we knew then what we know now we would have kept them all, i've forgotton some of the titles i have had over the years which is perhaps a good thing otherwise i would be totally crazy and bitter with it all, still we crack on with this wonderful journey don't we?

I bet we could all rattle off a list as long as your arm of little cheapies from the early 80's we had which are now worth a fortune...such is life and all part of the game.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

slighty more difficult to deal with when you had them and let them go for a few quid or worse pennies way back, still if we knew then what we know now we would have kept them all, i've forgotton some of the titles i have had over the years which is perhaps a good thing otherwise i would be totally crazy and bitter with it all, still we crack on with this wonderful journey don't we?

I bet we could all rattle off a list as long as your arm of little cheapies from the early 80's we had which are now worth a fortune...such is life and all part of the game.

Mark Bicknell.

Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all,Mark

It seems nowadays sometimes that the prices are dictating the dancefloor and not necessarily the choon, all the more reason for DJ's to open up the dusty box.

H.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!