Prestwich Door Staff

Cunnie

Made my once a year visit to Prestwich last night & i've got to say it's my last visit.

We arrived at about 9-45 and then the fun started. there was a small queue of about 15 in front of us. The bouncers on the door were operating a 1 in 1 out policy as they said it was full, fair enough, we should have arrived early.

After about 1/2 an hour a few folks started to trickle out but by now the queue was at least 50 deep & blocking the passageway. That's when the doorstaff (2 big girls who looked like Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum!) started getting awkward, a woman in front of us asked if she could nip in to use the Ladies. No chance, she finished up having to go to the railway station.

Next a young lad came out to use a cash machine, would they let him back in? would they hell.

This is when things really got daft, Ginger Taylor arrived as he was DJ'ing & guess what - they would'nt let him in (jobsworths or what!).

When we finally got in at 11pm Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum said it was a fire risk to let any more in (surely a blocked exit door is a bigger fire risk). Funny thing is i've been to Prestwich loads of times before & on every occasion it's been a lot fuller than last night.

Anyway it got to about 11-15 & thats when i really got pissed off, Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum decided to let everyone else in after all, so we were all a fire risk at 10pm but not at 11-15. :yes:

Anyone else had these problems there?

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Made my once a year visit to Prestwich last night & i've got to say it's my last visit.

We arrived at about 9-45 and then the fun started. there was a small queue of about 15 in front of us. The bouncers on the door were operating a 1 in 1 out policy as they said it was full, fair enough, we should have arrived early.

After about 1/2 an hour a few folks started to trickle out but by now the queue was at least 50 deep & blocking the passageway. That's when the doorstaff (2 big girls who looked like Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum!) started getting awkward, a woman in front of us asked if she could nip in to use the Ladies. No chance, she finished up having to go to the railway station.

Next a young lad came out to use a cash machine, would they let him back in? would they hell.

This is when things really got daft, Ginger Taylor arrived as he was DJ'ing & guess what - they would'nt let him in (jobsworths or what!).

When we finally got in at 11pm Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum said it was a fire risk to let any more in (surely a blocked exit door is a bigger fire risk). Funny thing is i've been to Prestwich loads of times before & on every occasion it's been a lot fuller than last night.

Anyway it got to about 11-15 & thats when i really got pissed off, Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum decided to let everyone else in after all, so we were all a fire risk at 10pm but not at 11-15. :yes:

Anyone else had these problems there?

Hi Ian

The door staff there are really up their own a---s - talk about being awkward. I think Terry and Lynne need to sort this out with the authorities ( although it's probably outside their jurisdiction) Ginger did not seem happy when he finally got in!!!!! Where were you? I was in the 'record foyer' all night and didn't spot you!

Julian

Social source share

And heres me thinking you had to Q to leave the place :yes: Only live about 3mins drive from the place and never go anymore. think the last time was when it was that nighter live on the radio and having to pass it on my way home from one of Mike,s Drunken monkeys do,s just called in . As you do.

Steve

Social source share

the world is full of morons, cunnie.

at least you've managed to keep a sense of humour, though :yes:

No way would I have queued, and no way would I have allowed two "Morons" who obviously are incapable of finding " gainful employment " dictate to me as to when or when not I could enter the premises. Irrespective of the distance that I would have travelled to get there I would not have accepted being treated in that way, You can listen to quality soul music in the car on the way home........

Social source share

Thanks for the comments guy's.

Having read my 1st post again i'm just adding a bit to it. I realise this was'nt a fault of Terry's & hope he does'nt think this is some sort of swipe at his venue, far from it as it was great to stand back & look at 2 rooms of folks enjoying themselves last night. The main thing i'm hoping for is for someone to have a quiet word in his ear so he can pass on the info to the management & hopefully nothing similar will happen again. All that was needed on the night was a bit of common sense by the 2 girls on the door, perhaps they could have let us wait in the downstairs area as it was bloody freezing & the occasional "i'm sorry" would'nt have gone amiss.

Julian, Spent most of the night in the landing area myself. I think you're getting me mixed up with Ian Cunliffe, i'm called cunnie cos i can lick my eyebrows. Ask the missis, she'll explain :yes::D .

John, mate's stereo was bust so that was'nt an option (anyone who know's Errol will know exactly what i mean :D )

Think my next venture over the pennines will be to pop in & say hello to the Greatstone boys. Hope you're ready for a few more Yorkshire invaders lads :D

Lata, Mart...

Social source share

I tried to pop out to get some cash and was told that i would have to queue to get back in. I explained that id paid my money and got there early so why would i have to queue to get back in. She said that it wasn't fair on the people outside!!! S basically if anyone is waiting to get in then noone else can leave the building. They were two of the biggest morons ive ever met. I told them they weren't right in the head and they tried to throw me out so i legged it back up stairs with my tail stuck firmly between my legs.

Seriously though, who were these numpty's and why were they giving it the big i am. This incident really put me off going back to prestwich again, which is a shame because it was a good night.

Social source share

the doormen at prestwich are normally ok, was it not the normal two on the door if it was you should have let lynne and terry know because i think they actually hire them, i do know they are allowed something like 550 people in this is there limit set by fire officer. have not been to prestwich for a long time if i do go just spend all night in the foyer taking the mick out of julian whistling.gif .

mark

Social source share

Julian, Spent most of the night in the landing area myself. I think you're getting me mixed up with Ian Cunliffe, i'm called cunnie cos i can lick my eyebrows. Ask the missis, she'll explain :rolleyes::lol: .

===========================================================================

There,s only one Ian Cunliffe , Handsome, Sophisticated, Kind to animals, Great taste in music

also known as Cunnie in my younger days because of my vibrating tongue.. whistling.gif

Regards Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

In situations like that you should always ask to see there 'licence' :lol:

Be allright if it was that easy Baz,you might spoil it for everyone else,who was there early.....maybe even get the place shut? whistling.gif you would look like a spoilsport,100s of fukced of soul/folk having too leave early :rolleyes:

Social source share

Be allright if it was that easy Baz,you might spoil it for everyone else,who was there early.....maybe even get the place shut? :rolleyes: you would look like a spoilsport,100s of fukced of soul/folk having too leave early :lol:

Why would that spoil it, the door staff should only be working if they are carrying a licence, no reason to shut the night down, Bouncers with an attitued really pisses me off big time, funny story was in a local pub on a thursday night once there was me and a mate at the bar, and about another five people scatterd about, was a cold night i had a short sleeved shirt on and a Fred Perry tracksuit top on, boncer comes over and tells me to take it of :lol: urrm no was the reply he said its door policy no tracksuite tops or hoodys in the bar, there was a women sat down with one on, i told him are you going to ask her to take it off to he said im asking you, i said hows about f**k off, after alot of swearing from my behalf and telling him exactely what i though of him got 'removed' from the pub and banned whistling.gif one of my biggest wind ups are them w***kers.

Social source share

If they had badge's they should have had them on display , It's a hefty fine if your caught working a front line door with out one, I'm not 100% sure but I think the promoters get fined as well.

Unprofessional ("bored don't like the music") , Door staff who give it large and display a bad attitude just because they can...

How do they keep ending up working soul night's and basically being paid for pissing people off in a do where pissed off people are normally as rare to find as the music they've came to listen are. (if that makes sense) unsure.gif

If security is required by the venue owner's could the promoter not pick their own door staff, that way you'll know who your getting is licensed, and will give the soulie's the same respect as no doubt he/she is receiving from them..

I know of a security firm that had the same team work regular weekender's and one off night's for a large music scene kinda like the soul scene , the security team was a professional bunch of nutter's that where willing to travel, knew the scene and liked the music and didn't provoke trouble.

Social source share

I have never had any problems getting into Prestwich, but then again if you arrive late... every month Terry and Lynne will recommend you get there early, their 'it's always a lock out' isnt a ploy like other promoters use, it is always a lock out. Who does the door at prestwich is out of their hands. Cunnie - ild like to think that you had a word with terry or lynne on Friday night after you got in, before coming on here and slagging off the event?

Social source share

My door staff say they love it on a soul nite. They get paid and don't have to do anything....

They even brought a telly to watch when the rugby match was on last year....

But they do keep out the "locals" if they try and get in....

Luckily I've known them both since we were kids, so they know what sensible people we are... :hypo:

Social source share

Thanks for the comments guy's.

Julian, Spent most of the night in the landing area myself. I think you're getting me mixed up with Ian Cunliffe, i'm called cunnie cos i can lick my eyebrows. Ask the missis, she'll explain :D:hypo: .

Where can we find her these days Martin ? :D

Social source share

I have never had any problems getting into Prestwich, but then again if you arrive late... every month Terry and Lynne will recommend you get there early, their 'it's always a lock out' isnt a ploy like other promoters use, it is always a lock out. Who does the door at prestwich is out of their hands. Cunnie - ild like to think that you had a word with terry or lynne on Friday night after you got in, before coming on here and slagging off the event?

Think you'll find that in post #7 he states he isn't slagging off the event Janine, in fact states enjoyed it.... just commenting on the two door staffs' attitudes towards people waiting to get in.... including Ginger :hypo: who I suspect will have told Terry :D ....

Where can we find her these days Martin ? :D

Steve!!!! :D:D ....

Social source share

He said he wont be going back again... so obviously his experiance has been damaging enough to stop him going again. I have no problems with anyone complaining about an event, just think it's a bit sad when you dont bother to discuss things with the promoters and at least give them a chance to reply before going public! Terry and Lynne are NOT members off SS... so what excatly was the whole point of this topic then if not just to slag the venue off???

Social source share

He said he wont be going back again... so obviously his experiance has been damaging enough to stop him going again. I have no problems with anyone complaining about an event, just think it's a bit sad when you dont bother to discuss things with the promoters and at least give them a chance to reply before going public! Terry and Lynne are NOT members off SS... so what excatly was the whole point of this topic then if not just to slag the venue off???

As paying punter we have a right to know if we are going to be treated like scum on the door, not that i would have ever gone any way but thats not the point, I cant see any where he slagged of the event just the incapable w**kers on the door. And if this thread gets that problem sorted its done its job :unsure:

Social source share

Why moan about over efficious door staff, when on another topic people were moaning about drunks at do's?

As for the fire regulations, I'd rather they put the customers (already inside) safety first, than that of people queuing up outside.

The doorstaff at the Castle Soul Club were very good, mind you I think she's a soulie. :unsure:

Social source share

Agreed with Mark B here-someone should have alerted the relevent party (i.e. the club manager or Lyn and Terry) to what was going on. I deal with security quite a lot and they have a really difficult job dealing with idiots and wind up merchants who always see it as a 'challenge'.

It sounds like these two (and surprised it was two women) didn't have a proper brief as to the entry policy to me and were just really over doing it.

A security guy I was working with once said to me - 'My job isn't to stop people going somewhere, it's to help them get where they should be'. Security should be ambassadors for the club.

Social source share

You're out of order Janine :unsure:

Social source share

Agreed with Mark B here-someone should have alerted the relevent party (i.e. the club manager or Lyn and Terry) to what was going on. I deal with security quite a lot and they have a really difficult job dealing with idiots and wind up merchants who always see it as a 'challenge'.

It sounds like these two (and surprised it was two women) didn't have a proper brief as to the entry policy to me and were just really over doing it.

A security guy I was working with once said to me - 'My job isn't to stop people going somewhere, it's to help them get where they should be'. Security should be ambassadors for the club.

I told them that the door staff wouldn't let anyone out of the building but they said it was nothing to do with them. The venue had hired them. Im not the biggest fan of door staff but these two were real muppets. It was like being in a scally club in town. They were giving plenty and almost wanting me to kick off. All i wanted was to pop to the cashy and another bloke wanted to put a couple of records in the car.

They were total arseholes and someone needs to make sure they aren't on next time.

Social source share

Not all door staff are incapable w**kers, most of them are very friendly and helpful. By the looks of things the promoters were told of the incedents but pushed it aside.........

Social source share

============

Reading through the posts, I don't think anyone is slagging off the event, just highlighting the over zealous attitudes of the door staff on that particular night. I'm also sure that Terry and Lynne will address the situation, as I'm sure it will have been bought to their attention.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Not all door staff are incapable w**kers, most of them are very friendly and helpful. By the looks of things the promoters were told of the incedents but pushed it aside.........

================

Anything to corroborate this Baz, or is it just a theory? I've always found both Terry and Lynne willing to listen to anything constructive regarding the event or the venue, so the above seems a little unfair to me unless backed up by facts?

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

============

Reading through the posts, I don't think anyone is slagging off the event, just highlighting the over zealous attitudes of the door staff on that particular night. I'm also sure that Terry and Lynne will address the situation, as I'm sure it will have been bought to their attention.

Winnie, I am sure you are spot on with regards Terry and Lynne. However as I have found out from sad experience with some venues, you have no say who goes on the door and they are simply not interested in your point of view sadly :unsure: Hope that will not be the case hear, as I am sure this is something that all involved would not take lightly as they are promoters that care IMVHO :lol:

Social source share

I told them that the door staff wouldn't let anyone out of the building but they said it was nothing to do with them.

Anything to corroborate this Baz, or is it just a theory? I've always found both Terry and Lynne willing to listen to anything constructive regarding the event or the venue, so the above seems a little unfair to me unless backed up by facts?

See Pauls above post, i just took it that he said 'them' meaning the promoters :unsure:

Social source share

I dj'd at a do in london a couple of years ago and one of the doormen used to go to Wigan.. he had a wigan tattoo.. managed to get him up dancing.. then I dj'd at a friends wedding and he was working the door there.. this time sucking a kids lolly and having a dance.. seemed a nice bloke as well. wacko.gif:unsure:

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Janine, i think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick here. If you read what i wrote in post 7 you will see i wasn't slagging off the event at all, just the door staff who had absoloutely no respect whatsoever for the people in the queue or the people who popped out & were not let back in.

I did not speak to Terry personally but others in our party did & from what we could make out Ginger gave him a right bo***cking as he had arranged to turn up late. (i will pm you his reply, i think you will be suprised).

Social source share

Martin,

Dave and bri Pinches got in OK...... :lol: mind you i think the doormen/women would be shit scared of them,

Do you need me to do some knee work in the near future :unsure:

Geeooooordie

Ian, i thought the women on the door were Dave & Bri shhh.gif .

They'd have given em a run for they're money :lol:

Best watch my back now as i've just seen that Dave's reading this yes.gif

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 5 2006, 09:27 PM) link
the doormen at prestwich are normally ok, was it not the normal two on the door if it was you should have let lynne and terry know because i think they actually hire them, i do know they are allowed something like 550 people in this is there limit set by fire officer. have not been to prestwich for a long time if i do go just spend all night in the foyer taking the mick out of julian :unsure: .

mark

550 are you sure?? I used to run a club that was half the size with less fire exits & more stairs and was allowed 300...if it is 550 there bloody strict in Prestwich.

Geeooordie

Social source share

Can't comment on this particular incident as i don't go to Prestwich as a rule.

But what i would like to say is that doorstaff are the first contact us paying customers have with a club .... and incidents such as the above does reflect badly on the promoters of the venue.

To say that the doorstaff are nothing to do with you ..... and therefore can treat your paying customers as badly as they like .... well ... i'm lost for words quite frankly.

Apologies if i'm wrong ..... but when you hire somewhere like Prestwich .... isn't the cost of the door staff included in the price of hiring the venue?

Social source share

I agree joan,

and i also would like to add when people used to hire the club i ran, they had the say of what the doorman did or didnt do including letting people in, theyd hired the room it was for them to set the rules (except for total numbers and fisty cuffs of course, that was my Department) surley the event organisers must have some sway over the door policy.

The item about the guy who went to the cash machine and couldn't get back in and the holding of people at the door without any communication stinks of amature door work that inflates trouble, im speaking from experience and plenty of aggro through stupid policies i deployed when starting out in the pub game, i soon learned that information and courtesy pay dividends.

Shame I quite like Prestwich for the modern room, and the record bars...but would think twice if Numpty Dumpties were on the door

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Why moan about over efficious door staff, when on another topic people were moaning about drunks at do's?

As for the fire regulations, I'd rather they put the customers (already inside) safety first, than that of people queuing up outside.

The doorstaff at the Castle Soul Club were very good, mind you I think she's a soulie. :D

[/ :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

You're out of order Janine :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong at all with my principle on this matter... rules off SS state you shouldnt have a dig at someone unless they are on here and given the chance to reply to them... my point was as terry and lynne are not members off SS they have no right of reply.

And when people come on here and say 'im not going back there because of such and such' then I also believe that can have an effect on someone else mayby thinking of attending this venue in the future.

I have been going to prestwich for years since it started and never had any problems :thumbsup:

Social source share

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 5 2006, 09:27 PM) link the doormen at prestwich are normally ok, was it not the normal two on the door if it was you should have let lynne and terry know because i think they actually hire them, i do know they are allowed something like 550 people in this is there limit set by fire officer. have not been to prestwich for a long time if i do go just spend all night in the foyer taking the mick out of julian :thumbsup: .

mark

550 are you sure?? I used to run a club that was half the size with less fire exits & more stairs and was allowed 300...if it is 550 there bloody strict in Prestwich.

Geeooordie

cant be certain but that is something like that figure from memory, it is a fairly big place but that is why it is always full and quite often a lockout. the modern room is small but really packs them in so main room may not seem as full as it could be. in manchester the fire officers are very strict with clubs. mark Edited by mark.b
Social source share

Nothing wrong at all with my principle on this matter... rules off SS state you shouldnt have a dig at someone unless they are on here and given the chance to reply to them... my point was as terry and lynne are not members off SS they have no right of reply.

And when people come on here and say 'im not going back there because of such and such' then I also believe that can have an effect on someone else mayby thinking of attending this venue in the future.

I have been going to prestwich for years since it started and never had any problems :thumbsup:

With respect janine ... i don't believe he was having a go at the Davis's.

He was just pointing out how he had been treated by the doorstaff.

I, like you, have also been to Prestwich many times with no problem what so ever .... but neither of us were there on Friday.

Social source share

just to clear up any confusion

1. This thread was closed by the thread starter - anyone who starts a thread can close it if so wish

however do ask that if do decide to do this, to help avoid misunderstandings could you please post up saying that have closed it

2. A link to the guideline/rules can be found at the top of each forum page.

If going to quote then ask please get it right

As far as site is concerned there was no problem with this thread

Social source share

just to clear up any confusion

1. This thread was closed by the thread starter - anyone who starts a thread can close it if so wish

however do ask that if do decide to do this, to help avoid misunderstandings could you please post up saying that have closed it

2. A link to the guideline/rules can be found at the top of each forum page.

If going to quote then ask please get it right

As far as site is concerned there was no problem with this thread

As you have said there's no problem with this thread i have re-opened it.
Social source share

As paying punter we have a right to know if we are going to be treated like scum on the door, not that i would have ever gone any way but thats not the point, I cant see any where he slagged of the event just the incapable w**kers on the door. And if this thread gets that problem sorted its done its job :wicked:

Nice thought Baz, but since Terry and Lynne are not members off this site I very much doubt it, the best way to prevent this happening again would be for the people who are complaining to address the problems direct with the promoters (which they are now going to) :ohmy:

Seems im alone here in wanting to show respect for promoters who aren't on this site.... I honestly believe if there is / or was a problem at a venue I would first take that up with the promoter at the first available opportunity and allow them the chance to sort it out before mentioning it on a public forum and stating I would never return to their venue again. I won't bother answering anything else on this matter, ive made my point, no skin off my nose if anyone else doesn't agree with me :ohmy:

Social source share

Nice thought Baz, but since Terry and Lynne are not members off this site I very much doubt it, the best way to prevent this happening again would be for the people who are complaining to address the problems direct with the promoters (which they are now going to) :wicked:

Seems im alone here in wanting to show respect for promoters who aren't on this site.... I honestly believe if there is / or was a problem at a venue I would first take that up with the promoter at the first available opportunity and allow them the chance to sort it out before mentioning it on a public forum and stating I would never return to their venue again. I won't bother answering anything else on this matter, ive made my point, no skin off my nose if anyone else doesn't agree with me :ohmy:

I agree with you :lol:

only on this one occasion tho' :ohmy:

Shane

Social source share

I agree with you :ohmy:

only on this one occasion tho' :lol:

Shane

Where do you draw the line though? As I said in the other thread does that mean we can't say a record is crap because the singer isn't on here to defend themselves. We couldn't have the "p*ssheads at venues" thread because the 'non-soulies' aren't on here. We couldn't moan about our jobs because our bosses don't come on here (at least we hope they don't :ohmy: ). We couldn't have political discussions because the politicians aren't on here. OK, getting silly now :wicked: But I'm sure other events have been discussed, and negative comments made, when the promoters haven't been members.

I'm afraid if you put on a public event then you are automatically opening yourself up to public discussion. I think this forum provides a good opportunity for promoters to publicly address any concerns which are raised and to put people's minds at ease that they will deal with problems. If people are worried that a thread is damaging to certain promoters then they should let them know so they can come on and answer the questions if they want to!!

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!