1982 Neil Rushton Article From "the Face"

Andreas B

Also still got a copy of that issue somewhere. That feature had a big impact on me as a youngster who'd only recently discovered the strange world of Northern Soul! Don't think I'd even been to an allnighter then, only soul nights of various sizes around the Kent area. After reading that, and all the tales I'd already heard from mates who had the luxury of a car, and I was raring to travel 'up North' for my Northern Soul baptism (which happened to be at Hinckley to see some bloke called JJ Barnes).

Social source share

Remember getting this..after a New Romantic mate of mine said..Ere Bird...there's Some Of That Northern Stuff You like in This Copy :) he was even more impressed when i name dropped and said OOOH Look My Mate Vern From Bradford Is In It...dont think i ever bought another copy..dunno why...cos i really liked the alternative club styles and music as well..Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sept 1982 and a refernce to the clip clop popular oldies. Some things are eternal. :-)

Thanks for posting. Some good stuff on there

Social source share

Anyone remember (or have a copy of) the feature that Record Mirror did on Northern Soul in June 1983? The one which interviews Brian Rae, Julia Rushbrooke (Gary's wife), and opened with the lines "Pete's eyes are glazed, he frantically chews gum...........".

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!