Joy Tones - This Love

Can anyone help out with this? I've got 2 copies.

One is on Coed by Joy-Tones with credits to Al Stewart & Tony Middleton. The other one (which sounds identical) is on Kapp by The Love Potion with credits to J. Elliot & Harry Dupree. This one has a stamp on it saying Feb 23 1969.

Which one came first. Who did write it and is there any difference in rarity or price?? A tall order I know, but I'm sure someone has all the answers. :yes:

Edited by tsu tomatoes
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One is on Coed by Joy-Tones with credits to Al Stewart & Tony Middleton. The other one (which sounds identical) is on Kapp by The Love Potion with credits to J. Elliot & Harry Dupree. This one has a stamp on it saying Feb 23 1969.

Which one came first. Who did write it and is there any difference in rarity or price?? A tall order I know, but I'm sure someone has all the answers. :thumbsup:

Hi Tsu (are you chinese) :):)

There's also another one by the Love Potion on TCB with a different b' side to the Kapp one. I would have thought that the release order would have been TCB (local) Kapp (national) Coed (with a change of name) however I was talking to Dave Welding and he's positive the Coed issue came first. I've got all three issues and for me the Coed issues look newer than the TCB issues.

Hope this helps

Dazz

Social source share

great record, whatever label.

had a 10-box of them in the late 80s (joy tones), could hardly give them away :)

but then ady c put it on kent's classiest rarities and i got rid :) .

fascinating question, more so the accreditation than just the group name :) .

sadly, i don't know the answer (but good question :thumbsup: ).

dan

ps i love these smilies

Social source share

Which one came first. Who did write it and is there any difference in rarity or price?? A tall order I know, but I'm sure someone has all the answers. :thumbsup:

Hi Love Potion aka Joy-Tones.........Vickie Burgess...Margaret Moore....Lynn Middleton

CO-E D 600 This love/wanna party some more 5/65 as Joy tones

TCB 1601 This love/Mr.Farouk (instro) 1968

Kapp 979 This love/Moby Binks :) 1969 ATB Steve

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Hi Love Potion aka Joy-Tones.........Vickie Burgess...Margaret Moore....Lynn Middleton

CO-E D 600 This love/wanna party some more 5/65 as Joy tones

TCB 1601 This love/Mr.Farouk (instro) 1968

Kapp 979 This love/Moby Binks ohmy.gif 1969 ATB Steve

I've got a copy of this on Crash 1151 (Joy-tones)... anyone have any info on this version? Was this the first?

Social source share

I've got a copy of this on Crash 1151 (Joy-tones)... anyone have any info on this version? Was this the first?

crash is a bootleg for the jamaican market. the group was originally called the joy-tones, they were from new york and had doowop records on rama, so the joytones press is definitely before the love potion presses.

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

Which one came first. Who did write it and is there any difference in rarity or price?? A tall order I know, but I'm sure someone has all the answers. :shhh:

Does that mean you're going to sell one of them Neil? If so, bear me in mind mate. Cheers Jason

Social source share

It (Love Potions - This Love) also came out on Retreat Records. |i suspect this is a reissue label but have no defo info on this. But it is another release to add.

Dave Halsall

probably another boot also. this is a record that was 'discovered' by different us collectors markets after the time of release and "reproed" on different local labels. for example, it's a steppers cut in chicago.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!