Guest Kolla

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Not strictly soul but I certainly used to absolutely love Helen Shapiro but hey lets just keep that between me and you no need to let the rest of the list know. The other untouchables for me were John Drevars Expression and Kiki Dee but don't tell anyone that either !

Social source share

dunno about soul in some of these

sally sagoe - famous for only person doing a northern connected record and also to appear on eastenders?

what was background on that 45 - featured a van mcoy song on one side -tailormade?

jackie lee - rupert the bear and white horses singer who did beat ballard thing on columbia under the name of argggh names gone now, its the b-side ,do have it to flog on german pic but name, titles blank

lulu - has done some decent stuff, more later on, have a 60s version of show me on a lp that starts off with a 1min 30 sec swirling wigan 70s instrumental style string intro great untill her voice kicks in, nought wrong with her voice apart from being so regonisable that the fact it was lulu wiped everything else out same as some uk male singers

think most of all other big 60s uk female singers would have a northern connected 45, seems fairly likely and bet harder to name major ones who hasn't

cilla black ? obvious cover one, any others

wasnt there a recent cover up of a few years ago covered up as by cilla black

getting hard with non-connections

even think anita harris has a northern connected one

think mary hopkins may be one who hasnt any soul connected 45s??

even peters and lee have one recently mentioned

thinkin aloud here, if so many uk 60s female singers did so many soul connected ones, than could have been same in france and germany

any know of any?

and throws up a right odd question

and one Janine would enjoy was there any decent soul covers in welsh!

There was a story mucker told me , about a radio media connected south welsh guy recording a version of "how can I forget" ,

but the words were changed to tell about his wigan memories and sung in welsh

must be fairly recent

now could have fun with playing that espically if intro is similar :)

on languages used to be a couple of modern with jap vocals misha? think on eof them

that still worked well

Social source share

Never really considered Cilla as a 'soul' singer - but Roger Stewart now owns just about every single she released [thanks to Janine :) ) ]

Had no idea it was Maggie Bell on Frankie & Johnny - learn something new every day.

What about Kathy Kirby - she had a massive voice.

Social source share

The female British singer who did The Wedding, Julie something, just can't think of her name at the moment, did a version of Heartache Hurry On By, the Roy Hamilton song. In fact I heard her version first on Sounds of the 60s on Radio 2, and liked it, then found RH had done it first.

Also Janie Marden or Marsden, did This Empty Place, backed with Close To You. Paul McKay played Empty Place at Boogaloo a couple of weeks ago.

Social source share

The female British singer who did The Wedding, Julie something, just can't think of her name at the moment

Julie Rogers :) - cockney princess

10023mce.jpg

What about The Orchids from Coventry ... They were dubbed Blue Orchids in US - cause of Orchids on Roulette and after trying to laucnh i the States finally changed tehir name to The Exceptions. They did a fantastic ballad called "Soldier Boy" which is on the flip of their last single "What more do you want"

- worth tracking down if you haven't heard it.

Social source share

of those not mentioned in the Telegraph article i tnhink you can add Mari Wilson and Corinne Drewery - the latter did a more than decent version of 'I am the same girl'.

cheers Scotty

Social source share

Had no idea it was Maggie Bell on Frankie & Johnny - learn something new every day.   

I was always under the impression it was Maggie Bell and Frankie Miller, if true a good Scottish soul song (however was told in the early 80's when rumours about singers real identities were not so reliable as todays internet world).

Anyone confirm?

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Scotty - Swing Out Sister always said they drew on NS influences but I could never see it some how - That said Corinne does have a soul voice and I do believe she has come down to 6Ts on a couple of occassions.

Wendy -

Not same as Shirelles. Soldier Boy was penned by the Exceptions themselves. Will try and track down an RA for you

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!