Ive Been Hurt-ray Whitley

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

does anyone know if the ray whitley who recorded ive been hurt and wrote records for the tams is the same ray whitley who is in the country music hall of fame and appeared in giant with james dean, if so when he recorded ive been hurt he would have been in his 60,s, any info anybody.

Ray Whitley did 5 45s for Vee Jay between 1961-64 The last data I have on his releases was a 45 on the 123 label, which the Tams also recorded on. The Vee Jay ones were not soul so he could be the same guy, guess he was old as his recording career seemed the have ended before the 70s. Strangely he apparently did a version of "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me" on Attarak 103 but I've never heard or seen it..as anyone? His connection with the Tams was strong but I had know idea of his Hall Of Fame C/W entry. Was this for composing? Because his recording career doesn't suggest such an accolade.. my guess, and it is a guess, is that this talented guy diversed between genres..and is the same guy. The chances of two Ray's with that surname in music is pretty remote..Vague but I hope that helps.

Social source share

does anyone know if the ray whitley who recorded ive been hurt and wrote records for the tams is the same ray whitley who is in the country music hall of fame and appeared in giant with james dean, if so when he recorded ive been hurt he would have been in his 60,s, any info anybody.

It's a different Ray Whitley.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

It's a different Ray Whitley.

Paul Mooney

Paul, Is that for sure? Vocal on Dunhill sounds the same guy as Vee Jay.. just can't get my head round why he would be in a Hall Of Fame with only 11 45s release and no LPs to my knowledge?
Social source share

Paul, Is that for sure? Vocal on Dunhill sounds the same guy as Vee Jay.. just can't get my head round why he would be in a Hall Of Fame with only 11 45s release and no LPs to my knowledge?

maybe in hall of fame for his writing if he has not recorded many songs. just a thought.

mark

Social source share

not sure if my original thread has lead everyone astray but ray may not as i originally said be in the country music hall of fame, however ive just read his original guitar definately is (hope this makes sense)

Social source share

not sure if my original thread has lead everyone astray but ray may not as i originally said be in the country music hall of fame, however ive just read his original guitar definately is (hope this makes sense)

hi

checked on the internet and ray whitley is in country music hall of fame but will definately be a different one as this one recorded in 50's and was famous for cowboy films as well.

mark

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 6 2006, 11:30 PM) link

hi

checked on the internet and ray whitley is in country music hall of fame but will definately be a different one as this one recorded in 50's and was famous for cowboy films as well.

mark

the cowboy ray whitley recorded well before the 50,s and was still around into the early 80,s, if it was him who recorded ive been hurt he would have been in his early 60,s "its a possibility" :thumbsup:

Social source share

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 6 2006, 11:30 PM) link

hi

mark

the cowboy ray whitley recorded well before the 50,s and was still around into the early 80,s, if it was him who recorded ive been hurt he would have been in his early 60,s "its a possibility" :thumbsup:

The Tams' Ray Whitley was a protege of the guy that owned Atlanta Studios (can't remember his name) as was Joe South. This would be around 1960/61 when South was about 20 so I guess Ray Whitley would be about the same age if they were contemporaries.

Don't think it's this chap:

post-1918-1139349682_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!