Ronnie Miller - Jar-vel / Polydor

Guest Adrian

Monday mornings eh!

Looking for abit of info on Ronnie Miller.

I have Listen to the Music / I Owe You Love on Jar-Vel, which I think is the 1st local issue. Lovely 2 sider.

I have seen a Polydor release, on the label it was making reference to James Brown, so does anyone know is it a different recording from the Jar-Vel release?

Is the mention of JB just a plug from Polydor or did Ronnie Miller have a connection to JB I don't know about.

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Haven't listened enough to the B-side (apparently) but "Listen To The Music" is real nice. I have it on black/silver Jar-Val and I do believe that is the first issue. I wouldn't mind a scan of the Ploydor issue if possible. Don't know of any connection to JB though.

Edited by Kristoffer Ahl
Social source share

yep, thats the one, Black/Silver, looks real nice on the turntable.

Flip it over, its a nice track, bit more mellow the Listen to the Music but upto the quality.

From what I can gather, JB producted I Owe you Love on the polydor release.

There seems to be promos of I Owe You Love both sides and the issue has Listen to th Music.

Still don't know if JB had any input the the Jar-Vel, does'nt sound like it too me?

Social source share

Perhaps a similar story to another case of a Georgia soul 45 getting a JB production credit on national release. Jimmy Braswell's "I Can't Give You My Heart" makes no mention of JB on the rare local issue (Gene), but the King release of the track states: "A James Brown Production." Braswell also recorded at least one record on Jar-Val. Might be a connection here somewhere.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Perhaps a similar story to another case of a Georgia soul 45 getting a JB production credit on national release. Jimmy Braswell's "I Can't Give You My Heart" makes no mention of JB on the rare local issue (Gene), but the King release of the track states: "A James Brown Production." Braswell also recorded at least one record on Jar-Val. Might be a connection here somewhere.

That seems to make sense does'nt it. Looks like JB picked it up and saw an opportunity for some extra dollars. I don't think fair dealings were to important to him from bits and pieces I've seen.

Thanks for the help. :hypo:

Social source share

That seems to make sense does'nt it. Looks like JB picked it up and saw an opportunity for some extra dollars. I don't think fair dealings were to important to him from bits and pieces I've seen.

Thanks for the help. :hypo:

I agree with the others on here - JB probably used them at some point, got them a recording deal, and as a consequence got his name on the records. If you go to Savannah you'll be hard pushed to find a musician who hasn't worked for JB at some time. Ha ha and most of em will tell you they never got paid either :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert