Northern Soul Demographics

Soulsmith

A friend of mine as part of his degree course is due to submit a paper on the demographics of northern soul. After extensive research on the scene, his findings are nearing completion. Some parts of the paper make quite interesting reading.

For example during a study on the social interaction and sociability of soulies as classified by gender, some interesting differences are noted ie

Males:

12% Barking mad 70% Reasonable levels of sociability 18% Dull as dish water

Females

19% Barking mad 75% Reasonable levels of sociability 6% Dull as dish water

I wonder what your thoughts on this are?

Col.

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A friend of mine as part of his degree course is due to submit a paper on the demographics of northern soul. After extensive research on the scene, his findings are nearing completion. Some parts of the paper make quite interesting reading.

For example during a study on the social interaction and sociability of soulies as classified by gender, some interesting differences are noted ie

Males:

Females

Col.

YOUR EXTREMELY BARKING MAD but I must be worse...as for the "friend" his paper will fail......Never Mind oh the never mind ...part ..........was nothing to do with intellect and if you do not believe me ask Modernsoulspits> So thereATB Steve Edited by steve z
Social source share

A friend of mine as part of his degree course is due to submit a paper on the demographics of northern soul.

Col.

Surely the demo graphics depend what the label is, but usually they are the same as the issue but with a white label and black text :unsure:

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Surely the demo graphics depend what the label is, but usually they are the same as the issue but with a white label and black text :unsure:
Hi Dave ,could be a great topic BUT I would have been hauled into the netherland of non -posting by now yes.gifsmile.gif:lol: ATB Stevie............perhaps this is undercover training to become a fully qualified..............No 3!!! I am a 6ts child.
Social source share

Males:

Females

Col.

Should be moved Col.So last post from me..........how old ,in your mind were you when you thought of this post?ATVB Stevie
Social source share

Males:

Females

as a very highly qualified acedemic with a recognised qualification in research and demographics you need to address the question concerning "barking mad". you need to determine if the subjects of your study were "barking Mad" in the first place and therefore attracted to northern soul, or northern soul sent them "barking mad". must go now medication time

Social source share

Males:

Females

Col.

================

Col,

maybe we need to know what questions were posed? For instance the barking mad stat......is that because we go out all night and dance at an advanced age, or because someone feels that a giraffe should write Britains new nations anthem? And was he treated with suspicion, which could account for the sociability levels? The dull as dishwater thing, is that other soulies views on soulies, what made them dull. Does he mean dull as in boring, or dull as in stupid? Difficult to comment without a bit more info IMO.

Winnie;-)

PS. After his findings has he become a regular on the scene? :thumbsup:

PPS. Why did you close that other thread, I never got a chance to say the Mail, is the single most biased paper I've ever had the misfortune to scan, and now perhaps I never will :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for your observations Mr Codfromderby. I have taken on board your comments and will pass them on in due course.

You may be interested to know that he also intends to present a graphical nationwide map, with hot spots.

That way fellow soulies will be able to avoid areas with certain disproportionate levels of either say people that are dull as dishwater barking mad.

Social source share

I find dishwater quite interesting.

There's always a baked bean left in the sink which is quite interesting when you think about it.

Tarquin Fin-tim-lim-bim-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Ol¨-Biscuitbarrel

Social source share

Hi COL ,hope you pass but I do have concerns on your written theseeeeeeeeeeeeees!Or is that Faeceas :thumbsup: Try harder next time as I am sure you will not be allowed to submit in this section.ATB Steve

============

Am I missing something here, the section is entitled all about soul. Surely a thesis on the northern scene, and the type of people who frequent it meets the criteria? Remember this thesis is based on questions asked and answered by soulies, so it may be of use to see how we view ourselves IMO.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

============

Am I missing something here, the section is entitled all about soul. Surely a thesis on the northern scene, and the type of people who frequent it meets the criteria? Remember this thesis is based on questions asked and answered by soulies, so it may be of use to see how we view ourselves IMO.

Winnie:-)

Well said. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!