steve z

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Very rarely sell me own stuff Stevie.

Scour around for second copies or stuff I'm not bothered about keeping to sell on to fund me habit.

You could sell your arse but I suspect you would only raise enough for a battered Goldmine 7" blush.gif:D

=======

i sell sometimes to buy,.,especially as things are so dear these days...

trouble is it gets silly as i like many i suppose,,buy and buy and they just sit there in a cupboard,,

im more careful now when i buy and only get what i want..

Social source share

i never sell stuff unless i have two, or only bought to sell in the first place or get made a really amazing offer and think i can get it back, steve

otherwise, just beg, borrow or steal

don't think i've ever regretted selling a record but probably just can't remember blush.gif

am currently begging, borrowing and stealing ahead of rooting through your sales box on saturday :D

Social source share

Hi Ste,

You say, "there are collectors who never sell. Please let me know how you continue to collect".

But that's what 'collectors' do, they collect stuff. If they sold stuff, they'd be sellers. As opposed to DJs who 'turn over stuff'.

When's next Greatstones on?

Social source share

Guest andycambs

I'm a shitty Dj / Collector and soemtimes you have to sell to buy tunes that you think should be played or you're being asked for to often.
If I was a "shitty Dj" I'd only be playing tunes I like and, ultimately stuff that I would like to hear as a punter, not tunes that I think "should" be played :thumbsup: but that's just my opinion.

Andy

Social source share

Hi Ste,

You say, "there are collectors who never sell. Please let me know how you continue to collect".

But that's what 'collectors' do, they collect stuff. If they sold stuff, they'd be sellers. As opposed to DJs who 'turn over stuff'.

When's next Greatstones on?

Sat 18 Feb. See you there :thumbsup:

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

I used to collect and swore id never sell but pressures of own business, kids coming along etc changed all that

but also my tastes have changed over the years and i now want stuff i like to sit back and listen to in the comfort of my own nudity rather than collect anything and everything which is what ive sone since i was 14

Geeoooordie

Social source share

If I was a "shitty Dj" I'd only be playing tunes I like and, ultimately stuff that I would like to hear as a punter, not tunes that I think "should" be played :yes: but that's just my opinion.

Andy

Things that you like and should be played is exactly the same as things that should be played such as...

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Intros_...ook,_Listen.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Moments...g_Your_Love.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Uptights_-_Shy_Guy.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Jackie_Beav..._You_(Pt_1).ram

Social source share

I have to do this to continue my incessant need for NEW to Me tunes that are NOT available other than on VINYL............BUT there are collectors who never sell.Please let me know how you continue to collect.

Hi Steve,

I just have a small amount of 45s now, and constantly have to sell to buy. Try to keep my spot quality, but quality costs big time these days. In fact I've just pulled a load out to sell, got my eye on 3 big ticket items that I just have to have. Also my credit cards have taken a right battering. Haven't a clue how I'm going to pay them off, ever. And I'm not joking :yes::yes: Phil.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

trouble is it gets silly as i like many i suppose,,buy and buy and they just sit there in a cupboard,,

I know someone who will appreciate them.. :yes:

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I just have a small amount of 45s now, and constantly have to sell to buy. Try to keep my spot quality, but quality costs big time these days. In fact I've just pulled a load out to sell, got my eye on 3 big ticket items that I just have to have. Also my credit cards have taken a right battering. Haven't a clue how I'm going to pay them off, ever. And I'm not joking :yes::yes: Phil.

LOL!

That's not collecting then is it? That's a "spot". I could never get mi 'ed round this sort of collecting. Still can't. A collector "collects". A DJ "turns over" records. :yes:

Me.....I buy records. Don't really do much else wiv' em. Buy em, play em, stick 'em in a box marked "whatever" and move on to the next one! Sad innit!! :yes:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest andycambs

I can see where you're coming from now Paul, nice toons :yes:

Andy

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Phil, are you suggesting that all the good quality records cost big money???? bit of a sweeping statement, yes it's true that many of the so called big records have a price tag to match but there are also hundreds of lesser priced that are as good but perhaps not in the hands and collections of the so called right people or DJ's.

Interesting point this but how does the scene judge a good record? who's playing it is often the starting block, how many copies are there? etc. Does it make you a better DJ if you play the big ticket items and i don't mean you personally Phil i mean in general? I'm not having a go or a pop i just find this topic interesting.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Jackie Beavers is awesome & I want one......so any one oblige pse.

Russ

Social source share

Interesting point this but how does the scene judge a good record? who's playing it is often the starting block, how many copies are there? etc. Does it make you a better DJ if you play the big ticket items and i don't mean you personally Phil i mean in general? I'm not having a go or a pop i just find this topic interesting.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I have been collecting since 14, just finished doing a CD for an old pal, some rare stuff, guitar ray etc, along side some quality "cheap" stuff, Bad Boys, Flair & Flatfoots etc, any of which i have played out, in the dim and distant past when i got the odd "collectors" spot. I have only ever traded records, and even though i got more items in return for some current big value choon's i still regret every one i've ever let go.

I scour ebay and other lists for stuff at the right price and quality for instance nabbed Ruby Winters - In the middle of a heartache for £10, that went straight onto the CD, I'm happy to sustain my habit in this way, but would i pay big money for sounds that i really wanted.......if i won the lottery too bloody right :yes:

Social source share

Phil, are you suggesting that all the good quality records cost big money???? bit of a sweeping statement, yes it's true that many of the so called big records have a price tag to match but there are also hundreds of lesser priced that are as good but perhaps not in the hands and collections of the so called right people or DJ's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Are you suggesting that it is possible to collect Northern 45s on a shoestring. I offered you a whole skipping rope for Jimmy Burns and you just laughed.

ROD

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Could be worthy of a whole new thread this one Mark :yes:

Social source share

=======

i sell sometimes to buy,.,especially as things are so dear these days...

im more careful now when i buy and only get what i want..

Very good point!!! I have remarked this too. I am hunting a 45, finally I find it, listen to it once, "Hey this is really great", and the hunt for the next one begins.

In particular with eBay one is constantly able to buy records. For that reason, I take sometimes kind of "Record Buying Brake". To listen to my stuff, spend money on other things, etc.

Currently I would never sell anything. By the way, I am more on the cheapies side, so I still can afford the stuff I am looking for :-)

Best regards

YouYou

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Jackie Beavers is awesome & I want one......so any one oblige pse.

Russ

Came out on Dade in US and a Jay Boy (102) release in 1976 over here. Just checked eBay for you, but nothing on there at the moment. Shouldn't be too difficult to locate @ £20ish. Great record once you're past the intro.

HTH

Brian ohmy.gif

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Agree whole heartedly with this. To be honest don't you find that an awful lot of big ticket items(not all though) ARE really for collectors only ! and are not really great dance records (or is it sour grapes because i am not rich ??)

Also you really can have some fun collecting without breaking the bank !. Such was the swift turnover of sounds in the golden era, there were an amazing amount of good records bypassed or under played & it can be great fun & not too much risk eaking them out. I find too, i can get more pleasure finding a good cheapie that i haven't personally heard, or a good B side, than if i spent a fortune on a big tune that i knew. That bargain mentality i suppose.

Funnily enough, i am sat here with a pack of cheapies that arrived this morning, the items are :-

Lonely Girl / Joey - The Young Folk ( what a great 2 sider) , Lord If Your a Woman / Darlene Love (really underated) , Suddenly / Solomon Burke ( great soulful R&B tune) , Messing With the Kid / Junior Wells (another good R&B tune) , High Wide & Handsome/ True Love / Frank Polk , Only One Such as You / Jackie Trent (Kapp radio station copy) (another great underated oldie) , New Babe /Invictus , Really Really Love You / Cecil Parker (lovely 80s tune that reminds me of "What's it Gonna' Take To Win Your Love") , The Penguin / Alvin Cash (like most of his tunes, really underated mod sound) , A nice DJ copy with picture sleeve of Marlena Shaw / Looking Through The Eyes Of Love, & a boot copy of Kenny Lynch / Moving Away. The princly sum for this lot ?? $103 + $13.50 shipping, roughly £68 !! for 11 45s (& that's without the B sides !

Another couple that gave me great pleasure recently, both aquired for under £15 were The Fenways /Satisfied & a great Loma 2 sider by Billy Storm - Don't Look Down / I Never Want Too Dream Again, What a pair of stormers !!!

Mind you here's an ultimate cheapie !! Has anyone ever turned over "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me" by the Tams ?? It's called "Take Away" Play it at -2 pitch, it's a great R&B tune !!

Another cost effective way to collect is to go for albums ! they don't go for anywhere near the price of singles ! & you get some great extra tracks too. I in fact bought a couple of good ones really cheap recently , one was a stero copy of Jackie Wilson / Whispers, there was 3 or 4 tracks that are as good as any of the singles material. I just could not belive i had never heard them before, I was in heaven (as Jackie Wilson said :unsure: ). & the other was Lesley Gore / All About Love, an album that has 4 or 5 good Northern tracks on, a couple that were never singles too.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Rarely sell anything from my own collection, my sales boxes are either duplicates, records bought especially to sell, leftovers from collections I've bought etc. :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!