The Five Stairsteps - Playgirls Love

Guest dkd

Recently bought the Five Stairsteps 'Playgirls Love' on Windy City for a fiver - what a fantastic track (played it the other night and it went down a storm)

Anybody know any history of the group?

Dave

Edited by dkd
Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Recently bought the Five Stairsteps 'Playgirls Love' on Windy City for a fiver - what a fantastic track (played it the other night and it went down a storm)

Dave

Yes, they were the Chicago version of the Jackson Five, but they were the Burke family. Discovered by Curtis Mayfield in 1966 and produced by him on his Windy C label and later Curtom and Buddah. A much funkier sound than the Jackson 5, as you'd expect from Curtis Mayfield and in my opinion much more soulful. Later on they were joined by their younger brother Cubie (a bit like Michael i suppose) and became The Five Stairsteps and Cubie, later i think they became The Stairsteps.

I'm a big fan and i'm collecting their stuff. If you're interested all of these sides are cracking Northern dancers and well worth getting your hands on. Most Five Stairsteps stuff can be picked up for less than £20 these days. Very underrated imo.

Ain't Gonna Rest - WC-605-A

You Don't Love Me - WC-603-B

Change of Pace - WC-608-B

The Girl I Love - WC-607-B

Stay Close to Me - Curtom - CR 1933 A

Don't Waste Your Time - WC-601-B

Good hunting.. biggrin.gif

Matt

Social source share

much more soulful

all of these sides are cracking Northern dancers and well worth getting your hands on

Very underrated

Matt

spot on, matt

a brilliant group, though better without cubie than with due to the annoying similarity with the no-nose baby dangler IMO.

stay close to me is awesome - i am desperate for the impressions version (spanish only???)

Brett - I give up? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dan you've hardly tried.............

The Burke Family "Under The Spell".on Cobblestone..taken from the family portrait LP...don't no why the used the name (other than obvious reasons) for the one 45'.......if you look in the sounds/radio section, it should be on early in my first Mark Bicknell solar radio guest spot.

Social source share

Dan you've hardly tried.............

The Burke Family "Under The Spell".on Cobblestone..taken from the family portrait LP...don't no why the used the name (other than obvious reasons) for the one 45'.......if you look in the sounds/radio section, it should be on early in my first Mark Bicknell solar radio guest spot.

i know, but i'm tired...wuldn't have got it anyway though :thumbsup:

contractual reasons with curtis? maybe couldn't use five stairsteps?

will have a listen

Social source share

Dave

Check out the album for 'I'm the one who loves you' another CM composition (also recorded by the Impressions) Brilliant

Think its still on Soul Club.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

got Playgirls love - agree good track but prefer 'Change of Pace' which i play out quite a bit - great record :-)

Agreed, strange intro but really builds and fantastic instrumental breaks. I reckon the Stairsteps are a good example of cheap records that people just don't think are worth playing out, good for you Dave :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes, they were the Chicago version of the Jackson Five, but they were the Burke family. Discovered by Curtis Mayfield in 1966 and produced by him on his Windy C label and later Curtom and Buddah. A much funkier sound than the Jackson 5, as you'd expect from Curtis Mayfield and in my opinion much more soulful. Later on they were joined by their younger brother Cubie (a bit like Michael i suppose) and became The Five Stairsteps and Cubie, later i think they became The Stairsteps.

I'm a big fan and i'm collecting their stuff. If you're interested all of these sides are cracking Northern dancers and well worth getting your hands on. Most Five Stairsteps stuff can be picked up for less than £20 these days. Very underrated imo.

Good hunting.. :thumbsup:

Matt

Mentioning Windy 6 - there were SIX records by the Stairsteps on the label and one by June Conquest which is also quite nice.

Social source share

spot on, matt

a brilliant group, though better without cubie than with due to the annoying similarity with the no-nose baby dangler IMO.

stay close to me is awesome - i am desperate for the impressions version (spanish only???)

Brett - I give up? :thumbsup:

Just bought "dont change your love" on e-bay blind and it hasnt yet arrived, no one has listed it, is it any good? I have "stay close to me" as well as "oooh child" and i love em both.

Social source share

got Playgirls love - agree good track but prefer 'Change of Pace' which i play out quite a bit - great record :-)

Good choice Dave, didn't know it till Simon Bridger put me on to it couple of years ago & then Gene R (I think) found one for me ...a fiver :thumbsup: great record & I think their best, played this a few times at SITC

Social source share

Dave

Used to have this record..........one of the first 30 records I had. Can't remenber if I sold it or just took it out of the box :thumbsup: . Will have to start searching :ohmy: .

Social source share

Good choice Dave, didn't know it till Simon Bridger put me on to it couple of years ago & then Gene R (I think) found one for me ...a fiver :thumbsup: great record & I think their best, played this a few times at SITC

matt asked me to play a five stairsteps record at a do and i hadnt heard it,,im sure it was a change of pace....for me this one is miles inferior to playgirls love,,,

only imvho

Social source share

matt asked me to play a five stairsteps record at a do and i hadnt heard it,,im sure it was a change of pace....for me this one is miles inferior to playgirls love,,,

only imvho

well your vho opinion is wrong !!! :thumbsup:

Only joking mate, Playgirls Love great record, may just be I first heard it 30 ish years ago & no matter how good, something fresh will often sound better (I think, or maybe change of pace is better... Oh we've been there :ohmy: )

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

only imvho

I've changed my mind again mate, The Girl I Love is even better that A Change of Pace, i'll have to bring to Worcester for you to play. I'll dance at least... :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Check out the album for 'I'm the one who loves you' another CM composition (also recorded by the Impressions) Brilliant

Beautiful record. If only it was a 45.

Social source share

Thanks to you all - a brilliant response from everybody.

The guy I bought it from had at least two other stairsteps records in his box and I will be rushing in there Saturday to see if they are still there.

Thanks again to everyone - this will definately being staying in my set for a while.

Dave :yes:

Social source share

THERE'S A TRACK ON BUDDAH...BDA-26 US ISSUE CAME WITH PICTURE COVER

CALLED 'A MILLION TO ONE' ...IT'S NOT BAD..CREDITED AS 'FIVE STAIRSTEPS & CUBIE featuring KENNETH...IT'S ON THE LP 'FAMILY PORTRAIT

BUT HEY !!! FLIP IT AND PLAY 'YOU MAKE ME SO MAD' IT'S SUBLIME AND DESERVES TO BE HUGE............IT'S CREDITED TO 'FIVE STAIRSTEPS & CUBIE featuring JAMES 111 (AS IN THE THIRD)

BELIEVE ME IT'S STUNNING....I'VE PLAYED IT AT THE GREATSONE A FEW TIMES AND FOXES A FEW OLD HEADS.......WORTH SEEKING OUT ...I'VE QUITE A BIT OF THEIR STUFF BUT THIS IS MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE..GIVE IT A WHIRL...I DON'T THINK YOU'LL BE DISSAPOINTED

CHRIS MORGAN :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

dont know the history but just buy any of their albums, cheap great and all filled with killer toons

Dave

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

Just bought "dont change your love" on e-bay blind and it hasnt yet arrived, no one has listed it, is it any good? I have "stay close to me" as well as "oooh child" and i love em both.

excellent track. produced by curtis and its much in the vein of Mighty Mighty. more on the funky side. 'don't change your love' has been sampled extensively. the open drum intro is a mega classic hip hop break.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

Throughout the years I have seen numerous copies of this, and I suppose, because it is so cheap I now have 3 different label variations = Different Pressing Plants?

I have always like this record, My Question is

This is a fantastic track and cheap too, but has anyone ever seen a DEMO?

If so would this command a much higher price.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

...and also recorded by Jerry Butler, flip side of 'You Can Run...' on Veejay/UK Stateside

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!