Stoke/sheffield Threads Charity Alldayer

Guest rachel

Charity Rare Soul All-dayer @ the White Hart Hotel, Sleaford, Lincs Sat 18th Feb

2pm - 1am, £3 on the door, proceeds to the Gambian School Aid Project.

Licensed bar throughout, raffle and quiz.

DJs Davie Hudson, Rachel Shirley, Mark Etheridge, Steve Mannion, Joe Dutton, Brett Franklin, Dave Woolley, Gary Briggs, Baz Bond, Becky Cousins, Mike Hughes, Gavin Page, Backdoor Kenny, Mandy Wakelam.

Quality rare soul music from the 60s onwards - oldies, newies, R&B, funk, crossover, etc!

Accommodation available at

https://www.smoothhound.co.uk/sleaford.html

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/h...id/177/Sleaford

Marquis Of Granby, Northgate, Sleaford, Lincolnshire.

The Victoria, Southgate, Sleaford, Lincolnshire

Edited by rachel
  • Replies 229
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I know a few are heading up to the Liecester all-nighter after this, for those with energy left or not comatoesed from drinking too much.............i know i will :yes:

Edited by Baz

I'll be drinking still water out of a tall glass.......and bringing some records in sacks.......

Can i tell my ealier bathtime story again, afterall it is a new thread......

I may play some records like the ones i mention later on in this short story.........

I remember some year's back, working on a painting job at the offices of Sheffield's Botanical gardens. Accompanying me on the job was a young fellow who was crouched to my left, I had noticed on a shelf that there was huge 100 watt steel "Bull Horn" with a thousand yard range. This was used by the head park keeper to signify the closing of the Gardens. Slowly I lifted the "Bull Horn" and carefully placed the large funnel close to my oblivious friends ear canal, tentatively I pressed the fireapple red button ......SWEET CREEPING JESUS....

The "Steel Beast" emitted a roar like a Chinese Blast Bomb, immediately my legs became shaky, nausea overcame me and I saw the World as a black & white negative. My workmate had passed out instantly, he was revived an hour later by an elderly nurse with a foul mixture of Camphor, White Horse Oil and fishing weights. I never saw this young man again, but I heard he became a chronic bed-wetter and upon visiting the Doctors had received a synopsis stating that he had the body of a man 74 years his senior and that if he should fall against anything solid, he was sure to shatter like cheap glass.

Sometimes you just feel like sharing things, so onto a few records from my collection I'd like to share with you. The Admirations "Don't Leave Me" (Onderful) This is another of those wonderful and lilting infectious numbers from Chicago, incredibly you should be able to purchase this slab of compulsive Soul for under £20, when you think of the ultra rare acetates that fetch four figures, then I'm, sure you'll agree that this 45' is a steal.... The track is a beautiful amalgamation of male lead and harmony vocals accompanied by an incredible brass and percussion trade off, it has that wonderful chug chug beat that always seems to enrapture the dance floors of the rare soul scene. Tony Drake "Suddenly" (Brunswick)

I heard this 45' some years back, but it wasn't until I accompanied my partner in crime Jamien Hartford on a foul and savage road trip that I was once again aquatinted with this unbridled piece of dance floor hell.

I bidded on E-bay for this vinyl masterpiece and upon winning it I received an e-mail that simply stated "Thanks For Keeping The Music Alive"..signed Tony Drake It is without doubt one of the greatest up-tempo dance records ever to fall out of the legendary Brunswick recording studios, a 1970 release that has an unbelievable brass led spinning break approximately 2/3rds in....awesome.

Charlie Hodges "Loving You Is Beautiful" (Calla) A crossover gem that has continued to give me listening pleasure for years, Hodges trades with the angelic and fantastic soprano backing singers, bounding straight out of New York this Calla release is one of many by Charlie Hodges, the 45' mentioned also has an excellent up-tempo b-side "The Day He Made You" take your choice but I for one always was a sucker for wailing female sopranos....The Ocapello's "Anytime" (Checker demo) Superb rhythm'n' soul from the world famous stable of the Polish brothers called Chess, the wonderful backing singers who swing in and out with our heroic lead simply marry with the outstanding brass, percussion, string and just about every other instrument you care to mention in this raw crazed, ball kicking killer from the windy city.

Lastly The Velvelettes "There He Goes" (I.P.G.) Carol Gill on lead vocals from a Motown subsidiary, the hideously obscure I.P.G. label, a truly wonderful record, although the credits as writer do not mention Norma Barbee it is indeed this lady who wrote this seminal early 60's swinger, reminiscent of early Supremes and Miracles songs from this period it is a great 45' that yet again requires exposure at the more esoteric venues.

Brett Franklin

Mandy, what do we have as raffle prizes so far?

Im throwing in A few records................

Major Lance - Little young lover - Curtom demo

Al Wilson - Show and tell - Rocky road

Al 'TNT' Braggs - Home in that rock - Peacock

Jimmy Delphs - almost - Karen

A couple of CD's that im doing and a few silly things too :yes:

Mandy, what do we have as raffle prizes so far?

There's a nice bottle of the scotch stuff courtesy of Gary, some vinyl from Baz and I, I think Becky said she was going to throw in some "silly" stuff. Gav is going to try and get hold of some t-shirts. And of course, who the charity is all about ... Pete & Jules (Lagerlout) is contributing a khafthan from their last visit to the Gambia .. which is so very generous of them. Any contributions from ANYONE will be greatly appreciated ... the more prizes the more tickets sold ... more cash for Pete & Jules. There will also be a prize for the quiz .... either a drink voucher for the day or if it's just a small team ... entrance to whichever venue they would like to visit .... how's that then :yes:

Sometimes you just feel like sharing things, so onto a few records from my collection I'd like to share with you. The Admirations "Don't Leave Me" (Onderful) This is another of those wonderful and lilting infectious numbers from Chicago, incredibly you should be able to purchase this slab of compulsive Soul for under £20, when you think of the ultra rare acetates that fetch four figures, then I'm, sure you'll agree that this 45' is a steal.... The track is a beautiful amalgamation of male lead and harmony vocals accompanied by an incredible brass and percussion trade off, it has that wonderful chug chug beat that always seems to enrapture the dance floors of the rare soul scene.

Bang on Brett :yes:

There's a nice bottle of the scotch stuff courtesy of Gary, some vinyl from Baz and I, I think Becky said she was going to throw in some "silly" stuff. Gav is going to try and get hold of some t-shirts. And of course, who the charity is all about ... Pete & Jules (Lagerlout) is contributing a khafthan from their last visit to the Gambia .. which is so very generous of them. Any contributions from ANYONE will be greatly appreciated ... the more prizes the more tickets sold ... more cash for Pete & Jules. There will also be a prize for the quiz .... either a drink voucher for the day or if it's just a small team ... entrance to whichever venue they would like to visit .... how's that then :yes:

:yes: Lets not forget this is not just a day to listen to some of the best soul music in the world and get absolutely p**sed every single smidgen of wonga recived will be going to the brilliant work Pete (lagerlout) & Jules do for the kids in the Gambia :yes:

:yes: Lets not forget this is not just a day to listen to some of the best soul music in the world and get absolutely p**sed every single smidgen of wonga recived will be going to the brilliant work Pete (lagerlout) & Jules do for the kids in the Gambia :yes:

A very, very worthy cause that deserve's everyone's support.

The "Steel Beast" emitted a roar like a Chinese Blast Bomb, immediately my legs became shaky, nausea overcame me and I saw the World as a black & white negative. My workmate had passed out instantly, he was revived an hour later by an elderly nurse with a foul mixture of Camphor, White Horse Oil and fishing weights. I never saw this young man again, but I heard he became a chronic bed-wetter and upon visiting the Doctors had received a synopsis stating that he had the body of a man 74 years his senior and that if he should fall against anything solid, he was sure to shatter like cheap glass.

Sometimes you just feel like sharing things...

Thanks for that Brett,It reminds me of the time I was doing some decorating, so I got out my step-ladder...I don't get on with my real ladder.... :yes:

i'll do a set of basics cd's , record centres etc

Im going to be after them centers :yes: Got some allready but i think yours are the tapered ones right Davie? mine are just flat :yes:

We now also have a pair of tickets for the Heavenly Blocked alldayer, big thanks to Nige Shaw :yes:

And I'm going to contribute something Scottish :yes::yes:

Charity Rare Soul All-dayer @ the White Hart Hotel, Sleaford, Lincs Sat 18th Feb

2pm - 1am, £3 on the door, proceeds to the Gambian School Aid Project.

Licensed bar throughout, raffle and quiz.

DJs Davie Hudson, Rachel Shirley, Mark Etheridge, Steve Mannion, Joe Dutton, Brett Franklin, Dave Woolley, Gary Briggs, Baz Bond, Becky Cousins, Mike Hughes, Gavin Page, Backdoor Kenny, Mandy Wakelam.

Quality rare soul music from the 60s onwards - oldies, newies, R&B, funk, crossover, etc!

Accommodation available at

https://www.smoothhound.co.uk/sleaford.html

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/h...id/177/Sleaford

Marquis Of Granby, Northgate, Sleaford, Lincolnshire.

The Victoria, Southgate, Sleaford, Lincolnshire

Hmmmmmmmmmmm this event looks very interesting.......... :yes:

We now also have a pair of tickets for the Heavenly Blocked alldayer, big thanks to Nige Shaw :yes:

And I'm going to contribute something Scottish :yes::D

:yes: Your not making Davie wear a kilt are you :yes:

Sometimes you just feel like sharing things, so onto a few records from my collection I'd like to share with you. The Admirations "Don't Leave Me" (Onderful) This is another of those wonderful and lilting infectious numbers from Chicago, incredibly you should be able to purchase this slab of compulsive Soul for under £20, when you think of the ultra rare acetates that fetch four figures, then I'm, sure you'll agree that this 45' is a steal.... The track is a beautiful amalgamation of male lead and harmony vocals accompanied by an incredible brass and percussion trade off, it has that wonderful chug chug beat that always seems to enrapture the dance floors of the rare soul scene.

Brett Franklin

)

Good shout Brett.... the label name says it all about this one :ohmy: ....

Have been known to spin this at Ponds Forge.... and also their other "cheapie" Wait Til I Get To Know You....

Now just over a week now to this mouth watering little get together blush.gif ....

We now also have a pair of tickets for the Heavenly Blocked alldayer, big thanks to Nige Shaw :ohmy:

And I'm going to contribute something Scottish :lol::P

No probs just wish i could be there to support you but got 2 other venues on that nite hope all goes well for you all look forward to seein lucky winner on 6th May :ohmy::P

HB ph34r.gif

:ohmy: Lets not forget this is not just a day to listen to some of the best soul music in the world and get absolutely p**sed every single smidgen of wonga recived will be going to the brilliant work Pete (lagerlout) & Jules do for the kids in the Gambia ph34r.gif

Got loads of footy shirts,do you think lager might be able to use em`,about 20to30 of em`,i`ll donate a brand new Kent(quality)CD............and try to get a couple of tikcets for the 100club,that nice mr Croasdell if your reading............. :ohmy:

Blue Skies SC donate two guest tickets to our next bash in May and a guest DJ spot at our July 21st event.

Free anyway isnt it?.............better look in my diary,21st ummmmhhhhherrrrrrr blush.gif

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to Nige and Martin .... very generous of you both!! Cracking prizes ... sorry you can't make it but we'll be thinking of you .... thanks again!! Also everyone else who is contributing stuff ... from the bottom of my heart (and Pete & Jules no doubt) thank you all.

Ken, the shirts would be very much appreciated blush.gif

Guest dundeedavie

Cant do us a couple could you Davie lad?,maybe buy two get one free.............. laugh.gif

it'll all depend if i get time ken , loads of real work to do at the mo

But u must play this :D

:D its them subliminal messages again :D

Loads of prized being added to the raffle daily :(

Four tickets to Hevenly blocked alldayer as first prize in the quiz (thanks nige :( )

Just looking at the line up of dj's, looks like it will be a diverse and eclectic selection of rare soul on show. Looking forward to just chillin' and having a few beers amid all the nailed on craziness and mirth. How big is the venue anyway, are we expecting a few hundred ?. Just got to add that i actually haven't told anyone back home that i'm going to this yet :thumbsup: ...so i'll expect the usual.. biggrin.gif .when i inform the parties at 12 noon Saturday...........

The life we lead ...eh

Just looking at the line up of dj's, looks like it will be a diverse and eclectic selection of rare soul on show. Looking forward to just chillin' and having a few beers amid all the nailed on craziness and mirth. How big is the venue anyway, are we expecting a few hundred ?. Just got to add that i actually haven't told anyone back home that i'm going to this yet biggrin.gif ...so i'll expect the usual.. :huh: .when i inform the parties at 12 noon Saturday...........

The life we lead ...eh

150 i think it holds, spoke to a few last night who are coming along, Gary informs theres quite a bit of local intrest too :thumbsup:

Shute has donated a Barry white LP acetate on behalf of the 3B's soul club for the raffle.

Mr & Mrs Lout are bringing along there laptop to show pics of where all the wonga is going.

Guest lagerlout

Just looking at the line up of dj's, looks like it will be a diverse and eclectic selection of rare soul on show. Looking forward to just chillin' and having a few beers amid all the nailed on craziness and mirth. How big is the venue anyway, are we expecting a few hundred ?. Just got to add that i actually haven't told anyone back home that i'm going to this yet :thumbsup: ...so i'll expect the usual.. biggrin.gif .when i inform the parties at 12 noon Saturday...........

The life we lead ...eh

SHE,LL KNOW BY THE WAY YOU ARE BEEN NICE,

YOU CANNOT FOOL THE FEMALE SPECIES

Shute has donated a Barry white LP acetate on behalf of the 3B's soul club for the raffle.

Just played this to make sure it's in good nick :D .... both LPs have some great tracks ... I wouldn't mind winning this myself. Got some cracking prizes coming in now .... hopefully make some great dosh for Gambian Project :lol:

Right.

I'm sorting my PM box out this morning. Apologies to all. Especially Rachel whose joke on another thread had me laughing all day. ohmy.gif

When I asked for dj time preferences, I should have asked what time people are arriving. It makes sense for the most local people to start off, with 30 minute spots and then another 30 mins later. (All doing 2x 30 mins) Exception being Mike Hughes, who I propose being on 9 til 10.

So who will be there at the start, ? as everyone so far wants to be on later.

Get back to me today if poss. DJ rota will then be out tonight.

Hey Steve M, can you PM, phone or just tell me on here, as to what the pick up time etc is. Gotta know sooner than later, things to sort Sat etc. :thumbsup:

Think i'm right in saying this is the third "Soul Source" associated event, and i've played at the previous two. All i can say to those who may wish to attend, is that a nicer bunch of folks you couldn't wish to meet (apart from me). Everyone gets on and shares a few stories, as well as an alarming amount of alcohol (apart from me). Be good to see a few people who i haven't for a while, plus it's a charity event, so for once in my life i'm doing something honourable and decent.

Brett

Edited by Brett

Right.

When I asked for dj time preferences, I should have asked what time people are arriving. It makes sense for the most local people to start off, with 30 minute spots and then another 30 mins later. (All doing 2x 30 mins) Exception being Mike Hughes, who I propose being on 9 til 10.

Here you go Gary highlighted it for you laugh.gif Hope you've got some glasses to wear other wise your not going to see what your playing :lol:

Righto Baz, :lol: Got it now mate :huh:

Glad to be off assistance :lol:

Doing a CD for this day, will be knocking them out at £2 a pop....... 50p or what ever it costs for the CDs then the rest will go to the Gambian project unsure.gif will post a list up once completed :D