Does Phil Flowers=philip James= 1/2 Of Blue Busters?

Phil Flowers and Jmaes are both on Longwood. Pretty sure The dude that did "Keep On Loving" (just found 3 copies) is 1/2 half of the Blues Busters (the dude I just met grew up with them).

Make the LEgo fit!, K in Canada.

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Phil Flowers and Jmaes are both on Longwood. Pretty sure The dude that did "Keep On Loving" (just found 3 copies) is 1/2 half of the Blues Busters (the dude I just met grew up with them).

Make the LEgo fit!, K in Canada.

Think PF is PJ's Dad from memory. Hans and Harry from Netherlands know for sure because they interviewed Phil Flowers senior a few years back, and unfortunately my memory is swept clean in the mists of time.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Phil Flowers was born in Washington and was only in his 20s when the Blues Busters began recording, so not PJ's father. As Pete says, Blues Busters were Jamaican anyway, so unlikely to have even met each other!

Social source share

Don't get this topic. Phil Flowers has got nothing to do with Phillip James of the Blues Busters. Phillip James & Llloyd Campbell are both Jamaican.

YEah, I didn't know much about Flowers other than he recorded for Longwood as well. I'm well aware if the Blues Busters recording/Jamaican history - jus that Jamaicans often change their names on different records and since they recorded for the same label...

Was just a thought, K.

Social source share

YEah, I didn't know much about Flowers other than he recorded for Longwood as well. I'm well aware if the Blues Busters recording/Jamaican history - jus that Jamaicans often change their names on different records and since they recorded for the same label...

Was just a thought, K.

Phil Flowers was a well known soulman though I think. On Josie, Loft, Dot, on Spring with 'Flower Shoppe' and numerous others.

Social source share

I think where Steve is coming from is I seem to remember a cd coming out a few years back by a name along the lines of Phillip James (not the same as the blue buster obviously as a fairly young chap) who was reputedly the son of Phil Flowers.

Seem to remember a fairly decent cd, if Roger Williams is outside looking here he may remember more accurate details.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

I have three 45's by the Bluesbusters, on Minit, Shout and Capitol, plus I seem to recall that the Shout 45 was also released on UK Jay Boy.

Dont think these are Jamaican - are there two different bands called the Bluesbusters ?

Take care

John

Social source share

I have three 45's by the Bluesbusters, on Minit, Shout and Capitol, plus I seem to recall that the Shout 45 was also released on UK Jay Boy.

Dont think these are Jamaican - are there two different bands called the Bluesbusters ?

Take care

John

You're right in that they have US releases, but was after their career started in Jamaica (they're from Montego Bay) under the tutiledge of Byron Lee.

bluesbusters_iwontletyougo45.JPG

I Won't LEt You Go

K in Toronto.

Edited by soufriere1
Social source share

Take care

John

It's the same group - they came over to the US in 1964 with the Jamaican Artists package for the Worlds Fair, and stayed on. Also recorded for Wand.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I think where Steve is coming from is I seem to remember a cd coming out a few years back by a name along the lines of Phillip James (not the same as the blue buster obviously as a fairly young chap) who was reputedly the son of Phil Flowers.

Seem to remember a fairly decent cd, if Roger Williams is outside looking here he may remember more accurate details.

Cheers

Jock

Yeah, with you on that Jock. I have a vague memory of a conversation with Gary Cape about it . Was at Soul Essence and very drunk though !

Social source share

Cheers

Jock

You are right - I was saying that Phillip James dad = Phil Flowers as far as I can recall. Dunno where this stuff about the Blues Busters comes into it....They are totally different to the BluesBusters. More than one person with the same name - Oh no bound to confuse! ohmy.gif Especially if you don't like 70s / 80's - eh Pete?

Social source share

You are right - I was saying that Phillip James dad = Phil Flowers as far as I can recall. Dunno where this stuff about the Blues Busters comes into it....They are totally different to the BluesBusters. More than one person with the same name - Oh no bound to confuse! :sleep3: Especially if you don't like 70s / 80's - eh Pete?

Did you actually read the first post Steve, where the sender confuses him with the Blues Busters guy? ohmy.gif

Social source share

• 13 years later...
On 13/02/2006 at 08:34, Steve G said:

You are right - I was saying that Phillip James dad = Phil Flowers as far as I can recall. Dunno where this stuff about the Blues Busters comes into it....They are totally different to the BluesBusters. More than one person with the same name - Oh no bound to confuse! ohmy.gif Especially if you don't like 70s / 80's - eh Pete?

I am new to this site and found this thread and thought would add some info to help

Phil Flowers' wife was Frances (they divorced) and their son was called Richard who passed in the late 1980's

Social source share

I've seen writings in the past about Phil Flowers and that Philip James on Longwood was his son. They both recorded on the same Longwood label from Rockville Maryland.

He definately had a son called Phil.

"As the son of the well-known recording artist Phil Flowers Sr., this Washington DC native followed in his father’s footsteps and was destined for show business."

https://www.thephilflowersshow.com/

Philip Flowers Jr

1191990416_pfjnr.JPG.e117e6671f8f87eb62a2e62dfada6fe4.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohTg-oT4kD4

Edited by Alan T
Social source share

1 hour ago, Alan T said:

I've seen writings in the past about Phil Flowers and that Philip James on Longwood was his son. They both recorded on the same Longwood label from Rockville Maryland.

He definately had a son called Phil.

"As the son of the well-known recording artist Phil Flowers Sr., this Washington DC native followed in his father’s footsteps and was destined for show business."

https://www.thephilflowersshow.com/

Philip Flowers Jr

1191990416_pfjnr.JPG.e117e6671f8f87eb62a2e62dfada6fe4.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohTg-oT4kD4

My apologies The Washington Post must have been mistaken

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/2001/01/26/singer-songwriter-phil-flowers-sr-dies-at-66/1933a8fa-618f-45c0-8da1-7c1210f92da7/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!