Hip City Soul Club With Arthur Fenn & Maria Orlovic

HIP CITY SOUL CLUB

SA 11th of March

UPFRONT NORTHERN SOUL WITH VERY SPECIAL GUESTS

MARIA ORLOVIC (Stow-A-Way Soul, London) plus ARTHUR FENN ! !

Kickstarter will be Howie Paris (Hipshaking Dessau & Soul Surgery Leipzig, youngest Rare Soul DJ in Germany !)

resident DJ`s Marc Forrest and Franz Heidl

Free C-60 tape for the first 50 thru the doors

Admission 5,- .

Oscar Wilde (Backroom), Berlin Mitte, Friedrichstraí…¸e 112, U-Bahn Oranienburger Tor

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Weyhey Lars, that`s a great news :lol: Seems as we will have many travellers from all over the place this time around again :D Even Michael Wink says he is coming ´round for this one....fanfanfantastic :D

much easier to text the soul-source link than all these details!

...just sending this to the top of the page, so a mate can find it and book their hotels/flights (hi S & M smile.gif )

busy m

Was trying to book them in to the same hotel as you and Arthur, but sadly they don´t have room left for thursday till sunday...still trying to find sth appropriate and near to your hotel :D ....even Keb Darge will be in town btw :thumbsup:

Hi Micha, thats really great ! You take advantage of what already promises to become a great night at the Hip City for your first visit :ohmy: Looking forward to our first ph34r.gif on saturday :lol:

our first visit as well

We were just saying tonight how excited we always are when we go somewhere new (we've never been to Berlin before). Heard good things about this club too, so we are expecting a wild ride :D

...all aboard, last caaaall ! laugh.gif

m

The German crowd are Brilliant & Marc Forrest Top Bloke....Had the pleasure of DJing for Marc Forrest in Berlin back in 1991....You won't be Dissapointed if your Travelling over to Berlin this Weekend ....

www.raresoul.de

Have a good one Marc....& Keep @ It

Jon Buck

our first visit as well

We were just saying tonight how excited we always are when we go somewhere new (we've never been to Berlin before). Heard good things about this club too, so we are expecting a wild ride :D

...all aboard, last caaaall ! unsure.gif

m

THOUGHT ABOUT THIS...BUT SORRY CAN'T MAKE IT....HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! WE'LL BE THINKING OF YOU.....C'NC :thumbsup:

The German crowd are Brilliant & Marc Forrest Top Bloke....Had the pleasure of DJing for Marc Forrest in Berlin back in 1991....You won't be Dissapointed if your Travelling over to Berlin this Weekend ....

www.raresoul.de

Have a good one Marc....& Keep @ It

Jon Buck

Thanks for the warm words everyone whistling.gif nearly everything is set and done now, really can`t wait for saturday to come...many travellers this time around including Engalnd.Sth like a warm up for those who like will take place at the Bassy tonight where I will be one of the guest DJ`s for the first part of what is a Berlin Beat Weekender (and no, I won`t play Beat 45... )

THOUGHT ABOUT THIS...BUT SORRY CAN'T MAKE IT....HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! WE'LL BE THINKING OF YOU.....C'NC whistling.gif

What a pity, but maybe next time ? The next dates are May 13th, July 1st (16th anniversary with Butch) Spetember 9th (Alan Kitchener) and November 11th, let me know when you are comming over whistling.gif

What a pity, but maybe next time ? The next dates are May 13th, July 1st (16th anniversary with Butch) Spetember 9th (Alan Kitchener) and November 11th, let me know when you are comming over whistling.gif
WE CERTAINLY WILL MARC...WE'VE GOT A HOUSE-FULL THIS WEEKEND SO NOT GOING ANYWHERE MUCH......JULY 1ST LOOKS POSSIBLE.....GOOD LUCK .HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND !!!!!!!!!!!!! CHRIS M hypo.gif
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wanted to post this up last week, but apologies for various distractions, a weekender, then some bad luck - so lots more missing about the night :

We had an amazing 24 hours in Berlin, you couldn't plan it better. Straight from the airport, Marc met us at the hotel and took us sightseeing in the city. My love of soulful buildings had me gasping at every turn and the snow he had ordered specially, turned the city into a picturesque Christmas card - at one point it all looked so perfect that Arthur said that it was just like a scene in a movie. The city was absolutely beautiful and world history met you at every corner, made richer by Marc's in depth local knowledge. We walked through the archway of the Brandenburg gate that used to be reserved for the king and we stood where the Berlin wall once was. We saw the old and new, we stopped for food and chat, and I had my first proper long walk in powder-dry snow. Suddenly, it was a time to head back to the hotel for a rest and prep.

After a yummy Thai dinner with Marc, his co-resident dj Franz and a mate, we found ourselves at the venue. To our surprise, it was the back room of an Irish pub - fantastic for a Guinness fan like me (I thought it could not get better, until I found out I could get an espresso there too!) and no carpet to be seen.

It was great to meet up with friends from Germany and the UK and we loved the soul night so much, that we're determined to return for more. The predominantly 20s/30s dancers were obviously more keen on uptempo sounds, and this just added to the vibe  .

I'm hoping the others post up their sounds to give you the flavour of the night, but as asked by Steve Smith and chased up by Franz again today - here's the plays I dug up by phone (apologies for any incorrect spelling) and from a fiddle of my box:

ARTHUR - SET 1

Differences - Five Minutes (Monca)

Charles Mintz - Running Back (Up Look)

Stormy Winters - Life Saver (Mercury)

Tommy Ridley - My Love Is Getting Stronger (International City)

Clara Hardy - I Dream Of You (Tuna)

The Antellects - Love Slave (Flodavieur)

The Carpets - I Just Can't Win (VJ)

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal (Coconut Groove)

JJ Jackson - Can't Get Too Much Love (C/U)

Kings Of Soul - Is Your Love For Me (Down To Earth)

LaRom Baker - You're the Best Thing (The Record Company)

The Royal VII - It's An Explosion (Part 1) (Windmill)

Mixed Emotions - Gold Of My Life (Rock-Way)

Young Ladies - "I'm Tired Of Running Around" (Stang)

The Enchanters - There's A Look About You (Tee Pee)

Bobby Rich - There's A Girl Somewhere (Sambea)

The Honey Bees - Let's Get Back Together (Garrison)

Patrinell Staten - Little Love Affair (Sepia)

ARTHUR - SET 2

Cal Green - I'll Give You Just A Little More Time (Filmtown)

The Four Sights - Love Is A Hurting Game - That I Can't Win (Shy-Soul)

Flash McKinley - I'll Rescue You (Bombay)

The Camaro's - We're Not Too Young (To Fall In Love) (Dar Cha)

Yvonne Baker - I Can't Change (Junior)

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back (Fip)

Unique Blend - Yes I'm In Love (Eastbound)

Thee Midniters - You're Gonna Make Me Cry (Whittier)

The Gambrells - You Better Move (Carla)

The Sensations - Demanding Man (Way Out)

Ruby - Feminine Ingenguity (Gold Token)

John and the Wierdest - No Time (Tie)

Monique - If You Love Me (Maurci)

Jessie James - Are You Gonna Leave Me (Shirley)

The Combinations - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (Kimtone)

It made a nice change for a night out, to be kicking Arthur off stage, but I stuck to the classics so I wouldn't flop too badly :

MARIA's PLAYS

The Sound-Masters - Lonely Lonely (Juliet)

Tammy Wayne - Have A Good Time (Boom)

Marvelous Ray - Whirlpool (Abner)

Willie & The Mighty Magnificents - "Check It Baby" (All Platinum)

The Ringleaders - Baby, What Has Happened To Our Love (m-pac!)

The Hamilton Movement - She's Gone (Look-Out)

The Nicky Newarkers - Woman (Mercury)

Exportations - I Want You (Vir-ro)

Sandra Wright - "Midnight Affair" (Truth)

Alex Brown - "I'm Not Responsible" (Sundi)

Psychodelic Frankie - Putting You Out Of My Life (Hi-Speed)

Richard Caiton - I Like To Get Near You (Up Tight)

Purple Mundi - Stop Hurting Me Baby (Cat)

Out Of Sights - For The Rest Of My Life (Saru)

The Four Voices - Your Love Is Getting Stronger (Voice)

The Flirtations - Stronger Than Her Love (Festival)

The Attractions - You Don't Know Boy (June Bug)

The Inspirations - Your Wish Is My Command (Midas)

A real friendly crowd and well worth a visit. Who else can boast a 16th anniversary  ?

(oops, actually he didn't boast - in fact, it was quite the opposite!  )

Thank you again  ,

m

Source Advert