Where Were You & What Were You Doing When You Heard The News?

OK its a bit morbid but of all of the soul artists who have passed on, there are three that I most recall when & where I was when I heard the news...

Otis Reading - Leaning over the counter in the local fish & chip shop reading the news paper (thats what they used in those days to wrap your chips in!) It was a small column, front page of the B'ham Eve. Mail.I was 12 years old, but having a older sister into soul (unbelievable now) I knew who he was. Also unbelievable was that STAX was almost as big as motown at the time.

Marvin Gaye - Lying in bed, thinking about getting up for work, listening to the news on Radio One. Mike Reid was the DJ & he was trying play as many of Marvin's records as he could find. Even though I hadn't liked a Marvin Gaye record since ' Lets get it on' , I did feel pretty sad.

Jackie Wilson - This time I was at work & a colleague said that a bloke who he'd sat by at Bromsrove Rovers kept on talking about somebody by the name of Jackie Wilson who'd died? He wanted to know if I had heard of him. I told him he wasn't dead, he was just in a coma. Little did I know.

Regards, Ada

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OK its a bit morbid but of all of the soul artists who have passed on, there are three that I most recall when & where I was when I heard the news...

Jackie Wilson - This time I was at work & a colleague said that a bloke who he'd sat by at Bromsrove Rovers kept on talking about somebody by the name of Jackie Wilson who'd died? He wanted to know if I had heard of him. I told him he wasn't dead, he was just in a coma. Little did I know.

Regards, Ada

On the car radio as i was driving to work........neary crashed the car :unsure::ohmy: don't tell the hubby :yes:

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

I can remember sitting in class (French lesson) next to my friend Maxine - we were both about 12, and can't remember how we knew but we were both crying as Marvin Gaye had died. Don't think it even registered with anyone else in the room.

Cried all the way through the tribute show that Dave Evison did for Curtis Mayfield on boxing day. Taped the show for my Dad and sent it down to him, and he cried too...

Social source share

Marvin Gaye - Lying in bed, thinking about getting up for work, listening to the news on Radio One. Mike Reid was the DJ & he was trying play as many of Marvin's records as he could find. Even though I hadn't liked a Marvin Gaye record since ' Lets get it on' , I did feel pretty sad.

Went into total shock...remember not speaking to a single soul for the rest of the day :unsure:

Social source share

Otis - I was just packing away the SAM launcher.

Marvin - pulling off the dog collar and tossing the piece into the canal.

Jackie - me and Beverley Allitt were just sneaking out of the hospital main entrance.

Social source share

April 1st 1984....Being woken by the radio Alarm clock with the 8.00 news bulliten just about to hit the snooze button & roll back over to sleep - First words of the day I heard was that Marvin Gaye had been shot.

What a welcome to my 20th Birthday! :unsure::yes:

Obviously don't temeber hearing about Otis - I was only 3!

Don't really have vivid mempries of hearing about Jackie either.

I do recall vividly hearing the news about Lennon tho... I'd just walked into the canteen at work after a freezing 17mile ride over to Eastbourne from Hastings on my trusty Lammy GP150 and someone thrust a copy of the Daily Mirror in my face with the headline blazoned accross it!

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Jackie - me and Beverley Allitt were just sneaking out of the hospital main entrance.

Nice one Dan , I must admit you made me laugh! I'm surprised that Bev was your accomplice as my money was on Dr.Shipman. Do you want to confess any others?
Social source share

Nice one Dan , I must admit you made me laugh! I'm surprised that Bev was your accomplice as my money was on Dr.Shipman. Do you want to confess any others?

:thumbsup: no. though i did do a bit of plumbing at jim morrison's place.

Social source share

Weren't you in the car with Teddy P. when he had that crash Dan ?

Social source share

Went into total shock...remember not speaking to a single soul for the rest of the day ohmy.gif

Yes i can just remember going down stairs and playing marvin for next couple of hours,and being totally devastated :sleep3:Aja
Social source share

Otis - Too young. The documentaries are so sad regarding the end. His manager and his brother etc make the hairiest arsed soul fan dewy eyed.

Marvin 1984 - Working at Chantry Garage, Renault junior car salesman. Mintz & Davis suit, white towelling socks etc. Just stunned that his dad could/would do something like that.

Jackie - Remember going to Rocky's in Stansted for the Thursday soul night and Abi Newbold and some of the mod birds wearing a black armbands.

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

I always find it amusing, and pretty sad, that so called fans of Otis don't even know how to spell his surname. Does this mean that they don't actually own any of his records? Otherwise, presumably, they would know.

and of course Redding will get promotion

Social source share

I always find it amusing, and pretty sad, that so called fans of Otis don't even know how to spell his surname. Does this mean that they don't actually own any of his records? Otherwise, presumably, they would know.

perhaps they're just not great spellers, rob. or maybe it was a typo?

Edited by Dan
Social source share

I don't profess to be a Otis Redding fan I just have a vivid memory of when I saw the news. Its no excuse for not spelling his name correctly I know but its not such a big deal is it? For the rekord I have two of his LP's that havn't seen the light of day in 25 years. Never mind the 'Clickable Smilies' its a 'soul spell checker' we need.
Social source share

I don't profess to be a Otis Redding fan I just have a vivid memory of when I saw the news. Its no excuse for not spelling his name correctly I know but its not such a big deal is it? For the rekord I have two of his LP's that havn't seen the light of day in 25 years. Never mind the 'Clickable Smilies' its a 'soul spell checker' we need.

no need to explain your spelling. good thread this. ignore the miserable gets on here smile.gif

Shane

Social source share

no need to explain your spelling. good thread this. ignore the miserable gets on here laugh.gif

Shane

Thats "git`s" Shane.............. :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Thats "git`s" Shane.............. :lol:

Dear Ken

There's no apostrophe in 'gits'. But there is one in 'that's'. And there's a comma after it, too.

yours sincerely

Professor Sir John Smarmy-Smug

Burger King Professor of Modern Languages And Spelling And That,

University of Great Shiteham,

Adenuf.

Note to Prof Smarmy-Smug

Humph! You should never begin sentences with 'But' or 'And', you fool.

regards

Lt Col Sir JPR Williams-Tuftington-Smythe, MC, VC, VD, HIV, RA (Ret) MA (Hons) (Cantab)

'Dunborin',

Little Spelling,

Fackoff.

( laugh.gif:D )

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Nice edit Dan but you should have left your original comment up there as it was spot on. :angry:

edited on the basis that the person themselves admitted to not being a fan of otis redding pete. otherwise would have left as was. basically, i felt rob's post was unnecessarily snide and don't mind re-stating that part of it. this is supposed to be a friendly forum and largely is. i tried to find a way to interpret rob's post as tongue-in-cheek, but couldn't. if i'm wrong rob, please feel free to tell me.

edited on the basis that the person themselves admitted to not being a fan of otis redding pete. otherwise would have left as was. basically, i felt rob's post was unnecessarily snide and don't mind re-stating that part of it. this is supposed to be a friendly forum and largely is. i tried to find a way to interpret rob's post as tongue-in-cheek, but couldn't. if i'm wrong rob, please feel free to tell me.

should add that the 'offence' was compounded by the fact that the original poster is very new to the site - can't see why anyone would want to put them off like this (though i've probably been guilty myself in the past).

Social source share

Dear Ken

There's no apostrophe in 'gits'. But there is one in 'that's'. And there's a comma after it, too.

yours sincerely

Professor Sir John Smarmy-Smug

Burger King Professor of Modern Languages And Spelling And That,

University of Great Shiteham,

Adenuf.

Note to Prof Smarmy-Smug

Humph! You should never begin sentences with 'But' or 'And', you fool.

regards

Lt Col Sir JPR Williams-Tuftington-Smythe, MC, VC, VD, HIV, RA (Ret) MA (Hons) (Cantab)

'Dunborin',

Little Spelling,

Fackoff.

( :Dunsure.gif )

I never said my grammer was right,and never would :lol: ,but me spellin`s pretty good.....for a Yorkshire/liverpudlian...born in Germany(BMA),like i allways say,i`m un-educated not thikc..... :huh:

Social source share

I never said my grammer was right,and never would :D ,but me spellin`s pretty good.....for a Yorkshire/liverpudlian...born in Germany(BMA),like i allways say,i`m un-educated not thikc..... :lol:

was only kidding ken...based on you picking up shane jokingly

i couldn't care less about your spelling or anyone else's...this is a soul site, after all...much more interested in the sounds you post all the time :lol:

was also taking the piss out of myself by using pompous names cos i can come across as a pompous twat at times... :yes::(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!