Ever Been Thrown Out Of A Record Store ?

Visiting a record store yesterday in the US, took ages to find in a right shit hole, finally found the place & it looks really promising from the outside, walks in, some guy, the owner says hi what you after, 'soul 45's' says I, he then gets real bolshy, saying 'we dont carry 45's' etc, I say'well the reason Im here is that we exchanged emails before christmas & you said that you did',..........................even more bolshy the guy replies that all the 45's are in storeage else where & that he is saving the sale of them for a retirement project..................shit thinks me, but as a last gasp I offered to help him sort them, hoping might just get a foot in the door, BTW Im being verrrrrrrrrrry polite in all of this................next thing the guy is slagging me off to another customer, so I politely says, you wanna discuss these issues with me, maybe we can start again, as we seem to have got off to a bad start here......................ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god, red neck bolshy f****r starts shouting for me to leave the store & god knows what, for the sake of not getting arrested or beaten up, made a swift departure.............................wondered if any one else has had a similar experience, wouldnt mind but never got to see one single disc, 45 or other wise :ohmy: ..

Im thinking of going back in a month or so in disguise as the store seemed promising even from an LP & 12" side of things blink.gif:unsure: ........................maybe my accent would give me away tho' :wave: .

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 75
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Russ,

I got thrown out of a shop in Stockton, California in the late 70s. I was upset until I found out, he had thrown out everyone else who he thought might have been a dealer.. ever since then I've tried my best not to act like one...rules are..

1. Change your accent

2. look through records very slowly and be sure to constantly drop piles of them on the floor

3. always carry a Billy Joel, Barbara Striesand and Barry Manilow 45s to the counter along with the Salvadors, Magnetics and Larry Clinton 45s you have just found

4. Don't mention Northern Soul or that bloody price guide

5. if you get sussed out, talk about Lady Diana or how you Dad was saved when the US joined the War.

6. If all else fails do what i do, go get yourself a big fish dinner then spend 10 hours in your hotel room trying to find something on TV that is actually worth watching..

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Russ,

I got thrown out of a shop in Stockton, California in the late 70s. I was upset until I found out, he had thrown out everyone else who he thought might have been a dealer.. ever since then I've tried my best not to act like one...rules are..

1. Change your accent

2. look through records very slowly and be sure to constantly drop piles of them on the floor

3. always carry a Billy Joel, Barbara Striesand and Barry Manilow 45s to the counter along with the Salvadors, Magnetics and Larry Clinton 45s you have just found

5. if you get sussed out, talk about Lady Diana or how you Dad was saved when the US joined the War.

6. If all else fails do what i do, go get yourself a big fish dinner then spend 10 hours in your hotel room trying to find something on TV that is actually worth watching..

John

impossible to find anything good on yank tv. its all crap unless you like adverts.

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Theres a Record store in the Pittsburgh area where the owner refuses to sell to Northern seeking UK buyers.

Hes a miserable so and so any way, but after interrogating me about what i was after,( I said across the board, garage, psyche, latin, funk etc) he calmed down a bit.. All the time i was digging he was cursing and bitching; at one time flying into a rage about Styrene when playing a hissing doowop 45!!??

I found a couple of ok boogaloo things, handed them to him and he started going on about how this was too cheap, this is probably worth more in England etc. He grudgingly sold them to me..

Seems he had loads in the old days and now is just a bitter individual, he refused entry to a couple of lads a couple of years ago just for being British !!

The old redneck's discovered ebay now, probably better for him (and us )

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

Russ,

1. Change your accent

John

:unsure:thumbsup.gif:ohmy: hey John did you get my PM ???.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Visiting a record store yesterday in the US, took ages to find in a right shit hole, finally found the place & it looks really promising from the outside, walks in, some guy, the owner says hi what you after, 'soul 45's' says I, he then gets real bolshy, saying 'we dont carry 45's' etc, I say'well the reason Im here is that we exchanged emails before christmas & you said that you did',..........................even more bolshy the guy replies that all the 45's are in storeage else where & that he is saving the sale of them for a retirement project..................shit thinks me, but as a last gasp I offered to help him sort them, hoping might just get a foot in the door, BTW Im being verrrrrrrrrrry polite in all of this................next thing the guy is slagging me off to another customer, so I politely says, you wanna discuss these issues with me, maybe we can start again, as we seem to have got off to a bad start here......................ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god, red neck bolshy f****r starts shouting for me to leave the store & god knows what, for the sake of not getting arrested or beaten up, made a swift departure.............................wondered if any one else has had a similar experience, wouldnt mind but never got to see one single disc, 45 or other wise :ohmy: ..

Im thinking of going back in a month or so in disguise as the store seemed promising even from an LP & 12" side of things thumbsup.gif:unsure: ........................maybe my accent would give me away tho' :lol: .

Russ

Social source share

Russ,

1. Change your accent

John

Hi John good to see/read you are relaxing :unsure: In Val Shively's ,Neil (Brown) and I had our "T" shirts untucked ! Val says "tuck them in boys" .........great times........nice fella too....Got Harvey and the Jokers for $10..........ATB Steve
Social source share

Im thinking of going back in a month or so in disguise as the store seemed promising even from an LP & 12" side of things thumbsup.gif:unsure: ........................maybe my accent would give me away tho' :lol: .

Russ

Russ, didn't I throw you out of K-TWO Records in the Pentagon, in Chatham for having the timerity to ask for a soul record on Pye???? :wave:

Happy days.....................Ive often wondered Jo if I was one of those Matelots that you used to see dancing at the Pembroke Bop. Used to go to that club in the Pentagon too & they alway's played Vicki Sue Robinson turn the beat around.

Hope you are well.

Russ

Social source share

Val Shively's was always an interesting place to visit - quite amusing if you caught him at the right time but otherwise... though he did buy me and M Ritson a Hoagy for lunch way back in ''78

Tony

Going to Philly next weekend.......so Ill pop in Saturday, with shirt tucked in & Ill expect lunch :unsure: .

Ill also expect to find Harvey & the Jokers or something equivalently as interesting...........any one been there recently.................still worth a visit or what ???.

Russ

Social source share

Happy days.....................Ive often wondered Jo if I was one of those Matelots that you used to see dancing at the Pembroke Bop. Used to go to that club in the Pentagon too & they alway's played Vicki Sue Robinson turn the beat around.

Hope you are well.

Russ

Maybe......maybe not...but I have a phot of you dancing at Colly bop in a stripey t-shirt circa '79 thumbsup.gif Now - who'd like me to post that one up. You may miss the skinny runt!!!

Your story is hysterical Russ but you'll understand that thats my ex-matelot sense of humour - be even more funny if you tell us it took you several hours to get there :ohmy:

Glad you're well mate - keep smilin'. :unsure:

Social source share

Going to Philly next weekend.......so Ill pop in Saturday, with shirt tucked in & Ill expect lunch blush.gif .

Ill also expect to find Harvey & the Jokers or something equivalently as interesting...........any one been there recently.................still worth a visit or what ???.

Russ

Hi Neil Brown and Chris Penn are the only people I know who last visited Val's around 4 years ago

They found another Harvey and the Jokers.......in the celler ,sold it to Terry Davis straight off the plane :huh:

They also pulled over a dozen Billy Eckstine........I cannot believe Val's has been picked over not with around 4 million tunes :thumbsup: Besides he will still be picking up stuff today.Ever been to "Jerry's"?ATB Steve

Social source share

I was refused entry to a record store in Miami because "some fat guy from England had left the shelves in a total mess" We could ask for titles from the counter but after half an hour of getting nowhere gave up. After asking about the fat guy we worked out it was............you guessed it.

Went up to Ft Lauderdale to Sid Arthurs oldies and what a total contrast the guy sent out for coffee and do-nuts let us browse the stock and play recods on the shop deck.

Always did what JM said regarding accents and said we came from Australia/New Zealand.

BH

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hope you are well.

Russ

Russ, I am so well :huh: You probably were..........and were you there when they put the Saturday Night Fever light up floor in??? And the Superbad Disco with Mr Superbad off the K-Tel ads with GOGO dancers in hot pants?? Blimey, it was all go down the bop. I saw General Johnson perform down there, and bought him a drink and told Peter Powell to foxtrot oscar........twat. OMG........NOT The Blue Grotto or the other club, SCAMPS, with the (unconvincing) female impersinators who strolled along the top of the bar in (and I think it was called) Bonapartes...but it looked like a tart's boudoir :-) Ah, the Bop...I still have my dockyard pass. Ahhhh, and Navy Days.......... :thumbsup:

Ooops, I digress..........back on thread, i nearly got thrown out of Daddy Kool's in Dean St in the early 8Ts when you went downstairs to the basement for all the Treasure Isle and Studio One 7's. When I asked for some tunes to be played, i was repeatedly ignored and all the other men (all men) got served. This went on for about 10 minutes when I asked if i was being ignored....the guy on the counter said, 'if you don't like it, there's the door'....and one of the customers said 'why don't you just go home where you should be and get in the kitchen or start having kids'.....Needless to say, i explained that my parts weren't set up for having kids and even if I was and he was the last man on earth, the human race would finish there...........I bought a pile of UK Coxsone, Dr Bird, T/Isle 7s and walked out..........I still have the singles. Strangest thing tho - the shop relocated and my bit in Trevor Nelson's 'Soul Nation' was filmed in the new Daddy Kool. Keith, the man who'd owned the shop for decades, was the most interesting man i've ever met...........sadly the shop has closed......but the Wheel does turn :lol: I also had to call the SWAT team (via the alarm button under the counter) when I worked in Reds in Brixton during the 8Ts - it was Lawless Street - believe me :huh: A guy came in with a gun and threatened to shoot all the staff - disgruntled customer....the sight of the armed police bursting through the door added a little je ne sais qua to the day's proceedings.........I remember putting on 'Smile' by the Silvertones straight after blush.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Maybe......maybe not...but I have a phot of you dancing at Colly bop in a stripey t-shirt circa '79 :huh: Now - who'd like me to post that one up. You may miss the skinny runt!!!

Your story is hysterical Russ but you'll understand that thats my ex-matelot sense of humour - be even more funny if you tell us it took you several hours to get there :huh:

Glad you're well mate - keep smilin'. blush.gif

Ooooh, Steve C, you evil cow :thumbsup: Oh g'wan, g'wan, g'wan..............never, repeat, never give Steve C a camera :lol:

Social source share

:thumbsup: This reminds me of the time in Atlanta in 97 a poxy little shop in the middle of of shite area,once inside we were looking thru' tons of 12" and only one little box of 45s nothing in it at all .Once outside the shop my mate decides to have a smoke in front of all these young men who are very mean looking etc."are you from the UK says one" a very worried looking Dave Young (Mouse) who is wearing a Man Utd shirt,starts poopin' it ,a hasty brisk walk down the street starts ,just as the youths in question are about to jump on him and probably rob him ,a car pulls up alongside "are you in need of a ride"we are asked.with that the passenger in the car gets out and chases the youths away,and we are safe once more.It turns out that the car driver is the shop owner and felt for young Dave .

Needless to say any more record hunting in the US was done without that poxy shirt,and yes we did get plenty more tunes,loads in a barbers shop ,a few in a sex style shop..

good hunting in the USA.. blush.gif

Social source share

Russ, I am so well :lol: You probably were..........and were you there when they put the Saturday Night Fever light up floor in??? And the Superbad Disco with Mr Superbad off the K-Tel ads with GOGO dancers in hot pants?? Blimey, it was all go down the bop. I saw General Johnson perform down there, and bought him a drink and told Peter Powell to foxtrot oscar........twat. OMG........NOT The Blue Grotto or the other club, SCAMPS, with the (unconvincing) female impersinators who strolled along the top of the bar in (and I think it was called) Bonapartes...but it looked like a tart's boudoir :-) Ah, the Bop...I still have my dockyard pass. Ahhhh, and Navy Days.......... :thumbsup:

Ooops, I digress..........back on thread, i nearly got thrown out of Daddy Kool's in Dean St in the early 8Ts when you went downstairs to the basement for all the Treasure Isle and Studio One 7's. When I asked for some tunes to be played, i was repeatedly ignored and all the other men (all men) got served. This went on for about 10 minutes when I asked if i was being ignored....the guy on the counter said, 'if you don't like it, there's the door'....and one of the customers said 'why don't you just go home where you should be and get in the kitchen or start having kids'.....Needless to say, i explained that my parts weren't set up for having kids and even if I was and he was the last man on earth, the human race would finish there...........I bought a pile of UK Coxsone, Dr Bird, T/Isle 7s and walked out..........I still have the singles. Strangest thing tho - the shop relocated and my bit in Trevor Nelson's 'Soul Nation' was filmed in the new Daddy Kool. Keith, the man who'd owned the shop for decades, was the most interesting man i've ever met...........sadly the shop has closed......but the Wheel does turn :lol: I also had to call the SWAT team (via the alarm button under the counter) when I worked in Reds in Brixton during the 8Ts - it was Lawless Street - believe me :huh: A guy came in with a gun and threatened to shoot all the staff - disgruntled customer....the sight of the armed police bursting through the door added a little je ne sais qua to the day's proceedings.........I remember putting on 'Smile' by the Silvertones straight after blush.gif Jo

Red's... rememeber them days on brixton high street well.. Once threw up in a soho record store whilst suffering from food poisoning .. legged it before I got thrown out... :huh: Was near the house 12s section so no soulies suffered!

Rich

Social source share

:thumbsup: This reminds me of the time in Atlanta in 97 a poxy little shop in the middle of of shite area,once inside we were looking thru' tons of 12" and only one little box of 45s nothing in it at all .Once outside the shop my mate decides to have a smoke in front of all these young men who are very mean looking etc."are you from the UK says one" a very worried looking Dave Young (Mouse) who is wearing a Man Utd shirt,starts poopin' it ,a hasty brisk walk down the street starts ,just as the youths in question are about to jump on him and probably rob him ,a car pulls up alongside "are you in need of a ride"we are asked.with that the passenger in the car gets out and chases the youths away,and we are safe once more.It turns out that the car driver is the shop owner and felt for young Dave .

Needless to say any more record hunting in the US was done without that poxy shirt,and yes we did get plenty more tunes,loads in a barbers shop ,a few in a sex style shop..

good hunting in the USA.. blush.gif

Good story - Had a mate who visited the states to buy 45s back in the late 80s - Found himself in a pretty dodgy area - Washington I think - Wandering the streets trying to find a record store - car full of dodgy yoots pull up - ask him where he's from , whats he doing round here.. don't see many white lads round here etc. Mate explains what he's looking for - Guys in car are like ???? - Tell him to hop in - then proceed to escort him round the 'hood to various stores all the while telling him he shouldn't be going it alone etc.. Got his best haul from that little trip - Cashmeres Showstopper Mint - $1.......

ATB

Rich

Social source share

I was refused entry to a record store in Miami because "some fat guy from England had left the shelves in a total mess" We could ask for titles from the counter but after half an hour of getting nowhere gave up. After asking about the fat guy we worked out it was............you guessed it.

Went up to Ft Lauderdale to Sid Arthurs oldies and what a total contrast the guy sent out for coffee and do-nuts let us browse the stock and play recods on the shop deck.

Always did what JM said regarding accents and said we came from Australia/New Zealand.

BH

Very similar thing happened to me in Orlando. Although I wasn't thrown out the two owners were very cagey and awfully aprubt when I asked any questions. They seemed to get more and more heated over a pair of hours as I continued browsing. After a conversation over buying a few 7"'s and albums (of nothing worth mentioning) they explained that two "largish" guys (and they named the two well known faces on our scene) had been in the store recently and treated the records they had been browsing through with total disrespect, discarding sleeves and generally showing very little consideration for their stock. They continued that if they ever saw them again they'd...............you can guess the rest. So how did I apease them - simply said that there may be a queue and they wouldn't be at the front. Their sense of humour came out and we had a long chat and they were fine after that. I could understand their attitudes towards anyone resembling a Brit that walked into the shop, especially if they headed straight towards the 7"soul section but I got them smiling again after reassuring them that not all Brit soul fans/collectors were like that.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Very similar thing happened to me in Orlando. Although I wasn't thrown out the two owners were very cagey and awfully aprubt when I asked any questions. They seemed to get more and more heated over a pair of hours as I continued browsing. After a conversation over buying a few 7"'s and albums (of nothing worth mentioning) they explained that two "largish" guys (and they named the two well known faces on our scene) had been in the store recently and treated the records they had been browsing through with total disrespect, discarding sleeves and generally showing very little consideration for their stock. They continued that if they ever saw them again they'd...............you can guess the rest. So how did I apease them - simply said that there may be a queue and they wouldn't be at the front. Their sense of humour came out and we had a long chat and they were fine after that. I could understand their attitudes towards anyone resembling a Brit that walked into the shop, especially if they headed straight towards the 7"soul section but I got them smiling again after reassuring them that not all Brit soul fans/collectors were like that.

Good for you, Steve biggrin.gif Now about that Russ Vickers snapshot :thumbsup:

Social source share

Maybe......maybe not...but I have a phot of you dancing at Colly bop in a stripey t-shirt circa '79 :thumbsup: Now - who'd like me to post that one up. You may miss the skinny runt!!!

Your story is hysterical Russ but you'll understand that thats my ex-matelot sense of humour - be even more funny if you tell us it took you several hours to get there biggrin.gif

Glad you're well mate - keep smilin'. :huh:

This makes a change from the usual "when I went to Wigan/Cleethorpes/Torch" type threads. The old when I went to various Nautical Training establishment crap Thursday night discos is a bit more exclusive.

I remember a certain board member being told not to bring any more records because no one danced to them. It was probably the fact that the top DJs hired at HMS Collingwood. used to play the wrong sides.

Laugh, I nearly didn't start.

Paul(Jimmy)

Social source share

Didn't get thrown out as such but..............Anyone remember Rock On in Camden Town behind the tube station? Early 80s. It was run by some Irish guy with a beard and glasses. They had boxes anally sub-divided into things like "Deep Soul", "MOtown", "Stax/Atlantic"......get the picture? Well, this guy could either be nice and helpful or be a complete ball-breaker. Anyhows, went in there one day, asked to look at all the soul boxes, got interrogated as to exactly what it was I wanted, told him I'd know it when I saw it, to which he replied......."you better not be looking for all that Northern dance shit"!!

How's that for customer service?

Social source share

biggrin.gif:thumbsup::huh: hey John did you get my PM ???.
Russ, what's a PM?? Stop talkin' code to old people, only just worked out how to do a reply..what's wrong with telephones these days.. ? john
Social source share

I was in a record shop in Orlando -Rock n Roll Heaven.The guys who ran the place couldn't have been more helpful.They hadn't got much 60's but plenty of 70's stuff.They were even going through the racks and playing them for me.Nice little haul of 70's nowt rare mind and also picked up a mint picture sleeve copy of Bobby Hebb - Love Love Love for a couple of bucks.Talking to another guy in store tho' he had a problem with Brits as he'd lived in Pittsburgh in the late 70's/80's and reckoned he'd been ripped off for his 60's stuff.Am back in Orlando in May and am going to St Petes plus record fair in Tampa so that could be interesting.

Regards

Dave.

Social source share

Didn't get thrown out as such but..............Anyone remember Rock On in Camden Town behind the tube station? Early 80s. It was run by some Irish guy with a beard and glasses. They had boxes anally sub-divided into things like "Deep Soul", "MOtown", "Stax/Atlantic"......get the picture? Well, this guy could either be nice and helpful or be a complete ball-breaker. Anyhows, went in there one day, asked to look at all the soul boxes, got interrogated as to exactly what it was I wanted, told him I'd know it when I saw it, to which he replied......."you better not be looking for all that Northern dance shit"!!

How's that for customer service?

Got a Frankie & Johnny;uk demo nice green & silver,in there........................65p :D

Social source share

Russ, what's a PM?? Stop talkin' code to old people, only just worked out how to do a reply..what's wrong with telephones these days.. ? john

Hi again John. Nice to see you on this website. :D

Well, if nobody else is going to tell you what a PM is, it looks like I`ll have to. It`s a PERSONAL MESSAGE which members can send to each other in privacy (i.e. Nobody else can see `em except you and the sender)

Click on My Controls (near the top right of the page) You`ll find all the controls in there. It`s like your own little email program. Inbox,Outbox,Send New message and much more-it`s all there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Stu Bower

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Go on Steve......................................you cant die from embarrassment can you??? Any way, by the time I get home, will all be forgotten :D:lol: .

Russ

Now I've found it it seems that you are not as clear as I'd like you to be however the lithe and young looks are extremely evident Mr Vickers. Remember the rows we used to have at the Tues bop, records in hand brought at Wigan (in your case) and The Fleet (in mine - and usually Grapevine pressings) the previous weekend - Pete Cross (sad I remembered his name ) was so loathed to play our stuff and even then it would only be 3 or so. Ahhhhh those days. Keeping the nautical theme I've added a phot from Nelson Bop when Edwin Starr was appearring.

As for you Paul R me and the Bedford boyz have had many a conversation since the early 80's as to how you were our divine teacher and Father Soul. Don't dwell on the past that much but this thread has definitely brought it all back. Apologies for straying off topic.

Very concerned that you're still on the way back from that record shop :yes: Was a long way to go just to get thrown out - or did you mean when you get back to blighty :D

Social source share

I sent you a Personal Message thru' the SS Forum. Scroll to the top of the page & there is a little bit that says 'personal message' if you have messages it will indicate how many. Click & you will be sent to your perssonal message folder......................................Ill give you a ring next week too :D .

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Now I've found it it seems that you are not as clear as I'd like you to be however the lithe and young looks are extremely evident Mr Vickers. Remember the rows we used to have at the Tues bop, records in hand brought at Wigan (in your case) and The Fleet (in mine - and usually Grapevine pressings) the previous weekend - Pete Cross (sad I remembered his name ) was so loathed to play our stuff and even then it would only be 3 or so. Ahhhhh those days. Keeping the nautical theme I've added a phot from Nelson Bop when Edwin Starr was appearring.

As for you Paul R me and the Bedford boyz have had many a conversation since the early 80's as to how you were our divine teacher and Father Soul. Don't dwell on the past that much but this thread has definitely brought it all back. Apologies for straying off topic.

Very concerned that you're still on the way back from that record shop :lol: Was a long way to go just to get thrown out - or did you mean when you get back to blighty :D

No Im still here safe & sound mate...............bit pissed off, but ok, got plans for next weekend tho' that I am hoping will make up for this weekends debacle.

Thanks for posting the phot.

Steve the guy almost in the centre pick with the Perry on looks like Billy from Burnley, can you remember him ???. Billy & myself alway's travelled together, but he seemed to disappear after Wigan closed, saw him once years later at the Ritz & it was kinda his annual nighter, sad really as he was mad for it back then, as we all were. All your recollections from back then are as I remember too Steve. Pete Cross once gave me a British copy of Mood Mosaic !!!!. Probably cos I pestered the life out of him to play it, as it was about the only thing he had that we would dance too, also remember us thrusting handfuls of pressings & the odd original at him for our three records or so a night.....................remember the chicks loving the dancing tho', the practice ground for all the new moves before we hit the hallowed ground of our Nighter of choice the next weekend.

Hope you & Carole are well buddy

Russ

Social source share

No Im still here safe & sound mate...............bit pissed off, but ok, got plans for next weekend tho' that I am hoping will make up for this weekends debacle.

Thanks for posting the phot.

Steve the guy almost in the centre pick with the Perry on looks like Billy from Burnley, can you remember him ???. Billy & myself alway's travelled together, but he seemed to disappear after Wigan closed, saw him once years later at the Ritz & it was kinda his annual nighter, sad really as he was mad for it back then, as we all were. All your recollections from back then are as I remember too Steve. Pete Cross once gave me a British copy of Mood Mosaic !!!!. Probably cos I pestered the life out of him to play it, as it was about the only thing he had that we would dance too, also remember us thrusting handfuls of pressings & the odd original at him for our three records or so a night.....................remember the chicks loving the dancing tho', the practice ground for all the new moves before we hit the hallowed ground of our Nighter of choice the next weekend.

Hope you & Carole are well buddy

Russ

Yeah thats Billy mate. Don't know who the lady is but the guy in the black shirt was a novice from Hastings I think. wanker.gif Did your Jen go to that old Colly bop or did she sart at the new one? Who was the other guy at Colly that got busted with Billy?

Hope that boy of yours hasn't become too Americanised :D

Social source share

Yeah thats Billy mate. Don't know who the lady is but the guy in the black shirt was a novice from Hastings I think. wanker.gif Did your Jen go to that old Colly bop or did she sart at the new one? Who was the other guy at Colly that got busted with Billy?

Hope that boy of yours hasn't become too Americanised :D

Yeah I remember the other guy really well too, got busted for barbs, actually saw him at Stoke a couple of years back.....................but cant remember his name for the life of me, used to go to his gaff before Wigan sometimes................think this phot was a little before Jenny's time, altho' I think she remembers the old bop.

Izak is pretty cool mate, a little bit of a yankee doodle dandy, but a lot of it is put on to fit in with school friends, he got, in a scrape at school recently because some American kid said something detrimental about England & Izak duffed him one..............silly bugger got caught tho !!!, had to give him a bollocking for hitting, but really felt a little proud that he was defending the home land.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Izak is pretty cool mate, a little bit of a yankee doodle dandy, but a lot of it is put on to fit in with school friends, he got, in a scrape at school recently because some American kid said something detrimental about England & Izak duffed him one..............silly bugger got caught tho !!!, had to give him a bollocking for hitting, but really felt a little proud that he was defending the home land.

Russ

:D:lol::yes::D:yes::D:D:lol::lol:

Social source share

Pete Cross once gave me a British copy of Mood Mosaic !!!!. Probably cos I pestered the life out of him to play it, as it was about the only thing he had that we would dance too,

Russ

Pete Cross gave me a Beverly Anne "You've Got Your Mind" maxi single with Ray Paige etc. He was still a W*nker though.

Paul

Social source share

Got a Frankie & Johnny;uk demo nice green & silver,in there........................65p ohmy.gif

Nice one Ken! Used to pick up loads of UK bits in there, Motown red & whites/green & whites, Sue, US stuff too sometimes, piccy sleeves, EPs......all sorts. Camden Market was good then as well.

Social source share

Got thrown out of 'Record & Tape Exchange' in Notting Hill Gate, in about 1981, in the vinyl collectors area, they accused me of changing the labels on a couple of UK Motown LP's ,which was ironic because for a change I had a pocketful of money (I'd just got my grant cheque!). Never understood their policy that you had to have a degree to work there! So some w*****r who's got an economics degree is telling me I would bother to change labels on a couple of Supremes LPs's that cost a couple of quid each!!!

Social source share

Ooops, I digress..........back on thread, i nearly got thrown out of Daddy Kool's in Dean St in the early 8Ts when you went downstairs to the basement for all the Treasure Isle and Studio One 7's. When I asked for some tunes to be played, i was repeatedly ignored and all the other men (all men) got served. This went on for about 10 minutes when I asked if i was being ignored....the guy on the counter said, 'if you don't like it, there's the door'....and one of the customers said 'why don't you just go home where you should be and get in the kitchen or start having kids'.....Needless to say, i explained that my parts weren't set up for having kids and even if I was and he was the last man on earth, the human race would finish there...........I bought a pile of UK Coxsone, Dr Bird, T/Isle 7s and walked out..........I still have the singles. Strangest thing tho - the shop relocated and my bit in Trevor Nelson's 'Soul Nation' was filmed in the new Daddy Kool. Keith, the man who'd owned the shop for decades, was the most interesting man i've ever met...........sadly the shop has closed......but the Wheel does turn

Hi Jo!

As far as I'm aware, Keith still runs the shop in Berwick Street, a few doors away from W1's only bonafide chippy (had many great lunch hours in there in the '80s!). It's now in the basement, under a soul-funk shop. Dunno if he's still trading under "Daddy Kool" though. I still see Keith there sometimes, and he still has time for a chinwag! I have always found him great to get on with, and he always has time to chat about life, and most other things aside of records. I believe Keith and his son now manage the basement shop.

Gene

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Had loads of JM/Koppel etc had been here and clean us out type comments from lots of store owner, but how's this for customer service, having been looking around one shop and only finding a few bit's the guy tells us about another store in the next town, it's about 30 miles away, we reckon it will take about an hour to get there. The owner gets on the phone to the other record shop to tell the next shop we are on our way, it's mid afternoon by the way. We eventually arrive at the next shop alittle later than expected just before closing time, the guy keep the shop open an extra hour for us, we buy a few items and say we will back in the morning. Shop owner recommends a motel were we can get cheap beer and borrows us a record player and some music reference books ( including the Simon Soussan price guide), without a deposit and said see you in the morning. No we didn't do a runner, we went back the following morning, bought some more records plus the Soussan price guides. This guy then told us about another store and phone ahead to tell the owner we were on our way. :thumbsup: Great experience.

Social source share

Hi Russ,

Hope you're doing well mate. Not seen you since I guested at your gig on the south coast along with Gavin Page... some 6/7 years ago? A crackin' night.

Had a few experiences like yours. Back in 85 in San Francisco a guy got really aggresive with me when he found out I was a Brit because a UK Soul dealer had been in his shop a few days prior and 'wrecked his stock'. I told him I'd never heard of the guy!! (taking the fifth here).

About ten years ago, in a particularly heavy part of Washington, me and a few mates were threatened, through a record shop doorway, by the boys in the hood for being on 'my street'. Fortunately the dealer was a well respected (and well connected) old boy and he 'gently' persuaded the lynch mob to go back over to the other side of the street where they hovered like Buzzards until we were escorted out of town.

But if you really want a strong dose of verbal abuse, check out Rich Rozen in Vegas. Spend less than $500 and he won't even let you dial a taxi.

A real Bad Mutha F***A!

Got some great stuff off him though last year (for $510!!)

Worth every second of the bitchin'

:thumbsup:

Cheers

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

[wondered if any one else has had a similar experience, wouldnt mind but never got to see one single disc, 45 or other wise :D ..

Im thinking of going back in a month or so in disguise as the store seemed promising even from an LP & 12" side of things :yes::thumbsup: ........................maybe my accent would give me away tho' :lol: .

Russ

Edited by Martin Coleman
Social source share

Never been thrown out of a record store but when Pete Lawson was alive we got thrown out of pubs,shops, cafes, Labour Club, Soul nites, Police Station, Railway Station, peoples houses, Petes own house by Jean his mum, Blackpool Highland Room in fact Pete used to call it a bad day if he did,nt manage to wind someone up, the best one was when Pete and Mickie Cruise got thrown out of the Church after Dean Mitchells party NOW THAT WAS FUNNY :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

Hi Russ,

Hope you're doing well mate. Not seen you since I guested at your gig on the south coast along with Gavin Page... some 6/7 years ago? A crackin' night.

Had a few experiences like yours. Back in 85 in San Francisco a guy got really aggresive with me when he found out I was a Brit because a UK Soul dealer had been in his shop a few days prior and 'wrecked his stock'. I told him I'd never heard of the guy!! (taking the fifth here).

About ten years ago, in a particularly heavy part of Washington, me and a few mates were threatened, through a record shop doorway, by the boys in the hood for being on 'my street'. Fortunately the dealer was a well respected (and well connected) old boy and he 'gently' persuaded the lynch mob to go back over to the other side of the street where they hovered like Buzzards until we were escorted out of town.

But if you really want a strong dose of verbal abuse, check out Rich Rozen in Vegas. Spend less than $500 and he won't even let you dial a taxi.

A real Bad Mutha F***A!

:yes:

Cheers

Sean Hampsey

i remember someone hiding under a coat sean whilst I drove the get away car !!!!!!!!!

also Tats has been chucked out of loads for being un-tidy and de-alphbetizing all the stock :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Rob,

You are dead right.

You drove the getaway car. You was that driver.

Me, Your missus and 21 stone, 6'5" Bully hid under the coat (I wasn't alone) while Tats laughed his tackle off and gave them all the finger!

At the time I couldn't figure out if he was mega brave or just a total, bleedin' idiot.

Of course, 10 years on, I know him much better now.... it wasn't bravery.

BTW

Awesome gig on Saturday Rob.

Kim was Fantastic. Credit to yer boy.

Those who weren't there... miss Kim Weston at your peril.

Social source share

[wondered if any one else has had a similar experience, wouldnt mind but never got to see one single disc, 45 or other wise unsure.gif ..

Im thinking of going back in a month or so in disguise as the store seemed promising even from an LP & 12" side of things :huh::lol: ........................maybe my accent would give me away tho' :lol: .

Russ

Hi Russ,

I'm having a lot of experiences just like the one you described. I've been in the US for a little over 6 months now, and the accent can be a blessing or a curse. If you find somewhere that hasn't been hit before, then the owners invariably want to talk about their holiday to London/ Scotland/ Ireland and they can't be more helpful. On the other hand if you find someone that's been "visited" before, then it can be easier just to walk away. (Spending hours searching through boxes only for the owner to produce a price guide when you go to pay can be soul destroying). All of JMs tips about looking through boxes slowly, dropping stuff, never mentioning northern soul etc are good ones. The only exception is when you are planning return visits. I've found one place that gets a reasonable turnover of stock, which originally charged me 50 cents a pop. This then went up to a dollar on my second visit, then $2 on the third. On my fourth visit the guy took the pile that I'd selected, and said "come back next week". I think he finally looked them up on t'internet. Suffice to say I am NOT welcome back. I think in these cases a bit of honesty might be the best policy (maybe work out a deal with the owner where you pick them and he sells some while you keep others).

On a related note. Do you think we deserve the treatment we get? Have we genuinely ripped people off (as some maintain), or is it just economics (we pay the price offered)? Do you think that today's record hunters are paying the price for some people's behavior in the past?

Martin

reckon you have just about got it right mate.

I do think that we sometimes get the knock on effect if the stores have been turned over badly & I dont mean financilly either, some Brits have treated these people like poo & abused peoples good nature. I have been told loads of times recently that I am not 'aggressive' enough when it comes to shaking down potential sources of records ???, well, to be honest I try to treat every one with respect & Im not going to change my way's . Just pisses me right off when I want to do the right thing & some guy's still wont have it, cos of an incident years ago with some idiot.

I dont think we have ripped any one off if we pay the price on the sticker or what is being asked for the disc. My policy is this, pay what the sticker say's regardless of what the disc is worth, the guy has priced it after all, but if you are asked what its worth, depending on the circumstances Im honest ish. I have even been known to tip quite heavily if I have had a good day :D Spose Im cleansing my concience really.

Russ

Social source share

Hi Russ,

A real Bad Mutha F***A!

:lol:

Cheers

Sean Hampsey

Hey Sean

How ya doin' buddy.

Ritch Rosen is an ignorant git, once agreed a price on three copies of Ujima, sent the cash & only received the one copy, called to see what the poblem was & he said he wouldnt send the other copies until I sent him some ballads for trades. Sent him all my guff from years of soul packs, received the other copies in the post with snotty note telling me to do better next time :huh:unsure.gif:D .

Wanna share your Washington contact via a PM mate :lol: ???.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!