Birmingham Hilton May Bank Holiday

Anyone got anymore details on this ? like what acts they have coming sounds good. I went to the Bobby Womack one a couple of years back and didn't think they would have any more. Glad to see a quality event in the heart of England. Think dates are 26th-28th May.

Edited by Dung-Hinger
  • Replies 59
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The line up hasn't been announced yet -but the projected main act is a goodie ! Birmingham Hilton is a great weekend (and not as far to go as Blackpool for us poor Southerners !) and has an atmosphere all it's own. It's going to sell out pretty quickly. Roger Williams has put this up on his site - https://www.soulsorts.co.uk/luxurysoul.htm

Edited by Simon White

The line up hasn't been announced yet -but the projected main act is a goodie ! Birmingham Hilton is a great weekend (and not as far to go as Blackpool for us poor Southerners !) and has an atmosphere all it's own. It's going to sell out pretty quickly. Roger Williams has put this up on his site - https://www.soulsorts.co.uk/luxurysoul.htm

Such a shame it had to clash with Northampton weekender.

Such a shame it had to clash with Northampton weekender.

Hi Catriona

Yes it a shame, as our dates have been well known for a long time, in fact as you know they were in the programme for our first weekender back in October! Still that is how it goes sometimes! Our line up and itinery for the whole 3 days will compare with any I think!

Cheers

Paddy

It would be fascinating to hear Soul Sam's view on this development. I wonder if he believes that the Birmingham organisers are naive, particularly when they already knew the dates of the Northampton event? Or could it be that he wouldn't dare offend a fellow godfather?

I believe that the Birmingham do has only just been organised and the line up (if, as I ve been told) is wonderful. I cant imagine that it will affect the crowd at Northampton other than a few modern soulies who will be torn between the two. it was a personal post as I would like to do both and I dont know how I can manage it.

catriona

x

It would be fascinating to hear Soul Sam's view on this development. I wonder if he believes that the Birmingham organisers are naive, particularly when they already knew the dates of the Northampton event? Or could it be that he wouldn't dare offend a fellow godfather?

Sam is a god. His opinion will change everything. ohmy.gif:sleep3::yes:

The Birmingham Hilton weekender has always been held on this particular weekend on the calendar, long before the Northampton event was conceived - it was out of the organisers' hands that one didn't take place last year but it was never not going to happen again and negotiations have been taking place for this one for a long time.

Obviously it's not ideal that any events clash, particularly weekenders, but the two events are at different ends of the soul spectrum so to speak and will individually attract a quite different type of crowd overall so personally I don't think they'll have much of an adverse effect on each other.

Roger

Edited by Dodger

I think the crossover of punters between the Northampton Crowd and The Hilton Crowd is minimal to say the least, to the point where the subject isn't worth bringing up.

Oh and Rog- a lot of people care what Soul Sam says-his mind is open across the board musically which is a good thing. Some people seem to be obsessed with him for some reason.

Whether they agree with him is something else. ohmy.gif

particularly weekenders, but the two events are at different ends of the soul spectrum so to speak and will individually attract a quite different type of crowd overall so personally I don't think they'll have much of an adverse effect on each other.

Roger

Yes I would agree with that, certainly our bookings are very strong and continue to be coming in all the time. The Birmingham event is usually aimed at the Modern Soul crowd, so I am hoping that it wont affect our weekender that much! Our live line up is as good as any I think. But I did check as best I could to see that our May date did not clash with any others & at the time it didn't! lol

Cheers

Paddy

Last years Northampton event was still the top 3 best live gig's I've ever seen.

At a guess the crowd there was 95% Northern, whereas the crowd at the Hilton events is 95% Modern- I don't see a clash at all, just two fantastic events on a Bank Holiday weekend (not unusual surely?) from opposite ends of the Rare Soul spectrum.

Following a huge national demand for a third Luxury Soul Weekender in Birmingham (the 7th overall), the venue have now greenlighted the return of the event in 2006 over the May Bank Holiday Weekend Friday 26 to Sunday 29th (inclusive) to take place at the city's Hilton Metropole hotel situated on the National Exhibition Centre complex.

The DJ line up and function rooms will be tailored in response, but the early signs are that this weekend festival of top quality soul in 4-star surroundings will once again sell out fast . At present five music rooms are planned, covering the whole spectrum of contemporary and classic soul, jazz and reggae.

More good news is that the venue have held the prices at the 2004 rate for early bookers, thats £169 per person for Friday & Saturday night, or an even better value 3-night offer of £199 per person for Friday to Monday. These prices are inclusive of breakfasts and dinners.

Drinks prices will also be heavily discounted to all attending and displaying their "Luxury Soul" wristbands.

As usual with these events, a top line up of DJ's will be appearing and the live acts are currently be arranged with final details announced in March.

Keep visiting Soulsorts for updates as they're announced and tune into Richard Searling on Smooth FM on Saturday evenings 6-9pm.

website-page_08.jpgwebsite-page_09.jpg

Thanks for that Simon, looks like really good value for money @£169 inc meals, had a great time at the Womack one and heard a rumour on the main act ..when will this be confirmed ?

looks like Birmingham for me :thumbsup:

Guest soul4life

for those of us who love modern soul...the hilton weekenders are the place to be at! really happy to see birmingham back as gives modern soul luva,s two 5star soul weekenders to attend and celebrate everything modern in one year!!!! :thumbsup::yes::D

Seconded- the Birmingham event has an atmosphere all of it's own. As a born and bred Londoner I've always said Birmingham is the only other city in Britain I could live in. I like the city, I like the people (Midlanders are the driest and funniest, most relaxed people in the country) and I even like the cities around it. What they've done to Birmingham City centre is great. Many very happy times spent there in the 80's and 90's even if I can't actually remember half of them. :thumbsup:wacko.gif:yes:

Seconded- the Birmingham event has an atmosphere all of it's own. As a born and bred Londoner I've always said Birmingham is the only other city in Britain I could live in. I like the city, I like the people (Midlanders are the driest and funniest, most relaxed people in the country) and I even like the cities around it. What they've done to Birmingham City centre is great. Many very happy times spent there in the 80's and 90's even if I can't actually remember half of them. :thumbsup:wacko.gif:yes:

Just read Roger's flyer, and it does not say that it is a Modern Soul event, most postings on here is saying it is, as they have been in the past, so is this one going to mostly modern?

Cheers

Paddy

True Paddy- it doesn't say it's a Modern event - but it is and anyone interested - and in fact anyone not interested in it - will know that.

Just an oversight on Rogers part I suspect - either that or he doesn't accept there's a bigger Northern rare soul scene outside of his box of rare downloads ! whistling.gif

Just an oversight on Rogers part I suspect - either that or he doesn't accept there's a bigger Northern rare soul scene outside of his box of rare downloads ! :lol:

No oversight mate because it's not a modern soul weekender, it's a soul weekender as it normally is where a bit of everything gets played from 60s to brand new including most genres in between.

Simey luv, your comedy splits my sides at times. You should be on the stage. The landing stage in Hyde park, chewing bread for gummy ducks. :lol:

Guest stash313

Ahhh thankgod its back!

The Hilton's in January and May are the highlights of the year Soul-wise, Decided on the 3 night package due to the football season having ended three weeks before.

Wherelese for £200 can you get 3 nights in a four star hotel with meals thrown in along with fantastic entertainment across five rooms?

It's gonna be a big one, I for one can't wait.

Probably only bettered by my weekend in Cardiff next week! :-)))))))

DJ line up is still being finalised I suppose.

:D

Doesn't Dave look sweet ?

:lol:

Oh and Rog, "Luv" doesn't suit you babes ! I know you've always fancied me, but I've told you before, that sweet talk won't work.

:yes:

Guest stash313

DJ line up is still being finalised I suppose.

:D

Doesn't Dave look sweet ?

:lol:

Oh and Rog, "Luv" doesn't suit you babes ! I know you've always fancied me, but I've told you before, that sweet talk won't work.

:yes:

Lover's tiff?

Not on valentines day... :D

• 1 month later...

The thread wasn't picked up again after this - the live acts are the great James ' D Train' Williams and the UK's finest Kenny Thomas. nearly sold out already from what I can gather.

Should we start a dozen threads for it? whistling.gif:)

Wow! Just counted the Prestatyn threads and yes you are right 12 of them on the first page of the 'events discussion!' :wicked:

Cheers

Paddy

• 1 month later...

to everyone who is going to the birmingham weekender, when this event ends on sunday night, wake up monday full english breakfast pack bags check out hotel, why not finish off at the local alldayer event at

JCT2 BANK HOLIDAY SOUL ALLDAYER

@ THE BIRCHLEY SPORTS & SOCIAL CLUB, BRUNEL ROAD, OLDBURY

WEST MIDS, ( 1 MIN DRIVE FROM JCT 2 M5 AND 10 MIN FROM HOTEL)

TOP WEST MIDS DJS PLAYING ACROSS THE BOARD SOUL

PHIL RICHARDS, BLUE MAX, CHRIS ANDERTON, JOHN WESTON,

HITSVILLE CHALKY,JAMIE CARR, RON GARRETT, LITTLE SCOTTY

SNOWY, PLUS OTHERS

STARTS AT 2PM TILL 12:30AM ONLY £ 5 OTD.

post-2690-1146781903.jpg

Guest Dodger

Talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous . . . . . good opportunistic thread hijack by the way :lol:

Better quality Hilton flyer attached.

post-918-1146783359.jpg

Am I right thinking that this is the first time the Birmingham event will include a 6T's/Northern room?

I dont remember one last time I was there...

Jayne.

Any event with Shirley Ellis on the flyer is good by me !

Hi Simon,

I haven't seen the flyer - this PC is too slow to try and enlarge the flyer. :P

Jayne.x.

Guest Dodger

Am I right thinking that this is the first time the Birmingham event will include a 6T's/Northern room?

I dont remember one last time I was there...

Jayne.

That's news to me. :P I certainly hope it's not true.

Source Advert