Eddie Billips/Billups - Info Please

Guest Jamie

I'm hoping some of you experts will be able to give me a bit of help on the following:

Eddie Billips & The C C C's 'Shake Off That Dream' Gar-Pax

Eddie Billups 'Shake Off That Dream' Seventy 7

Eddie Billups 'Shake Off That Dream' Helpp

Which came first?

Which is the most desireable/rare?

Price tags?

Are the versions all identical? (e.g. Natural Four on Boola Boola & ABC)

Cheers,

Jamie

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen/heard:

Garpax came first, books about £250;

Seventy 7 came after, books about £150;

Sorry can't help with Helpp tehehe excuse the pun, even Manship doesn't list that!

I don't know but I prosume both versions are same, as they tend to be sold as '1st & 2nd' issues.

Hope this helps!

Social source share

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen/heard:

Garpax came first, books about £250;

Seventy 7 came after, books about £150;

Sorry can't help with Helpp tehehe excuse the pun, even Manship doesn't list that!

I don't know but I prosume both versions are same, as they tend to be sold as '1st & 2nd' issues.

Hope this helps!

Cheers Mr Boot.

I queried it because the spelling of his name is different on the Gar-Pax to the Seventy 7 and Helpp.

I also think they are slightly different takes (refer to Manship NM & 78)

I'm trying to read between the lines and think maybe the Helpp issue is the first of the '78', (The Seventy 7 being 2nd) and the Gar-Pax 'NM' was only issued once???

I've heard the Seventy 7 version only, so can't quite put it together....

Damn my feeble mind!!!

Social source share

I HAVE THE HELPP VERSION WHICH I'VE BEEN TOLD IS THE 1ST ISSUE.

Hi Mick,

I take it you have heard both the Seventy 7 and Helpp issues, can you confirm that they are the same?

I am right in thinking the Gar-Pax issue is a different take? (see e.g. above)

What sort of price are we looking at on the Helpp issue???

Cheers,

Jamie

Social source share

i thought seventy 7 was first issue  gar pax is a later updated verion slightly different so i have been told i have the 77 version.

mark

Cheers Mark.

I always thought Seventy 7 did second issues, e.g. Ann Sexton on Impel, then 2 issues on Seventy 7.

Also, it's not often the second issue is worth more than the first issue, as in the Gar-Pax case.

Ah well, just when you think you've got the angle sussed!!!! LOL

Can somebody 'helpp' with a value on the 'Helpp' issue????

Please!

Jamie

Social source share

Cheers Mark.

I always thought Seventy 7 did second issues, e.g. Ann Sexton on Impel, then 2 issues on Seventy 7.

Also, it's not often the second issue is worth more than the first issue, as in the Gar-Pax case.

Ah well, just when you think you've got the angle sussed!!!! LOL

Can somebody 'helpp' with a value on the 'Helpp' issue????

Please!

Jamie

The Helpp issue's on ebay now, so I guess you could wait around 'til it closes and then have a look at the value...one way I suppose. Infact, all three issues are/have been on the bay in the last few days. First the Gar-Pax, then the SS7 and Helpp.

Stop press. The Helpp issue closed a few days back at $227. So technically, there's your valuation on that.

Social source share

The Helpp issue's on ebay now, so I guess you could wait around 'til it closes and then have a look at the value...one way I suppose. Infact, all three issues are/have been on the bay in the last few days. First the Gar-Pax, then the SS7 and Helpp.

Stop press. The Helpp issue closed a few days back at $227. So technically, there's your valuation on that.

Thanks Kooga,

If it closed at $227, and using my abacus mathematics, I reckon that's about £130.

If the Gar-Pax issue is booked at £250, and the Seventy 7 at £150, I think that has gone for under the true value.

My instincts tell me it is worth more than the 77 copy, with all respect to Mark!

Has anyone seen any on any lists???

I might even try JM - even though it's not listed in his big book of records.

Ta very much.

Jamie

Social source share

If the Gar-Pax issue is booked at £250, and the Seventy 7 at £150, I think that has gone for under the true value.

My instincts tell me it is worth more than the 77 copy, with all respect to Mark!

In my experience the value is the other way around on the Garpax/77 issues, 77 at £250 and Garpax at £150, or less. You see the Garpax one more often than the 77 one. If the Helpp one is the first issue, and if it is the rarest of the three, I'd agree that £130 is probably a good bargain.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'd probably agree with Christian here although i would say that the last few i've seen for sale have both been booked at £250 one on Gar-Pax and one on Seventy 7, can't help on the Helpp issue mate first i personally have heard of it, i would tend to take old Grandfather Smith at his word though he been around a bit you know and knows the persons who know about these things...................or does he???????? Mwahahoarrrrrrr (sorry, well actually no i'm not but now that i've started i just can't stop being an Evil Genius)

Social source share

You've all been very helpful, however, I'm still looking for a value on the Helpp issue.

If only Mick Smith has heard of the Helpp copy and some of you veterans (collecting wise!! LOL) haven't heard of the Helpp copy, that sort of tells me that it is pretty rare.

I should perhaps grab the copy I've been offered, and try and find out it's true worth later......

Social source share

If Helpps the 1st issue, then we must use our mathematacategorical method to find the true value. See below:

Seventy 7 - £150

Garpax - £250

£250 take-away £150 equals £100,

£250 plus £100 equals £350 - and thus; our answer ;-)

Mr Boot, I do hope your complex value system is correct, I should be on a winner.

Any offers? starting at £400 LOL!!!!!!!

Social source share

Just over £100.

That's why I've done a bit of digging, as I'd only heard of the other 2 issues.

Let's hope it's shit-rare! About time I had a bit of luck!

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I'd probably agree with Christian here although i would say that the last few i've seen for sale have both been booked at £250 one on Gar-Pax and one on Seventy 7, can't help on the Helpp issue mate first i personally have heard of it, i would tend to take old Grandfather Smith at his word though he been around a bit you know and knows the persons who know about these things...................or does he???????? Mwahahoarrrrrrr (sorry, well actually no i'm not but now that i've started i just can't stop being an Evil Genius)

WHEN MY NUMBER 1 70S MAN COMES BACK FROM HOLLIDAY I WILL HAVE A CHAT AND ALL WILL BE REVEALED. THE PRICE-WHAT CAME 1ST. ALL I CAN SAY AT THIS MOMENT IS I'VE SEEN LOADS OF THE 77 ISSUE-MIND YOU I SOLD MY DEMO(QUITE RARE) WHEN I GOT THE HELPP ISSUE. THE HELPP SOUNDS THE SAME AS THE 77. ANYWAY ROLL ON NEXT WEEK.

Social source share

Never heard of the Helpp version before - what nobodies mentioned yet is the rather awesome ballad flip "Try something new". Have got a 4 track 12" on Gold Soul which features the 2 previously mentioned songs by EB plus 2 others.....

derek

Have also heard that the Garpax version is supposedly slightly different from the later 77 outing.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

OK I THINK THE HELPP IS FIRST-THEN SS7-THEN GARPAX.

THE HELPP & SS7 ARE THE SAME. SO YOU COULD SAY THAT THE SS7 IS THE 2ND ISSUE.

IF SOMEONE COULD EXPLAIN TO ME HOW I GET A PHOTO ON HERE I WILL SCAN MY HELPP COPY AS SOME OF YOU MAY NOT HAVE SEEN ONE.

Social source share

mick

click "add reply"

it should be a couple of rows below this

a new window opens and you should see a replying form

scroll down a bit and you will see a heading

file attachements

hit the browse button

choose the image on your pc by clicking on it and choosing open

click add attachment

enter a few words in the messgae box

then click add reply

suggest trial it with a small image on pc first

Social source share

Guest micksmith

But forget SOTD this is the Eddie Billups you want, i know i do  :rolleyes:

link

Go one buddy...my rarest record perhaps, and a million times better than 'Shake'...

For sale as they all are ;-) Make me an offer!

P.S. Can I call you Trouty?

link

JUST A NICE SOUL RECORD-IT'S ONLY THE RARITY THAT MAKES IT DESIRABLE.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Mick, do they ever call you Mad Mick????

Just a Soul record!!!!! Otrageous statement LOL ;o))))) In my case the rarity i can assure you has nothing to do with the desirability of this awesome slab of (Barely adequate LOL) soul.

John

Social source share

Just about got to the bottom of things.

Still not got a current value on the Helpp issue. :rolleyes:

Mick, What figure would you put on yours, If you were to sell it, which you wouldn't of course!

Anyone else got a current value??

Cheers,

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

For gods sake Jiminie just buy the bloody thing we've already established that you're getting a deal on it just stick your hand on the end of your short yorkshire arm into your super deep pocket and pay the man for the record LOL ;o))))))))))))))))

Sorry Jamie couldn't resist oh my god i tried but in the end i was weak ;o))

Von Trouty (or even Trouty to Bill)

Social source share

For gods sake Jiminie just buy the bloody thing we've already established that you're getting a deal on it just stick your hand on the end of your short yorkshire arm into your super deep pocket and pay the man for the record LOL ;o))))))))))))))))

link

Well, you rude man, I can tell you that I had to borrow a litter-picker from a nice man in the Park to retrieve some pennies from my pockets, have purchased said record and it will be played at our get-together.

I take it your need to put this one to bed accounts for your lack of current vinyl knowledge. :rolleyes:

WHAT IS IT REALLY WORTH?? DOES ANYONE KNOW???? ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest micksmith

Mick, do they ever call you Mad Mick????

Just a Soul record!!!!! Otrageous statement LOL ;o))))) In my case the rarity i can assure you has nothing to do with the desirability of this awesome slab of (Barely adequate LOL) soul.

John

link

hi john-thought that would get you going-anyway if it's not the rarity i can sell you a grapevine issue or demo. and these are not bootlegs.

never been called mad mick-called a lot of other names but not that. people do call me cheap and very reasonable and that i should put my prices up as the "BIG BOYS" do. sh-t i never put my caps on.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I think given that over the last two weeks no one has given you a decenbt answer you can take that as a NO ;o)))

Damn this fast reply with no smilies ;o)))

Trouty

Social source share

Guest micksmith

Just about got to the bottom of things.

Still not got a current value on the Helpp issue. :rolleyes:

Mick, What figure would you put on yours, If you were to sell it, which you wouldn't of course!

Anyone else got a current value??

Cheers,

Jamie

link

[/quote

£250/£300. AND YOU'RE RIGHT IT'S NOT FOR SALE-MICK.

Social source share

link

I resent that remark Trouty (although it wasn't aimed at me) - I'm a Yorkshire lad an'all!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Yeah, well I'm of Dutch descent, so I spose I should be wearing mine then eh Johnners?????  :rolleyes:

link

And sparking Cloggs as well by the sound of it Jamolian

Van Der Trout

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!