Brian Rae

jonbuck

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

come on jon. its a public forum. what else can you add to make it of interest to more than one person?

cheers

Shane

Are you seeing something we're not?

"Brian Rae, Mr Reliable!" is not even a complete sentence. There is nothing to discuss.

Col.

- although I could probably make an anagram of it.

Social source share

think the original post Shane was by pete french (moths in wallet) but for some reason it hasnt shown

Thats right

I sent it twice as well

Anyway

Last Week i posted that Brian Rae was unable to make our Cheltenham Doo last Friday, Due to having to look after his very ill mother.

We managed at the last minute to get Dave Evison to stand in (thanks Dave)

On monday i find out that he appeared in Peterboro on friday in a Resident Spot, Great!

Is this the norm for some DJ's, As I have never had this happen in such a way before, in the Six years of the Cheltenham soul Nights

Pete

Not Amused of Cheltenham

Social source share

Is this the norm for some DJ's, As I have never had this happen in such a way before, in the Six years of the Cheltenham soul Nights

Pete

Not Amused of Cheltenham

i wouldnt say it was the norm but i had same thing when i co promoted upbeat soul club in london

a big dj got a friend to say he was unable to make it and then was seen djing at another venue

flyers cost money to print and we were unable to get more done in time

people were very pissed off to say the least.

the stand in dj played a blinder so i was happy

moldie

Social source share

Pete

Not Amused of Cheltenham

i wouldnt say it was the norm but i had same thing when i co promoted upbeat soul club in london

a big dj got a friend to say he was unable to make it and then was seen djing at another venue

flyers cost money to print and we were unable to get more done in time

people were very pissed off to say the least.

the stand in dj played a blinder so i was happy

moldie

At first i thought it was because of the travellig, But north wales to Peterboro is a tougher drive than it is to Cheltenham

pete

Social source share

Good point :lol:

He was told, and it was advertised as him playing Vinyl

Maybe he didn't have enough :lol:wink.gif

Pete

i offered brian the chance to paint my house

i asked him if he would use vinyl silk

his reply was no cd only :thumbsup:

Social source share

I would send him a bill for the flyers, with a notice to say that he had 28 days to pay, or I would take him to small claims court for the monies.

A booking is just that.

im in total agreement

ive travelled miles to dj knowing im not getting paid

but if you are booked and say yes then you should honour the booking big dj or little dj

Social source share

im in total agreement

ive travelled miles to dj knowing im not getting paid

but if you are booked and say yes then you should honour the booking big dj or little dj

Cant understand why people still book him surely some locals could put cd's on :lol:

When i ran the Central in Cannock with Moss we booked quite a few big name dj's and only one put the numbers up you would be suprised who did not :thumbsup:

Social source share

Cant understand why people still book him surely some locals could put cd's on :lol:

When i ran the Central in Cannock with Moss we booked quite a few big name dj's and only one put the numbers up you would be suprised who did not :thumbsup:

Some of the 'big names' do put the numbers up. But only by having four people with them all carrying a record box each. All of whom expect to come in as a guest of the DJ. More neck than a giraffe some of them.

Social source share

Some of the 'big names' do put the numbers up. But only by having four people with them all carrying a record box each. All of whom expect to come in as a guest of the DJ. More neck than a giraffe some of them.

one of our local events has big name dj,s but they have virtually same numbers no matter who is djing there

big name doesnt always mean big numbers

moldie

Social source share

Thats right

I sent it twice as well

Anyway

Last Week i posted that Brian Rae was unable to make our Cheltenham Doo last Friday, Due to having to look after his very ill mother.

We managed at the last minute to get Dave Evison to stand in (thanks Dave)

On monday i find out that he appeared in Peterboro on friday in a Resident Spot, Great!

Pete

Not Amused of Cheltenham

Have you asked him why this happened???? Instead of coming here and calling him ... maybe he forgot ... he is getting on you know :thumbsup:

Social source share

In November Brian Rae was on the flyers for the nighter at the Adelphi in Sheffield ( the one that got all the flack ) and did not show up.

I think its right that no-show dj`s are named and shamed if they do not have the decency to let the promoter know they are not going which is not much to ask.

Social source share

Have you asked him why this happened???? Instead of coming here and calling him ... maybe he forgot ... he is getting on you know :thumbsup:

Think Mandy is right. Only Brian can tell you why, not everyone else!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Think Mandy is right. Only Brian can tell you why, not everyone else!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Emma. I didn't think it was on that you come on calling people who are not on here to defend themselves... giving out bad publicity for a person or venue is just not on IMO. How would you like it if someone came on here calling you ..... ring the man up and ask him what happened ... it could have been for any one of a thousand reasons :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks Emma. I didn't think it was on that you come on calling people who are not on here to defend themselves... giving out bad publicity for a person or venue is just not on IMO. How would you like it if someone came on here calling you ..... ring the man up and ask him what happened ... it could have been for any one of a thousand reasons :thumbsup:

Like been double booked and had forgot may be he just tossed a coin :thumbsup:

Social source share

Have you asked him why this happened???? Instead of coming here and calling him ... maybe he forgot ... he is getting on you know :yes:

why does someone always churn this statement out whenever someone not on soul source is mentioned?

The promoter isn't likely to come on making comments if he hasn't already got the facts, is he, and if the DJ behaves in this manner then good for him for warning prospective bookers.

Social source share

Good point there from Mr Smith...A lot of time and effort goes into promotions,some more than others... All the flyers have been done and paid for,the so called big name is on the flyer big and bold,he does not turn up????the punters could ask for the entrance money back,then the promoter is up shit creek and he aint done nothing wrong...I would like to know what djs are up to and make sure i dont book any that play this game..Big name djs,i hate that word...

Social source share

why does someone always churn this statement out whenever someone not on soul source is mentioned?

The promoter isn't likely to come on making comments if he hasn't already got the facts, is he, and if the DJ behaves in this manner then good for him for warning prospective bookers.

As a moderator on here I thought that "calling people/venues" who can't defend themselves was fround upon by the management ... gosh I must have got it wrong :yes: Only last week there were posts about Prestwich to which there was a lot of flack going on cos Terry & Lynn could not defend themselves .....

Social source share

As a moderator on here I thought that "calling people/venues" who can't defend themselves was fround upon by the management ... gosh I must have got it wrong :yes: Only last week there were posts about Prestwich to which there was a lot of flack going on cos Terry & Lynn could not defend themselves .....

If you read that post Mandy nobody was attacking them,

Social source share

As a moderator on here I thought that "calling people/venues" who can't defend themselves was fround upon by the management ... gosh I must have got it wrong :( Only last week there were posts about Prestwich to which there was a lot of flack going on cos Terry & Lynn could not defend themselves .....

I see your point also Mandy but people should know when this kind of thing goes on...If nothing is said then some will slag off the promoter and say he just puts so called big names on the flyer to get more punters,its been done before by some :yes: ...This guy was just telling folk on this forum that he aint to blame for the no show and done everything above board...

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

i'd like to ask why anyone would want to go anywhere and hear brian rae, anyway?

you can add dave evison, keith minshull, chris king and russ winstanley (and lots of other 'big names' from the past to that list too).

it becomes a freak show, after a while. what price the first northern soul centenarian DJ, in his bath chair, with ear trumpet: 'this one was a big un at...er....er...what time is it? arthur? arthur? where's me tea?'

not commenting on them as people but i personally don't want a geezer with a bus pass playing records for me.

my opinion, not site's of course.

Edited by Dan
Social source share

I would say Ive seen Brian drive incredible distances to do venues in different parts of the country, He did Hemsby Weekender DJ Friday Night & Sat afternoon, then drove to S Yorkshire to do The Corner pocket in Mexborough saturday night (4 hours each way) then back to Hemsby to do Sunday then back to Wales from Hemsby when he was half way home in |Yorkshire.

However, we all take bookings on a verbal agreement and its taken in good faith, a call a couple of weeks before if you can't make it for whatever reason usually does the trick.

i would say Brian is normally 100% reliable in my book

Pete I will PM you as well

Rob

Social source share

I can see both points but still don't think it's fair ... I for one wouldn't think a promoter would put a "big name" on the flyer (who isn't really gonna be there) just to pull in punters ... that's awful :(

Many times i have seen a more than one flyer/poster with a dj name on it,they can't be in both places unless they go by private jet :yes: ..Sometimes we all have a dj who can't turn up for some reason and the flyers are printed..We can at least tell people on forums like this and have a notice on the door on the night with the djs times and who is playing...

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Just want to say I don't have a gripe with Brian, but just letting everyone know he's not part of the North Wales Soul Mafia, I don't want us North Walians to get a bad name over this. :yes:

Social source share

I would say Ive seen Brian drive incredible distances to do venues in different parts of the country, He did Hemsby Weekender DJ Friday Night & Sat afternoon, then drove to S Yorkshire to do The Corner pocket in Mexborough saturday night (4 hours each way) then back to Hemsby to do Sunday then back to Wales from Hemsby when he was half way home in |Yorkshire.

Rob

Just out of interest and without wishing to cast any Nestertians how old roughly is Brian these days?

Judging by the above he either a) gets paid a lot, cool.gif loses money DJing or c) has a car that runs on methane. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Most people seem to be playing the same records anyway-what difference does it make who's on?

Interesting point this. Without wanting to start the whole OVO debate again this has an effect. We used to travel to hear people because they had particular tracks or even styles we liked or maybe even had just heard about. I think people do this less and less now.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Most people seem to be playing the same records anyway-what difference does it make who's on?

Does putting my name in big font like
JO WALLACE
, make me a big name dj? See y'all down the 100 Club on Feb 25th........where i'll be in normal Ariel 10 point font.......
:thumbsup:

Social source share

JO WALLACE
, make me a big name dj? See y'all down the 100 Club on Feb 25th........where i'll be in normal Ariel 10 point font.......
:D

Jo what makes you a big name in my book is that Simon's comment doesn't apply to you :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest matt tees

JO WALLACE
:ohmy:

And you have big testicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your twin testicle

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Jo, you could put your name in Times New Roman and it would still be worth it!
:D:D

Oh bless, that's so nice - aww
.........I am actually named after a type face
My dad was a printer........so Joanna designed by Eric Gill it was........

And you have big testicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your twin testicle

I've just checked and they're swelling as i type........
:D:D:D
I need to empty the contents soon.......how long until Northampton.......
Can't wait to reveal testicles again -
Jo x

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Jo what makes you a big name in my book is that Simon's comment doesn't apply to you

Ged. what a lovely thing to say
that's only because I haven't got any big records......Can I interest you in the Poets 'She Blew A Good Thing'
:D:D:D
I'll be spinning the usual eclectic mix from my record box on Saturday Feb 25th at the 100 Club.....can't wait

Social source share

Hmmm...

"Caught In A Trap /Swing Low Sweet Chariot" - Jo Wallace and The Testicles on the Big Font label.

Produced by Wallace/Chapman. Arranged by The Right Hand Man. A "Side by Side" production.

Social source share

Totally understand why your'e peeved and disgruntled Pete - and with due cause but I think there's a chance that Brian may be used as a scapegoat for those that may be more vindictive or care free and without guilt when conducting this crime. I'm biased coz he was one of my hero's in the 70's when I started out but I must admit that I wouldn't put myself out to see him even when he was on at Bisley recently for the two reasons stated by Simon (same old) and various others (CD's).

He's always struck me as a nice fella and it was a thrill to have down in Portsmouth for the after party after Once upon a time in Wigan but I too would be riled if he was in P'boro DJing as you stated. Just sorry its happened mate and nothing anyone can do or say will make you feel better - apart from a phone call from Brian explaining all (eating humble pie).

Social source share

i'd like to ask why anyone would want to go anywhere and hear brian rae, anyway?

you can add dave evison, keith minshull, chris king and russ winstanley (and lots of other 'big names' from the past to that list too).

it becomes a freak show, after a while. what price the first northern soul centenarian DJ, in his bath chair, with ear trumpet: 'this one was a big un at...er....er...what time is it? arthur? arthur? where's me tea?'

not commenting on them as people but i personally don't want a geezer with a bus pass playing records for me.

my opinion, not site's of course.

I'll tell you why anyone would want to go anywhere to hear Brian Rae - first of all sounds like you know very little about what you're talking. If it weren't for guys like Brian, Dave, Keith, Steve Whittle (to name but a few) this scene wouldn't be as it is today. They've done it many many years for the love of the music, all will carry on for many more. As for Brian being somewhere else than where people saying he should've been - surely its better to ask Brian his reasons why (as Emma and Mandy have already pointed out!) Its seems people come to there own assumptions pretty quickly before having any facts whatsoever!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!