Ambiguous Or Misleading Ebay Listings- Vote

Guest Trevski

Guest Trevski

Finaly got it to work!!! :thumbsup:

People who list boots/reissues and dont say anything other than give the title,artist, label and condition.

Don't say its original, but don't say it a boot either. To me they are just fishing for the unwary. If no-one bites, or they only get what its worth, tough, If someone pays over the odds because they don't know any better, then take the money. I think an honest description is called for, some people think its ok to do it. Do you agree? disagree?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Finaly got itto work!!!

People who list boots/reissues and dont say anything other than give the title,artist, label and condition.

Don't say its original, but don't say it a boot either. To me they are just fishing for the unwary. If no-one bites, or they only get what its worth, tough, If someone pays over the odds because they don't know any better then take the money. I think an honest description is called for. Do you agree? disagree?

They're bloody chancers hoping to get lucky

Derek

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not sure it's 'wrong' exactly. Saying it's orig when it's not is obviously wrong, but at the end of the day just like with any collectables you have to know your stuff if you're going to buy. I don't think the onus is on the seller to give you all the information you need, otherwise we'd all be experts. I'm sure the antiques market is the same. If you're a person buying something with ambiguous listing do you even care if it's an orig or a boot, or do you even know they exist? You can only be ripped off if you know you've been ripped off surely?

I sound dead unethical, but this is a tough question i reckon. When i've paid over the odds and later see the same thing cheaper i just put it down to my lack of knowledge and try to do better next time. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Theres a link to the/ what is a rare record/ discussion here somewhere!

some boots of "supposidely" rare sides have turned out to be quite rare in there own right

Many at the time and even now can be the only way to get that certain copy to

play under a needle unless its no problem to shell out £*8*$1000000 zzzquids

to own the ONE!

Just a while ago i saw a copy of Del-Larks Job opening make £50

and i thought IMO the buyer had done Ok,

I dont know how many were pressed up on the blue but couldnt have

been enough to satisfy everyone now could it?

and if i remember copies dissapeared faster than a rat up a drainpipe!!!

It is 25+ years old and the guy had looked after it all that time !!

So hey

Soul Sounds were Top pressings done really well and satisfied many of us!

There are boots where particular recordings were the first instance of been put to vinyl !!

making them in a sense the first copy.

But thankfully theres alot of good quality records out there on original labels

at reasonable prices to amass a fair collection without breaking the bank.#

Or having to hide behind curtains cause the landlord wants his rent

cause youve spent it on otherthings! NAUGHTY.

Deffinate Divorce Territory.

If you are going to shell out ££££sss for one you really need to do your homework

Just makes sense + it improves your knowledge of the records and subject

Just a thought though-

The unsrupulous seller is trying to get the best for himself while

at the same time the buyer is after a bargain too!

Its just Life really

The more you experience the Knocks that happen

The better prepared it SHOULD make you the next time around.

Am i Preaching again wheres me collar!

Bottom line is that at one time or another weve all(probably) bought boots thinking

it was the real deal. And it does bring you down especially if

youve lost big time ,

Its just part of it / It has its place/ they will allways be there and

they will allways have a value,others more so!

Tell you what i would sooner young lads were DJing Boots at my Local

If its all that they can afford,but they are willing to haul PAs and get something going

and give all those who have never heard more than a handfull if any

of these records,a taste of what theyve missed either through not being born early enough or

having the exposure of the sounds,

than listening to alot of todays manufactured highly pushed crappy tunes

boy band girl band shite (Sorry!) that gets played,

You see nothing has changed when it comes to the real soul

Boy still meets Girl ,

All the same posible emotions from that point on are still there

Loves still real (even if it may be more one sided)

All the permutations tackled of relationships through the different decades

By these wonderful artists and producers have been and was done better

Than the over technicologigalllylilly productions of today!

and a good record that you love now can come back to haunt you?

you know its a good one when it hits you later on and its not so easy to play anymore.

What was the question??

Bloody Hell me Teas gone Cold. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think there are two schools of thought here...

the dealers that KNOW the vinyl they are trying to sell isn't original, but fail to put this in there description - and put the words "ultra rare" etc in title and description, and start the price high - thats WRONG

but those individual sellers that haven't got the time to trawl through variuos websites finding out if that record they bought 20 odd years ago is a boot or not - isn't misleading anyone. They just don't know!

We've sold quite of few a Michaels records on ebay over the last 6 months. Most of these were bought at Stafford for around £3! Some have been boots, but most have been real. Unless we're certain then the description is left "ambiguous". It is then up to the buyer to contact us and ask any questions he/she has - though to be fair we would always give a refund if a record turned out to be a boot, and not the real deal!

I think most UK sellers would do the same - as for those Americans ... its definately buyer beware

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I think there are two schools of thought here...

the dealers that KNOW the vinyl they are trying to sell isn't original, but fail to put this in there description - and put the words "ultra rare" etc in title and description, and start the price high - thats WRONG

but those individual sellers that haven't got the time to trawl through variuos websites finding out if that record they bought 20 odd years ago is a boot or not - isn't misleading anyone. They just don't know!

We've sold quite of few a Michaels records on ebay over the last 6 months. Most of these were bought at Stafford for around £3! Some have been boots, but most have been real. Unless we're certain then the description is left "ambiguous". It is then up to the buyer to contact us and ask any questions he/she has - though to be fair we would always give a refund if a record turned out to be a boot, and not the real deal!

I think most UK sellers would do the same - as for those Americans ... its definately buyer beware

Know you would 'do the right thing' Kirsty, Its the ones that KNOW, without a doubt, that its a boot, but don't say, that this is aimed at.

Social source share

Here's another one

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-JOHNNY-C...bayphotohosting

now it's listed as a reissue but it was never reissued on Decca so presumably this is to confuse matters and make people think they are getting an original for the price of a reissue. However if you look at the centre of the record, it looks jagged. So I reckon they've stuck a colour photocopy over the top of a Champion bootleg. Same seller has a reissue of The Ringleaders but again has a picture of the original. Both items have made over £60 so far.

Social source share

Here's another one

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-JOHNNY-C...bayphotohosting

now it's listed as a reissue but it was never reissued on Decca so presumably this is to confuse matters and make people think they are getting an original for the price of a reissue. However if you look at the centre of the record, it looks jagged. So I reckon they've stuck a colour photocopy over the top of a Champion bootleg. Same seller has a reissue of The Ringleaders but again has a picture of the original. Both items have made over £60 so far.

I was just looking at some of the boots on there and the mental prices they are getting (35 quid upwards for LOTS of different ones).

What irritates me is people advertising boots as ' rare limited editions' or suchlike.... still, it's the bidders you have to feel sorry for. I can only assume that some people think it is worth paying 50 quid for a 3 quid boot rather than paying 600 quid for a real one because 50 quid is, er, a lot less than 600 quid, and, er, therefore, it's a good, er, deal......

Martin

Social source share