[Rs] roy lee johnson - so anna just love me - josie

Gold Band

Title: roy lee johnson - so anna just love me - josie
Artist: roy lee johnson
Track: so anna just love me
Label: josie

45-965 usa Record information:

roy lee johnson was born on 31 december 1938, in georgia, and started his recording career as a member of the brassettes of hoganville recording for ebb records. some members of the group including johnson joined the ohio untouchables a few years later, his next release was as guitarist and vocalist for piano red, mr moonlight the flip dr feelgood, which was famous as a beatles, cover. after the success of dr feelgood johnson went solo for the label that issued it, columbia, and cut a couple of sides for their okeh subsidiary, followed by three for the main logo. most of these are r & b based soul, but johnsons high powered vocals and excellent song writing skills be it for soul, r n b, blues or doo wop all had there parts to play in a wide ranging musical career be it in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s or the nineties. the following track roy lee johnson - so anna just love me was originally released on (josie 965) in 1966 but was also released 3 years later in 1969 for the uk market on (action 4518) only half a track put up before so here it is in its full glory.

refosoul image

Social source share

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

The Deadwax delta on the two monarch presses above denotes that "SO ANNA JUST LOVE ME" is the A Side, same as the UK Action.

DELTA # 64536 = December 1966. So both appear to be promoted at the same time.

The Deadwax for each press is identical and holds no other clue as to when they have changed both "A" & "B" as the "PLUG SIDE".

However; there is a STAMPED "A" under the "Bell Sound" STAMP on the Vinyl BOOGALOO #3 "PLUG SIDE" copy .

Which sort of suggests that it may have been the 2nd run at the pressing plant as the promoted side.

I wonder which side had the most airplay back in 1966.

• Helpful 1
Social source share