What Other Music Floats Your Boat?

Basically nothing, just can't stand rock, rap, classical, anything played on Radio 1..................I am alone in? or do the vast majority of peeps on this website feel the same, can't even listen to Madonna :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 144
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Basically nothing, just can't stand rock, rap, classical, anything played on Radio 1..................I am alone in? or do the vast majority of peeps on this website feel the same, can't even listen to Madonna :lol:

Should read Am I alone? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Nick Drake

Tim Hardin

Kinks

Faces

weller

Stephen Fretwell

ska/rock steady/roots

who

stones

blues/jazz

Ted Hawkins

Joni mitchell

Dylan

PLus much more...Room for it all..

I like Ska & Reggae too, but when I watch programmes like The Brits I just can't into get today's popular :lol: music

Social source share

I like Ska & Reggae too, but when I watch programmes like The Brits I just can't into get today's popular :lol: music

That should read "get into" (typing's not what it used to be) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Shane, who was the singer you were telling me about a while back? Local to you I think, you had a link to his song/video? :lol:

richard hawley - brilliant!

Social source share

Looking down my CD rack, Neil Young, AC/DC (with Bon Scott), Teenage Fanclub, The Jam/Weller, Buzzcock/Clash/Pistols, blues, modern jazz, Black Sabbath, Crosby Stills and Nash, Spiritualized, Beach Boys, Walker Bros, Spacemen 3, Dinosaur Jr, Lemonheads, Mighty Lemon Drops, Jesus and Mary Chain, Small Faces, Rod Stewart (early), Kinks (early)...the list is endless. But soul music first and foremost.

Social source share

richard hawley - brilliant!

Thanks, will have a look :lol:

Don't find much in the charts I like (mind you, don't really listen to Radio 1 etc so most of the time don't know what's on there anyway).

Mostly listen to soul in its various forms, and bits of jazz, blues, 80s/90s indie (when I want to feel like a teenager again :ohmy: ), very occasional bit of classical (got particular favourites but most of it brings back nightmares of music college :lol: ).. odds and ends of other things :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I collect a whole range of genres and styles....my great passions are

Avant Jazz

Doo-wop

Girl group and Spectorlikes

Gospel / Blues

Krautrock

60's Brit Folk

Latin

60's /70's oddball pop

Hillbilly

+ many more

I'm ADDICTED !!

Some of my favourite recording artists include :

Scott Walker / John Coltrane / Jacques Brel

Randy Newman / Fred Neil / Pharoah Sanders

Neu! / Gram Parsons / Charles Mingus /

Social source share

Anything and everything, really. Just as long as it's made with feeling and passion and the care of a craftsman.

'the care of a craftsman'? this isn't woodwork, sweens old bean.

some of the best music ever made is spontaneously thrown together by a few lads (or girls) in recording studios the size of lifts.

the care of craftsmen? are you secretly into genesis and yes?

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Love Hard House and Techno

The Age of Love by Jam n Spoon is a TUNE :thumbsup: ,

Collect Noom,Harthouse,tinrib,and loads more

And it goes without saying that i love Ska n Reggae helped compile Trojans mod reggae boxset with me mate Dave Edwards

Also love 50s 60s Rnb,modern jazz,latin,spagetti western soundtracks,bacherach n david

Bowie n Bolan

My old man is a jazz musician,plays the trombone and was playing the 100 club in the 60s n 70s with chris barber and the colin symons jazzband thats where i must of got my love of music from

Al H :lol:

Al H

Social source share

Guest stromberg

there are other styles of music that I paid some attention with varying intense over the last 14 years or so..

punkrock

latin

jazz

some hip hop

ska/ reggae

5ts and early 6t's r&b, although this is a well represented musical era on the northern scene nowadays..

classic pop stuff, the occasional chart hit.

I'd say if it grabs you in some positive way, it doesn't matter, what style it is..

But the pleasure you get from listening to a soul record, that you really love, certainly is incomparable, I guess the majority of you will agree :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Stefan

Social source share

'the care of a craftsman'? this isn't woodwork, sweens old bean.

some of the best music ever made is spontaneously thrown together by a few lads (or girls) in recording studios the size of lifts.

the care of craftsmen? are you secretly into genesis and yes?

Good God no! Never really understood 'Prog' I'm afraid, other than as a sleeping aid. Technically proficient, yes, passionate? no.

Spontaneity has it's time and place.

Social source share

I love British 60 Ts pop music (small faces, yardbirds, procul harlem , kinks & most of the mersey beat sounds) Had a flirt with prog rock in early 70 Ts & I still love Bowie's Hunky Dory & Ziggy Stardusts L.P.s I never liked punk or heavy metal.I like male vocalists. I love Scott Walker & don't laugh, Matt Munro. I've been ridiculed for spelling Otis's surname wrong, so I appologise in advance if I've made any other errors such as admitting to liking dear old Matt. :lol: Regards Ada p.s good question

Social source share

50's & 60's pop....Crooners....and...wait for it....

TECHNO & TRANCE

BRAINBUG-NIGHTMARE...

FAITHLESS-INSOMNIA...

DARUDE-SANDSTORM

Quite like Classical Chillout stuff eg. William Orbit & Moby

Also quite into synthesizer stuff ....kraftwerk, art of noise, jean michelle jarre

bet that shocked ya !!! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I love British 60 Ts pop music (small faces, yardbirds, procul harlem , kinks & most of the mersey beat sounds) Had a flirt with prog rock in early 70 Ts & I still love Bowie's Hunky Dory & Ziggy Stardusts L.P.s I never liked punk or heavy metal.I like male vocalists. I love Scott Walker & don't laugh, Matt Munro. I've been ridiculed for spelling Otis's surname wrong, so I appologise in advance if I've made any other errors such as admitting to liking dear old Matt. :ohmy: Regards Ada p.s good question

"Procul Harlem" is that when Robin Trower went "ghetto"........ :thumbsup::lol:

Procul Harlem could be a good name for a soul act......

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

the contents of my mp3 player tell the story .... loads of r'n'b and mod ...but also everything from britney spears , through bodyrockers , les mccann and eddie harris , all the way to green day live and alice in chains with a little anthrax and public enemy thrown in ..oh yeah and wanted by the dooleys :lol:

i occasionally de-soul myself when i go for weeks with listening to no soul at all so i'm gagging for soul when i go out

Davie

Social source share

All the usuals.... Apart from Soul....

Rhythm & Blues, Funk, Jazz, Who,Stones,Small Faces, Humble Pie, Faces, Beatles,Kinks,Action,Jam, Style Council,Solo Weller, Slade, Sex Pistols, Clash, X-Ray Spex, New Order, Stone Roses,Happy Mondays,Black Grape, Primal Scream, Oasis, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Mamas & Papas, Lloyd Cole, Psychedelic Furs, Comsat Angels, Aztec Camera, Associates, Big Audio Dynamite, Orange Juice, The Cure, Roxy Music, Bowie, Led Zep, Doors, U2, Sheryl Crow, Texas, Stereo MC's,Faithless, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky,Mozart,Wagner.....

All to a greater or lesser extent and depending on my mood / state of mind! :lol:

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

"Procul Harlem" is that when Robin Trower went "ghetto"........ whistling.gif:wicked:

Procul Harlem could be a good name for a soul act......

Again I stand chastised for my spelling. Whilst here I'll point out that Munro is spelt Monro before anyone else does. Good night, I'm going to bed. Ade p.s. Wasn't Robin Trower offered to replace the lead guitar in Cream or the Stones or some top band? Edited by marchja
Social source share

Again I stand chastised for my spelling. Whilst here I'll point out that Munro is spelt Monro before anyone else does. I just want to be alone like your namesake.

:wicked:

not to worry marchja, richard is rubbish at maths :lol: he told me he was 6ft 4" and weighed 17 stone whistling.gif

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

The Action

The Animals

Smiths

Beach Boys

Beatles

Small Faces

Johns Children

Country Joe & the Fish

Santana

Yardbirds

Hollies

Roy Orbison

Byrds

Jimi Hendrix

Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers

Troggs

Specials

Kinks

Rolling Stones

The Who

The Eyes

Them

The Jam

Squire

Elvis

Walker Brothers

Social source share

Apart from soul/funk/r&b :

Jazz, mostly female vocal.

Rock, from japanese neo-psych to norwegian noise-music and beyond. I mostly find the traditional bands too boring. The music needs to have some kind of groove... or soul.

Electronic music, blip-blop style. 80's synth and industrial. And most of all electro-acoustic styles.

Classical, all kinds.

Social source share

The Action

The Animals

Smiths

Beach Boys

Beatles

Small Faces

Johns Children

Country Joe & the Fish

Santana

Yardbirds

Hollies

Roy Orbison

Byrds

Jimi Hendrix

Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers

Troggs

Specials

Kinks

Rolling Stones

The Who

The Eyes

Them

The Jam

Squire

Elvis

Walker Brothers

No Pet Shop Boys whistling.gif

Social source share

None!

Tried over the years to listen to other forms of music, but every night without fail its at least an hour of Northern and Motown for me. The harder I try to listen to other music the less I like it.

Same here, although for some reason I do quite like Maori & Greek music :yes:

Social source share

weird. while i thought i was a hard core scooterist i hated the pet shop boys. but five years or so ago i had an epiphany and realised they're brilliant, or at least their melodies are very good, along with new order and other (mainstream) electronic bands (incluing electronic).

but soul is the house - all the rest is just wallpaper.

Social source share

Guest heikki 2

soul music in its all forms being the main interest, but have liked many styles of music through the years. most recently been into (alongside of soul + raw hard funk of course): early belle & sebastian, liekki (a finnish 'indie' band), art blakey, john coltrane + other 'basic' modern jazz, acid house, 'post disco' productions by larry levan such as gwen guthrie - seventh heaven, mid 9ts stuff on ninja tune and mo' wax, iggy and the stooges, minimalist piano music such as eric satie (very relaxing on sunday afternoons after heavy saturdays out).

olof, cheers for the sibelius quote! :yes: haven't been listening to classical stuff for ages except for piano stuff.

Edited by heikki 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert