Golden World Unreleased Lacquers?

Sharlow45

I have been helping my friend Ed Wolfrum go through his record collection and selling some of his stuff on ebay for him. I was going through his stuff with him yesterday, and we came across two lacquers of what I think are unreleased tunes:

Pat Lewis "Mommy Oh"

Debonaires "One Who Loves You"

I wanted to see if anybody on this forum had ever heard of these tunes or could confirm that they were not released. The lacquers only had the titles on them and not the artist names. We are pretty sure that the "Mommy Oh" lacquer is Pat Lewis and that the "One Who Loves You" is the Debonaires. I think the "One Who Loves You" track is the same song that Darrell banks did a version of - "I'm The One Who Loves You".

Any help?

Scott

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have been helping my friend Ed Wolfrum go through his record collection and selling some of his stuff on ebay for him. I was going through his stuff with him yesterday, and we came across two lacquers of what I think are unreleased tunes:

Pat Lewis "Mommy Oh"

Debonaires "One Who Loves You"

I wanted to see if anybody on this forum had ever heard of these tunes or could confirm that they were not released. The lacquers only had the titles on them and not the artist names. We are pretty sure that the "Mommy Oh" lacquer is Pat Lewis and that the "One Who Loves You" is the Debonaires. I think the "One Who Loves You" track is the same song that Darrell banks did a version of - "I'm The One Who Loves You".

Any help?

Scott

Hi

Any chance of you posting sound files of the 2 tracks?

Maybe the "Mommy Oh" is the same track as "Daddy Oh" with slightly different lyrics?

cheers

Paul

Social source share

Hi

Maybe the "Mommy Oh" is the same track as "Daddy Oh" with slightly different lyrics?

cheers

Paul

I've asked Ed to send me some sound clips. He's always pretty concerned about copyrights, so we'll see if he is OK with it.

Who sang Daddy Oh?

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I've asked Ed to send me some sound clips. He's always pretty concerned about copyrights, so we'll see if he is OK with it.

Who sang Daddy Oh?

Put some 'drop outs' in them or make them 20 sec clips if you're concerned. Are the labels plain or do they indicate that they are from Golden World? Jo

Social source share

Hi

cheers

Paul

OK, so it turns out that the Mommy Oh record was indeed Theresa Lindsey's Daddy-O. Here is an .mp3 clip of the "One Who Really Loves You" record. Let me know if you guys know what this is.

The One Who Really Loves You

Scott

Social source share

Don't know that track. Funny how the backing vocalists are so distant...

Yeah, the backing vocals are waaay back there. This track seems to bite a little bit off of the Mary Wells "The One Who Really Loves You" record on Motown. The tune is way different and the lyrics are mostly different but yet this track does share the you "better wake up before we break up" line that the Mary Wells tune has??

Social source share

Guest musicden786

Yeah, the backing vocals are waaay back there. This track seems to bite a little bit off of the Mary Wells "The One Who Really Loves You" record on Motown. The tune is way different and the lyrics are mostly different but yet this track does share the you "better wake up before we break up" line that the Mary Wells tune has??

You may be listening to one of the very early experimental recordings using an accoustic echo chamber.

A good number of disks, like the one shown, were brought into the country in the early sixties. Some say that Diana Ross features on one of these Golden World recordings.

If it is accoustic echo chamber music, the recording was probably made in New York, which is were the first experiments took place.

A typical recording, using the echo chamber, is The Reflections on Golden World GW 20.

Hope this adds to the interest.

Denis.

Social source share

You may be listening to one of the very early experimental recordings using an accoustic echo chamber.

A good number of disks, like the one shown, were brought into the country in the early sixties. Some say that Diana Ross features on one of these Golden World recordings.

If it is accoustic echo chamber music, the recording was probably made in New York, which is were the first experiments took place.

A typical recording, using the echo chamber, is The Reflections on Golden World GW 20.

Hope this adds to the interest.

Denis.

Not to be contrary, but no. unsure.gif These are Ed Wolfrum's lacquers. Ed wasn't working at Golden World when Joanne and Ed were cutting sessions in New York at Bell Sound and Mirasound. This lacquer was cut on the Golden World lathe by Ed in 1965/1966 while he was working there. Golden World was not cutting its own master lacquers until the studio in Detroit was built in May of 1965. There's no way that any of these lacquers were brought into any country in the early 60s as you wrote. And furthermore, United, Motown, and Golden World all had "acoustic echo chambers" in the mid 60s. Motown had two, Golden World had one, and United had two.

I've got a .wav copy of that Diana Ross "My Dear Heart" recorded at Golden World from Ed. I wouldn't be surprised if it came off a lacquer of this type. Who ever has that lacquer has got a sweet record. I doubt that it is early 60s. It probably got recorded during the Golden World's/Myto's/Ric-Tic's transition period into Gordy's ownership. Wolfrum had pictures of Diana Ross at Golden World from that period. Regardless, sweet track.

Scott

Social source share

I've got a .wav copy of that Diana Ross "My Dear Heart" recorded at Golden World from Ed. I wouldn't be surprised if it came off a lacquer of this type. Who ever has that lacquer has got a sweet record. I doubt that it is early 60s. It probably got recorded during the Golden World's/Myto's/Ric-Tic's transition period into Gordy's ownership. Wolfrum had pictures of Diana Ross at Golden World from that period. Regardless, sweet track.

Scott

Would I have heard this out? Someone said it might be Barbara Mason but vague in my mind unsure.gif

Social source share

OK, so it turns out that the Mommy Oh record was indeed Theresa Lindsey's Daddy-O. Here is an .mp3 clip of the "One Who Really Loves You" record. Let me know if you guys know what this is.

The One Who Really Loves You

Scott

Well, things are getting even more interesting. It looks like the other unknown lacquer might not be Theresa Lindsey after all. Ed emailed to say that he talked to Pat Lewis, and Pat Lewis remembered recording a track called Mommy-Oh. And now that I listen to the lacquer clip and Theresa Lindsey's released Daddy-O, I notice that they are definitely different performances on the vocals, but they are soooo damn close. I have a hard time believing that they are separate performers on the two takes. But after listening to a bunch of Pat Lewis stuff on soulclub.org, I must admit that Theresa and Pat sound very similar. Here is a clip of the lacquer titled "Mommy-Oh":

Mommy-Oh

Here is a link to soulclub.org where you can listen to Theresa Lindsey's Daddy-O that was released as a Golden World B-Side:

https://www.soulclub.org/cgi-bin/alpha?s=T

Listen to them both side by side. What do you think?

Social source share

Well, things are getting even more interesting. It looks like the other unknown lacquer might not be Theresa Lindsey after all. Ed emailed to say that he talked to Pat Lewis, and Pat Lewis remembered recording a track called Mommy-Oh. And now that I listen to the lacquer clip and Theresa Lindsey's released Daddy-O, I notice that they are definitely different performances on the vocals, but they are soooo damn close. I have a hard time believing that they are separate performers on the two takes. But after listening to a bunch of Pat Lewis stuff on soulclub.org, I must admit that Theresa and Pat sound very similar. Here is a clip of the lacquer titled "Mommy-Oh":

Mommy-Oh

Here is a link to soulclub.org where you can listen to Theresa Lindsey's Daddy-O that was released as a Golden World B-Side:

https://www.soulclub.org/cgi-bin/alpha?s=T

Listen to them both side by side. What do you think?

Deffo Terry Lindsey!

Social source share

I always thought it was Barbara Mercer but was played 'covered up' as Diana Ross

Great tune! :thumbsup:

cheers

Paul

That`s what I thought, Dean Anderson played it. So is it DR all along? Sounds better than her :unsure:

Tom.

Edited by 50box
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!