Geoff Green's 60th Birthday Bash

Guest AudraT

It's our very good friend Geoff's 60th birthday on the 4th March.

Many of you will know Geoff through Soul Source, KTF or from the London northern soul scene.

It's being held at The Soul Bar on Saturday 4th March - 300 Hoe Street, Walthamstow - starts at 7pm until late.

Lots of Geoff's friends will be DJ'ing.

There will be food, drinks, good music and good company.

We hope you will be able to join us - everyone is welcome!

post-2184-1140296579_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to this Geoff, the bar were ready a month in advance. When I popped in on the 4th Feb, they were all set up and raring to go. Turned out they put both 4th Feb AND 4th March in their diary. If only we'd known, could have had two knees ups! Hoping to get the fella down for this, may need supporting home.

Guest Pete Bennett

Many of you will know Geoff through Soul Source, KTF or from the London northern soul scene.

It's being held at The Soul Bar on Saturday 4th March - 300 Hoe Street, Walthamstow - starts at 7pm until late.

Can't wait to see the old guy thumbsup.gif

Let's make it a good one for him folks. As we all know Geoff is one real gentleman.

Looking forward to this Geoff, the bar were ready a month in advance. When I popped in on the 4th Feb, they were all set up and raring to go. Turned out they put both 4th Feb AND 4th March in their diary. If only we'd known, could have had two knees ups! Hoping to get the fella down for this, may need supporting home.

:wicked: - don't you just love this venue :wicked:

Saw Geoff a couple of nights ago, wizzing of to the venue with Audra (who may be starting a business co-organising soul birthdays - based on her recent track record :D ).

Anyway, he still has to post up the DJ lineup I said. We don't want people thinking us girls are involved in anything but food (hmmm, that's mainly Audra) and propping up the bar (hmmm, guess I'll have to give you a hand with that Alice).

They're expecting a big turnout - coz it's Geoff thumbsup.gif

m

So do I! Elaine and I are looking forward to it...............

What a weekend this is going to be......our Office Christmas Party on Friday night ohmy.gif I know it's March, but we do it every year!

The mighty Dragons are playing Barnet on Saturday afternoon :thumbsup: Then Geoff's bash at the Soul Bar tongue.gif

So looking forward to a great weekend :yes:

Ps....Don't tell the other half biggrin.gif

Very sad that I will be unable to make this :thumbsup: as would love to help Geoff celebrate his birthday. Have a great birthday Geoff and will catch up with you soon yes.gif

QoFxx

PS Geoff, the BOD CD's are going in the post tonight.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, I am really looking forward to it. Thanks to Audra and Martin for arranging it.

Maria asked about DJs. Well Arthur Fenn will be there and hopefully can be persuaded to play some of his superb collection, I can think of several I'd like to hear. And all my London soul mates are doing spots as well: MartinT, Mac, Dave Greenhill, John Stubbs, RBMan and possibly Andy Faulkner. Hope I haven't missed anyone but I am all over the place today. I think the Stow-A-Way ladies are having a well-deserved rest that night.

The soul scene has kept me going over the last few months and I am looking forward to seeing my friends and listening to the music we all love.

Anyone going from my way - ie via Gt Cambridge/North Circular? North to East

(I dont mind driving - just need someone who knows where they are going!!)

Guest AudraT

me and janine looking forward to this - we like parties :ohmy:blush.gif

So do I, but unfortunately can't drink this weekend as on antibiotics - again!

Which hotel did you book?

Audra

Check your pills Audra - a lot of antibiotics you can drink on nowadays :-)

We booked the Holiday inn - walthamstow road (or street) what Hoe Street turns into. less that 2 mils from the do :-))

Moi aussi :unsure:

(That's French for the uneducated amongst us :rolleyes: )

Does anyone know if there is a cab office within easy walking distance from the Soul Bar?

Gene - can drive you to one, if not one walking distance :unsure::rolleyes:

Thats a shame Simon, not see you in ages.

Im sure we can get the bar to book cabs if they are needed Saturday night, but im sure we can get lifts back to the hotel

Hi Guy's should be at the Soul Bar by 8ish, just got to brave Holloway Road :yes:

Looking forward to a good ole Soul knees up blush.gif

Gene the cab office next to the station is very reasonable :yes:

Geoff any special requests?

Guest in town Mikey

Have a great night guys.

If I manage to make it up to prestatyn Geoff the first round is on me! (the rest are on you lol)

Guest glocky478

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, I am really looking forward to it. Thanks to Audra and Martin for arranging it.

Maria asked about DJs. Well Arthur Fenn will be there and hopefully can be persuaded to play some of his superb collection, I can think of several I'd like to hear. And all my London soul mates are doing spots as well: MartinT, Mac, Dave Greenhill, John Stubbs, RBMan and possibly Andy Faulkner. Hope I haven't missed anyone but I am all over the place today. I think the Stow-A-Way ladies are having a well-deserved rest that night.

The soul scene has kept me going over the last few months and I am looking forward to seeing my friends and listening to the music we all love.

Sorry i can't make it tomorrow Geoff.

Hope you have a great time and I'll see you at the next Soul in the City

cheers

Dave Glock blush.gif

This the batting order for tonight (this is for information for those who are playing - as obviously we're all going because it's Geoff's birthday and who is playing what is not really the issue!) If anyone is missing from the list please drop me a PM or email martinmthomson@yahoo.co.uk and I'll re-jig it.

7.00 - 7.45 Martin Thomson

7.45 - 8.30 Martin Ainscough

8.30 - 9.15- John Stubbs

9.15 - 10.00 Dave Greenhill

10.00 - 10.45 Mac

10.45 - 11.30 Andy F

11.30 - 12.30 Arthur Fenn

The bar actually stays open much later that this but they will want to put their own DJ on from 12.30am. However. if any of you are hankering to stay on to drink until 5am, then you can!

Hope lots of you can make it, and see you tonight.

regards

Martin

Edited by martint

revised timings, Arthur has very kindly agreed to do an earlier spot as several people have said they can't get there on time for the spots posted earlier so get there early!

7.00 - 7.45 Martin Thomson

7.45 - 8.30 Arthur Fenn

8.30 - 9.15 Martin Ainscough

9.15 - 10.00 John Stubbs

10.00 - 10.45 Dave Greenhill

10.45 - 11.30 Andy F

11.30 - 12.30 Mac

See ya later

Sorry can't make it Geoff (not sure if I explained lst Saturday or not), which is a total pain as it's right on my doorstep.

Following on from our conversation on the Five Stairsteps, theres a good thread under 'look at your box' - about a couple of weeks old now.

Have fun

Dave

Edited by dkd

It was great to see many people get together to help Geoff celebrate his 60th birthday. Thanks to Geoff for asking me to play a few of my collection in such esteemed company....I never thought when I came back to our scene 5 years ago that I would get to DJ between Martin Thomson and Arthur Fenn. ph34r.gif

Many thanks to all who put in the hard work to orgainse the night.

This is what I played:-

Edwin Starr....My Weakness Is You,,,,Gordy

Darrell Banks....Somebody (Somewhere) Needs You.....Revilot

Lou Johnson....Unsatisfied....Big Top W/D

Little Sony.....Wade In The Water...Enterprise

The Valentinos.....Sweeter Than The Day Before.....Chess

John Lee Hooker.....Think Twice Before You Go......Bluesway

Barbara Lynn....Second Fiddle Girl......Jamie W/D

Ike and Tina Turner.....Dust My Broom....TRC

Z Z Hill....Gimme, Gimme.....Kent

Jimmy Robins....I Can't Please You.....Jerhart

Jimmy Holiday.....The New Breed......Diplomacy

Ray Charles.....Sticks and Stones....HMV W/D

Darrow Fletcher.....The Pain Gets A Little Deeper....Groovy

Eddie Holland.....Candy To Me....Motown

Four Tops .......Something About You....Motown

Barbara Lynn......Oh Baby.......Jamie

Louise Brown.....Son-In-Law.....Witch

Soloman Burke......Stupidity......Atlantic W/D

June Bateman........Possum Belly Overalls....Shaw

Joe Tex......Don't Play.......Checker

Happy birthday Geoff. :shades:

What can I say, I had the most fantastic night last night at my birthday do at the Soul, Hoe Street, Walthamstow.

It was great to celebrate my birthday with so many of my friends and family. Special thanks to Audra and Martin who arranged it all. And thanks to all the DJs, your music was great. You all played loads of my favourites. Decided I am definitely not too old to dance. LOL.

And also thanks to all my friend who attended, it was so good to see you all. It was kind of you to get me presents, honestly didn't expect it.

The food was magnificent. Thank you Gwen and Carmel.

The only downside was Les wasn't with me to celebrate, her birthday was 2nd March, day before mine. But I feel she was with me. Despite her absence it was a night I will always cherish and remember.

However feeling a bit wrecked today.

The photos are great Gene, thanks for taking them.

What can I say, I had the most fantastic night last night at my birthday do at the Soul, Hoe Street, Walthamstow.

It was great to celebrate my birthday with so many of my friends and family. Special thanks to Audra and Martin who arranged it all. And thanks to all the DJs, your music was great. You all played loads of my favourites. Decided I am definitely not too old to dance. LOL.

And also thanks to all my friend who attended, it was so good to see you all. It was kind of you to get me presents, honestly didn't expect it.

The food was magnificent. Thank you Gwen and Carmel.

The only downside was Les wasn't with me to celebrate, her birthday was 2nd March, day before mine. But I feel she was with me. Despite her absence it was a night I will always cherish and remember.

However feeling a bit wrecked today.

The photos are great Gene, thanks for taking them.

Geoff it was a pleasure my friend!

blush.gif

Geoff great stuff blush.gif

I enjoyed doing the last set Martin :huh:

Mainly my usual suspects of floor fillers which even had the non - soulies up! :lol:

See you soon hopefully at SITC :lol:

Mac

Thank you Geoff for a Super evening.....

Music, company and food were great......

Some of those photo's are pretty good too..... The pic's of Karen and I are more than a little suspect... I'm surprised we didn't damage Gene's camera !

The DJ's played some cracking tracks.

Stubby surpassed himself.... His set was Brilliant.... (except for one)...

The whole evening was a Great tribute to you Geoff... I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself....

Lots of Love

Denise xxx