Simon T

• Replies 159
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

BTW I know of a Ree Flores for sale if anyone is interested I can put them in contact with the seller.  He says its an extra £100 if its a rare funk record as well as a played out northern soul oldie. <_<

link

grrr...dont be greedy james :angry: e-mail me at funky_teesha@hotmail.com...first :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

...that's cos' they are both Curtis Mayfield productions. Well, Curtis at least wrote the New World cut. See what you mean about the similarities...in 'tune' at least. I'd have said each where miles apart in actual feel though...maybe just a tempo thing...is Patti Jo that up-tempo? Take a look at that pitch control, mate  :rolleyes:  

One thing I'd think we'd agree on : neither are Northern Soul records  wink.gif   wink.gif

link

Curtis Mayfield "Move On Up" is a northern record, so I'm sure New World would be massive if it was played?!confused.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

How about that Stafford biggie "Use it before you loose it"  wink.gif  

Bobby something on Fania (or something)  :rolleyes:

link

Poor attempt at a James Bond theme tune.

IMVHO of course.

My brother loves a lot of the Latin Stuff. Spanish Maiden all that.

I only like it cos I can nip the the bar or the loo, and not miss a record I am going to like.

Social source share

wink.gif Ah, here we go again, splits, arguments, bitching etc etc. Who says the scenes changed from the old days wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif JTrouble you naughty boy, starting this discussion,lol.

For what it's worth I have no problem with any style of Soul music being played on the scene as long as it fits in and isn't at odds with the stuff played and accepted etc. Hamilton Movement, Rokk, Trace Of Smoke and so on are all great records without question (and Andy Dyson I am sure Sam's spun the track you mentioned at the Plinston where we are a lot more open to new toons!) and all go down a storm with us, alongside other genres such as Latin Soul, R&B and so on.

Playing Funk records that don't fit in would be a disaster and I speak as a one who likes Funk, deep or otherwise. Trying to force or belittle people who feel strongly on this isn't a good idea whatever side of the fence they sit on.

Regarding Ree Flores I first heard this via Rod Dearlove way back in the glory days of Stafford so to me it's a Northern Soul record, I am not interested in what others may class it as, top DJ's or not. Whilst on the subject of the progressive Stafford era am i the only one who recalls that a) it started life as a Modern venue and cool.gif was hated by a HUGE swath of the scene at the time! :rolleyes:

Quality records should be spun, regardless of labels imposed on them and eras. After all, and here I go again!, aren't we SOUL lovers and keepers of the faith, namely unearthing and keeping alive these unknown/forgotten gems?

Let's just get behind great records people - wake up and live.

TheBigO

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

wink.gif Ah, here we go again, splits, arguments, bitching etc etc. Who says the scenes changed from the old days wink.gif   wink.gif   wink.gif JTrouble you naughty boy, starting this discussion,lol.

For what it's worth I have no problem with any style of Soul music being played on the scene as long as it fits in and isn't at odds with the stuff played and accepted etc. Hamilton Movement, Rokk, Trace Of Smoke and so on are all great records without question (and Andy Dyson I am sure Sam's spun the track you mentioned at the Plinston where we are a lot more open to new toons!) and all go down a storm with us, alongside other genres such as Latin Soul, R&B and so on.

Playing Funk records that don't fit in would be a disaster and I speak as a one who likes Funk, deep or otherwise. Trying to force or belittle people who feel strongly on this isn't a good idea whatever side of the fence they sit on.

Regarding Ree Flores I first heard this via Rod Dearlove way back in the glory days of Stafford so to me it's a Northern Soul record, I am not interested in what others may class it as, top DJ's or not. Whilst on the subject of the progressive Stafford era am i the only one who recalls that a) it started life as a Modern venue and cool.gif was hated by a HUGE swath of the scene at the time!  :rolleyes:

Quality records should be spun, regardless of labels imposed on them and eras. After all, and here I go again!, aren't we SOUL lovers and keepers of the faith, namely unearthing and keeping alive these unknown/forgotten gems?

Let's just get behind great records people - wake up and live.

TheBigO

link

Neil I wrote the following on a thread just yesterday:

The main room at TOTW wasnt JUST a 60s newies place. Especially in the early days. You had plenty of oldies, and Robin, Adam, Dave, Richard, all played soul from the 60s to the current day. It is most fondly remembered for the incredible amount of quality 60s stuff discovered, and the other great stuff seems to have been almost forgotten about.

For me, the whole venue was about quality, and also about breaking down barriers between different styles of Northern Soul.

It was later that the 60s mafia had their influence in the main hall. But even then there was still plenty of quality 70s and 80s to be heard.

Back then wouldnt Cheryl Berdell or J Blackfoot or Echo Curtis and especially Glenda Mcloed have been regarded as Funk? Did we still call it Jazz Funk then?

I still think quality modern tunes, be them funk orientated or not can have a place at any soul night, as can, and this may be a little contreversial, records I dont like.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

:rolleyes: Ah, here we go again, splits, arguments, bitching etc etc. Who says the scenes changed from the old days wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif JTrouble you naughty boy, starting this discussion,lol.

Best thread of the month I reckon!

"For what it's worth I have no problem with any style of Soul music being played on the scene as long as it fits in"

Too right.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

There are "broken" drum patterns all over the place, especially during the verses. That is the definition funk. If there's a broken drum pattern, it becomes funky. Play it next to Frank Wilson and then next to any random uptempo late 60s James Brown record and I can assure you that you'll find more resemblence to the latter.

link

I think I can remember all three quite well. Not convinced. Whose definition is this?

Just found this on the web, last column, penultimate paragraph or thereabouts is interesting:

https://www.witchsbrew.co.uk/howdeepisyourfunk.htm

Social source share

I think I can remember all three quite well.  Not convinced.  Whose definition is this?

Just found this on the web, last column, penultimate paragraph or thereabouts is interesting:

https://www.witchsbrew.co.uk/howdeepisyourfunk.htm

link

I wrote that...a long time ago, mind. Fuckin' hell, there's a blast from the past! Thought that one might have been eroded by time by now :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Forgot to mention Broomfield Corporate Jam as a class Funk/Soul toon and one I didn't know I had on one of Kebs Deep Funk collections (and tape!) for years before flipping over it when Uncle Soul Sam (the baldy man, lol) spun it to me.

link

Another quality funk track that Keb, Jason and myself play out and rate very highly.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

"I love her so much it hurts me" has more than a touch of the latin in it and i reckon that has had a few plays here and there ;o)))

Social source share

BTW I know of a Ree Flores for sale if anyone is interested I can put them in contact with the seller.  He says its an extra £100 if its a rare funk record as well as a played out northern soul oldie. <_<

link

How much does the seller want for this? I certainly wouldn't mind having it.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Another particular fave Latinish number of mine although it's not as far as i know had extensive plays on the Northern Scene is Roosevelt & The 7C's - We were always sweethearts - Rondo

John

Social source share

"Pickey's dog? Who are you?"

I'm not keeping my identity secret for any reason other than a bit of fun.... in fact if you ask around on here, there are several people who know/'think they know who I am.... and please spell Pikeys dog right next time you address me :angry:

"There is already funk played at northern nights. :rolleyes: "

A very small percentage granted.... and to be honest, what is played does very little for me.... and I do actually collect Soul Music of many different varieties, tempos and shock horror, the odd Funk record.

"Although I'm sure that because you "promoted Soul and Funk nights in the early 90s that suffered poor attendances" you'll already know all the new records the funk scene has turned up the past few years and you'll be able to back up your buffon like statement that dispite all of the crowded clubs, the 'deepfunk scene is "little more than a slack handful of very vocal, and extremely anal collectors"

I have followed Mr Darges/BBE/Various other compilations.... some great records on there, but not i.m.h.o suited for the Northern Scene. (Apart from the odd Modern Soul track that is slipped in of course).

The main part of my argument (if that's what you'd call it) is the fact that the Funk scene is a smaller scene built around a few clubs in a couple of cities - Why the need for Northern events to book Funk DJs? When there are plenty of very capable DJs already out there (Too many at the moment if truth be told)

Whats a buffon? wink.gif

.... btw winding up the "Funk" crowd is such fun...taking a leaf out of my good friend Mr Mik Parrys book here....

"And if you don't like what's on offer you can always promote your own night, even if it is easier and more fun to moan and cause trouble on message forums. wink.gif "

Nothing is as much fun as moaning, or causing trouble on message boards, but , I already promote a night - a bi-monthly Allnighter featuring 60s Soul and R&B..... yup... those R&B records that the Funk scene have also got stuck into recently....

I've even booked Funk DJs...... but a Funk room without punters might as well be bedroom collectors playing with themselves??? cool.gif

WOOF!

wink.gif

Social source share

"are some people frustrated because no one, or at least very few, really likes funk? Because there is no large scene to play it to? The funk scene not big enough as far as a "career" is concerned? Is this the reason some are moving into northern and rare soul territory?"

That's humourous. A "career" out of playing records at soul nights. lol. You're a funny man. I wouldn't think many 'funk' DJs would be tempted to do it anyway.

*Since you have a self confessed difficulty with words, I'll explain this to you. When I say a career do you think I mean like a professional career, a job? Did you really think that is what I meant? A "career" as in becoming a person subject to the adulation and respect of others, and what other more or less perverse motifs anyone might have for wanting to become a well known DJ nowadays. I know very well that making a living out of djing on the soul scene today is reserved for extremely few, if any.

Being generally disrespectful to a scene one seems to know fairly little about whilst playing very well known northern oldies proclaiming them to be "monsters" of today, and complaining that no one on the northern scene likes music which is not any kind of northern

There's only one person being disrespectful here. cool.gif Who's complaining?

*Yes you are, and I am complaining.

I think I might get back to work now, try not to let your false teeth fall out.%7Boption%7D

*A comment like this, and especially from someone like you, instinctively makes me, hot blooded person that I occasionally am, want to punch and kick all your teeth out so that in the future you will have to be careful not to let your false teeth fall out, then again I expect you'd be able to afford proper titanium implants that screw into the jaw bone instead of settling for the poor mans choice that are prone to falling out. I personally have no false teeth, it is not very common among 29 year olds in Sweden these days. You were very nice, polite and almost timid when I met you recently, why are you such a ****** on the internet? What do you hope to gain? And on a northern soul forum? You being a self confessed beginner with northern soul makes it all rather hard to understand, not to mention ridiculous. I plan on coming over to the UK again quite soon, and I do expect an apology should I run into you. I am not "the enemy".

And about the music, I always believed in honesty and being straightforward, credit where credit is due and all that, and a few tracks were as far as I know played first in a funk context and then spilled over to the soul scene. Hamilton Movement is a pretty good dancer, Rokk is a functional dancer but crap (listen to those vocals, or on second thought, don't), and then what? If there are so many really good "funk" records suitable for the rare soul scene (and especially the northern scene) played by funk DJ's, which are they? Mellow Madness? I kinda like at least parts of it, nice jazz funk type tune, but really?? Or are you thinking of straight funk tracks with lyrics like "Bimsala bim sala bim", or about sweaty chickens, girls on strike and such? Many of the novelty record turkeys I heard played by funk DJ's provided me with a good laugh but not much else, some of them makes northern turkeys like "Danse A La Musique" seem like masterpieces of lasting musical value and historical significance in comparison. I think there might be a place on the northern scene (I keep talking of "the scene", which is of course wrong, since there are many different scenes as far as I see it) for some funkier sounds, but for most I heard so far? Naahh...

And with all these fantastic rare soul (funk?) records around played only by funk DJ's, why on earth have you (presuming that you are a funk DJ) got several very well known tried and tested northern soul classics that you paid top dollar for in your top ten and in your playlists? Why are you and other funkers suddenly raving about various classic northern oldies?!? Seems to me that main direction records are migrating at the moment is the other way, from the soul scene(s) to the funk scene (if there is such a thing in the real world, I am not sure, and even some of the funk scene's members deny it's existence). It seems to me that "we" have a lot more to offer "you" than the other way around. Did funk become boring and are you clinging to a name that defines a genre that is apparently being stretched ever further by the minute? As a soul fan I am very keen on hearing any quality vintage soul tracks I don't already know, be they funky or from within a funk environment or not, I don't care. I listen to your show and try to keep up, and I really like to know. Lastly, I personally often prefer soul from within a funky environment to many of the IMO awful pop records popular on the northern scene, many great records were made by artists who made funk, soul, and even blues and gospel with equal ease. If you or any other "funk" DJ turns up great soul records, I will be the first to congratulate you on your discovery and will be grateful to you for getting to hear new good soul music (BTW, the Barbara Lynn on Love might not be new, but was new to me anyway, quite nice IMO). If you or any other funk DJ have any tracks you feel "we the northern scene" need to hear, then let "us" hear them, and "we" will pass judgement on them. "We" are waiting in anticipation.

To be continued I guess.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

and whilst on the Latin vibe what about the Harvey Averne Dozen 'Never learned To Dance' JOT, class dancer and up there with 'Central Park' (almost 'Ordinary Joe'(ish) in style.

link

Chooon Neil i'd forgotten about Central Park not sure that i know t'other :rolleyes: But most of the HAD has been good stuff cool.gif

JoT

Social source share

Guest micksmith

A:"Ree Flores is the best funk record I own" Butch sept 2004

"Ree Flores is the best funk record I don't own" Ian Wright Aug 2004

Who is Ian wright?

STUART-AND I THOUGHT YOU WAS A GUNNERS FAN.

BUTCH JUST KNOWS HOW TO WIND PEOPLE UP.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I plan on coming over to the UK again quite soon, and I do expect an apology should I run into you. I am not "the enemy".

Come now Christian, behave yourself. Don't take things so personally. :lol:

Out of interest, an apology for what? wink.gif

Social source share

and whilst on the Latin vibe what about the Harvey Averne Dozen 'Never learned To Dance' JOT, class dancer

link

Top Chooon, and very elusive, on me wants list if any wants to give me theirs. Please.

also how about something no where near as rare as H.A.D

Hector Riveria - Do it to me

Love it, was it ray pollard on vocals, cant remember.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I will try and have it on Cd for you at the next plinston should you find yourself t our humble home matey wink.gif

link

That would be great Neil not sure when we are next over but will let you know :lol:

Thanks Bud

Trouty

Social source share

link

Who who who who who who????????????? How much how much how much how much how much how much how much?????????????????????????????? PM me.

BTW wrongly played as a funk record <_< ....NS all the way!

Social source share

The Northern Soul scene was once pioneering in its ability to pull many styles of Soul music together in one night. It gave it an energy and unpredictability that its has since lost. I understand that it still has a magic, but I feel that this is mostly through the nostalgic eyes of an aging crowd (I do not mean this as an insult) .

I'm surprised that when ever "Funk" is mentioned, it gets such short change from lovers of Soul music. I have a modest collection of 45's (1,500approx) Some of which would be called Northern, some Ska/Rocksteady some Jazz and a lot that would be called Funk. I know that all of them are Soul records - records that have been made with and ooze SOUL.

How can so many people that have collected black music for so many years, have such a negative attitude? The clubs that have pushed the scene forward have always playing a great cross section of music, The wheel, The Mecca, TOTW etc. All these clubs have added a spice to the Soul scene and the main reason was music policy. The DJ's pushed new sounds onto the Status Quo (no jokes please) until it hit home with those that had more conservative taste, (I've read that Keb played Tony Gala for nearly six months before anyone danced to it)!!!! I think this is what James is talking about, a lot of funk DJ's play Soulful records with a Funk - That could be Big Daddy Rogers, Delegates of Soul or Mary "Queenie" Lyons. Its this eclectic mix that appears to be missing. I believe, leaving many DJ sets that I've heard at soul nights a bit mono dimensional and lacking the true passion of Soul. Just look at Oslo Souls web site - check the tunes they play and then look how young the audience are.

Social source share

Lillie Bryant - Meet Me Halfway - Tay-Ster demo ! £ 2459

Curtis Lee - Is She In Your Town - Mira demo £ 284

Inspirations - Your Wish Is My Command c/w I'll Take A Chance 'On You - Midas £ 559

Wade Flemons - Jeanette - Ramsel £ 357

Four Sights - Love Is A Hurting Game - That I Can't Win - Shy-Soul £ 227

Vickie Labat - Got To Keep Hanging On - Shagg £ 599

Charisma Band - Ain't Nothing Like Your Love - Buddah £ 366

Chuck Edwards - I Need You c/w Downtown Soulville - Soul City DEMO ! £ 55

Martha and the Vandellas - One Way Out c/w Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone - Tamla Motown test press TMG 621 £56

Willie Darrington - Never Should Have Walked Away c/w Lay - Rav Records £147

James Fountain - Seven Day Lover - Peachtree £307

Rufus Lumley - I'm Standing - Stateside Demo £486

Four Perfections - I'm Not Strong Enough - Party Time £401

Devotions - Do Do De Dop - Nation Demo £1509

Jackie Wilson - It Only Happens When I Look At You - Brunswick demo £179

Various Artists - Greetings To Tamla Motown Appreciation Society - Hitsville U.S.A £149

Jimmy Gilford - Nobody Loves Me Like My Baby - Thelma £176

Annabelle Fox - Lonely Girl - Satin demo £293

September Jones - I'm Coming Home c/w No More Love - Kapp £307

Coco and Ben - Good Feelin c/w See The World (as it is) - Earth World £1322

Jerry Fuller - I Get Carried Away - Challenge £93

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The Northern Soul scene was once pioneering in its ability to pull many styles of Soul music together in one night. It gave it an energy and unpredictability that its has since lost. I understand that it still has a magic, but I feel that this is mostly through the nostalgic eyes of an aging crowd (I do not mean this as an insult) .

I'm surprised that when ever "Funk" is mentioned, it gets such short change from lovers of Soul music. I have a modest collection of 45's (1,500approx) Some of which would be called Northern, some Ska/Rocksteady some Jazz and a lot that would be called Funk. I know that all of them are Soul records - records that have been made with and ooze SOUL.

How can so many people that have collected black music for so many years, have such a negative attitude?  The clubs that have pushed the scene forward have always playing a great cross section of music, The wheel, The Mecca, TOTW etc.  All these clubs have added a spice to the Soul scene and the main reason was music policy. The DJ's pushed new sounds onto the Status Quo (no jokes please) until it hit home with those that had more conservative taste, (I've read that Keb played Tony Gala for nearly six months before anyone danced to it)!!!!  I think this is what James is talking about, a lot of funk DJ's play Soulful records with a  Funk - That could be Big Daddy Rogers, Delegates of Soul or Mary "Queenie" Lyons. Its this eclectic mix that appears to be missing. I believe, leaving many DJ sets that I've heard at soul nights  a bit mono dimensional and lacking the true passion of Soul. Just look at Oslo Souls web site - check the tunes they play and then look how young the audience are.

link

I think the reason so many 'ageing and nostalgic' "northern soul" fans (not "rare soul" fans) jump back in shock to the word funk is for three reasons.

Firstly, and this is ment with the greatest respect, is that they are arrogant, and arguably rightly so, because they have been collecting, listenning and dancing to soul records for longer than someone like myself has been alive. They know what the like, and like what they know. And in their eyes, why should they change?

Secondly, and for me the most important reason, is because there are only two DJs who are ever booked on the "Northern Soul" scene who can present deepfunk in it's soulful relevence.

The first is Keb, who very rarely DJs on the "Northern" scene largely because he's not that interested in it when he is jetting accross the globe to play northern soul records to teenage Jappy girls and twenty something Europeans. Although while DJing at the 100 club last month he showed that 'funk' records work, as they always have done since the 70s but have never been acknowledged as being funk ("Nah mate, that's northern soul that is").

The second DJ is Butch, who will play a mix of Deepfunk, "Norhtern Soul" and "Modern Soul" whenever he DJs outside of the nostalgia driven "Norman Soul" scene in this country. It is of course his position to play what he likes on the "northern soul" scene, and when I asked him that if he believed in what he is doing when he DJs outisde the "Northern Scene" why doesn't he stand tall and play fresh funkier sounds on the "Northern Scene" in a similar way to what I understand happenned at Stafford. His reply, and one that you can't argue with was "because I like to do what I do and I don't need to because I've got fresh northern sounds to play anyway".

And the third reason which I believe to be the biggest problem, is that there are not more than a handfull of DJs in the world who can present funk along side northern and modern in a way that appeals to "northern soul" and "modern soul" fans. The Oslo Soul Experience does it as a collective and their youthfull and enthusiastic crowd is a result of thier skills as DJs and passion as collectors. But how many individual DJs can do it? Maybe 4 or 5 that I know of. Not many of the funk DJs could ever be concidered because most of them play bootlegs and reissues of funk records, let alone northern soul records. And they also have a similar distaste for the "Northern Scene", as the nostalgic northern soul die hards have for the funk scene. And of the handfull of 'funk DJs' that have a passion and belief in northern soul sounds and play all original records, they have enough trouble getting hold of funk originals, let alone dealing with the restrictive prices of rare "northern records" that would be required to present soulful funk in it's correct context and in a manner that would be acceptable and pleasing to the average "northern soul" fan.

And of course, what does it matter anyway? Why should the nostalgic northern scene want to hear fresher funky sounds anyway? And if you like quality progressive soul go to the 100 club or Lifeline. I think it was Andy Dyson who said, there are clubs out there to cater to pretty much ever taste. Although not quite mine, and not quiet for a very large silent minority(proportion?) of soul fan in this country.

Positively negative. :thumbup:

Social source share

"Not many of the funk DJs could ever be concidered because most of them play bootlegs and reissues of funk records"

James I dont understand why you're always saying this. You don't know me but I've been buying records since 1984 - I started to buy Funk in the late 80's, myself and another friend started picking up Crossbronx express/Dynamic Corvetts/Fabouls Souls in 1989. I've not stopped buying I dont deal with many dealers - I just dig. Ask Gerald about Geoff from Gloucester and what records he's got - Geralds tried for about 5 years to get some of the bigger ones. Just becasue we dont travel doesn't mean we aint got them. I respect you're musical taste so much - but you're people skills are rubbish.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Dyson Wrote

Mr bicknell you say the scene is in the shite , which scene ? oldies clubs are busy ( stoke etc.. then you have lifeline niter on with at least 2 of the all time greatest dj's has residents playing as upfront as it gets and great guests ! the upfront scene is in the shite cos the moaning fuckers never show up ! it's there on a plate top venue top jocks and top music,f*** me what does it take to get folk in free blow jobs ??

--------------------

Andy Dyson

Visit my webstie, got to >>Andy Dyson Records<<

Mr Geordie J writes

Andy Couldnt agree more,... mind you a free blow job would be nice.....

Look weve got great DJs knocking around not just big names dave and Bri Pincher Gaz and Russ steele Rory Sykes chris spurr the music these lads play is awesome.... the best in fact, weve had them on frequently at the friendship and we sometimes struggle to get 60 in, but its building. but most people have got closed ears.

Soul is soul whatever age or era it came from I wish people would stop pidgeon holing themselves to the fuckin snake

Geoooordiee J :thumbsup:

PS Andy your websites down something about you havent paid the bill or put 10p in the meter !!!!

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

James,

a scene isn't something that you get yourself in by trying to toss some people's salad and pissing other people off.

If you want to be a DJ and if you think you have good records, then go out, start your own night and create your own scene!

I've been supporting myself with what I'm doing for the last couple of years.

I have people into hip hop, mods, soul people and lots of regular party folks who I atracted to come to my night just with the flyers I put up around town.

I have Marc Forrest, the most serious 60's, northern Soul and ruff R&B collector in Germany coming to my night and he's dancing his ass off, simply because it's soul, it's soulful dance music and he likes it.

As a DJ or promoter, you either create your own scene or you simply won't have one.

This is what I do:

https://www.soulexplosion.de

do your own thing!

Edited by Frank Roth
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Andy Couldnt agree more,... mind you a free blow job would be nice.....

Look weve got great DJs knocking around not just big names dave and Bri Pincher Gaz and Russ steele Rory Sykes chris spurr the music these lads play is awesome.... the best in fact, weve had them on frequently at the friendship and we sometimes struggle to get 60 in, but its building. but most people have got closed ears.

link

Never heard of any of those guy's Geordie what do they play? and where abouts should i look out for them?

John

Social source share

DOES ANYONE ON HERE REMEMBER WHERE THE FUNK SCENE REALLY STARTED,WHERE LOTS OF TODAYS MODERN SOUL AND FUNK TUNES WERE FIRST PLAYED.BLACKPOOL MECCA.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James,

a scene isn't something that you get yourself in by trying to toss some people's salad and pissing other people off.

If you want to be a DJ and if you think you have good records, then go out, start your own night and create your own scene!

I've been supporting myself with what I'm doing for the last couple of years.

I have people into hip hop, mods, soul people and lots of regular party folks who I atracted to come to my night just with the flyers I put up around town.

I have Marc Forrest, the most serious 60's, northern Soul and ruff R&B collector in Germany coming to my night and he's dancing his ass off, simply because it's soul, it's soulful dance music and he likes it.

As a DJ or promoter, you either create your own scene or you simply won't have one.

This is what I do:

https://www.soulexplosion.de

do your own thing!

link

It's a bit odd that this has popped up again. wink.gif

Frank, I think you should read what I wrote, instead of thinking you know what I ment. wink.gif

Social source share

Never heard of any of those guy's Geordie what do they play?  and where abouts should i look out for them?

John

link

the Pincher Twins have been on at the Wilton quite a few times - was on the same bill as em once and believe me, they had some serious shit. also saw them at the old Bishop Auckland Rugby Club doos - them were t'days wink.gif

don't get out much with work these days so I haven't seen them around for a bit?? wink.gif

Social source share

MMMMM Blow jobs now there,s a thought

BLOW JOB TIMES

12-1= ROBBO

1-2=  MICK H

2-3= CHALKY

3-4=ANDY DYSON

4-5 STAR ATTRACTION BUTCH BLOW

5-6= SOUL SAM

6-7 ==ANDY KILLICK

7-8-- ALL THE ABOVE GO HEAD TO HEAD

=======================

BACK ROOM BEAVER EATIN

12-8 IAN C

link

absolute beauty mate.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over - Pye International £ 330

Del Larks - Job Opening ) pt. 1 & 2 - Queen City Demo! £ 4091

Alfie Davidson - Love Is A Serious Business - Sterling Sound N 12" Acetate £ 215

Mary Saxton - Take My Heart - Quality £ 910

Troy Dodds - Try My Love - El Camino £ 859

Trider - Carbon Copy - Coral £ 371

Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man - Midas £ 322

Edwin Star - S.O.S. (Scotts On Swingers) - Ric-Tic demo £ 386

Masquaders - That's The Same Thing - Soultown £ 960

Ernest Mosley - Stubborn Heart - La £ 1364

Kittens - Wait A Minute () c/w Somebody New - Vick £ 407

Thelma Lindsey - Prepared To Love You c/w Why Weren't You - Magic City £ 291

Sam Dees - Fragile, Handle With Care - Atlantic £ 130

Minits - Still A Part Of Me - MGM Sounds Of Memphis £ 307

Mark IV - Signs Of A Dying Love parts 1 & 2 - O T B £ 217

HITSVILLE USA Vol. 1 No. 1 - Clive's Report - Motown Appreciation Society £ 52

Eddie Foster - I Never Knew - In £ 357

Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back On Me - Barracuda £ 389

Fluffy Falana - My Little Cottage - Alpha £ 184

Cautions - No Other Way - Shrine £ 1309

Bobby Sheen - SomethingNew To Do - Warner Bros £ 271

J.P. Robinson - Our Day Is Here - Blue Candle £ 309

James Brown and His Famous Flames - Night Train - Parlophone Demo £ 228

Barbara Lynn - Mellow Feeling part 1 & 2 - Love £ 359

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) - Tamla Motown £ 181

Marvin Gaye - Marvin Gaye - Stateside LP £ 163

O.C. Smith - On Easy Street - Columbia £ 140

Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love c/w I'm Not Worried - Whip £ 359

Edited by Hippo
Social source share

Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over - Pye International £ 330 

Troy Dodds - Try My Love - El Camino £ 859

Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man - Midas £ 322 

Sam Dees - Fragile, Handle With Care - Atlantic £ 130

Bobby Sheen - SomethingNew To Do - Warner Bros £ 271

James Brown and His Famous Flames - Night Train - Parlophone Demo £ 228 

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) - Tamla Motown £ 181

Marvin Gaye - Marvin Gaye - Stateside LP £ 163

link

Fook me....

I think its time to consider selling up!

WOF!

Social source share

I don't think these people really exist, myself.

link

I bid on a record on there and won it for what I thought was the 'right' price, so i'd say they probably do exist.....

And you can probably bet they are the same ones who say they picked the record up for a couple of $s in a detroit basement, just to look like they are a top digger...

WOOF!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert