Track: compared to what
Label: bulldog

uk promo Record information:

see comments for the gen

refosoul image

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone.

Having looked at an old post I notice that this record came out on USA GM label first and then was released in the UK on Ember/Bulldog/Inferno. I would appreciate any information as to when it was released on Greek Melody label as the record label states an Ember recording, would have thought it would have been licensed from USA GM.

Thanks Mick.

P7170132.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mick,

Do you know which take it is? The original on GM was released in US and it's that take that was released originally in UK on Ember. It was then later released on Bulldog with a different (better?) take. That Greek Melody copy is a nice looker eh?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Mick,

Do you know which take it is? The original on GM was released in US and it's that take that was released originally in UK on Ember. It was then later released on Bulldog with a different (better?) take. That Greek Melody copy is a nice looker eh?

Regards,

Dave

Cant be certain Dave but i think its the ember recording very basey sound.yep its a nice looker suprised it was missed on evil bay.Mick :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Guest

Hi everyone.

Having looked at an old post I notice that this record came out on USA GM label first and then was released in the UK on Ember/Bulldog/Inferno. I would appreciate any information as to when it was released on Greek Melody label as the record label states an Ember recording, would have thought it would have been licensed from USA GM.

Thanks Mick.

P7170132.jpg

Thats a looker,nice...........................swap you for my bulldog uk demo allso mintish.whistling.gif

Social source share

Mick,

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

I can remember in the late 70`s trying to order the Bulldog release from the local record shop in Banbury [ Osbournes] in those days they had the big catalog books & it was always listed as available but i never got a copy as it came back as a deleted title.

I did`t know that the US & British releases were different takes, are they vastly different?.

Garv

Social source share

Guest Guest

No thanks Ken,:yes: but thanks for the offer. Wouldn't mind seeing the scans of all the labels it came out on, maybe someone can post. Regards Mick

gallery_1986_2578_14418.jpg

Social source share

Hi everyone.

Thanks Mick.

P7170132.jpg

gallery_1986_2578_14418.jpg

EMBER_EMBS-312a-1.gif

Social source share

I never thought it was a US recording.

When it was first released here it was slated in Blues& Soul (just one *). Some months later it took off at the Torch but Ember seemed to have a distribution problem and no one was able to get it. I had ordered it from my local record shop but no joy. I ended up writing to Ember and they were kind enough to send me a copy. The distribution problem was never sorted and that black label design was shortlived. Actually maybe they ran out of the right colour of ink.

Social source share

When it was first released here it was slated in Blues& Soul (just one *). Some months later it took off at the Torch but Ember seemed to have a distribution problem and no one was able to get it. I had ordered it from my local record shop but no joy. I ended up writing to Ember and they were kind enough to send me a copy. The distribution problem was never sorted and that black label design was shortlived. Actually maybe they ran out of the right colour of ink.

I assume they are the same band as the one of the same name that released an album on Cotillion - thought to be a Long Island NY outfit? Wonder how they ended up recording in the UK if that's actually the case.

Social source share

So could this well be indeed a Ember recording,the plot thickens.Regards Mick.

Social source share

Australian one for you here Mick. I'm sure there's a European issue too ( Germany?)

250088763231.jpg

As for the Inferno release, I remember a 12 inch with a remix of Gloria Jones Tainted Love and some tracks on the flip including Compared... called 6ts House Party or something like that. Not sure about an Inferno seven though. Have we counted the fairly recent Soul City reissue?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi everyone.

Thanks Mick.

P7170132.jpg

Can't quite make out the squiggle above the word 'melody' on the top left. Is it just a design squiggle or does it look like a word in something like an Arabic script?

I ask because if it is a word then it is unusual because it is not in the Greek Cyrillic alphabet. That could mean that it was made in Greece for another market. Of course, if it's just a squiggle...

Social source share

Australian one for you here Mick. I'm sure there's a European issue too ( Germany?)

250088763231.jpg

As for the Inferno release, I remember a 12 inch with a remix of Gloria Jones Tainted Love and some tracks on the flip including Compared... called 6ts House Party or something like that. Not sure about an Inferno seven though. Have we counted the fairly recent Soul City reissue?

Thanks Godzilla like that nice blue copy :D ,as for soul city wacks of them on evil bay so had a good look at them.cheers Mick

Social source share

I managed to get 10 Ember DJ copies from Barry Kingston ( of Spark Records) at the time it was big at the Torch.

Seem to remember selling them for £2.50 a time, because, as you say it seemed to be deleted or unavailable very very soon after release.

Happy days :D

Julian

Social source share

This might help Rigilbert :D

P7190133.jpg

Thanks. It does look like a word, doesn't it - and it's definitely not done in the Greek Cyrillic alphabet. Spent half an hour online trying to see if I could identify the script/language and wonder if it's Arabic, in which case the word reads from right to left. See attached image of the Arabic alphabet - it is possible to make out several, but not all of the characters.

No idea what it means though and I could just be completely wrong - it really might just be a squiggle after all. Any Arabic speakers here?

If it really is a word, you have the puzzle of why a record made in Greece has Arabic (or whatever language it is) on the sleeve...

-c-fd0a8--post-9478-062316900 1279528063

Social source share

Guest john s

Thanks. It does look like a word, doesn't it - and it's definitely not done in the Greek Cyrillic alphabet. Spent half an hour online trying to see if I could identify the script/language and wonder if it's Arabic, in which case the word reads from right to left. See attached image of the Arabic alphabet - it is possible to make out several, but not all of the characters.

No idea what it means though and I could just be completely wrong - it really might just be a squiggle after all. Any Arabic speakers here?

If it really is a word, you have the puzzle of why a record made in Greece has Arabic (or whatever language it is) on the sleeve...

post-9478-062316900 1279528063_thumb.jpg

Greek pressing also sold in the Lebanese market? unsure.gif

Social source share

I started a post asking about the differences in the 3 UK issues a few months back, as they all seem slightly different. IMO the Ember take is the weakest whilst the Bulldog take is a much deeper, heavier sound which makes it far better played out. The Inferno was somewhere between the other two! I did a refosoul entry with clips from all three on it, all recorded at the same time on exalctly the same sound set up:

[rx]66313[/rx]

Social source share

Godzilla your right, there was a German issue on Metrodome I think with picture sleeve.

Got it at home somewhere, will scan up to add to the collection.

Alan

Social source share

Godzilla your right, there was a German issue on Metrodome I think with picture sleeve.

Alan

Thanks Alan love to see it. yes.gif Mick

Social source share

For what it's worth... I noticed the Greek copy shows this side as the 'B' side, whereas the others have it as the 'A' side! rolleyes.gif

Hi John may be she might explain if she is his daughter,its from youtube not sure if its true mind but it does say she lives in usa.Mick

LilyTink1 9 months ago I will have to say thank you all for loving this song. Cuz that is my Dad singing in it. He was about 19 years old when it was recorded back in the early 70's. The B side song didn't make it as a hit but is actually my favorite track on the 45. Unbreakable Toy is the title.

Social source share

Guest Guest

Not banging my own drum or 'owt but personally I think my voice has never sounded better whaddya think Ken?

Nice to see you last Sat at Soulgate...Nij

PS Bulldog cut all the way for me

You right,goes down pretty well in the big room at rugby...............yeh it cool at southgate,save someone let me tyre down i think laugh.gif

Social source share

here's the bulldog issue,also Ray Charle's version is damn good

It is and so is Della Reese version

della reese - compared to what -

ray charles - compared to what -

Social source share

Alan

It's on Metronome not Metrodome. I have a copy somewhere but can't remember where :hatsoff2:

According to my files it was released in 1971 in Germany, what's the release year for the UK Ember one? For security reasons my office PC won't show me the scans posted in this thread.

Social source share

OOOOOOOH! Hang on there are you all telling me that writer of CTW which is outstanding is the singer of Wallk With A Winner? :hatsoff2:

Wikipedia: Gene McDaniels

McDaniels grew up in Omaha, Nebraska, and went on tohave six Top 40 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The two that wentinto the Top 5 were 1961's "Tower of Strength" (#5 on the pop chart) and "AHundred Pounds of Clay," which reached #3 on the pop chart, and sold overone million records,earning gold discstatus.[1]"Tower of Strength" reached #49 in the UK Singles Chart, losingout to FrankieVaughan's chart-topping version.

In the late 1960s, McDaniels turned his attention to a moreblack consciousness form, and his best-known song in this genre was"Compared to What," a jazz-soul protest song made famous (andinto a hit) by Les McCannand Eddie Harris on their album,Swiss Movement, and also coveredby Roberta Flack

Social source share

I'm sure I had a number of releases on the Black label design covering this period 1968-1973, soul reggae & pop, so don't see how the label design was short lived.

Social source share

On 7/23/2010 at 10:42, funkyfeet said:

I'm sure I had a number of releases on the Black label design covering this period 1968-1973, soul reggae & pop, so don't see how the label design was short lived.

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL..I HAVE ASUMED IT WAS RELEASED ON THE (PATCHES RECORD LABEL) 1st, in fact i am sure it was???:lol: DAVE KIL

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Don't mean to sound rude, was too young for The Torch, etc, but can I mention that to me, this record is absolute, unmitigated rubbish? I've got it and I just can't bear to listen to it!

So I don't come across as entirely negative, there is an awesome record on Ember by Carol Woods called, "I Wonder What Will Happen" - beautiful. Anyone know it?

Social source share

Don't mean to sound rude, was too young for The Torch, etc, but can I mention that to me, this record is absolute, unmitigated rubbish? I've got it and I just can't bear to listen to it!

So I don't come across as entirely negative, there is an awesome record on Ember by Carol Woods called, "I Wonder What Will Happen" - beautiful. Anyone know it?

ohmy.gif Unmitigated rubbish!? Compared to what?

...............I'll get my coat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes I've had a copy of Carol Woods, in fact may still have it somewhere, have to dig it out.

Social source share

you're obviously not a dancer then?...gr8 dancer / floorfiller,that's why it's been released on so many labels and by so many artist,says it all,thanx.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

"Obviously not a dancer"? I don't know where you get that from and I wouldn't say that at all. Have got very broad tastes, just have a real allergy to this particular one. Each to their own

Social source share