What Labels Do You Collect?

Harrogatesoul

Apologies if this has been done before ( I'm sure it has ) but ...

What specific lables do people collect ? And how far you getting on ? Small / large labels ?

I'm about to embark on a Stax / Volt / Staellite /Truth etc related collection - always loved this group of labels - interesting to know who else has this ' fever ' ..

ATB

Rich

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What specific lables do people collect ? And how far you getting on ? Small / large labels ?

I'm about to embark on a Stax / Volt / Staellite /Truth etc related collection - always loved this group of labels - interesting to know who else has this ' fever ' ..

ATB

Rich

I started to collect Port, but got bored with it as most of the titles were crap......still was fun while it lasted :yes: I find the whole got to have the whole lable thing a bit to 'collectorish' if you know what i mean......take a look at some of the Tamla collectors all the do is talk in numbers..... here bill have you got TMG 501 :yes: no fun in it what so ever all there doing is chasing a number !! buy somthing that please's your ears :huh:

Social source share

I started to collect Port, but got bored with it as most of the titles were crap......still was fun while it lasted :yes: I find the whole got to have the whole lable thing a bit to 'collectorish' if you know what i mean......take a look at some of the Tamla collectors all the do is talk in numbers..... here bill have you got TMG 501 :yes: no fun in it what so ever all there doing is chasing a number !! buy somthing that please's your ears :D

Hear what your saying Baz - tho' IMO Stax etc ( For me ) personally got me into this whole thing in the first place . There's always going to be duffers on a label with a huge output - Stax does please my ears :D in the way I collect mainly southern stuff - or am I alone..................... :huh: and boring and..... anyway..

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Hear what your saying Baz - tho' IMO Stax etc ( For me ) personally got me into this whole thing in the first place . There's always going to be duffers on a label with a huge output - Stax does please my ears :yes: in the way I collect mainly southern stuff - or am I alone..................... :yes: and boring and..... anyway..

ATB

Rich

there are loads that collect lables, i wonder if there are any succsessful 'big hitter' lable collectors that are nearly there with the likes of Thelma, Shrine, Topper ect, ect would imagen there are a few that go for Detriot lables, i know a few collect west coast issues, colours of lables WD ect, wish i had the reasorses to fund a venture in collecting a lable or group of labels, but just sticking with what i like will do :huh:

Social source share

there are loads that collect lables, i wonder if there are any succsessful 'big hitter' lable collectors that are nearly there with the likes of Thelma, Shrine, Topper ect, ect would imagen there are a few that go for Detriot lables, i know a few collect west coast issues, colours of lables WD ect, wish i had the reasorses to fund a venture in collecting a lable or group of labels, but just sticking with what i like will do :yes:

Me too Baz - in it for the long haul really - but would be interesting to know if a few are hitting the end of collecting ' premier ' northern lables so to speak...

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Yellow labels. :yes:

Yes, I too have a loving for the yellow ones :yes:

I also collect Karen label, not in the way most of you collect I would imagine, but I want to get one in each collour and also with the different fonts and then the demos to go with the fonts if you know what I mean :huh:

Social source share

Would never buy everything on a label just for the sake of having a "complete set"... but do like and have a lot of stuff on Loma - just like their 'sound'. Also got quite a few on Back Beat (in fact on Saturday played a couple in a row leading Mark Etheridge to coin the wonderful phrase "back to back back beat..." :yes: )

Social source share

Would never buy everything on a label just for the sake of having a "complete set"... but do like and have a lot of stuff on Loma - just like their 'sound'. Also got quite a few on Back Beat (in fact on Saturday played a couple in a row leading Mark Etheridge to coin the wonderful phrase "back to back back beat..." :huh: )

:yes: .... I can remember that bit Rachel....

As for labels.... nah.... owt with owt gud on :yes: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

I collect Sansu mainly demos but as already mentioned only go for the tracks i like rather than to complete the label, some superb records in there but also some crap...lol so stay away from the must have all the numbers, same goes for Port, Thelma, D-Town,RCA,Decca,Verve, MGM etc. I'm more into groups example i've just secured the final piece of my Volcanos jigsaw.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hear what your saying Baz - tho' IMO Stax etc ( For me ) personally got me into this whole thing in the first place . There's always going to be duffers on a label with a huge output - Stax does please my ears :yes: in the way I collect mainly southern stuff - or am I alone..................... :huh: and boring and..... anyway..

ATB

Rich

Lena Zavaroni -" Ma he's making eyes at me" being one of the duffers on Stax

Social source share

got most of the thelmas but more by accident than design. found i've done that with a few labels but like baz and others can't really get my head round collecting labels for sake of it. mark freeman (wiganer1) was on a while back about collecting red atlantic...nice to have them all in a way but there's so much non-soul shite in that lot that it ends up costing you dough you'd spend elsewhere. but mark will eloquently explain why he does it and make it sound perfectly sensible...horses for courses isn't it?

actually, would like to complete my dore collection (soul-wise) but only cos i've got all the stuff up to a value of about £300 and am missing one or two which are rather more than that ph34r.gifblush.gif

Social source share

Yes, I too have a loving for the yellow ones blush.gif

I also collect Karen label, not in the way most of you collect I would imagine, but I want to get one in each colour and also with the different fonts and then the demos to go with the fonts if you know what I mean :lol:

White one's nay bad either. RCA Victor mmm. :lol:

SIMS - Orange and blue. ph34r.gif

Social source share

I have to admit to being a label collector ph34r.gif

I have almost finished the Invictus/Hot Wax/Music Merchant group and am now looking at three other labels. (Still looking for some if anyone got some of the tougher ones up for sale..... like Brenda Holloway on Music Merchant)

There are some tunes I've heard that I probably would've missed if not trying to complete the label. And it's great for later reference.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Started off collecting the Motown stable as you did, then started collecting Cameo/Parkway, until I realised that I was getting all these crap records through the post, learnt the hard way. The only other label I collected by design was the philly 'Neptune' label. blush.gif

I somehow seem to have started collecting Daptone in recent months, just missing the first 3 releases, so if anyone can help out drop me a line.

DAP - 1001 Sharon Jones

DAP - 1002 Lee Fields

DAP - 1003 Sugarman 3

:lol:

and of course if anyone has any of them SHRINE 45's cheaply, I'm missing a few numbers. ph34r.gif

Social source share

I have to admit to being a label collector ph34r.gif

I have almost finished the Invictus/Hot Wax/Music Merchant group and am now looking at three other labels. (Still looking for some if anyone got some of the tougher ones up for sale..... like Brenda Holloway on Music Merchant)

There are some tunes I've heard that I probably would've missed if not trying to complete the label. And it's great for later reference.

Hi Lars is the Brenda Holloway the first release on the label, think i have that somewhere, seem to recall it being an average track by the way.

Brett

Social source share

Started off collecting the Motown stable as you did, then started collecting Cameo/Parkway, until I realised that I was getting all these crap records through the post, learnt the hard way. The only other label I collected by design was the philly 'Neptune' label. ph34r.gif

I somehow seem to have started collecting Daptone in recent months, just missing the first 3 releases, so if anyone can help out drop me a line.

DAP - 1001 Sharon Jones

DAP - 1002 Lee Fields

DAP - 1003 Sugarman 3

blush.gif

Think i've got the first two upstairs will have a look and dig em out :lol:

Social source share

ATB

Rich

Hi Rich I don't collect label releases,but the best collector of OKEH is a guy named John Rigney.He has most,if not all of the releases ,demo only,PS ,coloured vinyl,etc...He Only collects OKEH stuff.No other labels unsure.gifph34r.gif ATB Stevie
Social source share

ATB

Rich

All these labels are excellent labels to collect, so good luck with the quest. Yeah there are a few duffers on Stax, and the odd duffer on Volt - but they are overall great labels, and I enjoyed collecting them. There are a few that are impossible to find - one by the Mad Lads on early Volt which is a surfing song and which I still don't have, and a couple of odd Stax things. And there's a couple of missing numbers too in labels like Gospel Truth, despite what Stak O Wax says.

Other major labels Ive collected in the past tended to be "classic" soul labels like Revilot, Ric Tic, Invictus / Hot Wax / MM, Loma, Minit, Glades / Alston, Abet, Wand (still need about 10 of these :shades: ) ,Goldwax, Philadelphia, Brunswick / Dakar, Buddah, Westbound etc. etc. And I can tell you that pretty most of them have a few duffers on - but despite that great fun to collect as you never know what you are going to turn up.

Social source share

All these labels are excellent labels to collect, so good luck with the quest. Yeah there are a few duffers on Stax, and the odd duffer on Volt - but they are overall great labels, and I enjoyed collecting them. There are a few that are impossible to find - one by the Mad Lads on early Volt which is a surfing song and which I still don't have, and a couple of odd Stax things. And there's a couple of missing numbers too in labels like Gospel Truth, despite what Stak O Wax says.

Other major labels Ive collected in the past tended to be "classic" soul labels like Revilot, Ric Tic, Invictus / Hot Wax / MM, Loma, Minit, Glades / Alston, Abet, Wand (still need about 10 of these :shades: ) ,Goldwax, Philadelphia, Brunswick / Dakar, Buddah, Westbound etc. etc. And I can tell you that pretty most of them have a few duffers on - but despite that great fun to collect as you never know what you are going to turn up.

Hi Steve

Ten Wand left eh ? Blimey . . . Never really went into collecting the labels as such but on a recent ' re-filing ' ( I know I know...) It occurred to me how many on particular labels I had - like you / Lars mentioned -Lotsa HDH labels - Glades / Alston / Stax / - Then quite a lot on Tayster / Dakar / Frisco / One Der Ful Family / - I think my only complete label is the small Memphis - Girls / etc to my knowledge anyway.. and only a small label at that. Cheers

Rich

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Hi Rich I don't collect label releases,but the best collector of OKEH is a guy named John Rigney.He has most,if not all of the releases ,demo only,PS ,coloured vinyl,etc...He Only collects OKEH stuff.No other labels :shades::ohmy: ATB Stevie
Can't believe he's anywhere near collecting the whole of the Okeh releases Steve, some of them tracks from the late1920's and 30's must be mega rare on 78. :(:lol:
Social source share

ATB

Rich

Dont collect labels as such infact the only thing i ever collected musically was off the Jumping at the go go album. Had every track on either a black issue or a demo until my entire collection was stolen about 10 years back :ohmy: But hey i,ve got my health, they where only bits of vinyl. :shades:

Steve

Social source share

Hi Steve

Ten Wand left eh ? Blimey . . . Never really went into collecting the labels as such but on a recent ' re-filing ' ( I know I know...) It occurred to me how many on particular labels I had - like you / Lars mentioned -Lotsa HDH labels - Glades / Alston / Stax / - Then quite a lot on Tayster / Dakar / Frisco / One Der Ful Family / - I think my only complete label is the small Memphis - Girls / etc to my knowledge anyway.. and only a small label at that. Cheers

Rich

Yep ten Wand - I exclude the Kingsmen 45s from that which I have point blank refused to collect, so if you add them probably over 20 in total. Other than that yep it's about ten. I do not believe that Just Brothers ever came out on Wand, despite being listed, so I have excluded that as well :(

Memphis label = great, also MGM Sound of Memphis is quite nice. I forgot a few more Fame, Mar V Lus, Veep etc which I also collected...oh and O'Keh from about 7180 (63-64). Gave up and still need a handful of those, mostly odd things, though the one gaping hole NS wise is The Triumphs, which I was gonna get then the price went silly, so I never did. All of these labels harbour some nice little gems :thumbsup:

Social source share

ATB

Rich

collected arctic in late 70's/early 80's,had all issue's & 75% one sided demos inc volcanos "rules of love" &larry clinton ,which was arctic in disguise,got most off dave raistrick for peanuts but finding some of obscure stuff like royal five & jimmy bishops outings took a while.As far as i know,at the time.nobody had as complete collection as my self and mr vincent.Even had phone calls from val shivley wanting to know where i'd got some of these thing from. Had to sell the lot mid 80's (ex wife wanting bigger house) sold the lot to pete lawson for next to nowt Ion bought a lot ,thats when the temptones started getting played. if only :yes:
Social source share

Actually never thought about it label wise but just had a quick look and have more Brunswick, Atlantic and BackBeat than anything else. I suppose if you collect specific artists, Artistics/Barbara Aklin, Sam Dees and Joe Hinton for example then you will end up with a label collection by default.

Social source share

I have over 70 Loma and they are pretty much all Soul, a few borderline!!! Not sure where it started, some great stuff on there as well. Did buy a couple I didn't know for a few pounds and one ws C&W the other American Rock so think I will stop there.

Have most Fee and a fair few Venture that I keep thinking should complete, f*** knows why, one of those strange collecting urges that we can't fight! :yes::yes:

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Been collecting for nearly 40 years,I'm one of those that collect mainly detroit records/labels(even the sh-te,if i get them given)Talking of which has anyone got a copy of Human Beings on Impact 1001 & 1022 An inside look.Classmen 1012 Susie Jones.Plus certain Chicago ones, Zodiac,Giant.

There are very few of these that are completed,so my advice to you is keep to the sounds that you like on the labels you have chosen to collect because it's a hell of a struggle to aquire the missing numbers,even if one has plenty of spare money.

Keep Soulin',

Geoff.

Social source share

I have to admit to being a label collector :rolleyes:

larsc i have brenda holloway on a test press + some invictus test pressings, poss trade? i need 2 invictus records p.m me

Social source share

White one's nay bad either. RCA Victor mmm. :P

SIMS - Orange and blue. :thumbsup:

I got a silver coloured SIMs,with a picture of a piano on it :yes: ,nice record too!! :rolleyes: by "the soul impacts".

................... :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!