Coloured Vinyl

Kevin Cox

as an off shoot to the commands topic what coloured (colored over here ) do you have in your collections heres a few ive had or seen:

commands - Red - Dynamic

Proffesionals - Gold - Groove City

Artistics - Purple - Okeh

Ted Taylor - Purple - Okeh

Bobby Taylor - Red - VIP

Gene Toones - Blue - Simco

Bobby patterson - Jeststar - Orange

few other motown releases on red wax must be more??

Kevin

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

as an off shoot to the commands topic what coloured (colored over here ) do you have in your collections heres a few ive had or seen:

commands - Red - Dynamic

Bobby Taylor - Red - VIP

few other motown releases on red wax must be more?

Kevin

it has not attived yet but expecting it soon.

swiss movement i wish our love would last Gold Gold label and vinyl.

mark

Social source share

commands - Red - Dynamic

Bobby Taylor - Red - VIP

Kevin

The Icemen It's Time You Know Samar .....Blue

THE ORWELL - FRIDAY 24th FEBRUARY

Wigan Pier, Wigan

Soul Sam, Flanny, Steve Connor, Barry Maleady, Steve Plumb

With Special Guest DJ GLYN THORNHILL

8.30 pm - 2.30 am (with a 2 am bar!)

70's Modern & Crossover Soul with a smattering of quality Northern

Social source share

Guest just mo

commands - Red - Dynamic

Bobby Taylor - Red - VIP

Kevin

Commands 'don't be afraid to love me' dynamic. some demos are on yellow vinyl Edited by just mo
Social source share

The thing is i just don't get coloured vinyl, it seems to be the prerequisite of the vinyl rock collectors, always preferred the heavy "black" vinyl look anyway.....but hell, i'm an aristocrat....

Edited by Brett
Social source share

The thing is i just don't get coloured vinyl, it seems to be the prerequisite of the vinyl rock collectors, always preferred the heavy "black" vinyl look anway.....but hell, i'm an aristocrat....

I do so agree Brett, just something not quite right with the coloured stuff, much prefer my vinyl black unsure.gif

Social source share

What about that 4 coloured boot jobby that was on Manships a bit ago, was it Eddie Foster???

Also that nasty swirly stuff they used in the Lebanon. Sure there was some ABC stuff pressed under licence - looked like someone vommed on it while it was spinning around - yikes! ph34r.gif

I did av some stuff Ian Lavine put out on clear vinyl dont know wot there are or where they are now :lol:

HB unsure.gif

It'll have been 'Soft Cell' on flexidisc :lol:

Jamie

Social source share

Only coloured soul 45 I've got is is a dj copy of Edwin Starr - 25 Miles (Gordy) on red vinyl.

Got a copy of Motown Chartbusters Vol. 7 LP on Yellow vinyl...

And Kent - For Dancers Only / for Dancers Also on Red & Yellow.... (like everyone else has! unsure.gif )

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 20 2006, 08:06 PM) link

it has not attived yet but expecting it soon.

swiss movement i wish our love would last Gold Gold label and vinyl.

mark

I think this gold so called 'vinyl' is the reason why lots of copies skip and hence destroyed. Also, it came out on two different label designs.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The thing is i just don't get coloured vinyl, it seems to be the prerequisite of the vinyl rock collectors, always preferred the heavy "black" vinyl look anyway.....but hell, i'm an aristocrat....

and the face of the new Government 'Just Say No' campaign.... :rolleyes: .... black vinyl rocks......

Social source share

What about that 4 coloured boot jobby that was on Manships a bit ago, was it Eddie Foster???

Jamie

Saw this a while back as well. How many were done? How much did that one sell for? Still a only boot after all isn't it....

Also, I thought I'd heard a story about a pressing plant worker. He was making color versions for himself of all the titles coming through. They were supposedly discovered when he died. Anyone know what titles he did color versions of?

-Mike

Social source share

They were supposedly discovered when he died.

When he Dyed?

Black?

I have a green vinyl of "Why Girl" - The Precisions on Drew, never seen another copy, are copies known?

Social source share

i have a yello vinyl 6 track willie mitchel ep featuring driving beat and the champion on hi records , anyone know if this is rare as the people i have asked only usually know the black iuuse

Hi David,

I know it was booted on yellow vinyl without the pic sleeve, but wouldn't know if it was originally issued this way.

Gene

Didn't Ral Donner's 'Mr Miser' or 'Don't let it slip away' come out on bile green vinyl? Talk about adding insult to injury!

"Don't Let It Slip Away" came out on orange vinyl. Was a 1978 release. Blank label test pressings of Mr Misery were pressed on green vinyl.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Here's a list of other original US Soul releases on coloured vinyl I know of (apologies for any repetition):

THE TONETTES: I Gotta Know (Dynamic DEMO on red vinyl)

THE POSSESSIONS: You & Your Lies (Britton DEMO on blue vinyl)

THE ELECTRODES: Go Away (Fran DEMO - on blue vinyl, and also blue vinyl with black spatters)

FABULOUS TEMPOS: I Don't Care (Sur-tinga on yellow vinyl)

BOBBY TAYLOR: Oh I've Been Blessed (VIP DEMO on red vinyl)

PORGY & THE MONARCHS: Somebody Said I'd Cry Someday (Mala DEMO on solid light blue vinyl)

TED TAYLOR: Somebody's Always Trying (Okeh DEMO on purple vinyl)

ARTISTICS: This Heart Of Mine (Okeh DEMO on purple vinyl)

RAL DONNER: Mister Misery (White label test press on green vinyl)

RAL DONNER: Don't Let It Slip Away (Starfire on orange vinyl)

FIVE KEYS: Stop What You're Doing To Me (Landmark on red/blue blended vinyl)

More when I think of them!

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

The Five Keys on Landmark came out in seemingly endless colour combinations. I bought a few of these off Garry Cape some years ago and all were on completely different coloured vinyl, from almost black with the merest tint of red to a mind-bogglingly psychedelic multi-coloured red, yellow, green and purple effort with the remains of a local newspaper (!) pressed into the plastic. I think the one I've still got is half red/half green.

The case of the record pressing plant worker who produced his own custom sets was highlighted when a mottled grey DJ copy of the Delfonics "Ready Or Not" on Philly Groove sold for a couple of hundred dollars on ebay.

The great Kim Tolliver 12" on Tayster appeared in a couple of variations of sickly purple, pretty low quality plastic. I think this may have happened with many budget pressings of soul (and other) records in the early 80s as stocks of what we commonly refer to as vinyl (of the high quality black variety)were starting to be phased out as the major record corporations tried to force through the introduction of CD.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I've got a red vinyl 12" copy of 'Lovin is really my game' - Brainstorm, pretty easy to get hold of and just too fast to dance too - well for me anyway! unsure.gif

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I've got a red vinyl 12" copy of 'Lovin is really my game' - Brainstorm, pretty easy to get hold of and just too fast to dance too - well for me anyway! unsure.gif

Ste.

Oh, and a blue vinyl copy of 'Soul time' somewhere or other too.....

Social source share

I've a copy of Chris Rea's album 'Deltics' on blue vinyl

OK it's not soul but it does have song called 'Twisted Wheel' on it about

the club of the same name....

Social source share

commands - Red - Dynamic

Bobby Taylor - Red - VIP

Kevin

My understanding is that many boots (Re Issues) of rock and roll / dowop 45's were put out on coloured vinyl and this was the only difference from the originals as they used the original stampers. Surely this teqnique will have been used for soul 45's as well?

I have a few scatered about. Anyone know if the Red Vinyl Astra copy of the Volumes - Gotta Give Her Love is legit? I always thought it was a boot but JM had in one of his price guides at £100 :shades: Qulaity tune I play on the American Arts release but keep both because I'm not sure about the legitimacy of the Astra one.

Ged

Edited by ged parker
Social source share

I have a few scatered about. Anyone know if the Red Vinyl Astra copy of the Volumes - Gotta Give Her Love is legit? I always thought it was a boot but JM had in one of his price guides at £100 :shades: Qulaity tune I play on the American Arts release but keep both because I'm not sure about the legitimacy of the Astra one.

Ged

Been told it was a US re-issue from around 1966. I had one of these on yellow vinyl - wonder if it was pressed on any other colours?

Social source share

My understanding is that many boots (Re Issues) of rock and roll / dowop 45's were put out on coloured vinyl and this was the only difference from the originals as they used the original stampers. Surely this teqnique will have been used for soul 45's as well?

Ged

A lot of doo-wop/rock & roll 45s were booted on coloured vinyl. They didn't use original stampers in all cases, as far as I am aware (if any). It's my understanding that they're all out-and-out bootlegs Ged.

Some early '70s doo-wop/rock & roll boots will have "Reissued 1973" or something like that pressed in the run-out area.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

commands - Red - Dynamic

Bobby Taylor - Red - VIP

Kevin

CHUCK WAYNE 'AT LAST YOU CAME' EMPIRE (yellow)
Social source share

A lot of doo-wop/rock & roll 45s were booted on coloured vinyl. They didn't use original stampers in all cases, as far as I am aware (if any). It's my understanding that they're all out-and-out bootlegs Ged.

Some early '70s doo-wop/rock & roll boots will have "Reissued 1973" or something like that pressed in the run-out area.

I seem to remember having the Boss tones - Mope itty Mope on Boss 501 in both black and seperately in red vinyl the red one looked unplayed (i.e. Brand New) but it was identical in all other respects to the black one I assumed it was a boot. I know it came out on Boss 401 later curiously and did think for a while 401 was the first release. Maybe the red one was a limited issue anyway it went in a trade some time back so I'll never know.

Still surely this happened with soul 45's? Any idea Gene?

Ged

Social source share

I seem to remember having the Boss tones - Mope itty Mope on Boss 501 in both black and seperately in red vinyl the red one looked unplayed (i.e. Brand New) but it was identical in all other respects to the black one I assumed it was a boot. I know it came out on Boss 401 later curiously and did think for a while 401 was the first release. Maybe the red one was a limited issue anyway it went in a trade some time back so I'll never know.

Still surely this happened with soul 45's? Any idea Gene?

Ged

Hmmm.....well, my belief is that original coloured vinyl in America, during the 50s and 60s was made for radio DJs, rather than for public domain. The reason being is that DJs would have to rake through pile upon pile of new releases every week for their radio show, and the coloured vinyl promos were a way of making the records stand out amongst the mundane black vinyl promos. The hope was that, because they looked attractive, they would encourage DJs to pay more attention to them, and give them airplay simply because they looked cute.

There is another possible side to it. Remember that demos and promos were almost, always pressed on virgin vinyl, rather than recycled vinyl, which was used for a lot of stock copies, since the sound quality would have been ten times better, particularly for broadcast purposes. The same can also be said for coloured vinyl; sound quality appears to be a lot better.

I've come across boxes of doo-wop boots & reissues in rock & roll/swing shops, and quite a sizeable amount of these had been pressed on coloured vinyl. However, it's easy to tell that they're boots, mainly due to the way the grooves look, and also checking the slapdash quality of any run-out markings.

Other than that, I wonder if the odd coloured vinyl stock copy was the work of a pressing plant worker, who either pressed a few up for his own collection, or wanted to brighten up a boring day at the plant by pouring coloured crystals in the vat just to see what came out? Perhaps it was one or two of these that just happened to leak out from his hands. Certainly looking at Tefteller's website (whcih Miss Popcorn has kindly provided a link for on here), it's amazing to see how many of the coloured vinyl pressings were "found at the home of a pressing plant worker in 1999"!

Hope this helps you Ged, and hope I haven't gone off into a tangent!

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

American collectors have a passion for coloured vinyl and would much rather have a coloured vinyl release than a black vinyl. Combination of being more attractive, better sound quality and in some cases rare. :shades:

Social source share

Hmmm.....well, my belief is that original coloured vinyl in America, during the 50s and 60s was made for radio DJs, rather than for public domain. The reason being is that DJs would have to rake through pile upon pile of new releases every week for their radio show, and the coloured vinyl promos were a way of making the records stand out amongst the mundane black vinyl promos. The hope was that, because they looked attractive, they would encourage DJs to pay more attention to them, and give them airplay simply because they looked cute.

There is another possible side to it. Remember that demos and promos were almost, always pressed on virgin vinyl, rather than recycled vinyl, which was used for a lot of stock copies, since the sound quality would have been ten times better, particularly for broadcast purposes. The same can also be said for coloured vinyl; sound quality appears to be a lot better.

I've come across boxes of doo-wop boots & reissues in rock & roll/swing shops, and quite a sizeable amount of these had been pressed on coloured vinyl. However, it's easy to tell that they're boots, mainly due to the way the grooves look, and also checking the slapdash quality of any run-out markings.

Other than that, I wonder if the odd coloured vinyl stock copy was the work of a pressing plant worker, who either pressed a few up for his own collection, or wanted to brighten up a boring day at the plant by pouring coloured crystals in the vat just to see what came out? Perhaps it was one or two of these that just happened to leak out from his hands. Certainly looking at Tefteller's website (whcih Miss Popcorn has kindly provided a link for on here), it's amazing to see how many of the coloured vinyl pressings were "found at the home of a pressing plant worker in 1999"!

Hope this helps you Ged, and hope I haven't gone off into a tangent!

Gene

Cheers Gene,

Been a good thread this certainly got me thinking anyway. The link did throw up some fine examples of coloured vinyl one offs.

Ged

Social source share

And here, from my personal collection, is one of the first American coloured vinyl 45s. It dates back to 1949, the year 45s were first made available in the USA. It's released by RCA, who were the first record company to issue coloured vinyl 45s. This would have been their 4th release; "Cool Water" by Sons Of The Pioneers.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert