• 8 months later...
  • Replies 23
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I knew A Little On The Blue Side from a few years back and have recently been raving over For You.

Just been listening to the fantastic Help Me.

Did this group do a bad record!!!!!!!

Anyone able to post any of their records that are not already in Refosoul? thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest Perception

I knew A Little On The Blue Side from a few years back and have recently been raving over For You.

Anyone able to post any of their records that are not already in Refosoul? thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

"Help Me" has been there biggest Northern Soul record and I have always thought it a great record.

I like every other record I have heard by them, especially "A Little On The Blue Side"

Social source share

The Spellbinders lp on Columbia is one of the best lp,s ever. just locate a copy and enjoy, as stated not a duff track by them.

Rob h.

Agreed on that one. One sold on Manships' auction a few months back. 100+ if i remember. I got one for 60 dollars all in the same week ont' t'internet!!

Have to say a crackin' album.!!

Social source share

The Spellbinders lp on Columbia is one of the best lp,s ever. just locate a copy and enjoy, as stated not a duff track by them.

Rob h.

Totally agree. Superb album. Well worth getting an original LP. Ebay have them for sale every now and then. Picked one up last year for $30 - bargain

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone able to post any of their records that are not already in Refosoul? :thumbsup:

KTF.

Drew.

They never ever DID A DUFFER? I knew them all, I got them all back togethser in 2003, all

the orignals (in fact there never were any replacements) got to meet McCarthur Mumford

too, plus all their families. Try and track down A. Their album B. An article I wrote for Mike

Ritson's Magazine Manifesto, their whole story is in it. Only Eller Weas Little and Bobby

Shivers still alive but when they performed in New Jersey 3 years ago they blew

everyone away. I'll post some stuff on them tomorrow off the Germany now back in

the morning...............

Here's a little taster, an unpublished pic of the Spellbinders in their heyday.

-c-01ce7--post-4408-12575927997808_thumb

Chris L

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Is this a CD on Amazon or LP Ricky?

KTF.

Drew.

If you go to Amazon.com (not co.uk)

Search for Spellbinders chain reaction

Then click on the CD album pic

then scroll down about half way and click "listen to all"

You get a 30 second taster of each track

thumbsup.gif

Just noticed, even quicker is to click on the pic and on the next page under the pic is "Listen to samples"

Social source share

They never ever DID A DUFFER? I knew them all, I got them all back togethser in 2003, all

the orignals (in fact there never were any replacements) got to meet McCarthur Munford

too, plus all their families. Try and track down A. Their album B. An article I wrote for Mike

Ritson's Magazine Manifesto, their whole story is in it. Only Eller Weas Little and Bobby

Shivers still alive but when they performed in New Jersey 3 years ago they blew

everyone away. I'll post some stuff on them tomorrow off the Germany now back in

the morning...............

Here's a little taster, an unpublished pic of the Spellbinders in their heyday.

post-4408-12575927997808_thumb.jpg

Chris L

Wonderful Chris.

Any advice on the artical would be most appreciated.

The album Chain Reaction is now on my list of crizzy presents (as soon as I say I want something in our house the Gary Glitter Fan says "well Nathaniel can get you that for your birthday, Christmas, Fathersday etc ).rolleyes.gif

One way or another its on its way!!!!thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the posts in reply folks.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

It might also be worth pointing out that the CD includes not only the 11 tracks from the Columbia LP but also 4 bonus tracks of their 45s on Columbia and Date.

Catalogue # is Shout! 39- also available at https://www.cherryred...shout/index.php

Yes, you're right, great for playing in car where the playing of vinyl could be a bit tricky.

This is Bobby Shivers singing an encore of "Help Me" in New Jersey in 2006, he's quite

the showman.

-c-6b296--post-4408-12576899618655_thumb

The "lost" Spellbinder McArthur Mumford, he got lip cancer quite some while ago and had

to stop singing, his appearance in New Jersey got me a bit weepy, he was just a smashing

bloke.

-c-5cf82--post-4408-12576899832489_thumb

This from their 2nd tour of the UK in 1967, people forget they had 2 "hits" in the UK with

"Help Me" and "Chain Reaction" only 4 of them here, Dee Grant & McArthur not making the

trip both being replaced by Danny Austin from the Ad Libs (they are all big mates with each

other).

post-4408-12576902112135_thumb.jpg

I'll be back................good.gif

Chris L

Social source share

some good pics and info there chris, im made up with all that,like i said previous one of my fav bands

regards doog

I once borrowed this copy of Help Me from a girlfriend I was dating in about 1968/9.

-c-4a44f--post-4408-12576999971868_thumb

I was about 16 years old at the time, to my great shame I have never returned it.

(I did try and track her down her name was Janet Kemp from Guildford - she was older

than me gues she's about 58/59 now) anyway..............................I kept and played it

always wondering who the Spellbinders were. After getting back into the scene in 1998

come early 2002 I had found them. Lovely people.

-c-671d6--post-4408-12577001425532_thumb

This is a rare Canadian copy, I have the album also on Canadian (also US demo,

US mono & stereo too - became quite an obsession) I was delighted when the album

got released in the UK, albeit on a CD.

Social source share

I once borrowed this copy of Help Me from a girlfriend I was dating in about 1968/9.

post-4408-12576999971868_thumb.jpg

I was about 16 years old at the time, to my great shame I have never returned it.

(I did try and track her down her name was Janet Kemp from Guildford - she was older

than me gues she's about 58/59 now) anyway..............................I kept and played it

always wondering who the Spellbinders were. After getting back into the scene in 1998

come early 2002 I had found them. Lovely people.

post-4408-12577001425532_thumb.jpg

This is a rare Canadian copy, I have the album also on Canadian (also US demo,

US mono & stereo too - became quite an obsession) I was delighted when the album

got released in the UK, albeit on a CD.

Spellbinders - help me - CBS uk promo -

help_me.jpg

:P

Social source share

Did this group do a bad record!!!!!!! Anyone able to post any of their records that are not already in Refosoul? :thumbsup:

KTF.

Drew.

This came out in the US sometime in 1998, sort of soft bootleg, pressed in Belgium by

Marginal Records, they use a law that says that after so many years the music is in

the public domain so no royalties, same as the Chain Reaction album.

-c-41cdf--post-4408-12579542702292_thumb

Chris L

Social source share

• 3 years later...