• 11 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Think the blue bootleg had Italic writing on Uptite bit, original was in capitals and had 2 lines, although last of the 3rd presses was in Italic too :wicked: !! all were vinyl and flat run in's

Ths stamp is very hard to see and make out on a lot of copys as it looked like it missed or was stamped on a bad angle. :thumbup:

Original vinyl was flat too, the bootleg had a bevelled run in

JM guide says original blue copys were thin vinyl but i have had thick & thin ones.

the last boot had a bright blue label and was styrene.

Social source share

Think the blue bootleg had Italic writing on Uptite bit, original was in capitals and had 2 lines.

Original vinyl was flat too, the bootleg had a bevelled run in

JM guide says original blue copys were thin vinyl but i have had thick & thin ones.

the last boot had a bright blue label and was styrene.

I think this was issued in 3 different designs :-

Yellow issue - Uptite in italics

Blue issue - as above (booted with this design)

Blue issue - 2 lines

Social source share

This must be a boot then? Definitely vinyl, but its very thin and flat, not bevelled. There is only what looks like an 'R' stamped in the matrix. see label scan below. What do you guys think?

Good job I can get me money back... :D

Deb-c-1da02--post-8561-1201105778_thumb.jpg

Social source share

This must be a boot then? Definitely vinyl, but its very thin and flat, not bevelled. There is only what looks like an 'R' stamped in the matrix. see label scan below. What do you guys think?

Good job I can get me money back... :D

Debpost-8561-1201105778_thumb.jpg

I think it's right, certainly looks it, and it should be thin vinyl. mines the same Deb, and i got it from a reputable source who got em from the states many years ago

steve

Social source share

I think it's right, certainly looks it, and it should be thin vinyl. mines the same Deb, and i got it from a reputable source who got em from the states many years ago

steve

Fantastic! I'll keep it then. If anyone pulls me for playing bootlegs out I'll tell em you told me to :D:lol::D

just kiddin!!

Deb

Social source share

Good job I can get me money back... :lol:

Debpost-8561-1201105778_thumb.jpg

Yeah I agree, definite Original. Uptite title design is different on the vinyl boot and a slightly different shade of blue.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Blue issue - 2 lines

So the blue issue wih two lines across the middle and the address written under UPTITE was never booted? That's the one i've got but i always assumed it was a boot?

I've got a feeling both blue issues were booted. :lol:

Social source share

So the blue issue wih two lines across the middle and the address written under UPTITE was never booted? That's the one i've got but i always assumed it was a boot?

I've got a feeling both blue issues were booted. :lol:

I've been told the blue issue with two lines hasn't been booted. Could be wrong though. I usually am!

Sorry I cant help!

Deb

Social source share

Hi Deb, I looked at your scan, next to the number in the dead wax do you see a tiny line mark to the right.

Its an original keep it.

The Original YELOW Copy

UPTITE_U-250a_Y-1.gif--<--_Click on Image to Enlarge

However, the copy with the 2 Lines has two different presses.

The 2nd Lined one, I think is the possible dodgy one, thoughts anyone.

UPTITE_U-250a_LB-1.gif--<--_Click on Image to Enlarge

UPTITE_U-250a_B.gif--<--_Click on Image to Enlarge

-------------Has a smaller Deadwax.

Social source share

The Original YELOW Copy

Intresting, didn't know there are two variations of the blue lined copy! My Blue lined copy is like the top one and this came from a very reliable USA contact. My Yellow copy is very like the blue unlined original, nearly indentical apart from colour.

Social source share

If you look at the 2 lines on the boot they are higher in comparison to the centre of the record, on the original they are central and equal to the centre hole :thumbsup:

don't think the thin vinyl bit is right cos i have had thick & thin ones.

Odd one this.I had a copy of the two lined lighter one several years ago and seem to recall it was stamped albeit lightly.

However if you look at the record timing it is 2.01 on this copy and 2.35 on the other 2!!!

Social source share

Odd one this.I had a copy of the two lined lighter one several years ago and seem to recall it was stamped albeit lightly.

However if you look at the record timing it is 2.01 on this copy and 2.35 on the other 2!!!

The plot thickens! :unsure: So whats the general thought then? Do I keep the copy I got? See Scan above....

Confused...

Deb :huh:

Social source share

for what it is worth..............same as mine ( R ) thin vinyl etc etc, same as yellow press but blue label ( did they just do a second run ? )

and mine is an original as confirmed by far clevererererepeople than me :unsure:

so just keep it,

good luck

Social source share

• 3 months later...

I have another 45 on the blue italic UPTITE label with the "R" stamp........exactly the same as my Superlatives 45 and as this is no way a known sound I guess its ok to say the blue unlined 45 with an "R" stamp are legit.

Rob

Social source share

I have another 45 on the blue italic UPTITE label with the "R" stamp........exactly the same as my Superlatives 45 and as this is no way a known sound I guess its ok to say the blue unlined 45 with an "R" stamp are legit.

Rob

Yes.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

https://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showim...=0&format=0

Is this a boot or not? You said there's an Uptite issue with italic writing but is it a boot or not?

Yes - this one is a boot.

The only real "italic" ones are the Yellow and Blue copies as detailed in above postings.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Is this a boot or not? You said there's an Uptite issue with italic writing but is it a boot or not?

My copy is the same as the one in the link

run out grooves it says 'JC - U - 250 - A' for ISLY

and on the flip 'U - 250 - B - JC, the JC is at the end??

Hope this helps

Steve

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Don't forget the initial yellow label vinyl bootleg of "I Still Love You", (C.1973).

Plain typo and therefore easy to spot, fortunately!

Social source share

• 1 month later...

The Original YELOW Copy

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paul Kyser

Blue issue - 2 lines

We never pressed up any blue labels.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Paul Kyser

Hi Paul

Welcome to Soul Source.

Just been reading your Introduction. >>> LINK <<<

Regarding "I STILL LOVE YOU" Intriguing,

Are you saying that only Yellow Label Copies were pressed WHEN Originally Released, or have I misunderstood.

Look forward to your contribution on Soul Source.

Social source share

Paul Kyser

Paul,

I can assure you, the yellow label copy, also comes with a blue label and they were both pressed from the same masterplate. The deadwax width and matrix details are absolutely identical. Did you only recieve yellow copies from the plant?

The 2 lined light blue copy with 2:35 time text, I have personally and i know other dealers have found several copies over the years, mostly on the east coast. The 2.01 timed copy is considered a bootleg of unknown origin.

It is very possible that someone unbeknown to you and us collectors pressed the lined copy, as that doesn't use the masterplate of the yellow copy. But it does carry a matrix stamp in the deadwax.

Unfortunately it wasn't just the Brits who bootlegged records, even as the original was released or shortly after release date. As an example, there is a very suspicious Edwin Starr - Stop Her On Sight - Ric Tic made from vinyl with two lines on the label, which only seems to turn up in L.A. which I'm pretty sure this was a bootleg pressed by a unscrupulous distributor or retail outlet.

And of course many Motown hits were bootlegged at the time of release, and countless other labels suffered this intrusion of copyright, it was, after all, a very easy way to make money.

We have all the different presses on the shelves at the moment, I just checked the yellow against the blue again and like I say they are identical except for the label colour.

A puzzle indeed... I remember talking to a label owner recently who had no idea a record of his was also pressed by a member of the group and sold on. There are so many explanations for different labels and label designs. My expertise is to concentrate on te 45s that were especially bootlegged by Northern Soul dealers to decieve or to look similiar to the original. Once we get into the area of the USA side of replicas, bootlegs or reisssues.. that can be a minefield.

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on some mighty fine productions. I personaly just love Robby Lawson's - I Have Searched - Kyser of of the truly great "undiscovered" soul ballads.

John

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Picked this one up at a flea market in Millville NJ, bloke selling baseball cards, so not a bloke selling records in general $0.50.

had a good look round the deadwax, there is a stampmark on this copy, both sides, both identical distance from the matrix No,

had under bright lights, magnified, can not make out at all any lettering but it's defo a stamp.

Please check your copies and see if anyone can make any letters out.

Thanking you in anticipationthumbsup.gif

-c-ef253--post-17800-12767795612977_thum distances of stamp details.

-c-5c156--post-17800-12767797072372_thum

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest allnightandy

This is on Ebay at the mo and states it's a 2nd issue looks quite dark

https://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a7071d036

and this

https://www.popsike.c...60431144975.jpg

The "U" is totally different on these two than the original posted one !

And this is differentto any of the others posted ! Paper label on vinyl i recon ?

https://www.popsike.c...80491047020.jpg

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

So that's six different versions of this and we're still not 100% which are boots? I thought mine was one of the two blue ones posted by Roger earlier, but now i'm thinking it looks like the last one Andy posted. I'll have to dig it out and post it up tomorrow. I always thought it was a boot, so at least we can rule that one out.

Social source share

What about this one that's currently on ebay, does this look like an original or not?

$(KGrHqFHJCUE8fdMzVjLBPPUr68j-w~~60_12.JPG

Just seen this on EBay, I thought this was a boot with the narrow run out & 2.01 running time. Not 100per cent sure though. I wouldn't pay £65 for it anyway.

Social source share