Worlds Rarest Soul Record

steve z

Hello Phil,

You did indeed Sir, for which i thank you. Were there any other demo's or test presses with it?

Regards...pottsy

No others just the two I sold you.

Phil.

Social source share

• Replies 150
  • Views 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Not sure whether this a UK or US thread anymore??

Little Tony Talent on Symbol, pretty sure Ian Clark had one, never seen another?

Thought Mick Smith had a UK test press of Gerri Hall?

Hi Tony, originally I was hoping to avoid the "obvious" rarities ,so even though the thread has moved to "all" rarities from anywhere...its very interesting reading IMO and has certainly helped my knowledge.ATB Steve

Social source share

As Steve mentioned in the collecting labels thread - Just Brothers - WAND1144 ? -doesn't think it exists - Nor Dreams on Kellac not seen - are we now in the realms of the ' mythical ' soul 45 ? Holy grails. . . .

ATB

Rich

Don Varner "Tear stained face" on Veep anyone?

Thanks for the examples John (M) - some food for thought.

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 24 2006, 10:24 AM) link

hi hohn

does the fact that in the 70's due to a shortage of vinyl the rumour was that warehouse were recycled thus losing lots of stuff, if this is true then would explain why a lot of large run records are pretty hard to find.

mark

Good point Mark I forgot that - tons melted down in the 70s - probably including entire stocks of certain things

Social source share

Guest micksmith

At a guess Steve, I'd say it was probably £800 for a Darrell Banks demo on London. As far as I'm aware, no UK Soul 45 has made it to the four-figures yet (unless one of the Ray Pollard 45s have sold recently!).

By the way, does anyone know if UK test pressings/stock copies exist for "Can't Turn Around" by Fork In The Road (Ember), or "Who Can I Run To" by Gerri Hall (Sue)?

HI GENE-I'VE GOT TEST PRESSINGS OF FORK IN THE ROAD & MR FLOODS PARTY-BOTH ON EMBER. yes.gif

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I have that Intensions. I've played it out as Majestics c/u to empty dance floors around the Burnley area for at least 2 years. So not a one-off then. I also sold Tim the CODs for a lot of money so pricewise [apart from Frank Wilson] it's at the top of the range. It was Richard's old copy and as far as I know there is only one right now.

I have a 45 by Bobby Sanders on Pick-a-Hit that I rate and haven't seen. It is in Tim's guide but only cos I told him about it I think. Anyone got that or heard it.

ROD

HI ROD-THE C.O.D.s FIRST CAME FROM JOHN ANDERSON AT SOUL BOWL-IF THERE'S ANYONE ON THE SCENE THAT KNOWS ABOUT ONE OFFs ITS HIM.

Social source share

Hi Tony, originally I was hoping to avoid the "obvious" rarities ,so even though the thread has moved to "all" rarities from anywhere...its very interesting reading IMO and has certainly helped my knowledge.ATB Steve

That's why I mentioned Little Tony Talent a rare record on a label not known for rarities,

Sandy Golden must come in with only 2 copies after 20 odd years, Little Johhny Hamilton "Keep on Moving", what about that Magictones missing number on Solid Hit???

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

That's why I mentioned Little Tony Talent a rare record on a label not known for rarities,

Sandy Golden must come in with only 2 copies after 20 odd years, Little Johhny Hamilton "Keep on Moving", what about that Magictones missing number on Solid Hit???

Small Paul from North Wales has copy of the Magictones. yes.gif
Social source share

Hi Tony Little Tony Talent not sure I know it ....on Symbol....sound bite anyone?ATB Steve

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 24 2006, 09:24 AM) link

hi hohn

does the fact that in the 70's due to a shortage of vinyl the rumour was that warehouse were recycled thus losing lots of stuff, if this is true then would explain why a lot of large run records are pretty hard to find.

mark

Vinyl during the 60s oil shortage vinyl became a useable commodity. Records were always broken up and the vinyl re-used for other presses. Also been told by older people who know, and they kept a straight face whilst telling me. Vinyl was used as ballast for ships, hardcore for roads and buildings .. so maybe that's where a few of our treasured rarities, brothers and sisters end up, unloved keeping a ship down in the water.
Social source share

I have Little John. It's mint-. I've heard of two others, but not in great condition, I've not seen them it's what I've heard. thumbsup.gif

I want the Trent Sisters, but the only copy I know of is Fortnum's. Anybody know any different?

Sorry to the bubble James, but I've had three Little John's over the years but i've never had The trent Sisters. Apparently Little John had another record on GoGate which I've never seen, has anyone seen it?

Social source share

The Don Varner on Veep was listed on a Soussan sales list.. as was Bob Relf - Reaching for the best.. if you get my drift..
Social source share

Don Varner "Tear stained face" on Veep anyone?

Thanks for the examples John (M) - some food for thought.

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 24 2006, 10:24 AM) link

hi hohn

mark

Good point Mark I forgot that - tons melted down in the 70s - probably including entire stocks of certain things

dreams must exist because we know it's a girl group recording
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

If we are now bringing Shrine's NS output into the equation, how many playable copies of the Prophets, Cavaliers and Counts. Or even Cairos or Eddie Daye ???

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

I didn't start it with the Washington 'S' word ... or with USA either ... honest ... LOL!!!

Was just wondering ... !?

Won't mention it again on this thread chaps - might start a separate one though.

Social source share

I didn't start it with the Washington 'S' word ... or with USA either ... honest ... LOL!!!

Won't mention it again on this thread chaps - might start a separate one though.

Hey do not be put off to continue your input.Please tell me about the "janitor" who closed up at the Shrine studios?ATB Steve
Social source share

I'd recommend it. You can't have too many good threads.

If I knew what I was taling about I'd start one myself.

Col :thumbsup:

Social source share

Personally I don't care whether it is dog rare or costs a fiver as long as it floats both mine and the dancers boat.....

Rare soul? I've got a record called faith by Doni Burdick and the Fabulous Thunders - a cover of the same song by Melvin Davies on Mala - only 100 copies were pressed back in the 60's - 98 have disappeared, presumed destroyed - 2 remain - and I have one. Buy Dave Rimmers SKM magazine in March and read all about it.

Rarity or quality? I know which one gets my vote! that £5 dancer :thumbsup:

Rgds

Mike Bolderson

Social source share

as far as they both know it's the only "known" copy but like already mentioned you don't know what's out there. If the real artist was revealed every one and his dog would be looking for it, Mick should at least get some exclusivity out of it before, or even if at all, everyone gets to know what it is and maybe have the chance to turn other copies up.

I'm probably playing devils advocate here but why should anyone have the "right" to exclusivity on a record that they didn't perform, produce etc etc just because they managed to obtain a copy. I can sort of understand why someone would be a bit peeved if 50 copies of a record they paid big money for turned up the follwing week, but that's just the way it goes sometimes innit?

Social source share

At a guess Steve, I'd say it was probably £800 for a Darrell Banks demo on London. As far as I'm aware, no UK Soul 45 has made it to the four-figures yet (unless one of the Ray Pollard 45s have sold recently!).

By the way, does anyone know if UK test pressings/stock copies exist for "Can't Turn Around" by Fork In The Road (Ember), or "Who Can I Run To" by Gerri Hall (Sue)?

Gene, I printed the stock copy of Fork In The Road in one edition of Beatin Rhythm but the cover was all black ink so I only did about 30 editions with that cover. The record belonged to Roy Gelder. The test pressings are blue. There is no Gerri Hall whatsoever.

Social source share

John, The First Choice must have at least gone to Demo copy, as the weekly release sheet I had was generally for releases the following week, and from added posts it seems that indeed there are demo's, although up to me adding the First Choice into this thread, I have never seen one or nobody I had asked previously knew anything about this release. As a side issue the flip side "One Step Away" came out on the B side of their first Bell Release. Pity it was a hit as this is top 70's dancer in it's own right. :P

I've had this in my hands today and it's an emidisc acetate with the Pye International catalogue number. Double sided, and in stereo. Not a proper demo.

After seeing the posts of the First Choice record perhaps a contender may be Name It And Claim It by Darryl Stewart on Pye. Mr Manship sold this for me at auction a while back :D

ooops sorry have just realised this was an acetate, so of course wouldn't count if only talking about actual issues

And by coincidence, I have also had this in my hands today as well.

Social source share

I've had this in my hands today and it's an emidisc acetate with the Pye International catalogue number. Double sided, and in stereo. Not a proper demo.

Hi Pete thanks for your input to my post.

After a fabulous response ,another question has loomed :P !

How do "we" fellow collectors or dealers KNOW which are the worlds rarest records of the moment ?I have mentioned three tunes on the thread ,without any response....perhaps not known might answer the fact that no-one responded?ATB Steve

Social source share

After a fabulous response ,another question has loomed blush.gif !

How do "we" fellow collectors or dealers KNOW which are the worlds rarest records of the moment ?I have mentioned three tunes on the thread ,without any response....perhaps not known might answer the fact that no-one responded?ATB Steve

Really looking forward to Kev Roberts input :shhh: Only joking Kev :D
Social source share

After a fabulous response ,another question has loomed :yes: !

Sorry about this :shades: But really need to know if anyone can inform me about Ron Jefferson?ATB Steve
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Seems strange that Pye gave it a catalogue number and it hadn't at least got to demo stage, as I have said previously I have a release sheet with it on. The records that were on this weekly release sheet were generally in the shops the following week. I use to order releases of the list so I would have them in 1st week of release, the First choice never turned up, even though I kept on ordering it. My reckoning is this was actually pulled at the very last minute and the original press destroyed including demo's, so there still a chance that one may turn up either as a demo or issue, stranger things have happened.. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest micksmith

whistling.gif PETE-THE FIRST COICE IS STEREO/MONO. CAT. NO 7N 25613.

THE DARRELL STEWART IS A ONE SIDED PYE ACETATE.

ALSO GOT ON A PYE ACETATE MEL WYNN STOP SIGN/GIVE WHEN YOU TAKE.

" " " " " JIMMY (BILLY THE KID) BREEDLOVE-CAN'T HELP LOVING YOU. 'B' SIDE IS THE FENWAYS-BE CAREFUL LITTLE GIRL.

ALSO GOT A WHITE LABEL JAY-BOY SINGLE THAT NEVER CAME OUT-KEPT THAT A SECRET-YOU DON'T KNOW WHO'S WATCHING-WAITIN' FOR INFO FOR A NEW UK GUILD.

Social source share

Other erasons for rarity apart from disputes

a) copyright inflringment allegations

cool.gif pressing fault on one side

c) producer doesn't like the finished product

d) label goes bust without paying the pressing plant

e) singer / label owner dies

f) singer / band signs with another label

...we could go on.....

G) A lot of them are utter sh*te that no one would buy at the time, or even relatives & band members would admit to owning, & were thrown in the nearest bin! Hand on heart, I would have to admit I would have no interest in many of them whatsoever if they didn't have their ultra rariety tag.

Social source share

Can't follow you there mate, are you saying nothing is ever unknown ? :thumbsup:

I think I was thinking that if some mongolian pressed a small quantity of soul records in the late 60's but lost all but one in a fire just before he died. If his relatives put theat record in a box somewhere and forgot about it how would you, or anyone, know ?

just theoretically of course :yes:

I agree with Dave...and I`m assuming we`re also including those great guys employed at the record pressing factories over the years? Nothing is unknown to them! (assuming it was produced by their respective recording companies of course!!)

:lol::lol:

And while we`re at it-how`s about.."What`s the World`s Most Pointless Thread Started On A Soul Forum?"

Social source share

QUOTE(mark.b @ Feb 24 2006, 09:24 AM) link

hi hohn

mark

Vinyl during the 60s oil shortage vinyl became a useable commodity. Records were always broken up and the vinyl re-used for other presses. Also been told by older people who know, and they kept a straight face whilst telling me. Vinyl was used as ballast for ships, hardcore for roads and buildings .. so maybe that's where a few of our treasured rarities, brothers and sisters end up, unloved keeping a ship down in the water.

Were`nt they also melted down and used in the production of body bags for the Korean and Vietnam wars?

Social source share

You must be thinking about Worlds Rarest known Soul Record

Not many collectors here know about stuff from non-western countries (and their rarity).

WHAT ABOUT DEREK CHRISTIAN SUDDENLY THERS A VALLEY ON UK MAJOR MINOR AS FAR AS I KNOW KNOW ONLY 2 COPY'S
Social source share

WHAT ABOUT DEREK CHRISTIAN SUDDENLY THERS A VALLEY ON UK MAJOR MINOR AS FAR AS I KNOW KNOW ONLY 2 COPY'S

Hello soulwise,

I think you'll find there are more than 2 known copies. I've sold 2, plus i know another 4 U.K. collectors with copies. Very good record though whistling.gif

Cheers..pottsy

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

what about tmg 720, ive only seen two, had one nicked last year, anyone seen it?

london hlu 10070, had two of these once, sold one to j manship many many years ago for £70 (1975/76)

the one john had was fully printed as a london stock copy, the other was a blank label hand written in, black issues?? south african- must be rare, juna junoff-yesterday has gone? olga label u.k

the larks orange vinyl my reverie on appollo (1134)

the larks- i live true to you-red wax-appollo 1194

encores on checker-when i look at you?? all super rare r&b/doowop/??

stagemasters on slide?

ffloyd jones on vee jay-lonesome day

mamie galore sac

ty karim

ive had the romark disc afore mentioneed and seen a couple more

narbay

rod reviers- impact

i think the pye thing ta;lked about above not as rare as you think

robbie lawson?

chubby checker parkway u,s?

somebody in nottingham had a 444 c jackson, wasnt derek allan or r smith, maybe swifty or steve elliot, what became of that?

theres loads of demo only sides that speculate to the position of a stock copy

what about that soul city avatar on south african, must be rare, a certain eye opener at Hansie Vortrekkers ,black soundalike party night!!! i dont think!

is king moses still rare

try me for a new love

proffessionals on yellow/beige vinyl??

chesterfields- parkway test-think it over

wasnt there a acetate thjing of lillie bryant?

primers?

magnetics-bonnie?

patrice hollaway- boy of my dreams-vip?

counts- shrine?

j r bailey - tears

all stars- disintegrated-motown

billy woods?

the dore rare thing

timothy carr?

.....././////................................................................................

post-1914-1141381424_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!