[Rs] theresa lindsey - sugar mountain - correc-tone

Gold Band

Title: theresa lindsey - sugar mountain - correc-tone
Artist: theresa lindsay
Track: sugar mountain
Label: correc-tone

5841 1964 Record information:

theresa lindsey was born in romulus in 1944, she grew up in the detroit and had a strict religious upbringing, she sang in church. she wasnt allowed to listen to records, only to gospel music.

harbouring a desire to sing r&b, she ventured into detroit and auditioned at motown she was accepted the same day. after she was accepted her mother stopped her, as she had to finish school.

theresa graduated in 1963 & she went back to detroit this time going to audition at correc-tone. theresa was still too young to sign with mr. goldens company so others signed for her without the knowledge of her mother. theresa chose correc-tone because she said that she couldnt see herself happy at berry gordys company, explaining others had been left scratching to survive.

theresas debut single gotta find a way - was a regional hit, with the flip, wonderful one. both sides were penned by popcorn wylie and janie bradford, who being a motown worker used the pseudonym nikki todd.

the sessions were funded by mr. wingate and many of detroits best musicians played on them, including drummer benny benjamin.

theresa had her second correc-tone 45 sugar mountain, which had been earmarked for yvonne vernee. however, it was handed to theresa, who was less than enthused mr. golden loved sugar mountain theresa hated that song. it had sparse sales despite being picked up by atlantic, who had also distributed her gotta find a way. nevertheless, its simple rhythm and brassy track made it a catchy number. theresa continued gigging in detroit, as well as going on the road. she also sang background on sessions something shed done from day one, featuring with yvonne vernee on wilson picketts if you need me.

ken once said to me over a jerry lee lewis track he posted on this thread that he didnt give a stuff that jerry didnt like his own track just dropped in, i love this r&b classic & i dont give a stuff that theresa didnt like sugar mountain, i love it.

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic