Soul Where You Least Expect It

Richard

• Replies 5
  • Views 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've got a copy of the Jealous Kinda Fella Lp that is on Brazilian MCA. Before getting this I never would have dreamed it would have got a release in Brazil. What records do you have from countries you would never think would have soul

Got Otis Redding on Lebanese Stax, apparently they had a plant there prior to the civil war of 1975, but if you read the "Soulsville" story of Stax, it isn't that surprising , because they wanted to reach to all the minorities...Africa/middle east etc.

Still a nice looking oddity.

Social source share

When I was in New Zealand a few years ago, I was going through one of the record shops I had found. On my last day there, whilst rifling through a pile of unsorted 45s round the back of the shop (out of the kindness of the shop owner's heart), I found a NZ RCA issue of "Since I Found My Baby" by The Metros. Looked well neat, with the "red dot" RCA label design. Taking it, amongst others, through to the shop owner, I asked him for a price on all my finds. Imagine my grief when he played it, pulled out his USA Goldmine price guide, and said "sorry - I like this, so I'll be keeping it"!! It was the only record he wouldn't sell me - everything else ranged from between $3 and $12 NZ dollars ($3 = £1).

But, at the same time, it was so nice to find records like this, amongst 150 odd 50s and 60s pop/rock & roll/soul/doo-wop records:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!